Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Becton visiting
(03-16-2024, 01:01 PM)Okeana Wrote: What player at 18 do you feel fits the RT role on our team?

For me, Taliese Fuaga or Tyler Guyton would be tremendous.  JC Latham is actually the highest rated RT, but 'bama OL scare me.  Amarious Mims is also rated in that range, and has tremendous upside, but he's down on my board due to injury concerns.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This is a great OT draft. Just as other teams will go after a top 3 or top 4 QB, the Bengals need to secure a top 3 OT or Bowers with first pick.

They have 10 picks and not 10 roster spots,

I will be disappointed if we sit at 18 in round 1 and not move up to get a franchise RT for the next 5 years on a rookie's salary versus a 2nd vet contract which is a lot more expensive for the position.

There are projected LT studs in this draft, we need a RT, but if Brown goes down, we have an injury replacement in house other than just Carmen.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 01:09 PM)Whatever Wrote: For me, Taliese Fuaga or Tyler Guyton would be tremendous.  JC Latham is actually the highest rated RT, but 'bama OL scare me.  Amarious Mims is also rated in that range, and has tremendous upside, but he's down on my board due to injury concerns.

Fuaga is the number 1 OT in draft imo, don’t see him sliding, I have Guyton and Latham as late first or early second guys, they are way overhyped. I’m actually really high on fautanu and Barton, I think they have positional diversity and great tape. Mims is a guy I would take over guyton or Latham, he’s basically a higher upside similar guy. With all that being said if it’s my choice then I sign becton and draft fautanu, Fuaga or Barton. Best player plays and you have guys who have position flexibility when you need that guard or center as these contracts expire

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
The point is they are going to get a plug and play OT at 18. This is why I am not that concerned about Becton - they are essentially signing a backup OT here. Tart on the other hand is more important to me as he would be part of the IDL rotation they are rebuilding. We have Rankins and Hill as the 3T rotation so Tart is part of the NT rotation.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 01:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: The point is they are going to get a plug and play OT at 18. This is why I am not that concerned about Becton - they are essentially signing a backup OT here. Tart on the other hand is more important to me as he would be part of the IDL rotation they are rebuilding. We have Rankins and Hill as the 3T rotation so Tart is part of the NT rotation.

Maybe becton has the possibility of being a pro bowl left guard, does he not matter then?

Reply/Quote
Also i would like to mention that pollack coached becton in his best year. After that he had some great offensive line coaches like John Benton and Keith Carter. The entire offensive line for the jets was a disaster over those three years. Offensive line coaches are among the most important in the league, I think people are overlooking these issues and putting all the issues on the player. I think he would be a solid signing especially if pollack has confidence in him.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 01:42 PM)Okeana Wrote: Also i would like to mention that pollack coached becton in his best year.  After that he had some great offensive line coaches like John Benton and Keith Carter.  The entire offensive line for the jets was a disaster over those three years.  Offensive line coaches are among the most important in the league, I think people are overlooking these issues and putting all the issues on the player.  I think he would be a solid signing especially if pollack has confidence in him.

True enough. We should know about this after Turner managed in 2 seasons to destroy our OL. So the line coach is a factor. But so is the offensive system - a few weeks back KillerGoose put up good data regarding how the system Callahan and Zac put in place is - while something Burrow likes - really OL unfriendly. It telegraphs the play and puts the linemen on islands while letting defenses pin their ears back. Notice when Burrow's calf healed enough and we started doing some different things all of a sudden the line looked way better. Makes me hope Pitcher will keep on the change path and we adopt a less predictable system. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 01:23 PM)Okeana Wrote: Fuaga is the number 1 OT in draft imo, don’t see him sliding, I have Guyton and Latham as late first or early second guys, they are way overhyped. I’m actually really high on fautanu and Barton, I think they have positional diversity and great tape.  Mims is a guy I would take over guyton or Latham, he’s basically a higher upside similar guy.  With all that being said if it’s my choice then I sign becton and draft fautanu, Fuaga or Barton.  Best player plays and you have guys who have position flexibility when you need that guard or center as these contracts expire

Where does Alt fit in your rankings for OT? I have watched him for years being a Notre Dame fan. In my humble opinion, he is also a top 10 pick.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 01:23 PM)Okeana Wrote: Fuaga is the number 1 OT in draft imo, don’t see him sliding, I have Guyton and Latham as late first or early second guys, they are way overhyped. I’m actually really high on fautanu and Barton, I think they have positional diversity and great tape.  Mims is a guy I would take over guyton or Latham, he’s basically a higher upside similar guy.  With all that being said if it’s my choice then I sign becton and draft fautanu, Fuaga or Barton.  Best player plays and you have guys who have position flexibility when you need that guard or center as these contracts expire

Some are expressing concerns with not only Fuaga's arm length, also the lack of bend in his lower body, and his vulnerability to speed rushers on the edge.  In his NFL Combine and Scouting profile, an NFC West coach suggests that he would be plug and play at Guard, but would need help with the edge if placed at Tackle.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I like Fuaga best and thought he looked good at the combine...might have improved himself.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 03:48 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Myles Garrett recorded all six of his pressures against Mekhi Becton in under 2.5 seconds in Week 17.

Well, I don't know what Nati was watching then. That sounds like worse than Jonah.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 01:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Some are expressing concerns with not only Fuaga's arm length, also the lack of bend in his lower body, and his vulnerability to speed rushers on the edge.  In his NFL Combine and Scouting profile, an NFC West coach suggests that he would be plug and play at Guard, but would need help with the edge if placed at Tackle.

Yes, that is why Fuaga should slide a bit and maybe even to us. If not him, hopefully Latham who is another powerful OL.

Alt is good, but he is not physical. I prefer a more physical OL, just sick of being the finesse team of the AFC North which is also why I 
want us to draft Braelon Allen so bad.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 01:50 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Where does Alt fit in your rankings for OT? I have watched him for years being a Notre Dame fan. In my humble opinion, he is also a top 10 pick.

I would rank him 3/4 range. I think in 5 years the guy who maybe the best of all of them is Fautanu, long arms, lower point of balance, doesn’t telegraph, fast feet, violent fast hands. Alt is good and I would take him for sure, but he does have issues.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 01:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Some are expressing concerns with not only Fuaga's arm length, also the lack of bend in his lower body, and his vulnerability to speed rushers on the edge.  In his NFL Combine and Scouting profile, an NFC West coach suggests that he would be plug and play at Guard, but would need help with the edge if placed at Tackle.

Fuaga is a high floor guy, he won’t be a bust, but he his ceiling has limits. It’s just what do you value the most if you have a choice

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 01:01 PM)Okeana Wrote: What player at 18 do you feel fits the RT role on our team?
I think any of the top guys would fit. Even the ones that, on the surface, appear to have some imperfections or are a bit raw. They are young and can be coached up. It's the second round and beyond guys I know little to nothing about.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 02:47 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I think any of the top guys would fit. Even the ones that, on the surface, appear to have some imperfections or are a bit raw. They are young and can be coached up. It's the second round and beyond guys I know little to nothing about.

Mims is the dude that scares me...
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 02:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Mims is the dude that scares me...

Agreed! Personally there is no way I’d take him or Guyton at 18.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 01:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: The point is they are going to get a plug and play OT at 18. This is why I am not that concerned about Becton - they are essentially signing a backup OT here...
They didnt roll out the red carpet and have Joe Burrow take him out to Jeff Ruby's to be a backup

...And a plug and play tackle at 18?  The draft is a crap shoot.  You dont know how any of these guys are going to perform at the NFL level so you can't count on just throwing someone out there because they were the #18 pick.  We already have a major weakness at LG, we cant afford to have a problem at RT too.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 01:42 PM)Okeana Wrote: Also i would like to mention that pollack coached becton in his best year.  After that he had some great offensive line coaches like John Benton and Keith Carter...

Pollack is a horrible coach himself.  I dont know why anyone thinks Pollack is the answer for coaching up Becton when Pollack hasnt done that for anyone on the Bengals line.  Just because Becton had a good rookie year doesnt mean Pollack was responsible for it.  Becton was the #11 player taken in the draft so obviously teams that felt he had some talent.  He still wasnt great his rookie season.  He gave up the 5th most sacks.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 02:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Mims is the dude that scares me...

Man, I love Mims. I usually stay away from "athletic freaks" but this kid's tape speaks for itself. 8 starts is a bit unnerving but those 8 starts were awesome. If anything, that raises his floor. If he can be plugged in there against the OSU's of the world (with future NFL Day 1's like Sawyer and Tuimoloau) and still look like a grizzled veteran, the sky's the limit. 

His body hasn't proven it can handle the week-to-week grind of the NFL. That's a fair criticism. Heck, D'Ante Smith has been banged up for three years and he's hardly seen the field. Some guys just have that fragile DNA. But that's where my questions end. I love Mims' attitude as well: he has a maturity that defies his age, a natural confidence that reminds me of Teven Jenkins. Had he played more snaps he'd be OT1 in this draft class, hands down. If he's there at 18 Goodell needn't even come backstage- because the card is ready. 
Reply/Quote