Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Band I don't like that other people do
(04-12-2017, 10:23 AM)Wyche Wrote: I like The Doors, but not as much as a lot of folks do....and I LOVE Pink Floyd.....but replace RUSH with The Grateful Dead. ThumbsUp

I used to not like the Grateful Dead either. You have to be in a certain mood for some Dead. But they do jam like no other!
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2017, 03:54 PM)magikod Wrote: I used to not like the Grateful Dead either. You have to be in a certain mood for some Dead. But they do jam like no other!

I hear you.  I find that as I age, the more I like them.  I never really understood the big time fascination with them (even though I liked some of their studio stuff), until I started listening to the live stuff and watching their concert footage.  Even my 71 year old dad said "damn, them boys can pick!" after watching a concert I have on DVD.  Allman Bros. could jam out some too.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2017, 04:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: I hear you.  I find that as I age, the more I like them.  I never really understood the big time fascination with them (even though I liked some of their studio stuff), until I started listening to the live stuff and watching their concert footage.  Even my 71 year old dad said "damn, them boys can pick!" after watching a concert I have on DVD.  Allman Bros. could jam out some too.

yeah allman bros are amazing as well.  :andy:
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
The Offspring cause me physical pain, I am not joking about this. Two of the guys went to my high school, they practiced down the street from one of my best friend's house. They sucked back then.

Bush makes me want to asphyxiate on my own vomit.

Agreed with xxlt, I loathe The Eagles.

Grateful Dead, Umphreys McGee, pretty much any jam band.

I think U2 is the most overrated piece of shit band that has ever existed.

Smashing Pumpkins, because I cannot abide Billy Corgan's voice; it's either whiny or breathy and both suck. The band is technically very good and inventive though

Rush, Getty Lee's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I am at a complete loss as to how anyone listens to it. I do understand that people feel the same way about Layne Staley and one of my all time favorite bands, Alice in Chains. But those people are insane.

Lastly, joke bands that maybe some people still like that are some of the most putrid crap published in human history, Limp Bizkit and Crazy Town. Not sure anyone would admit to liking either band at this point though.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 01:35 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The Offspring cause me physical pain, I am not joking about this.  Two of the guys went to my high school, they practiced down the street from one of my best friend's house.  They sucked back then.

Smashing Pumpkins, because I cannot abide Billy Corgan's voice; it's either whiny or breathy and both suck.  The band is technically very good and inventive though

Rush, Getty Lee's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me.  I am at a complete loss as to how anyone listens to it.  I do understand that people feel the same way about Layne Staley and one of my all time favorite bands, Alice in Chains.  But those people are insane.

Lastly, joke bands that maybe some people still like that are some of the most putrid crap published in human history, Limp Bizkit and Crazy Town.  Not sure anyone would admit to liking either band at this point though.

so you don't like chocolate starfish and hotdog flavored water?
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 01:35 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The Offspring cause me physical pain, I am not joking about this.  Two of the guys went to my high school, they practiced down the street from one of my best friend's house.  They sucked back then.

Smashing Pumpkins, because I cannot abide Billy Corgan's voice; it's either whiny or breathy and both suck.  The band is technically very good and inventive though

Rush, Getty Lee's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me.  I am at a complete loss as to how anyone listens to it.  I do understand that people feel the same way about Layne Staley and one of my all time favorite bands, Alice in Chains.  But those people are insane.

Lastly, joke bands that maybe some people still like that are some of the most putrid crap published in human history, Limp Bizkit and Crazy Town.  Not sure anyone would admit to liking either band at this point though.

Oh man....the Offspring.  That shit came out during my college days, and was literally everywhere you turned.  Some dudes in my dorm wore that shit out.  I absolutely cannot stand that band, in fact, I had blocked them from the archives of my memory until now.  Thanks.....Stooler fan. LMAO

I wish someone would smash them......

Sick .....and I have never even heard of Crazy Town.

Pop country music is the absolute worst thing out there...."that tractor rap shit ain't country".

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2017, 04:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: I hear you.  I find that as I age, the more I like them.  I never really understood the big time fascination with them (even though I liked some of their studio stuff), until I started listening to the live stuff and watching their concert footage.  Even my 71 year old dad said "damn, them boys can pick!" after watching a concert I have on DVD.  Allman Bros. could jam out some too.

I've gotten into the Dead very recently.  Never had interest before, but re-appropriated a CD from my father-in-law.  I find myself listening to it way more than I ever would have expected.  I really enjoy Sugar Magnolia and St Stephen. 
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 10:35 AM)samhain Wrote: I've gotten into the Dead very recently.  Never had interest before, but re-appropriated a CD from my father-in-law.  I find myself listening to it way more than I ever would have expected.  I really enjoy Sugar Magnolia and St Stephen. 

Good tunes, Sugar Magnolia is one of my all time faves.....live versions of Shakedown Street, Me and My Uncle, West LA Fadeaway, Cumberland Blues, Bertha, US Blues, The Music Never Stopped, Playin' in the Band, One More Saturday Night, and several others are some of my favorite recordings ever.

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 06:04 PM)magikod Wrote: Rolling Stones are WAY better!  :andy:

The Stones were shameless thieves, but at least they never lied about it. And by stealing from and mimicking great American Blues artists they put out music that was usually at least good and sometimes even flirted with great.

The Beatles were just hacks during the early years. Then, once they had more money than they could ever spend they actually learned how to play and it wasn't long after that the wheels fell off (go ahead and blame Yoko, I blame a young Obama in Kenya Ninja ). Funny thing - the most beloved Beatle, Paul, never got much better. Lennon at least tried some new things and wrote some good music and tried to grow as a human being, and Harrison really learned how to play and churned out some great music after the band broke up. Hell, even Ringo created better stuff post Beatles than McCartney or Lennon, so it is funny that they are so revered. Best Beatle Harrison, then Starr, then Lennon, then McCartney. Yet in the eyes of their adoring public they often would be ranked in the opposite order.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
For you Floyd fans and recent converts to jam bands like the Dead, check out Government Mule and Robert Randolph and the Family Band. Both are great. I know this thread is supposed to be about hatin' on something so gimme a second...
Yeah, I will agree again that Rush sucks. But I do love Dan Patrick's "cover" of Fly By Night. Hilarious
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 11:40 AM)xxlt Wrote: For you Floyd fans and recent converts to jam bands like the Dead, check out Government Mule and Robert Randolph and the Family Band. Both are great. I know this thread is supposed to be about hatin' on something so gimme a second...
Yeah, I will agree again that Rush sucks. But I do love Dan Patrick's "cover" of Fly By Night.  Hilarious

Love the Mule, and I caught Robert Randolph last year at a music festival in my hometown.  He and the band were PHENOMENAL.  They closed out with Sly and the Family Stone's "Thank You for Lettin Me Be Mice Elf", and absolutely killed it.  They even got up and switched out instruments, with each member playing every piece, and it was seamless.  Great live act.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 11:34 AM)xxlt Wrote: The Stones were shameless thieves, but at least they never lied about it. And by stealing from and mimicking great American Blues artists they put out music that was usually at least good and sometimes even flirted with great.

The Beatles were just hacks during the early years. Then, once they had more money than they could ever spend they actually learned how to play and it wasn't long after that the wheels fell off (go ahead and blame Yoko, I blame a young Obama in Kenya Ninja ). Funny thing - the most beloved Beatle, Paul, never got much better. Lennon at least tried some new things and wrote some good music and tried to grow as a human being, and Harrison really learned how to play and churned out some great music after the band broke up. Hell, even Ringo created better stuff post Beatles than McCartney or Lennon, so it is funny that they are so revered. Best Beatle Harrison, then Starr, then Lennon, then McCartney. Yet in the eyes of their adoring public they often would be ranked in the opposite order.

Never been a big Lennon fan.  Really like almost everything George did with and after the Beatles.  Paul can be cheesy at times, but I like him better than John.  His singing is more pleasant to listen to.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 09:58 AM)Wyche Wrote: Oh man....the Offspring.  That shit came out during my college days, and was literally everywhere you turned.  Some dudes in my dorm wore that shit out.  I absolutely cannot stand that band, in fact, I had blocked them from the archives of my memory until now.  Thanks.....Stooler fan. LMAO

I wish someone would smash them......
I swear the Offspring are like friggin' cockroaches.

Just when you thought you'd never hear from them again...  there they are!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 11:34 AM)xxlt Wrote: The Stones were shameless thieves, but at least they never lied about it. And by stealing from and mimicking great American Blues artists they put out music that was usually at least good and sometimes even flirted with great.

He really learned how to play after being in the Beatles?

You should take that comedy act on the road.

I'm no huge Beatles fan but I'm pretty sure he was a great player while in the band as well.

Not some hack.

I do have to agree that he is the most underrated among the group. 
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 01:35 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think U2 is the most overrated piece of shit band that has ever existed. 

I agree with you on this and The Edge as well for his guitar playing(effects noodling).

You'd think this band wrote the best music ever by the way people and the media fawn all over them.
Reply/Quote

But you're taking the Beatles out of context.  They were something never seen before.  And it was more than just the music.  They were an utter phenomenon.  They were pioneers.   They absolutely deserve their due.  They are deeply woven into the fabric of rock and roll history.

People will say Elvis sucks.  It only means they have no understanding of him or the times in which he lived. 

Without Elvis, there is no Beatles.  Without the Beatles, there is no...name any band that came after.  They were a garage band that inspired the birth of so many other garage bands who grew up to be legends and inspired countless other bands. 

Some people get a moment in history.  They are remembered, probably by some more than others.  Then there are others who make history.  Their stories last forever.

Also don't see how their post-Beatles careers has anything to do with them as a band.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Man, you guys are all naming some of my favorite bands!

Nirvana - most of these groups I may not like still have one or two songs I'm into...they have maybe a couple songs I think are just ok

Grateful Dead

James Brown - this is a tough one...no question he had a powerful voice and a great entertainer...I would have gone to a concert, but I just can't stand 95% of his music (the other 5% is pretty good, though)
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
I like this thread. It shows how people expect and get different things out of the music they listen to.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 07:49 PM)McC Wrote: But you're taking the Beatles out of context.  They were something never seen before.  And it was more than just the music.  They were an utter phenomenon.  They were pioneers.   They absolutely deserve their due.  They are deeply woven into the fabric of rock and roll history.

People will say Elvis sucks.  It only means they have no understanding of him or the times in which he lived. 

Without Elvis, there is no Beatles.  Without the Beatles, there is no...name any band that came after.  They were a garage band that inspired the birth of so many other garage bands who grew up to be legends and inspired countless other bands. 

Some people get a moment in history.  They are remembered, probably by some more than others.  Then there are others who make history.  Their stories last forever.

Also don't see how their post-Beatles careers has anything to do with them as a band.

Without Carl Perkins (a MUCH better musician), there is no Elvis.....without John Lee Hooker, there is no boogie beat to base rock n roll on......and so the story goes....

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 07:22 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I agree with you on this and The Edge as well for his guitar playing(effects noodling).

You'd think this band wrote the best music ever by the way people and the media fawn all over them.

U2 isn't my favorite band or even one I listen to regularly, but I think at one point they managed to put together a couple of pretty good albums.  Unfortunately, I think that success and fan adoration inflated their egos to a point where virtually everything they've put out since Rattle and Hum has been self-indulgent trash.  It's almost unlistenable to me.
Reply/Quote