Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backup QB ?
Allen is very uninspiring, but Taylor and Burrow really like him. I would prefer it if we took a QB in the later rounds and hope he can become our backup in 2023.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Baker Mayfield... at league minimum. Make the Browns eat the difference. He'd be good trade bait too for a team that has a QB that goes down or just needs a 'capable starter'
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I wanted Alex Smith last year when Joe was coming back from the knee injury. I still want a vet with experience winning. Think the only ones really left are Dalton and Cam Newton.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2022, 11:13 PM)Destro Wrote: I wanted Alex Smith last year when Joe was coming back from the knee injury. I still want a vet with experience winning. Think the only ones really left are Dalton and Cam Newton.

Fitmagic
Gabbert
Mccarron

Pass on cam, really the only one I would want is Fitzpatrick. Smart guy, won a lot in the league and could be a nice coach/qb for burrow.

On a side note, fitzy has made 82m in his career, as a backup/journeyman QB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I hope mini-Burrow falls to us in the later rounds.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I still think with this OL improved we can win with Allen cause we now can run the ball pretty damn sure and all the
pressure won't be on him to lead the team to a win. If Finley can lead us to a win over the Steelers with a good run
game and a Defense that turns the ball over, so can Brandon Allen who I think is much better.

Do I want an upgrade? Sure, I just don't who that would be...

I'm with you on this Nate.. Allen isn't going to end up on a Wheaties box anytime soon,  but he can hand off to Mixon all day and if he has to throw the ball he won't have an entire oline on roller skates anymore, plus he still has a few pretty good receivers who are pretty decent at grabbing those errant balls..   
If Joe does go down it'll mainly depend on what part of the season it happens. Early and it's the rest of the season that's one thing. A few games towards the end is another. 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Backup QB is always a point of contention. On the one hand you have the school of thought that if you have to rely on the backup you're screwed anyways.

Then you have the other group that wants the top notch backup. I'm just not so sure we should go into the season with B. Allen as our guy ?

Fingers crossed it doesn't happen. But if we have to go to the bench for a couple games do we really want to rely on Allen ? Are there any free agents out there we won't have to break the bank on that offer more ?

It is a very legitimate question.  Would it upgrade the position group to bring in a vet with more experience?  Even if it costs a bit more?  Here is why I would say no, and stay with Brandon A:

Consistency and experience.  

Brandon Allen has been with the team for two full seasons, and had to play some of the last season almost entirely with backups (Cleveland Game) and was pretty solid.  I think Burrow is very comfortable with him in the QB room, and Allen has a good knowledge of the scheme.

If someone like Des Ritter inexplicably drops to something like the 3rd round, sure, I might consider drafting him and developing him as a chip to trade away at a later date given his experience and athleticism, but I would probably still keep BA in that scenario.   
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 06:29 AM)Interceptor Wrote: I hope mini-Burrow falls to us in the later rounds.

& at 6'1" Zappe is a mini-Burrow.  Hilarious I do think it would be a good move to bring in a young guy with the intent of developing him as a life-long Burrow backup. 
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 09:18 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I do think it would be a good move to bring in a young guy with the intent of developing him as a life-long Burrow backup. 

Isnt that Brandon Allen?
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 01:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Isnt that Brandon Allen?

I guess that depends on whether Allen's intangibles such as team guy, mentor, etc. exceed the desire to have improved physical talent? Ultimately, I opine it's Burrow or bust for the Bengals and a Super Bowl win; I'm not too invested in who earns the backup QB role. 
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 01:36 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I guess that depends on whether Allen's intangibles such as team guy, mentor, etc. exceed the desire to have improved physical talent? Ultimately, I opine it's Burrow or bust for the Bengals and a Super Bowl win; I'm not too invested in who earns the backup QB role. 

Backup QB just needs to be able to come in and Finish a game.... Or play a few games without hurting the team in case of a short injury.

Having a Backup QB that takes your team to the SB goes on to win SB MVP....     is very very rare lol...   
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 01:39 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Backup QB just needs to be able to come in and Finish a game.... Or play a few games without hurting the team in case of a short injury.

Having a Backup QB that takes your team to the SB goes on to win SB MVP....     is very very rare lol...   

I agree, we don't need Nick Foles 2.0 and it is rare that it happens.
Reply/Quote
Jarrett Guarantano as an UDFA could be a good practice squad add at QB. All the talent in the world injuries have hampered his development. Last I heard he was in California working with Jordan Palmer I wonder if he will get to spend some time with Joey B.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2022, 11:37 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Fitmagic
Gabbert
Mccarron

Pass on cam, really the only one I would want is Fitzpatrick.  Smart guy, won a lot in the league and could be a nice coach/qb for burrow.

Yeah, no. LOL. Dalton and Cam I'd but above him and far, far above McCarron and Gabbert. As a #3, maybe, but not as the backup. I'd take a 3rd round diamond in the rough above them. 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Gabbert
Mccarron

Pass on cam, really the only one I would want is Fitzpatrick. Smart guy, won a lot in the league and could be a nice coach/qb for burrow.

Why the **** do people still think Macaroni is any good?

One would think that if he had any semblance of anything, he'd've been given 1 chance by now.

He's a career journeyman/backup and not a very good one.

And Gabbert's awful.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2022, 02:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I know Taylor is high on Allen, but I wish we had someone better. Fitzy would have been who I tried to get.

I try to not be superstitious, but any time you bring in Fitzpatrick as a backup he ends up starting games, except for last year where he was a starter and instantly got knocked out for the year.  

4 pages in...has someone said Baker Mayfield yet?
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 10:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I try to not be superstitious, but any time you bring in Fitzpatrick as a backup he ends up starting games, except for last year where he was a starter and instantly got knocked out for the year.  

4 pages in...has someone said Baker Mayfield yet?

As soon as Hue gets an OC job he'll be blowing Baker's phone up.  Cool
Reply/Quote

I'm not giving you grief for a typo, but Fitmagic legit sounds like some sort of diet scam drink/powder/program you see on an infomercial from the 80s.

Anyways, if ZT and Burrow think Allen is ok who are we to disagree?
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 10:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not giving you grief for a typo, but Fitmagic legit sounds like some sort of diet scam drink/powder/program you see on an infomercial from the 80s.

Anyways, if ZT and Burrow think Allen is ok who are we to disagree?

With just one scoop a day, Fitmagic will reduce bloat, increase testosterone and make you last longer. For best results, take the Fitmagic pill 30 minutes after the powder for quicker recovery and more immediate results.

You too, could use Fitmagic.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 10:59 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: With just one scoop a day, Fitmagic will reduce bloat, increase testosterone and make you last longer.  For best results, take the Fitmagic pill 30 minutes after the powder for quicker recovery and more immediate results.

You too, could use Fitmagic.

Now this has come to mind:

Reply/Quote