Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Cap Situation going into Free agency
Eifert's got it so good. How much longer will he make money off the Bengals "loyalty". We can do something else with that 5-8 million (like adding it to a package to woo Mosley)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 06:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why?  If they have an extra $10 million in cap space and don't increase spending then they will be reducing their payroll by $10 million.

I can't imagine they would do that with a new coach.  I'd say they would spend at least as much as they have the last 3 years and leave about 10-14 million to roll over.

How much of that roll over is reserved for rookie signings, injury pool, and whatever else I might be missing?  And who will be the anticipated free agents, heading into 2020?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 06:15 PM)jj22 Wrote: Eifert's got it so good. How much longer will he make money off the Bengals "loyalty". We can do something else with that 5-8 million (like adding it to a package to woo Mosley)

Doubt we pay Eifert that much, it would be a low incentive laden contract nothing more that he would definately be worth if he scores TD's for us next season. How is anyone thinking that the Ravens are going to let Mosley go after they just cut Weddle to free up their cap to re-sign him?
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 06:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How much of that roll over is reserved for rookie signings, injury pool, and whatever else I might be missing? 

I am guessing all of it.

If they usually leave 10-14 unspent I say they will do the same this year.  That makes sense to me.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 06:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How much of that roll over is reserved for rookie signings, injury pool, and whatever else I might be missing?  And who will be the anticipated free agents, heading into 2020?

AJ Green
Boiling
William Jackson
boyd
billings
fejedelman
Hopkins again
*Gio
depending obviously on who gets extended this offseason
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 06:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Doubt we pay Eifert that much, it would be a low incentive laden contract nothing more that he would definately be worth if he scores TD's for us next season. How is anyone thinking that the Ravens are going to let Mosley go after they just cut Weddle to free up their cap to re-sign him?

He got up to 8 million last year coming off of a worse injury.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 06:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: AJ Green
Boiling
William Jackson
boyd
billings
fejedelman
Hopkins again

That's definitely a list of players that most fans would like to see re-signed.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm all for re-signing our own. But what team keeps extending players who have proven not capable of getting them over the hump?

Take Hart for example. It sounds like he will be a day one signing of ours. I'd rather give someone a shot who had been on a practice squad, or even someone from the AAF, and give them a shot. We know what we have in Hart. Yea he's cheap, but why not take a shot with someone else?

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 06:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's definitely a list of players that most fans would like to see re-signed.

damn forgot Gio Bennard too
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 06:41 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm all for re-signing our own. But what team keeps extending players who have proven not capable of getting them over the hump?

Take Hart for example. It sounds like he will be a day one signing of ours. I'd rather give someone a shot who had been on a practice squad, or even someone from the AAF, and give them a shot. We know what we have in Hart. Yea he's cheap, but why not take a shot with someone else?

id be okay with signing hart to a no gaurenteed cash deal so if we can replace him it doesn't cost us anything to drop him later and keeps him in camp in case the worst happens and he ends up our best option again.

Best case hes a backup with starting experience.. Worst case hes starting again.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 06:41 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm all for re-signing our own. But what team keeps extending players who have proven not capable of getting them over the hump?

The thing with Hart is, he's not even one of "our own".  He was drafted by the Giants, essentially their version of Fisher or Ogbuehi.  Hell, I'm still not even sold on Cordy Glenn at LT, for all the money we're giving him.  They need to make some FA moves, and make them count.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 06:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: AJ Green
Boiling
William Jackson
boyd
billings
fejedelman
Hopkins again
*Gio

Add Vigil, Dalton, and Lawson to the list.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 02:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Overall cap space: $50,776,466

Offense: $71,539,059
Defense: $68,393,731

Special teams: $5,685,000

Analysis: The Bengals are pretty consistent from year to year with their cap space, usually rolling over several million dollars that they use only for extending their own players. That often means they see themselves as having less cap space than they actually do. What does that mean for their free-agency outlook? The Bengals might go after some middle-tier free agents like they have in the past, but it's unlikely they'd make a big splash that would seismically shift their cap situation. Priority re-signings this season are Tyler Eifert and Darqueze Dennard. -- Katherine Terrell

From ESPN.

So about $15m to spend in FA then, right?  Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote

I couldn't have said it better. You have to have some upgrades forpr player not just coaches. Keep trotting out the same players expecting different results. The old player that change are the back ups and special teams. Its like having a race car with an average engine and you keep only changing the tires in hopes you will win the race
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 07:18 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I couldn't have said it better. You have to have some upgrades forpr player not just coaches. Keep trotting out the same players expecting different results. The old player that change are the back ups and special teams. Its like having a race car with an average engine and you keep only changing the tires in hopes you will win the race

Here's a crazy thought...wait until something actually happens and then conclusion jumping isn't even necessary.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Current roster (Listed those who are most likely on the 53 man roster barring injury or draft upgrade)
Offense:
QB1 Dalton
QB2
HB1 Mixon
HB2 Bernard
HB3
HB4
LT Glenn  
RT
OT
OG Boling
OG Westerman
OL Hopkins
OL Redmond
OL
C Price
WR1 Green
WR2 Boyd
WR3 Ross
WR4 Erickson
WR5 Malone
WR6
TE1
TE2
TE3
TE4
Defense:
DT1 Atkins
DT2 Billings
DT3 Glasgow
DT4 Tupua
DE1 Dunlap
DE2 Willis
DE3 Hubbard
DE4 Lawson
DL
LB1
LB2
LB3 Vigil
LB4 Evans
LB5 Jefferson
LB6
CB1 Kirkpatrick
CB2 Jackson III
sCB
CB4 Russell
CB5 Phillips
CB6 Harris/Mcrae
FS Bates III
SS Williams
S Fejedelem
S Wilson
LS: Harris
P: Huber
K: Bullock
37 of 53 positions
After June 1 cutting Burfict and cutting Walton                      
Team Cap Space only considering those 37 players: $62,531,185
Draft Pool $9,641,984 (11 picks)
Roughly $1,500,000 for Boyd cap hit extension
$12,000,000 under cap

Roughly 40M to spend and still be about a 12m under the cap

With that in mind, looking at the roster with 11 picks they need to probably add around 8-9 players in FA and get the other 7-8 from the draft and that doesn’t include upgrading a “full” spot like safety or DT.

QB2
HB3
HB4
RT
OT
OL
WR6
TE1
TE2
TE3
TE4  
DL
OLB
ILB
LB6
sCB

Feel like in the later rounds they should be able to fill some of HB3/4 spot, WR6 spot, LB6 spot, QB2.
Basically it’s a game of finding 8-10 FA for 40m and filling the rest from the draft imo. How would you spend it and who would you draft basically?
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 07:28 PM)McC Wrote: Here's a crazy thought...wait until something actually happens and then conclusion jumping isn't even necessary.

Here is a crazy thought.... wake up! Have you been asleep for the last 25 years. It is the samething every year the facts are up in one of the posts above. They spend way below the cap and make changes to backups and expect the results to be different. Those are facts not conclusion jumping.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 07:08 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Add Vigil, Dalton, and Lawson to the list.

Actually, Vigil is the only one who's contract expires after the 2019 season.  Both Dalton and Lawson's contracts run through the 2020 season.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 07:40 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Here is a crazy thought.... wake up! Have you been asleep for the last 25 years. It is the samething every year the facts are up in one of the posts above. They spend way below the cap and make changes to backups and expect the results to be different. Those are facts not conclusion jumping.

You must have been asleep last year when we brought in two new starters. Glenn was the 8th highest paid OT in the league and Brown was in the top half of the league in pay for his position.

Or in 2011 when we re-built our defense by signing three new starters in free agency (Howard, Lawson, Clements).

Those are the FACTS not just whining.
Reply/Quote