Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being an adult sucks
So, I began the spring semester at a local community college today. I was somewhat inspired by one of my favorite posters here, Sunset, although lately he's taken a right turn somewhere and has gotten lost, lol.

I'm going to get an associate's in Automation and Robotics. I'm not going full time, but I've taken 10 credit hours this semester with hopes of going full time in the fall, while continuing to work a full time 3rd shift job, plus I'm a full time single parent with no help from the ex.

Anyone here a math wiz that's willing to lend a hand from time to time?

How's about electrical?

I've got a lot on my plate and and a girlfriend that lives 45 mins away, who expects to see me every weekend. We've been dating for about 4 years now.

Can I accomplish my goals or am I taking on too much at once?
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 11:37 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: So, I began the spring semester at a local community college today. I was somewhat inspired by one of my favorite posters here, Sunset, although lately he's taken a right turn somewhere and has gotten lost, lol.

I'm going to get an associate's in Automation and Robotics. I'm not going full time, but I've taken 10 credit hours this semester with hopes of going full time in the fall, while continuing to work a full time 3rd shift job, plus I'm a full time single parent with no help from the ex.

How's about electrical?

I've got a lot on my plate and and a girlfriend that lives 45 mins away, who expects to see me every weekend. We've been dating for about 4 years now.

It's been a long time (15 years) since I've had any of those courses and I haven't done any electronics work in about 12 years.
However, if I see you post any questions I'll make sure to go over it and let you know if something clicks.

If you are not a linear thinker, you might want to start training yourself to do so.
I was an outside of the box type of guy and had to do that.
Good Luck !
ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I don't have the technical skills to help you. But I got a love in my heart and support for you, bro! ThumbsUp

Nobody can tell you whether it is too much for you or not. Nobody else has walked in your shoes. Sorry, but you have to make that decision for yourself.

I would say that, just by the fact that you think that you might be able to do it, that you could do it. But, look at it a different way: You can do it (go full time)... but what will the non-monetary costs be (time, energy, relationships, etc.)? What are your priorities? If something on the priority list needs to get reduced or diminished, what would you be more willing to let go of and what would be sacrosanct?

If you can work these questions out for yourself, then you will be more on your way to developing the plan to make this thing happen.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Best of luck I've been thinking about giving school another crack for a little while now.
Reply/Quote
I'll service your girlfriend so you won't have to see her every weekend.

Anything for a message board brother.
Reply/Quote
check with the school, they probably have some student services to help with any class stuff.

as far as the lady, just tell her you're going to have to devote time now so you all can have a better life later.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 11:37 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: So, I began the spring semester at a local community college today. I was somewhat inspired by one of my favorite posters here, Sunset, although lately he's taken a right turn somewhere and has gotten lost, lol.

How's about electrical?

Depends on the Math...... its been a while but i should be able to help as long as it doesnt go too far past what i took in college.

Have the GirlFriend do the commuting... to give you extra time to study.
Reply/Quote
here's some advice. Don't be that dbag adult who sits in the front row, and at the end of class when the professor asks if there are any questions, ask a question.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 11:37 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I've got a lot on my plate and and a girlfriend that lives 45 mins away, who expects to see me every weekend.

Tell her youre busy and if she wants to see you she's welcome to come visit anytime.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 11:37 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Anyone here a math wiz that's willing to lend a hand from time to time?

Here ya go, just call this number:

[Image: stupid-sign.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 07:38 PM)Beaker Wrote: Here ya go, just call this number:

Perhaps that is an overly specialized home renovator ?
LOL
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 11:20 AM)michaelsean Wrote: here's some advice.  Don't be that dbag adult who sits in the front row, and at the end of class when the professor asks if there are any questions, ask a question.

Lol. In my AC/DC circuits class today, I of course sat in the front row. 

But there were mostly older adults in there, though I think I may be the oldest at 42. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:02 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Lol. In my AC/DC circuits class today, I of course sat in the front row. 

But there were mostly older adults in there, though I think I may be the oldest at 42. 

Don't grow up - it's a trap  Ninja even at 42, you can opt out 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2016, 03:02 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Lol. In my AC/DC circuits class today, I of course sat in the front row. 

42? That's a reasonable age tobe a fan of AC/DC's music. ThumbsUp
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 07:34 PM)Beaker Wrote: Tell her youre busy and if she wants to see you she's welcome to come visit anytime.

Good advice, sounds like he's in the same position I was in - and mine didn't turn out well, lol. Take back the power. Granted my ex lived 8 hours away...
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 11:37 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: So, I began the spring semester at a local community college today. I was somewhat inspired by one of my favorite posters here, Sunset, although lately he's taken a right turn somewhere and has gotten lost, lol.

How's about electrical?

I'm not what's considered a very "adult" student at 27, but I also went back to school after a few years of working and it's been worth it. Granted, my classes were Saturdays and I don't have any children, so we're in different situations. 

Honestly, I look at is as a temporary difficult time in order to have a much better time in the future. Perhaps a better example is my wife, who also is going to school for the first time while working. She despises math (she's an arts person) but I keep telling her to get through the class and on to better things. I guess that my advice to you would be the same. It might very well suck. It might be hella stressful and you might think about quitting school. But just power through it for however many years you have to and reap the benefits in later years. 

I'm currently considering doing Law School at night, maybe then I'll have a better idea what you're going through. 
Reply/Quote
Depending on how important grades are to you will determine what is too much. When I was at the community college I was also working 10hrs a day and taking 1-2 classes a week. I was able to keep a 4.0 avg until I decided it was taking me too long and I piled on 4 classes one semester. I couldn't keep up with it all and got a C in one of my classes and a B in one of the others. If you take on too much, you will find yourself cutting corners to survive in a hectic life you have created for yourself.

Reply/Quote
Yeah. 

It ain't easy!

Update

So, I had to take an 8wk DEV math class. We could work at our own pace and most of the work was online, unfortunately I wasn't aware that we're able to work on this at home until 2 weeks (two classes per wk) in. Needless to say I found myself behind. Good news is that I passed, barely. As far as math goes, I'm now in the 2nd 8wk course and its 100x more work. I mean, I e been doing math math and more math, then more math. My first exam in this class is in two days. I will be prepared. But I gotta be honest, I can't remember any formulas to save my life. Anyone know of any memory tricks?

This goes for my other courses, Intro to fluid controls and Electric Circuits. The EC course is just more math. Ohms law yada yada yada. We get to play with some toys ( LAP's) but we partner up and my partner is a young go getter. Needless to say I end up observing him more than I get to play with these toys, mostly because I'm not very confident in what I've learned and how to apply it. I e learned more via YouTube than in class. 

In fluid controls, We do all of the work online and it isn't accessed at home. Yep, I got behind in that too and haven't been able to go to the lab for LAP's. I should be caught up here in the next two weeks so I'm hoping to hit the LAP's for the final two or three classes. 

So, overall I'm passing, but I'm not making the Dean's List. 

If there anything I've learned, it's that I'm not as smart as I thought and I'm having reservations about the major I chose which is Automation and Robotics. But I'm not sure if switching would be a good idea and I really wanna see this through. I'm interested in this line of work but I don't know if I have what it takes. 
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 07:38 PM)Beaker Wrote: Here ya go, just call this number:

Now that is hilaryus.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 01:10 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: If there anything I've learned, it's that I'm not as smart as I thought and I'm having reservations about the major I chose which is Automation and Robotics. But I'm not sure if switching would be a good idea and I really wanna see this through. I'm interested in this line of work but I don't know if I have what it takes. 

Take a bit of time to rethink your current path ( with your hectic schedule about 4 minutes should do it - ha ha ha )
As a long suffering Bengal fan you Have whatever it takes to persevere . Marvin would say " keep your head down and keep shoveling". ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote