Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Beating a dead horse, but.....
....Jonah and Mixon have been absolutely dreadful this year. Joe Mixon may be the biggest reason for our offensive woes. His pass blocking is atrocious, and his running not much better. Conversely, Perine has not allowed a single pressure all year. Williams has not been much better than Mixon.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/11/02/bengals-face-uncomfortable-problems-joe-mixon-jonah-williams/

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I still hold out hope for Jonah if for no other reason than blind optimism.

Mixon, though. I mean. I've already said I'd be fine with Perine as the main back moving forward especially if Zac is not even going to run the ball much.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:37 AM)Wyche Wrote: ....Jonah and Mixon have been absolutely dreadful this year. Joe Mixon may be the biggest reason for our offensive woes. His pass blocking is atrocious, and his running not much better. Conversely, Perine has not allowed a single pressure all year. Williams has not been much better than Mixon.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/11/02/bengals-face-uncomfortable-problems-joe-mixon-jonah-williams/

And yet there's a thread on the top page of this forum titled "Why can't you just believe in Joe Mixon".
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:43 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I still hold out hope for Jonah if for no other reason than blind optimism.

Mixon, though. I mean. I've already said I'd be fine with Perine as the main back moving forward especially if Zac is not even going to run the ball much.

I know Williams is playing after dislocating a knee cap, but he wasn't very good prior to the injury. I hate to see it, because I had hopes for him, and was a fan of the pick. I hope your optimism pans out.

I think Joe is done. When you peep those numbers, it's no wonder they abandon the run. I think it's time to use more Perine and Evans.

(11-02-2022, 10:43 AM)Whatever Wrote: And yet there's a thread on the top page of this forum titled "Why can't you just believe in Joe Mixon".

LoL, right? Hell, I had heard they were going to line up Garrett on LC, I posted that I thought maybe they should just let LC pound on him and run Joe right at him. Well he didn't line up there, and after watching the game, I don't think it would have worked anyway.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:37 AM)Wyche Wrote: ....Jonah and Mixon have been absolutely dreadful this year. Joe Mixon may be the biggest reason for our offensive woes. His pass blocking is atrocious, and his running not much better. Conversely, Perine has not allowed a single pressure all year. Williams has not been much better than Mixon.

Yes, and I find it rather curious that a pair of players who up until not too long ago were viewed as cornerstones of the offense have lost all luster, once the supporting cast around them has been improved.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:47 AM)Wyche Wrote: I think Joe is done. When you peep those numbers, it's no wonder they abandon the run. I think it's time to use more Perine and Evans.

Going to Perine full time would help our predictability (wouldn't know if we're running or passing) plus when we do pass, Perine is a MUCH better pass blocker than Mixon. Sure, we would lose the home run threat, but does Mixon even have that anymore?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:49 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, and I find it rather curious that a pair of players who up until not too long ago were viewed as cornerstones of the offense have lost all luster, once the supporting cast around them has been improved.

I dunno what's up with Jonah, I know he's playing hurt, but I think Mixon is just out of gas. He doesn't *seem* like a guy that would just lay down after getting paid but you never know. 

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:50 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Going to Perine full time would help our predictability (wouldn't know if we're running or passing) plus when we do pass, Perine is a MUCH better pass blocker than Mixon. Sure, we would lose the home run threat, but does Mixon even have that anymore?

Absolutely agree.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:51 AM)Wyche Wrote: I dunno what's up with Jonah, I know he's playing hurt, but I think Mixon is just out of gas. He doesn't *seem* like a guy that would just lay down after getting paid but you never know. 

with mixon it seems he doesnt get enough carrys to really get going... Some running backs need to touch the ball often to get it rolling.  and we abandon the run very quickly.

Pass blocking is a huge issue and a big reason i was not a fan of letting Gio go
Reply/Quote
It really is these 2 players sinking the offense right now (and a bit of Collins). We’ve seen this before when 2 guys are so extraordinarily bad it can doom the whole thing; Ogbuehi and Fisher.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:51 AM)Wyche Wrote: I dunno what's up with Jonah, I know he's playing hurt, but I think Mixon is just out of gas. He doesn't *seem* like a guy that would just lay down after getting paid but you never know. 

That may very well be the case, but from an optics standpoint, going down on first contact like he has been after what we've known him to be capable of, gives the appearance of a complete lack of effort or drive.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:43 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I still hold out hope for Jonah if for no other reason than blind optimism.

Jonah has flashed and is still super young. He had a putrid game against the Browns but had one of the best games of his career against the Falcons. I really think he struggles against elite talent - let's also not forget he dislocated his knee a few weeks ago. The highs and lows are just crazy with him. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

Yep Perine has been an exceptional pass blocker this season.

0 pressures allowed.
88.7 pass block grade this season according to PFF.

Mixon, on the other hand, has a 24.3 pass block grade and has allowed 3 sacks.

This is definitely Jonah's worst season to-date as a pass blocker.
I'm not sure what it is, but I see him missing on some blocks this year that I don't recall seeing him have difficulties with in the previous two years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 11:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep Perine has been an exceptional pass blocker this season.

0 pressures allowed.
88.7 pass block grade this season according to PFF.

Mixon, on the other hand, has a 24.3 pass block grade and has allowed 3 sacks.

This is definitely Jonah's worst season to-date as a pass blocker.
I'm not sure what it is, but I see him missing on some blocks this year that I don't recall seeing him have difficulties with in the previous two years.

Absolutely. I mentioned he did dislocate a knee cap and is playing through it, but he wasn't very good prior to that either. It's a shame, I had high hopes for him, and was a big fan of the pick at the time.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 11:29 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: with mixon it seems he doesnt get enough carrys to really get going... Some running backs need to touch the ball often to get it rolling.  and we abandon the run very quickly.

Pass blocking is a huge issue and a big reason i was not a fan of letting Gio go

When a guy is getting less than 3ypc sometimes, how long do you roll before you get behind? As the numbers mention, he isn't breaking any tackles or making anyone miss. That was really evident Monday night.  He had 8 carries for 27 yards with a long of 6. That simply isn't cutting it. Then there's the whole pass blocking bit, which frankly is piss poor. We don't want to be predictable, but how can you trust a guy like that in a passing situation on third down? You can't. The coaches just need to go on and pull the plug.

(11-02-2022, 11:34 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It really is these 2 players sinking the offense right now (and a bit of Collins). We’ve seen this before when 2 guys are so extraordinarily bad it can doom the whole thing; Ogbuehi and Fisher.

Pretty much. 

(11-02-2022, 11:34 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That may very well be the case, but from an optics standpoint, going down on first contact like he has been after what we've known him to be capable of, gives the appearance of a complete lack of effort or drive.

Yep, that's why I added the caveat at the end of my post. I sure hope it isn't the case, but the optics are bad for sure.

(11-02-2022, 11:35 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Jonah has flashed and is still super young. He had a putrid game against the Browns but had one of the best games of his career against the Falcons. I really think he struggles against elite talent - let's also not forget he dislocated his knee a few weeks ago. The highs and lows are just crazy with him. 

The problem, to me, is there have been too many lows this year.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 11:50 AM)Wyche Wrote: When a guy is getting less than 3ypc sometimes, how long do you roll before you get behind? As the numbers mention, he isn't breaking any tackles or making anyone miss. That was really evident Monday night.  He had 8 carries for 27 yards with a long of 6. That simply isn't cutting it. Then there's the whole pass blocking bit, which frankly is piss poor. We don't want to be predictable, but how can you trust a guy like that in a passing situation on third down? You can't. The coaches just need to go on and pull the plug.

Is it the players or the Scheme and coaches?   Seemed like we upgraded the players... But things are going backwards.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 11:52 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Is it the players or the Scheme and coaches?   Seemed like we upgraded the players... But things are going backwards.

Could be a bit of both. In Mixon's case, however, there have been times where all he has to do is break an arm tackle or make a guy miss and he hasn't done that. Judging him alone, I believe it's him. If he was supposed to be "just a guy", we wouldn't be having this conversation. He's not, and not being paid like that either. It seems his days are numbered for whatever reason....be it nothing left in the tank, laying down after getting paid, or scheme. They've adapted the scheme over the last few weeks, like they did during Pollack's first tenure, and it still sucks. When they changed it up in 2018 (?), he flourished in the second half of the season. Maybe he's playing hurt, I dunno, but it's time for a change up.

Reply/Quote
I have little doubt we will be drafting a running back early in this next draft.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 12:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I have little doubt we will be drafting a running back early in this next draft.

The needs are starting to pile up.

CB
TE
OT
RB

Just off the top of my head.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:50 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Going to Perine full time would help our predictability (wouldn't know if we're running or passing) plus when we do pass, Perine is a MUCH better pass blocker than Mixon. Sure, we would lose the home run threat, but does Mixon even have that anymore?

I honestly don't remember Mixon ever being a legit homerun threat. I think he believes he is, but you have to be able to break those ankle tackles to do that and he just falls down.
Reply/Quote