Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengal Fans suddenly have "Chase Young Fever"
(10-27-2019, 11:20 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Remember when Jadaveon Clowney was going to take the Texans to the Super Bowl?

I remember that having Watt and Mercilus on the roster did not prevent them taking the best player in the draft.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:40 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I remember that having Watt and Mercilus on the roster did not prevent them taking the best player in the draft.

The current roster has about 8-9 holes in starting positions...so really they could go any direction.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:39 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And that's possible. The Bengals have a way of ruining people though.

Honestly, we can debate what the right move is and I like doing that...but with the Bengals...who knows?

To not even take phone calls of teams asking to acquire our players is insane.

For all we know, we'll get the 2nd pick and select Justin Herbert. That's the kind of stuff this team does. Over and over and over and over and over again.

Exactly. We should be sitting on a LOT of picks right now heading into this game. No reason to keep guys like Dunlap, Geno, Kirk anymore if teams are interested. We could've at least been excited.

Also just spit-balling here, but haven't they drafted better in those middle rounds than 1st rounders in recent memory? No reason to ask above market value..
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:35 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 1000X this^

When you're at the top of the draft, you're there for a reason.  The reason is that you truly need a player that can make a significant impact on the direction of your franchise.

Actually if you are at the top of the draft you usually need more than one player.
Reply/Quote
Draft Chase Young. Suck for another year then draft a Trevor Lawrence. You are set for the next decade after these drafts.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:49 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Draft Chase Young.  Suck for another year then draft a Trevor Lawrence.   You are set for the next decade after these drafts.

Maybe it's just me, but Trevor Lawrence seems to have lost quite a bit of his luster, now that teams have plenty of film on him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually if you are at the top of the draft you usually need more than one player.

It's true, the Bengals do need several players.  I really don't think a one year makeover can be achieved by the draft alone.  If the Bengals really want to vault back into the competitive ranks in the NFL, they really should plan on acquiring an existing, proven LB and OL to aid this new generation of players into development.  With that said, I'd like to see the Bengals draft their next franchise QB, this year, start dealing some costly veterans that are on the back end of their careers, and fully commit to the rebuild/youth movement.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 10:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure, they all get shifted around, in an attempt to exploit a particular matchup, on a given play.  However, I've never known either of them to line up at Strong Side DE, with any regularity.  Now, in that 5 front that the Bengals were sporting early in the year, they might make an excellent tandem.  However, in order to make that effective, you really need a pair of studs at those two LB spots.  A pair like Ray Lewis teamed with Takeo Spikes, or similar.

Here is Hubbard's snap by position breakdown.

LE- 10
DLT- 24
DRT- 6
RE- 7

LEO- 195
LOLB- 70
REO- 54
ROLB- 37

NT- 1

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:39 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: For all we know, we'll get the 2nd pick and select Justin Herbert. That's the kind of stuff this team does. Over and over and over and over and over again.

Are you saying that would be a bad pick?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually if you are at the top of the draft you usually need more than one player.

True. And if they make a trade or two, they could draft 3 starters in the first 2 rounds. 

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:55 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Maybe it's just me, but Trevor Lawrence seems to have lost quite a bit of his luster, now that teams have plenty of film on him.

Indeed. Lawrence is kind of struggling this year.

I think we all know that the Bengals staff could take a superstar and mess them up...so there is no such thing as a sure thing here.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 10:23 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't often post in them, but I do read some of the Bengals FB groups postings.  After his 4 sack performance yesterday, it seems like the prevailing opinion in those groups is that the Bengals need Chase Young to come and save the franchise.

While I agree that Chase Young is a fantastic player, I don't really think that he's the "one guy" who can be added to this team, and suddenly things will change for the better.  The RDE position is currently filled by a rising star for the Bengals, Sam Hubbard.  So, if you bring in Chase Young, what do you do with Hubbard?  I'm sure that the knee-jerk reaction would be to just switch him to the LDE position, currently occupied by the recently extended Bengal great, Carlos Dunlap.

So, let's imagine that someone decides that Chase Young is the man, and the Bengals draft him.  Let's say that they have an epiphany, and decide that Dunlap is a great piece of trade material, and go with putting Hubbard over on the Left side.  I've never seen Hubbard play Strong Side End, in college or with the Bengals.  i'm not sure that he's physically cut out for that particular job.  So, in that case you would have 2 very similar players for the RDE position, and traded away your very good LDE.  Now what??

My point of making that illustration was to show that if the Bengals are drafting top 3, the wise move would be to go with the franchise QB, Joe Burrow.  When picking in the top of the draft, you need that cornerstone with which you're going to build your team around.  They already selected their LT of the future this year, in Jonah Williams, now it's time for the new franchise QB, LB, and RT to give this team some teeth.

Perhaps we should put Finley in and see what he has so we know more about what to do moving forward ?
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 05:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Perhaps we should put Finley in and see what he has so we know more about what to do moving forward ?

That would be nice to see.  However, it seems like the management of the team seems to feel like the Bengals are in the thick of the playoff hunt..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 01:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Indeed. Lawrence is kind of struggling this year.

I think we all know that the Bengals staff could take a superstar and mess them up...so there is no such thing as a sure thing here.

His play when things break down is incredible though.. he's amazing IMO, I think he's a lock to have the floor of a really solid starting QB. Upside is tremendous obviously.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 05:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That would be nice to see.  However, it seems like the management of the team seems to feel like the Bengals are in the thick of the playoff hunt..

Let's hope 0-8 is enough
Reply/Quote
Wont matter who you take if this oline isn't fixed
Reply/Quote
Maybe, just maybe we're over estimating what we currently have in pass rush and Young could help.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 06:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Maybe, just maybe we're over estimating what we currently have in pass rush and Young could help.

Naw man, all of the OLs that we've faced have just been fantastic..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
did anyone see how much time Goff had today? Those 3rd and long conversions were all longer developing plays, with a guy that can legitimately get after the QB those plays are erased.
Reply/Quote
0 sacks versus Rams.
Reply/Quote