Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengal Fans suddenly have "Chase Young Fever"
(10-27-2019, 08:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 0 sacks versus Rams.

We gave up 220 yards to a slot WR today. We really had one player that got abused over and Over again. In all honesty have to wonder what Lou was thinking and where was the substitution.  
Thought the pass rush was there but coverage has to be better.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
We have so many holes part of me says take the BPA.

Why are some of you arguing we cant draft Chase Young because we already have Hubbard? What is wrong with 2 stud DE's, remember pressure up front makes it easier on the LB'er and DB's.

Back to my original point we just need talent everywhere, maybe that means trading back to get all the pics we can!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Frankly, I see this team as eroding rapidly. The established stars who have made a difference in the past are all aging and the recent drafts have not brought in any difference makers. This has resulted in a roster which is getting more and more depleted each season.

The free agents that have been brought in are largely cast offs from their former teams and who rarely are better than the player they replaced.

The team's refusal to use free agency to upgrade talent, their inability to identify impact players with their 1st round draft picks and their mis-judgement of the value and skills of players they let go in free agency have all combined to produce this eroding roster.

Add to that a new coaching staff which is in way, way over its head and we have an 0-8 team, the worst start for a new head coach in Bengals history.

What does this have to do with Chase Young? Well, I'd love to see Young on this defense. He can play left or right side and he's an impact player. Witness Nick Bosa's 3 sack, 1 INT day today against Carolina. Young is even better as his first step is so fast and he's a good run defender to boot.

But, for that to work, the Bengals would also need to fill needs in free agency and fill those positions with upgrades. Hopkins is a free agent coming up and who's to say Mike Brown will value him enough to re-sign him? So we actually could be looking for a new Center. Imagine that. We could spent 4 draft picks on the OL alone, if we wanted to revamp and upgrade it across the board.

Does anyone actually believe this front office is capable of doing what needs to be done?

Does this front office even believe in itself? I doubt it. They have to be doubting themselves right now. Not just on draft choices, but on coaching and free agent choices as well.

I'd feel sorry for Young if he were drafted by a Mike Brown run team.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 09:08 PM)corpjet Wrote: We have so many holes part of me says take the BPA.

Why are some of you arguing we cant draft Chase Young because we already have Hubbard?  What is wrong with 2 stud DE's, remember pressure up front makes it easier on the LB'er and DB's.

Back to my original point we just need talent everywhere, maybe that means trading back to get all the pics we can!

I hate to say this...but we all need to just stop wasting our time on here.

Like trades. The Bengals are saying they aren't going to make any. They are inept.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals would waste Chase Young’s career by dropping him into coverage on obvious passing downs instead of letting him go after the quarterback.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:31 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Hubbard has played on the left and right side. They need to deal one or two guys for picks and then they can take Young at the top of 1, get Oline in the middle of round 1 (moving up with the picks they acquired in trade/what they already have) and they can take a QB in the top of round 2. There are going to be a lot of potentially good QBs coming out this year. 

Imagine...
1. Chase Young (ED)
1a. Calvin Throckmorton (RT)
2. Jalen Hurts (QB) 

There is going to be a good QB in rd 2 regardless. If there's a big run on QBs in the first, that's going to push better guys further down the draft. If the QBs don't go as fast in 1, it's going to give you better QBs in 2. 

There are many ways they can go in this draft. Burrow/Herbert/Eason in 1, Kindley (OG) in 2, or make that trade and do Burrow/Herbert/Eason in 1, move back into 1 and get a OL/LB then take Kindley at the top of 2...so many ways to go and then you can be smart and sign one or two good FAs instead signing/re-signing a bunch of crapsters. 

This team is honestly in a position to crush it this offseason with the draft and all the talent at their positions of need in Free Agency. 

It's make or break for the front office to see if they can do it or if they're too stupid or afraid to do what's necessary to make this team good again.

Theeeeee number one thing i don't want to see is them wimping out and trading down to "acquire more pics". They haven't shown the ability to find untapped talent later in the draft and they would be completely screwing themselves if they did this. 

I did... I disagree with the pick.  I am not in favor of Chase Young or Jalen Hurts.  I dislike Hurts more than Burrows as the selection.  I would rather have Burrows with our 1st pick than waste it on Hurts at any point in the top 100 of the draft.

In your scenario, I would take Thomas and Kindley.  Then a decent LBer like Erroll Thompson or Joe Bachie in the 2nd.

Kindley should not be there at 2 (I won't say won't, but odds are he is gone by then). 

Taking Thomas gives us another OT that could play either RT or LT, just like Williams can.  If Kindley is there in the 2nd then that pick would be a no brainer.  This truly shores up the OLine and provides the stability that it sorely needs.  If Kindley isn't there then Ben Bredeson or Logan Sternberg for our 2nd round selection.

Imagine a OLine:
Williams
Kindley
Hopkins (or Price if he can get it together)
Price (or Jordan)
Thomas

That should either put Dalton in the best position to succeed and if not, then provide the best protection for Finley or the 2021 QB pick.
Reply/Quote
If Chase Young is there; they should sprint to the podium. There are several QBs in the upcoming draft that are much more talented than Dalton. Yes, QB and Tackle are definitely needs, but he's the one player that is the exception imho.
One of the key reasons that San Fran is 7-0 is because of their defensive line. They didn't need Bosa; he was just too dominant to pass up.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 09:37 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: I did... I disagree with the pick.  I am not in favor of Chase Young or Jalen Hurts.  I dislike Hurts more than Burrows as the selection.  I would rather have Burrows with our 1st pick than waste it on Hurts at any point in the top 100 of the draft.

In your scenario, I would take Thomas and Kindley.  Then a decent LBer like Erroll Thompson or Joe Bachie in the 2nd.

Kindley should not be there at 2 (I won't say won't, but odds are he is gone by then). 

Taking Thomas gives us another OT that could play either RT or LT, just like Williams can.  If Kindley is there in the 2nd then that pick would be a no brainer.  This truly shores up the OLine and provides the stability that it sorely needs.  If Kindley isn't there then Ben Bredeson or Logan Sternberg for our 2nd round selection.

Imagine a OLine:
Williams
Kindley
Hopkins (or Price if he can get it together)
Price (or Jordan)
Thomas

That should either put Dalton in the best position to succeed and if not, then provide the best protection for Finley or the 2021 QB pick.

I don't mind Oline with the first 2 picks, unless it's the Bengals way of doing things. One guy in the first, one guy in the second. 

Then comes the rest of the draft where they get their normal allocated pick and find a guy or two that will contribute and the rest will fall by the wayside. 

They need to get off their lazy, antiquated asses and make a deal or two, then use an acquired pick and one or several of their own picks this and/or next year to get back in the first round, giving them, potentially, 3 picks in the first 35. That way they get the QB and 2 guys for the oline. 

More and more though, i don't see them doing this. I see them doing the exact same thing they do every year and they will continue to fail every single year because their way is proven to not work. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 09:08 PM)corpjet Wrote: We have so many holes part of me says take the BPA.

Why are some of you arguing we cant draft Chase Young because we already have Hubbard?  What is wrong with 2 stud DE's, remember pressure up front makes it easier on the LB'er and DB's.

An effective pass rush only works if you can stop the run, and force teams into being pass heavy.  However, with the current state of the team, both the DL and the secondary are so damn worn out by halftime, it wouldn't matter if we had a closet full of pass rushers to use.  They'd all be winded by the first drive in the second half, anyway.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I personally think we need a quarterback before an end. It's tough to argue against taking any defensive upgrade considering how poorly they've played on that side of the ball for the last 2 seasons, but QB should be the A1 target if they end up selecting in the top 3.

You don't get a lot of shots at top QBs, and the strength of this class is pretty compelling compared to recent years. Dalton's expiring deal plays in as well. I don't think he's shown much to give them a reason to pay him another 10 mil per year when they could start over with a younger option.

If they get the chance, they should go QB then OT IMO.

I'd get a real DC before I went about turning over the roster on defense. As many have said, it's odd to see how poorly these once good players have played under the last 2 schemes. Get real and pay a Del Rio type. The only position I'd turn over is linebacker, which is a relatively affordable place to find outside talent. Send Lou packing. He's a Zampese, ie in over his head.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 10:38 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's great to be excited about picking from the top of the draft, just be sure that you're looking at the player that will provide the most positive impact on the franchise.
The problem we have picking at the top of the draft is 1000 fans will have their guy, if their guy is not picked they will whine and moan for months leading up to 2020 regular season. We see thread after thread of how their exact draft was the answer.  Sarcasm 

OK more sarcasm than reality, but a lot of whining.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The problem we have picking at the top of the draft is 1000 fans will have their guy, if their guy is not picked they will whine and moan for months leading up to 2020 regular season. We see thread after thread of how their exact draft was the answer.  Sarcasm 

OK more sarcasm than reality, but a lot of whining.

Honestly, I don't care who they actually take at the top of the draft.  My logical head says it's time to go franchise QB.  But, should they land in 2-4 draft slot range, and don't like the QB who's sitting there?  I wouldn't care if they drafted Jeff Okudah, Chase Young, or whomever is a worthy pick at that spot. 

One thing that is evident, is the assistant coaches aren't up to muster.  The team certainly won't have to wait until the Super Bowl has passed, to take their shot at upgrading the coaching staff.  I say this because the management obviously fell in love with Zac Taylor, and his plan to lead a team.  They now need to do the utmost of their ability to help surround him with a capable and competent staff of assistants, starting with a real defensive coordinator.  Between Austin and Anarumo, the past two DC hires couldn't guard the door at a whorehouse.. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Honestly, I don't care who they actually take at the top of the draft.  My logical head says it's time to go franchise QB.  But, should they land in 2-4 draft slot range, and don't like the QB who's sitting there?  I wouldn't care if they drafted Jeff Okudah, Chase Young, or whomever is a worthy pick at that spot. 

One thing that is evident, is the assistant coaches aren't up to muster.  The team certainly won't have to wait until the Super Bowl has passed, to take their shot at upgrading the coaching staff.  I say this because the management obviously fell in love with Zac Taylor, and his plan to lead a team.  They now need to do the utmost of their ability to help surround him with a capable and competent staff of assistants, starting with a real defensive coordinator.  Between Austin and Anarumo, the past two DC hires couldn't guard the door at a whorehouse.. 

Yeah.  I think the linebacking corps is lacking in talent.  Other than that, if the team is ride or die about not making any trades, then you have to call Anarumo and his staff into question.  If it's not the players, then it has to be the coaches, right?  

Mikey is a cheap ass in free agency.  He's not going to break the bank adding a Buch of starters on the d-line or in the secondary.  Maybe he'll snag a linebacker or 2, who knows.  You gotta hope they've learned their lesson about slow, unathletic LBs by now.  Even so, it might be the most cost-effective approach for him to just pay a big name DC.  It would certainly be cheaper than retooling the personnel. 
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 10:23 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't often post in them, but I do read some of the Bengals FB groups postings.  After his 4 sack performance yesterday, it seems like the prevailing opinion in those groups is that the Bengals need Chase Young to come and save the franchise.

While I agree that Chase Young is a fantastic player, I don't really think that he's the "one guy" who can be added to this team, and suddenly things will change for the better.  The RDE position is currently filled by a rising star for the Bengals, Sam Hubbard.  So, if you bring in Chase Young, what do you do with Hubbard?  I'm sure that the knee-jerk reaction would be to just switch him to the LDE position, currently occupied by the recently extended Bengal great, Carlos Dunlap.

So, let's imagine that someone decides that Chase Young is the man, and the Bengals draft him.  Let's say that they have an epiphany, and decide that Dunlap is a great piece of trade material, and go with putting Hubbard over on the Left side.  I've never seen Hubbard play Strong Side End, in college or with the Bengals.  i'm not sure that he's physically cut out for that particular job.  So, in that case you would have 2 very similar players for the RDE position, and traded away your very good LDE.  Now what??

My point of making that illustration was to show that if the Bengals are drafting top 3, the wise move would be to go with the franchise QB, Joe Burrow.  When picking in the top of the draft, you need that cornerstone with which you're going to build your team around.  They already selected their LT of the future this year, in Jonah Williams, now it's time for the new franchise QB, LB, and RT to give this team some teeth.

Chase Young might be the most impactful player in the college game.  And Hubbard can move to LDE.  

What do you think Burrow can do better than Dalton?  Seriously?  He is one inch taller, roughly the same weight.  He has about the same speed and mobility.  Dalton was a beast in college as well.  Burrow doesn't have elite speed and elusiveness like a Watson, Mahommes, or Murray.  He doesn't have ridiculous arm strength like Josh Allen.   He is playing for a very talented team and has faced ONE tough defense this year.  He has a hell of a line and had a back averaging 5 ypc in that game.  Both things that he would not have here if we just replaced the QB.  

Before you go there, it has nothing to do with Ohio State.  Yes, I am a fan, but 100,000 times bigger fan of the Bengals (no idea why).  I want to see the team build from the trenches and get playmakers before they add a QB.  Just my two cents. 
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:05 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Or even Dolelaga.

Honestly, if Ross was out there with Green, he might be the best choice.  He would surely take some lumps as we built the lines, but I love the kid's size and arm strength. 
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 11:49 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Draft Chase Young.  Suck for another year then draft a Trevor Lawrence.   You are set for the next decade after these drafts.

Sorry Socal, but if that was what the Bengals did, the opposition would just continue to target the LBs (since you didn't address that position instead of QB) and Lawrence would get destroyed behind that line with no running game.  It is akin to putting a shiny hood ornament on a Yugo.  It won't run any better or faster unless you give it better tires, suspension, and engine.  

This team needs way more than the shiny hood ornament.  
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 06:21 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: Wont matter who you take if this oline isn't fixed

Simple, but true.  You could put Mahommes on our offense and it wouldn't matter right now.  Do you guys think any QB could win with:

No line
No running game
No speed at WR outside
No defense so you are constantly coming from behind (even more one dimensional)
Reply/Quote
Chase Young is the best player in college football. He will provide the most immediate impact to this team and should be the pick if we are 1st. I have actually been in the camp that wants to build the team this year before getting the QB next year. When you look at the impact Nick Bosa has had on the 49ers defense this year, and then your realize Chase Young is better, you know that is the correct call.

When you draft 1st overall you take the best player because you plan to have that player for 10+ years. You don't worry about the current state of the team you plan to eventually build around that anchor. Chase Young is the cleanest pass rusher in a decade and I will bet the grades match that statement when it's all said and done.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 08:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Chase Young might be the most impactful player in the college game. 

He might be the most impactful player in the college game.  But he might also turn out to be another Jadaveon Clowney or Justin Smith.  Let me phrase it like this, in picks 6-10, I love the Chase Young pick, in picks 1-5 I'd rather see a QB.  (as far as the Bengals go, anyway)  However, either way it turns out, I think that we're all just wasting our breath in here; as I have zero confidence that the team management will commit to a rebuild effort, and take the necessary steps to acquire the free agents and draft capital needed to pull off a successful rebuild.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 08:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Simple, but true.  You could put Mahommes on our offense and it wouldn't matter right now.  Do you guys think any QB could win with:

No line
No running game
No speed at WR outside
No defense so you are constantly coming from behind (even more one dimensional)

It's bad playcalling too.

Pretty much anything you can think of is terrible.
Reply/Quote