Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals #1 Pick QB Comparison Palmer versus Burrow
(03-03-2020, 06:43 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: They *SHOULD have been that great for a long time... I don’t know what happened. Maybe all of the arrests, injuries, retaining Chuck Bresnahan too long, a combination of everything....it just wasn’t meant to be

2006 was a very bad year for us... We lost a lot of players to injury(or other) some never returned...
Braham
Pollack
Thruman

are just a few...

I think after game 2 of 2006 seasons vs Cleveland  we had to put 10 players on IR....    Took us a good while to fix that line.

Palmer aired it out in 2006...  we almost returned to the playoffs but lost 3 straight at the end of the year.. (one to a bad snap on a field goal.)

Injuries again in 2007 on the Defensive side this time mainly LBer

2008 was the year his elbow got smashed after getting a bloody nose in the preseason.

2009 was a great year as we swept the division but the offense was more running than gunning.

Palmer and that offense could generate points almost as fast as our defense could give them up... 

Bengals vs Cleveland I think went over 100 points both times in 2007.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 06:43 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: They *SHOULD have been that great for a long time... I don’t know what happened. Maybe all of the arrests, injuries, retaining Chuck Bresnahan too long, a combination of everything....it just wasn’t meant to be

Just some really bad luck.  Pollack, Odell Thurman, Chris Henry.   The defense was just one special d-lineman away from being awesome.

Nobody could really stop that offense.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 12:51 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It appears we will take a QB for only the second time in our history with the #1 overall pick in the 2020. The 1st was and only was Carson Palmer.

Let's dive into the skill sets of Palmer and Burrow coming out of college. Then based on college only to be fair, pick one if both were available in 2020.

I will start with just a few comments, but hold my choice for later.

Palmer has a stronger arm.
Burrow is more mobile in and out of the pocket.

Let's have some fun, but at same time get a read on both QB's strengths and weaknesses coming out of college.

For this reason alone I’d go with Burrow. Pure pocket passers are going the way of the dodo.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 03:07 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think we are actually seeing what would happen if they were in the same draft right now. Palmer and Herbert are almost identical prospects. Herbert isn’t going ahead of Burrow.

There is no comparison between Palmer and Herbert. That's an awful comparison. Herbert isn't even in the same league as Palmer was his final year at USC
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 03:07 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think we are actually seeing what would happen if they were in the same draft right now. Palmer and Herbert are almost identical prospects. Herbert isn’t going ahead of Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 12:51 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It appears we will take a QB for only the second time in our history with the #1 overall pick in the 2020. The 1st was and only was Carson Palmer.

Let's dive into the skill sets of Palmer and Burrow coming out of college. Then based on college only to be fair, pick one if both were available in 2020.

I will start with just a few comments, but hold my choice for later.

Palmer has a stronger arm.
Burrow is more mobile in and out of the pocket.

Let's have some fun, but at same time get a read on both QB's strengths and weaknesses coming out of college.

Carson Palmer has proved over and over again that he’s mentally weak. I’m hoping Joe is made of tougher stuff.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 10:23 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Carson Palmer has proved over and over again that he’s mentally weak. I’m hoping Joe is made of tougher stuff.

Bullshit.

Palmer shocked everyone when he was ready to start opening day after the '05 playoff injury.  Then in '08 when he tore ligament in his elbow he just missed one game and then came back and tried to play a game with the injury before shutting it down for surgery.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 04:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Let's slow the roll just a bit here.  Carson's numbers don't look that good because they are from 20 years ago.  But he had a more consistent career than Burrow despite playing on some much worse teams.  In 2000 Palmer ranked #1 in the Pac-10 in completions and completion percentage and top 5 in passer rating despite playing for a losing team.  He finished in the top 2 in the conference in completions and completion percentage three times each.  On the other hand Burrow only finished higher than 12th in his conference in passer rating once.

Like I said, I only have the archive of what existed on the internet in 2003 to go off of, since I wasn't a football fan during the 2003 draft.

With that said, I'd be very surprised to learn that 17 years ago, having a sub 60% completion percentage for your entire career and having a 1 to 1 interception to touchdown ratio for 4 years out of 5 were not problems. Especially with a fairly mediocre yards per attempt number of 7.5.

If Carson was ranking highly in the PAC-10 during his career for putting up those numbers, that just tells me that the PAC-10 was shit in the early 2000s.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 03:10 PM)jason Wrote: Ok... Just off the top of my head.

Johnny Manziel, Baker Mayfield, Sen Paul Ryan, Donald Trump's sons, every member of every boy band that ever existed, and the Florida Georgia Line all have much more punchable faces than Joe Burrow. In fact, I'd wager that should be choose to get a grown man's haircut, his face would be fine.

Mayfield and Manziel - probably just because you don't like them. I can't picture the FL/GA Line. Donald Trump's sons wouldn't be anywhere close to this list if they weren't the President's sons. Burrow's face is just soft and squishy and has this arrogance to it that makes you want to strike it violently. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Philip Rivers has the most punchable face in the NFL and it’s not even close.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 11:50 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Philip Rivers has the most punchable face in the NFL and it’s not even close.

He's probably the most punchable PERSON. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 11:41 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Mayfield and Manziel - probably just because you don't like them. I can't picture the FL/GA Line. Donald Trump's sons wouldn't be anywhere close to this list if they weren't the President's sons. Burrow's face is just soft and squishy and has this arrogance to it that makes you want to strike it violently. 

Go on ahead and get a real good look at those Trump boys again.

I'd also like to add Doug Gottlieb to the list.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 10:53 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If Carson was ranking highly in the PAC-10 during his career for putting up those numbers, that just tells me that the PAC-10 was shit in the early 2000s.

His passer rating in 2002 was #5 in the nation.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 10:38 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bullshit.

Palmer shocked everyone when he was ready to start opening day after the '05 playoff injury.  Then in '08 when he tore ligament in his elbow he just missed one game and then came back and tried to play a game with the injury before shutting it down for surgery.

Eh, that is physically tough, not mentally tough. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 03:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, that is physically tough, not mentally tough. Mellow

Then there is no way for us to judge his mental toughness.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 03:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then there is no way for us to judge his mental toughness.

But I CAN judge his decision making on the field!!! Joe
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 10:38 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bullshit.

He quit on the Bengals right before they got AJ Green and the great defense.  Maybe we would have won playoff games and more with him at the helm back then, maybe not, but we'll never know.  After he quit and the Bengals got better, he kept silent  until the last couple of bad seasons, and then went crying to the media again, trying to influence Burrow and the draft, and make himself the center of attention.  He's a weak, spoiled, little crybaby.  

He got his chance to play in the NFC championship game with Arizona, and committed six turnovers all by himself.  Mike Brown didn't do that.  He blew his own chances.  First when he quit on the Bengals right before they vastly improved, and then he failed Arizona in the NFC championship game.  He doesn't have a strong mentality.  

He appears to come from a more privileged background than Burrow.  He went to private school and his Dad was paying a quarterbacks coach to work with him when he was still in high school.  Mike Brown was probably the only adversity he has ever faced, and he still can't get over it.  

His whining about how the fans supposedly put garbage on his lawn is just cringeworthy in my opinion.  He blames Mike Brown and he blames the fans, but he never blames himself.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 11:50 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Philip Rivers has the most punchable face in the NFL and it’s not even close.

What about Roethlisberger?  
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 07:20 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: He quit on the Bengals

Just like Burrow quit on the buckeyes.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 07:20 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: He quit on the Bengals right before they got AJ Green and the great defense.  Maybe we would have won playoff games and more with him at the helm back then, maybe not, but we'll never know.  After he quit and the Bengals got better, he kept silent  until the last couple of bad seasons, and then went crying to the media again, trying to influence Burrow and the draft, and make himself the center of attention.  He's a weak, spoiled, little crybaby.  

He got his chance to play in the NFC championship game with Arizona, and committed six turnovers all by himself.  Mike Brown didn't do that.  He blew his own chances.  First when he quit on the Bengals right before they vastly improved, and then he failed Arizona in the NFC championship game.  He doesn't have a strong mentality.  

He appears to come from a more privileged background than Burrow.  He went to private school and his Dad was paying a quarterbacks coach to work with him when he was still in high school.  Mike Brown was probably the only adversity he has ever faced, and he still can't get over it.  

His whining about how the fans supposedly put garbage on his lawn is just cringeworthy in my opinion.  He blames Mike Brown and he blames the fans, but he never blames himself.

Entitlement is a disease now a days.

Antonio Brown has it really bad though, worse than Carson. I liked Carson even if he was a spoiled entitled brat.

He had a good arm and had one great year with us until the Kimo which made me feel for the guy.

But still, dude made bad decisions and he is doing it again. 

Burrow will make him look bad and he knows it, too bad he has no class like Burrow does. Feel for him again lol
Reply/Quote