Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
{{{ Bengals Board Discord }}}
I might give it a try if I can figure it out, haha.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 04:35 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Why not?  I use it for "team-chat" while gaming.  It's pretty simple, and I like that you can add a music bot so everyone can be listening to the same tunes!

Then it's fortunate, as witnessed by the halftime show thread, that we all have the same taste in music  Mellow

You seem like a hep cat.  Care to explain to ol' Llama how exactly this kind of things works?  It's a visual as well as audio experience?  We're seeing each other like in a Zoom?  I am completely unfamiliar with this concept.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 04:46 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Then it's fortunate, as witnessed by the halftime show thread, that we all have the same taste in music  Mellow

I usually play a YouTube or Spotify playlist that has a wide variety of different music genres.
I also use a music bot that allows anyone to play/skip songs, etc.

Quote:Awful Llama

You seem like a hep cat.  Care to explain to ol' Llama how exactly this kind of things works?  It's a visual as well as audio experience?  We're seeing each other like in a Zoom?  I am completely unfamiliar with this concept.

It CAN be an audio/visual experience, if the server has those features enabled, and even then only if you choose to "share" your audio/video.  You can still keep that stuff turned off and participate only via text chat, if you choose.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 04:56 PM)Tomkat Wrote: It CAN be an audio/visual experience, if the server has those features enabled, and even then only if you choose to "share" your audio/video.  You can still keep that stuff turned off and participate only via text chat, if you choose.

Ok, thanks.  Sounds like I'll just stick with the old-fashioned way.  The early 2000s work for me  ThumbsUp
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:07 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Ok, thanks.  Sounds like I'll just stick with the old-fashioned way.  The early 2000s work for me  ThumbsUp

It sounds like this Bengals discord server will be text-only, anyways, to start.  So, you won't even have to worry about that other stuff.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 04:39 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I might give it a try if I can figure it out, haha.

Discord is good depending on your interests. Depending on the number of people in it, the chat can scroll by quite quickly. It is instantaneous and real time conversing rather than hop on the forum and read through threads. You can go back and view older messages but if too many people are chatting it's not easy to follow the conversation. You can also hop on voice and chit chat through a mic. Discord is big in video game communities. I like it, but prefer forum style for my sports community dialogue.

It's easy to use and intuitive. 

Edit: I'm sticking to the forum and don't have a strong interest in Discord unless the majority of people here abandon the forum in favor of Discord.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:11 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Discord is good depending on your interests. Depending on the number of people in it, the chat can scroll by quite quickly. It is instantaneous and real time conversing rather than hop on the forum and read through threads. You can go back and view older messages but if too many people are chatting it's not easy to follow the conversation. You can also hop on voice and chit chat through a mic. Discord is big in video game communities. I like it, but prefer forum style for my sports community dialogue.

It's easy to use and intuitive. 

Edit: I'm sticking to the forum and don't have a strong interest in Discord unless the majority of people here abandon the forum in favor of Discord.

The Discord will only be used on Saturdays or Sundays during the offseason, and maybe a special event now and then.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:20 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The Discord will only be used on Saturdays or Sundays during the offseason, and maybe a special event now and then.

Thanks for sharing and I didn't intend for my post to neglect this important piece of information.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:20 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The Discord will only be used on Saturdays or Sundays during the offseason, and maybe a special event now and then.

Are you sure you can even do that?  

I'm not even sure you can "lock down" a server the way you are planning to.  Then again, I've never tried to.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 04:39 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I might give it a try if I can figure it out, haha.

[Image: discord-chat.png?id=24629797&width=1245&...height=700]

The circles on the far left are the different Discord servers. When you click on one of them, the area just to the right of them, under "Bio Studies" are the different sections or, sub-forums where that topic can be discussed. If you look below that, you can see the voice channels for anyone wanting to engage in that. The middle of the page is the chat area. The far right are the people on that server, what their "rank" is and whether they're online or not. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 06:01 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Are you sure you can even do that?  

I'm not even sure you can "lock down" a server the way you are planning to.  Then again, I've never tried to.

You can't technically lock it, but you can make it so you can't use it.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 06:08 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: [Image: discord-chat.png?id=24629797&width=1245&...height=700]

The circles on the far left are the different Discord servers...

That you have joined via invite link, or otherwise.

That list should be empty by default.  (There might be one Discord "help" server by default, I can't remember for sure.)
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 06:11 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: You can't technically lock it, but you can make it so you can't use it.

Even after they've already joined?
What if they never "disconnect?"
Are you going to manually "kick" everyone at the end of the day, and make them re-join every week?
Reply/Quote
I use discord a lot. so any questions just ask. Also, we may be using discord for Mock Draft this year. I will have to work it out with Bfine and others.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 06:12 PM)Tomkat Wrote: That you have joined via invite link, or otherwise.

That list should be empty by default.  (There might be one Discord "help" server by default, I can't remember for sure.)

Yes and yes, last time i looked. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 06:39 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I use discord a lot.  so any questions just ask.  Also, we may be using discord for Mock Draft this year.  I will have to work it out with Bfine and others.

Yeah, the board mock would be the perfect type of event to use it for.
Reply/Quote
So if you choose to add the video feature in the future does that mean I will have to wear pants when I am Discording?
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 08:04 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: So if you choose to add the video feature in the future does that mean I will have to wear pants when I am Discording?

[Image: BoldValidGalapagosmockingbird-size_restricted.gif]
Reply/Quote
Sounds interesting... for the off season doldrums.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 05:11 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Discord is good depending on your interests. Depending on the number of people in it, the chat can scroll by quite quickly. It is instantaneous and real time conversing rather than hop on the forum and read through threads. You can go back and view older messages but if too many people are chatting it's not easy to follow the conversation. You can also hop on voice and chit chat through a mic. Discord is big in video game communities. I like it, but prefer forum style for my sports community dialogue.

So, you're saying it can be quite ... discordant? 

I'll see myself out now.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote