Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ballpark Range To Keep Burrow Long Term This Summer
The going rate for a Top QB is 250 Million over 5 years. That is the new level mark of highest paid QB's, and Burrow will fall into that bracket. So Bengals can forget keeping one of best QBs in game on The Cheap. Hopefully Bengals get this done before start of season, because Bengals almost never talk contracts once season starts, they feel it is time to play football.

I mention this because ESPN home page today is about what it will take to keep Burrow, and they point out what Lemar Jackson and some others are now getting. I don't even want to see Bengals try to go Cheap on this, just get Burrow resigned long term. He's becoming the best quarterback Bengals have ever had, and still early in his career. With Burrow, the Bengals are a good team. Without Burrow, this team goes back to last place. So I hope they get him resigned this Summer. Around 250 Million over 5 years is the going rate.

These new quarterback wages should make NFL raise the teams salary cap limit. The cap limit is going to need raised by NFL to adjust to this. Hopefully NFL does this so Bengals can keep other key players. Not just Bengals, all teams will need cap raised if QB pay go's up this much across the board.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
or you could not pay Burrow and then trade him: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-idea-to-make-sure-we-win-for-years.

Sarcasm WTFGaah
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nah...you sign him to a 7 year contract at vet minimum fully guaranteed......

AND

At the same time you hire him as the Bengals official goodwill ambassador at an annual salary of 55 million per year for a term of 7 years / no cut. To make sure there is no conflict this job only is active between the week after the Super Bowl to the first week of NFL OTAs.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 01:47 PM)kevin Wrote: The going rate for a Top QB is 250 Million over 5 years.  That is the new level mark of highest paid QB's, and Burrow will fall into that bracket. So Bengals can forget keeping one of best QBs in game on The Cheap.  Hopefully Bengals get this done before start of season, because Bengals almost never talk contracts once season starts, they feel it is time to play football.

I mention this because ESPN home page today is about what it will take to keep Burrow, and they point out what Lemar Jackson and some others are now getting.  I don't even want to see Bengals try to go Cheap on this, just get Burrow resigned long term. He's becoming the best quarterback Bengals have ever had, and still early in his career.  With Burrow, the Bengals are a good team.  Without Burrow, this team goes back to last place. So I hope they get him resigned this Summer.  Around 250 Million over 5 years is the going rate.  

These new quarterback wages should make NFL raise the teams salary cap limit.  The cap limit is going to need raised by NFL to adjust to this. Hopefully NFL does this so Bengals can keep other key players.  Not just Bengals, all teams will need cap raised if QB pay go's up this much across the board.

You keep saying this about the cap.   Everyone already knows the cap is going to rise and keep rising, the TV contracts are already set, the only unknown is the gambling revenue, which will only increase it more.

The cap is not some arbitrary thing the NFL decides to do randomly.  There is a formula in place and a revenue sharing agreement that requires a certain amount allocated to the salary cap.

Reply/Quote
They aren't going to be lowballing him. The biggest issue is probably coming up with the guaranteed money, and maybe tring to add to the guaranted money each year.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 02:27 PM)Joelist Wrote: Nah...you sign him to a 7 year contract at vet minimum fully guaranteed......

AND

At the same time you hire him as the Bengals official goodwill ambassador at an annual salary of 55 million per year for a term of 7 years / no cut. To make sure there is no conflict this job only is active between the week after the Super Bowl to the first week of NFL OTAs.

The NFL would never allow it.  Some team would have tried it already.   A team with a ton of money could just have a full office of goodwill ambassadors made up of all pros getting paid veteran minimum.  Plus I believe the owners want the salary cap to keep contracts in check to a certain degree and increase profits. So I doubt they would be pleased with some team trying to get around it in such a way.

Also from the CBA:

https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/article/13

Quote:A player’s Salary shall also include any and all consideration received by the player or his Player Affiliate from a Club or Club Affiliate, even if such consideration is ostensibly paid to the player for services other than football playing services, if the NFL can demonstrate before the Impartial Arbitrator that the consideration paid to the player or Player Affiliate for such nonfootball services does not represent a reasonable approximation of the fair market value of such services as performed by such player. The Impartial Arbitrator’s determination may take into account, among other things: (1) any actual dollar amounts the player or Player Affiliate received for similar nonfootball playing services from an independent third party; and (2) the percentage of total compensation for nonfootball services received from third parties versus the Team or Team Affiliate.

So as I understand it I'm pretty sure if the Bengals start paying Burrow 55 million a year to be a goodwill ambassador that arbitrator is going to call foul on that and say that is part of his football salary.   Then the Bengals probably get fined and lose draft picks for violating the cap rules.  Not that it would happen anyway because the NFL has to approve contracts and if they see the Bengals submit a contract for Burrow paying veteran minimum all sorts of red flags are going to go up. 

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I expect the Bengals and Burrow on working on a contract extension versus a new contract. I expect the extension to be for 8 to 10 years with 60% of the agreed upon amount guaranteed.

We have a very low cap with Joe in 2023 of 11.5 million and a reasonable cap hit for Joe in 2024 as Bengals exercised the 5th year option for over $29 million.

So today he i under contract for 2 years for 40.7 million. I think they add an 8 year extension for 540 million dollars. So in essence contract would be for $580 million or average of 58 million a year making Joe the highest paid QB's in the league. I think the guarantee portion though is only 60 to 65% which is very important also for cap and cash reasons.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 02:27 PM)Joelist Wrote: Nah...you sign him to a 7 year contract at vet minimum fully guaranteed......

AND

If any NFL owner finds a way to sneakily spend billions of bucks on the roster per year, it ain't gonna be Mike Brown. The Walton family bought the Broncos, and they're worth over $170 billion, so they could sink the entire NFL payroll into their team if they wanted.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 04:59 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I expect the Bengals and Burrow on working on a contract extension versus a new contract. I expect the extension to be for 8 to 10 years with 60% of the agreed upon amount guaranteed.

We have a very low cap with Joe in 2023 of 11.5 million and a reasonable cap hit for Joe in 2024 as Bengals exercised the 5th year option for over $29 million.

So today he i under contract for 2 years for 40.7 million. I think they add an 8 year extension for 540 million dollars. So in essence contract would be for $580 million or average of 58 million a year making Joe the highest paid QB's in the league. I think the guarantee portion though is only 60 to 65% which is very important also for cap and cash reasons.

A $540MM extension over 8 years is $67.5MM annually. I fully believe Joe is going to get paid, but man, I hope he isn’t that expensive. Lol.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 06:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If any NFL owner finds a way to sneakily spend billions of bucks on the roster per year, it ain't gonna be Mike Brown. The Walton family bought the Broncos, and they're worth over $170 billion, so they could sink the entire NFL payroll into their team if they wanted.

It was a joke.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 06:50 PM)Joelist Wrote: It was a joke.

Honestly hard to tell these days.  I've seen more than one occasion where something like that was proposed here.  Heck I recall a discussion some time back where someone suggested Burrow take less money in exchange for the Bengals donating money to his charity.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 06:50 PM)Joelist Wrote: It was a joke.

I know.  I still wanted to talk about the new owner wealth disparity.  
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 01:47 PM)kevin Wrote: The going rate for a Top QB is 250 Million over 5 years.  That is the new level mark of highest paid QB's, and Burrow will fall into that bracket. So Bengals can forget keeping one of best QBs in game on The Cheap.  Hopefully Bengals get this done before start of season, because Bengals almost never talk contracts once season starts, they feel it is time to play football.

I mention this because ESPN home page today is about what it will take to keep Burrow, and they point out what Lemar Jackson and some others are now getting.  I don't even want to see Bengals try to go Cheap on this, just get Burrow resigned long term. He's becoming the best quarterback Bengals have ever had, and still early in his career.  With Burrow, the Bengals are a good team.  Without Burrow, this team goes back to last place. So I hope they get him resigned this Summer.  Around 250 Million over 5 years is the going rate.  

These new quarterback wages should make NFL raise the teams salary cap limit.  The cap limit is going to need raised by NFL to adjust to this. Hopefully NFL does this so Bengals can keep other key players.  Not just Bengals, all teams will need cap raised if QB pay go's up this much across the board.

They will pay burrow... But Burrow is smart enough to know others need money too
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 06:35 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: A $540MM extension over 8 years is $67.5MM annually. I fully believe Joe is going to get paid, but man, I hope he isn’t that expensive. Lol.

It is 10 years
2023 and 2024 and then 8 more years
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2023, 05:06 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It is 10 years
2023 and 2024 and then 8 more years

Is that how they do it? I was always under the impression that his current contract doesn't matter. He's under contract for two more years, and then the extension would add eight more years at $67.5MM. 

If so, I learned something. Contract specifics aren't really my strong suit. 
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2023, 05:11 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Is that how they do it? I was always under the impression that his current contract doesn't matter. He's under contract for two more years, and then the extension would add eight more years at $67.5MM. 

If so, I learned something. Contract specifics aren't really my strong suit. 

You can add money to remaining contract, IIRC.
That helps allow the cap to be more spread out.
While this year and next year could have higher payout, it could result in lower amount being spent the following years after.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

AND

Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2023, 08:31 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: They will pay burrow... But Burrow is smart enough to know others need money too

That isn't Burrows job or his agents job to take less so that others can be paid.  Is Mike Brown and Family going to take less so others can be paid, of course not. 

Of course they will pay Burrow. The only one who has suggested maybe not to is old fuddy dud Mike Brown, but the winning lately shows Mike may not be the great dictator anymore.  His Daughter and rest of Family will probably pay Burrow, if for no other reason than there really are not gong to be any Cheap starting quarterbacks in NFL anymore. 

Now I do have to say that I thought Bengals HAD to do a Burrow contract over the next 12 weeks. My Mistake.  Burrow will not be a Free Agent until March of 2025.  So it is NEXT summer that the clock is ticking if Burrow not resigned by then.  Of course contracts may go up  even higher in 2024 as quarterbacks such as Allen and Mahomes get more than Lemar Jackson,

We can not expect Burrow to take far less than Mahomes, Allen, Lemar Jackson, Watson, because other Bengals need to be paid also.  Burrow wouldn't have a very good agent if they fell for that one.  If other teams can pay their quarterback, so can Bengals. 

It is good to see Burrow is NOT a free agent after 2023 season.  He is after 2024, so Next Summer the clock will be ticking on keeping Burrow in 2025 and beyond. 

One option would be to go back to the draft, but the Bengals would end up paying a top pick QB and he could be a loser like Klingler or Akili Smith.  It's not a good option.  Super Bowl type quarterbacks do not come out of the draft that often.  The best option is to lock Burrow in long term. Burrow is the best chance for Bengals to win a Super Bowl. 

So of course they will Pay Him, but Fans can not expect Burrow to end up paid less than other top QBs just because others on Bengals need money too.  That would just be Cincinnati going back to being Cheap again.  If other teams can pay top QBs, there is no reason for Burrow not to get what other top QB's get. 

Now one on here said The NFL Owners Meeting has nothing to do with the Salary Cap. I find that hard to believe. I hope he is right that the cap is just going to go UP, regardless of team owners meeting. Let the cap go UP, so that Others Can Be Paid Also, as you say, and Bengals can keep Super Bowl Team together going forward.

If it is true that the salary cap is just going to go UP without team owners meeting in off season, then maybe resigning Burrow after cap goes up in 2024 is a good option. So that others get money also.

It is good to know that Burrow is NOT a free agent until 2025, so they have next off season to resign him. I was afraid it was this year, it is next year.

IMPORTANT ADD ON WITHOUT BUMPING UP ON LIST : ESPN home page this week talking Burrow needed signed and price tag was why I discussed it on Bengals Site. However ESPN is wrong. Bengals have Burrow under contract in 2023 and 2024 and have already agreed to his 2024 contract option. This means Burrow needs signed next year in 2024 for 2025 and beyond. Bengals do not have to resign Burrow before this season starts. ESPN was wrong talking Burrow contract this year, it's next year......Now Bengals can resign Burrow a year early, but they don't have to. I can see as many reasons to reign him in 2024 as i can in 2023. ....Again, ESPN made it sound like Burrow has to be resigned this year, and that is wrong.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2023, 01:55 PM)kevin Wrote: That isn't Burrows job or his agents job to take less so that others can be paid.  Is Mike Brown and Family going to take less so others can be paid, of course not. 

Of course they will pay Burrow. The only one who has suggested maybe not to is old fuddy dud Mike Brown, but the winning lately shows Mike may not be the great dictator anymore.  His Daughter and rest of Family will probably pay Burrow, if for no other reason than there really are not gong to be any Cheap starting quarterbacks in NFL anymore. 

Now I do have to say that I thought Bengals HAD to do a Burrow contract over the next 12 weeks. My Mistake.  Burrow will not be a Free Agent until March of 2025.  So it is NEXT summer that the clock is ticking if Burrow not resigned by then.  Of course contracts may go up  even higher in 2024 as quarterbacks such as Allen and Mahomes get more than Lemar Jackson,

We can not expect Burrow to take far less than Mahomes, Allen, Lemar Jackson, Watson, because other Bengals need to be paid also.  Burrow wouldn't have a very good agent if they fell for that one.  If other teams can pay their quarterback, so can Bengals. 

It is good to see Burrow is NOT a free agent after 2023 season.  He is after 2024, so Next Summer the clock will be ticking on keeping Burrow in 2025 and beyond. 

One option would be to go back to the draft, but the Bengals would end up paying a top pick QB and he could be a loser like Klingler or Akili Smith.  It's not a good option.  Super Bowl type quarterbacks do not come out of the draft that often.  The best option is to lock Burrow in long term. Burrow is the best chance for Bengals to win a Super Bowl. 

So of course they will Pay Him, but Fans can not expect Burrow to end up paid less than other top QBs just because others on Bengals need money too.  That would just be Cincinnati going back to being Cheap again.  If other teams can pay top QBs, there is no reason for Burrow not to get what other top QB's get. 

Now one on here said The NFL Owners Meeting has nothing to do with the Salary Cap.  I find that hard to believe. I hope he is right that the cap is just going to go UP, regardless of team owners meeting. Let the cap go UP, so that Others Can Be Paid Also, as you say, and Bengals can keep Super Bowl Team together going forward.  

If it is true that the salary cap is just going to go UP without team owners meeting in off season, then maybe resigning Burrow after cap goes up in 2024 is a good option.  So that others get money also.

It is good to know that Burrow is NOT a free agent until 2025, so they have next off season to resign him.  I was afraid it was this year, it is next year.

IMPORTANT ADD ON WITHOUT BUMPING UP ON LIST :  ESPN home page this week talking Burrow needed signed and price tag was why I discussed it on Bengals Site. However ESPN is wrong. Bengals have Burrow under contract in 2023 and 2024 and have already agreed to his 2024 contract option.  This means Burrow needs signed next year in 2024 for 2025 and beyond.  Bengals do not have to resign Burrow before this season starts.  ESPN was wrong talking Burrow contract this year, it's next year......Now Bengals can resign Burrow a year early, but they don't have to.  I can see as many reasons to reign him in 2024 as i can in 2023. ....Again, ESPN made it sound like Burrow has to be resigned this year, and that is wrong.

10-4. Copy that, good buddy.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Two things for certain…the CAP WILL GO UP every year. Burrow will be the highest paid player in the NFL for at least a few months. His contract will be structured so that others’ can stay with the team (Chase, Higgins, etc). Barring serious injury, he will play for the Bengals 10-12 more years.
Reply/Quote