Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals #1 Pick QB Comparison Palmer versus Burrow
(03-04-2020, 07:27 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: What about Roethlisberger?  

Definitely the most punchable.

Joe Mixon needs to give him a right cross. Poor taste?

Joe is too good for that now thankfully and the Pig is hopefully done.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 07:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just like Burrow quit on the buckeyes.

That's all you got?  You took 5 words out of my whole post?  I had a pretty good take on why Palmer is a spoiled, entitled brat.  And Burrow left the Buckeyes trying to get a starting position because the Buckeyes passed him over.    If he hadn't, there would be no national championship.  He made things happen for himself.

Carson already had a starting position in the NFL and would have been better off staying with the Bengals in my opinion.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Ludicrous comparison.
Palmer was a pro making millions a year and in the NFL when he quit on the Bengals while under contract.
Burrow was a 20 year old college kid trying to get in the NFL and playing behind Haskins and Barrett with no chance to ever play in a meaningful game.
Transferring is exactly what he should have done and no blame attached to him.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 07:50 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: That's all you got?  You took 5 words out of my whole post?  I had a pretty good take on why Palmer is a spoiled, entitled brat.  And Burrow left the Buckeyes trying to get a starting position because the Buckeyes passed him over.    If he hadn't, there would be no national championship.  He made things happen for himself.

Carson already had a starting position in the NFL and would have been better off staying with the Bengals in my opinion.  

Slap him around Bonnie lol  Hilarious

(03-04-2020, 07:55 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Ludicrous comparison.
Palmer was a pro making millions a year and in the NFL when he quit on the Bengals while under contract.
Burrow was a 20 year old college kid trying to get in the NFL and playing behind Haskins and Barrett with no chance to ever play in a meaningful game.

Truth.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 07:27 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: What about Roethlisberger?  

He’s up there for sure, especially with how much of a scumbag he is off the field, but Rivers and his crybaby antics, and stupid face annoy me to no end. I’ve always hated him.

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen you post.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 07:50 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote:  I had a pretty good take on why Palmer is a spoiled, entitled brat. 

No you didn't.

You claimed that he was the one who sought out the media attention regarding BUrrow, but the truth was that the media sought him out because he was the last QB taken number one overall by the Bengals.  Then you try to bash Palmer for saying THE EXACT SAME THINGS YOIU SAY HERE.

Then you made some comment about him coming from money which was total BS because some very mentally tough men came from money.  You sound more jealous than anything.

And finally you ripped Palmer for leaving the Bengals, but Burrow did the exact same thing with Ohio State.  Funny how you want to point to accomplishment Joe had in college to prove he was tough, but anything negative he did does not count because "He was just a kid in college".  Also Palmer had to deal with playing on losing teams in college because he did not have the elite talent around him that Burrow always had.  Palmer finished 2nd in his conference in passing and had a .500 record.  Burrow finished 12th in his conference in passing and won 10 games.

Palmer played an NFL game with a torn ligament in his elbow that required surgery.  He was hated by many of his own fans because he was loyal to his alma mater instead of swooning over the Buckeyes.  It is a joke for somone like you to call him mentally weak.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 07:55 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Ludicrous comparison.

I don't have a dog in this fight... I'm not in full man crush mode with Burrow, and I'm so over Palmer... But...

The comparison isn't that far off. Palmer, like all pro athletes had a goal of winning a championship. He had early success, and then toughed out some disappointing seasons. He went to management with many of the same complaints we have, and Mike Brown twiddled his thumbs. It wasn't about money... It was about being able to compete. Joe wanted to compete too. As much as I love Urban Meyer, he's loyal to his guys to a fault. Joe wasn't gonna get that opportunity, and neither was Carson. They moved on. The difference was Urban Meyer didn't and couldn't hold Joe hostage like Mike Brown did Carson.

It worked out well for everyone. The Bengals got similar production from Andy for less money. They could keep AJ, Carlos, Geno, Vontaze... Carson moved on and had some success... And now we have a shot at the best prospect since Luck.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
- Palmer had a better arm
- Athleticism is roughly the same
- Both were late bloomers and exploded after a scheme change
- Both are/were very accurate throwers

- Burrow has much better leadership potential and a stronger mental makeup
- Burrow navigates the pocket better and is much better at escaping sacks
- Burrow makes smarter decisions and appears less INT prone (Carson often made some real head-scratchers)

I think Burrow is the better prospect. IMO, his arm isn't a weakness. It's a plus arm...just not an elite arm. He spins the ball well, just not as good as Palmer. That said, I'll take Burrow's pocket awareness and smart decisions over Palmer's ability to spin the ball right into the arms of Ed Reed. Mellow

I'll also take Burrow's seemingly infectious personality over Palmer's "quiet leadership" and tendency to quit when the chips are down (as evidenced by how he treated the Bengals and Raiders).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 01:07 PM)jason Wrote: Just make sure you stick it out then if you aren't happy about a certain aspect of your life (work, relationship, surroundings etc).

The issue with Palmer is that he accepts no responsibility for his own failings.  

His rhetoric is nobody can win here. Why?  The other players aren't good enough.  Why?  Because management is incompetent and should do what I tell them to do.

When you're a $100 million dollar QB, the blame also falls on you. He couldn't handle that.  He couldn't take responsibility for years of his own mediocre play, either.  He blamed his teammates and management instead.

On top of it, he continues his rhetoric even after he was proven wrong.  A rookie 2nd round pick with an abbreviated off-season did in 3 years what Carson couldn't do in 9.  When you're not only replaced, but upgraded on, that quickly, you're not a $100 mil QB.  You're part of the problem, not the solution.

Joe Burrow never buried OSU in the media.  He even credits guys like JT Barrett for showing him how to prepare.  

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 02:04 PM)Whatever Wrote: The issue with Palmer is that he accepts no responsibility for his own failings.  

His rhetoric is nobody can win here. Why?  The other players aren't good enough.  Why?  Because management is incompetent and should do what I tell them to do.

When you're a $100 million dollar QB, the blame also falls on you. He couldn't handle that.  He couldn't take responsibility for years of his own mediocre play, either.  He blamed his teammates and management instead.

On top of it, he continues his rhetoric even after he was proven wrong.  A rookie 2nd round pick with an abbreviated off-season did in 3 years what Carson couldn't do in 9.  When you're not only replaced, but upgraded on, that quickly, you're not a $100 mil QB.  You're part of the problem, not the solution.

Joe Burrow never buried OSU in the media.  He even credits guys like JT Barrett for showing him how to prepare.  

Great post, well said.

Burrow also gave tons of credit to his O-line for his play when they weren't even that great. Humility.

As talented as Palmer was, Dalton was a much better QB for us and the numbers prove it and Dalton is a great humble man.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 01:16 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Carson Palmer has a billboard for a forehead and is a complete douche canoe.

Burrow has great hair but a punchable face. One of the most punchable faces I've seen.

This is the kind of accurate expert analysis I came for.

:andy:

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 10:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No you didn't.

You claimed that he was the one who sought out the media attention regarding BUrrow, but the truth was that the media sought him out because he was the last QB taken number one overall by the Bengals.  Then you try to bash Palmer for saying THE EXACT SAME THINGS YOIU SAY HERE.

Then you made some comment about him coming from money which was total BS because some very mentally tough men came from money.  You sound more jealous than anything.

And finally you ripped Palmer for leaving the Bengals, but Burrow did the exact same thing with Ohio State.  Funny how you want to point to accomplishment Joe had in college to prove he was tough, but anything negative he did does not count because "He was just a kid in college".  Also Palmer had to deal with playing on losing teams in college because he did not have the elite talent around him that Burrow always had.  Palmer finished 2nd in his conference in passing and had a .500 record.  Burrow finished 12th in his conference in passing and won 10 games.

Palmer played an NFL game with a torn ligament in his elbow that required surgery.  He was hated by many of his own fans because he was loyal to his alma mater instead of swooning over the Buckeyes.  It is a joke for somone like you to call him mentally weak.

Everything she said was true. You comparing Burrow leaving OSU to Palmer quitting on the Bengals is a joke.

Burrow was behind 2 QB's he would never start over at the time.

Palmer was the starter and quit on the team, his coaches, the city and the fans.

As I said, I liked Carson when he was here and understand his frustrations but you just don't do that especially if you know 
what kind of man Mike Brown is. He is a hard headed man and you are not going to force his hand this way. Carson should
of known this.

Carson Palmer has an entitlement issue, Joe Burrow is humble and are complete opposites in this department as well as in
decision making. These are mental issues, you know, you are either mentally strong or mentally weak.

Bonnie is correct and knows which one is which, you don't evidently.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 03:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Everything she said was true. You comparing Burrow leaving OSU to Palmer quitting on the Bengals is a joke.

Palmer was the starter and quit on the team, his coaches, the city and the fans.

As I said, I liked Carson when he was here and understand his frustrations but you just don't do that especially if you know 
what kind of man Mike Brown is. He is a hard headed man and you are not going to force his hand this way. Carson should
of known this.

Carson Palmer has an entitlement issue, Joe Burrow is humble and are complete opposites in this department as well as in
decision making. These are mental issues, you know, you are either mentally strong or mentally weak.

RIGHT ON

Not even in the same galaxy. Who's going to bench a QB that's 14-1 or whatever for an unproven ?
Reply/Quote
I have seen a lot of interesting responses in this thread. Thanks for keeping it on point for the most part.

I think most say both Palmer and Burrow coming out of college deserved to be overall #1 picks even though both were late bloomers result wise in college. It also appears most agree they have similar skill sets physically. Mentally in my opinion Palmer lacks loyalty and team first mentality by his actions. He accepted a huge signing bonus to stay a Bengal a long time, then quit and kept the signing bonus which to me was a douche bag move.

As far as Burrow, we do not know how he will respond in adversity yet. Palmer was on his way to a great career and then suffered a horrific injury that changed his ability forever, it also changed the make up of this franchise. Hate to play what ifs, but I do believe we beat the Steeler's if Palmer and Henry do not go down on the same play. We win that game and it could have spring boarded the franchise and Palmer to greatness.

My take is I hope Burrow will be a little better than 2005 Palmer as a QB and a whole let better as a man of character. I hope he leaves the theatrics alone, Palmer could have easily taken the high road by saying nothing so it is on him bringing back the feelings of hatred towards CP the man. Personally I think CP is upset Dalton in the end was a better Bengal QB so he is jealous of AD.

I see Burrow as a low risk option for a franchise QB, something a team rarely gets an opportunity at in the NFL.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 03:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Everything she said was true. You comparing Burrow leaving OSU to Palmer quitting on the Bengals is a joke.

of known this.

I knocked him at the time, but I'd be harder on Carson if we hadn't seen it time and again with just about every good player we ever had til the current group. Guys like Chad and TJ have softened over the years, but they were fed up too.

I do love how Chad sings our praises as fans, and loves the city though... I don't even live there.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 03:45 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: RIGHT ON

Not even in the same galaxy. Who's going to bench a QB that's 14-1 or whatever for an unproven ?

No one.

(03-05-2020, 03:48 PM)jason Wrote: I knocked him at the time, but I'd be harder on Carson if we hadn't seen it time and again with just about every good player we ever had til the current group. Guys like Chad and TJ have softened over the years, but they were fed up too.

I do love how Chad sings our praises as fans, and loves the city though... I don't even live there.

Chad is a good guy, I used to think of him as a diva but I was wrong, he just had a lot of fun playing football.

Always loved Housh, still do. 

Housh will always live on as one of the best, he was clutch and he likes to wipe his cleats with those terrible shit towels.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 04:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No one.

Chad is a good guy, I used to think of him as a diva but I was wrong, he just had a lot of fun playing football.

Always loved Housh, still do. 

Housh will always live on as one of the best, he was clutch and he likes to wipe his cleats with those terrible shit towels.

Yeah... Chad was the first to come to our defense when the media was trying to kill us here recently. He used to buy tickets to home games to help get them on TV, and ended all his local interviews by saying I love you Cincinnati... He paid a lady's rent in Columbus a couple weeks ago.

He had his moments. He came off pretty damn selfish in 2010, and put off surgery til the last minute before 2008 while he was beefing with management, and the whole headbutting thing with his wife... But I like Chad.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 11:30 AM)jason Wrote: I don't have a dog in this fight... I'm not in full man crush mode with Burrow, and I'm so over Palmer... But...

The comparison isn't that far off. Palmer, like all pro athletes had a goal of winning a championship. He had early success, and then toughed out some disappointing seasons. He went to management with many of the same complaints we have, and Mike Brown twiddled his thumbs. It wasn't about money... It was about being able to compete. Joe wanted to compete too. As much as I love Urban Meyer, he's loyal to his guys to a fault. Joe wasn't gonna get that opportunity, and neither was Carson. They moved on. The difference was Urban Meyer didn't and couldn't hold Joe hostage like Mike Brown did Carson.

It worked out well for everyone. The Bengals got similar production from Andy for less money. They could keep AJ, Carlos, Geno, Vontaze... Carson moved on and had some success... And now we have a shot at the best prospect since Luck.

I disagree that Carson wasn't going to get the opportunity.  AJ Green was drafted the year Carson left.  Zimmer was already there building the defense.  The five consecutive years of going to the playoffs was coming.  Mike Brown was building up the team, but Carson left.  I'm no fan of Mike Brown, but we obviously went to the playoffs five straight years after Carson left, and he may have made a difference. 
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 07:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Definitely the most punchable.

Joe Mixon needs to give him a right cross. Poor taste?

Joe is too good for that now thankfully and the Pig is hopefully done.

Why would Mixon pummel him? He's not gay nor a woman.  
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2020, 06:48 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I disagree that Carson wasn't going to get the opportunity.  AJ Green was drafted the year Carson left.  Zimmer was already there building the defense.  The five consecutive years of going to the playoffs was coming.  Mike Brown was building up the team, but Carson left.  I'm no fan of Mike Brown, but we obviously went to the playoffs five straight years after Carson left, and he may have made a difference. 

I agree Bonnie

How did a rookie QB take a 4 win team the previous year to the playoffs? CP was experienced, they gave him a huge weapon in AJ Green, yet he bolted. We know what happened next, the Bengals went from last place to 1st place with a rookie QB making CP look like the problem, thus why I think he was upset the Bengals had immediate success and is pissy about it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote