Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Cap Situation going into Free agency
(03-08-2019, 10:33 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Lol.  You had to go back to 2011 to prove a point.  Awesome.   Bengals can do no wrong.

Last year we brought in Glenn who was the 8th highest paid OT, and Brown was the leagues leading tackler and in the top half of the league in pay for his position.

And who cares if I went back to 2011 I still proved you wrong.

I post facts.  Troll all you want, but you can't change that.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 11:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We get to watch teams with less cap space do way more than the Bengals every year.

No we don't. 

Where do you think all those free agents on the market come from?  No team can sign a bunch of free agenst without letting other players go.

Don'tknow how many times I have seen a post like this...."Every other team in the league pays to keep their good players and every othe rteam signs good players in free agency."  They never stop to think that this is impossible.
Reply/Quote
BTW before we get any deeper into this conversation let me say this.  I believe that the best way to build a team is through the draft.  But when you get a roster that is close to competeing for a championship you have to step up in free agency and take one or two chances.  That is where the Bengals have failed.

In 2011 the Bengals admitted they needed aguard when they trie to sign Lutui, but when that deal fell apart they never signed anyone else.  Thatn one player could have made a big difference in our offense that year.

Then when we had one of the best defenses in the league we kept trying to fill a hole at LB with a series of washed up has beens on one year deals.  Instead we should have stepped up and signed a decent SOLB instead of Hawk, Harrison, Minter, and guys like that.

I hav enever said the the Bengals "do no wrong".  That is just a strawman used by weak posters who can not address what I really say.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 08:31 PM)McC Wrote: My bad.  Don't let me get in the way of your premature misery.  Go on and ignore all the signs.

Didn't you recently make a "here we go again" thread in regards to a Hobson article and free agency?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2019, 02:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Didn't you recently make a "here we go again" thread in regards to a Hobson article and free agency?

I'm not including Goebbles in any way.  He is just a flat out fool.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2019, 12:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: BTW before we get any deeper into this conversation let me say this.  I believe that the best way to build a team is through the draft.  But when you get a roster that is close to competeing for a championship you have to step up in free agency and take one or two chances.  That is where the Bengals have failed.

In 2011 the Bengals admitted they needed aguard when they trie to sign Lutui, but when that deal fell apart they never signed anyone else.  Thatn one player could have made a big difference in our offense that year.

Then when we had one of the best defenses in the league we kept trying to fill a hole at LB with a series of washed up has beens on one year deals.  Instead we should have stepped up and signed a decent SOLB instead of Hawk, Harrison, Minter, and guys like that.

I hav enever said the the Bengals "do no wrong".  That is just a strawman used by weak posters who can not address what I really say.

I think you nailed it. We had some very competitive rosters, that 1 or 2 guys could have put us over the top. Sadly, I don't think 1 or 2 huge adds in FA is enough to get us over the top in 2019. But, I would still like to see us go after a Wright or RT, add a WR for the outside so Boyd and Green can play more slot. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2019, 12:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: BTW before we get any deeper into this conversation let me say this.  I believe that the best way to build a team is through the draft.  But when you get a roster that is close to competeing for a championship you have to step up in free agency and take one or two chances.  That is where the Bengals have failed.

See - I agree with most of that. I'll add that times when your roster has about 5 weak starters is also a time to use free agency as you won't fill 5 needs through the draft. Like LB - We don't seem to have young guys that look ready to step in and be solid starters. And I'm not saying we need to go out and sign a LB to $10 million a year. 2 moderately priced guys will upgrade us.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 08:31 PM)McC Wrote: My bad.  Don't let me get in the way of your premature misery.  Go on and ignore all the signs.

I've seen other thread where you commented Lets wait and see what happens for Lazor and Austin too.

Can we declare their tenures with the Bengals as failures yet?

I do get it overall though, EVENTUALLY...the Bengals will find the right combination. But, man 27+ years is A LOT of time to not find the right combination of coaches/players/management for a playoff win.
Reply/Quote
The reality is the Bengals will only spend $25-30 mill in FA (including re-signing their own).
They will reserve about $20-25 mill for draft pool, injuries, and extensions.

With that said, they need to replace the following positions:
- 5 OL spots (Hart, Fisher, Ogbuehi, Redmond, Hopkins)
- 2-3 TE spots (Eifert, Kroft, Uzomah)
- 2 LB spots (Brown, Rey)
- 1 DL spot (MJ)
- 2 DB (Dennard, Wilson)
----------------------
12-13 total

That's a lot of positions to fill through FA/draft, so I'd expect the Bengals to try to fill with as many B-to-C tier FAs as they can.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 10:45 AM)ochocincos Wrote: The reality is the Bengals will only spend $25-30 mill in FA (including re-signing their own).

- 1 DL spot (MJ)
- 2 DB (Dennard, Wilson)
----------------------
12-13 total

That's a lot of positions to fill through FA/draft, so I'd expect the Bengals to try to fill with as many B-to-C tier FAs as they can.

That's likely reality. You figure, some of the backup spots will be filled through the draft.  Maybe 1 of the starter spots will be our 1st Round pick.

They'll probably keep 1 or 2 of the TE's. I say Kroft projected to get $5 million.

They already tendered Hopkins at like $3 million.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 10:45 AM)ochocincos Wrote: The reality is the Bengals will only spend $25-30 mill in FA (including re-signing their own).

- 1 DL spot (MJ)
- 2 DB (Dennard, Wilson)
----------------------
12-13 total

I can see your positions. I would just add we had a ton of injuries last year and we did have some guys come in and show they have potential with more experience. We also had some guys show they likely need to be replaced. Core disappointed me as did Malone especially at WR. Some of the DT's we had playing last 3 games showed some promise. McRae could replace Wilson in my opinion. I am just saying some of the guys you have listed are far from top tier in 2018 and some did not even play much if any.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 10:58 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I can see your positions. I would just add we had a ton of injuries last year and we did have some guys come in and show they have potential with more experience. We also had some guys show they likely need to be replaced. Core disappointed me as did Malone especially at WR. Some of the DT's we had playing last 3 games showed some promise. McRae could replace Wilson in my opinion. I am just saying some of the guys you have listed are far from top tier in 2018 and some did not even play much if any.

I didn't mean to imply that guys like Wilson leave big voids on the team. Simply meant to say they are hitting FA and therefore that roster spot is open.

As for Core or Malone, I agree either/both could be replaced as well.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Green Bay has certainly changed its approach to FA. Signing a pass rusher and pretty good safety. No one "wants to play in Buffalo" but they've been signing a bunch of guys. Oakland, for better or worse, shelled out money for AB, Joyner, and a tackle after Kolton Miller felt flat on his face year 1. These are teams that were similar to the Bengals in not being aggressive in FA, but now what's the excuse? Even being top 8 in cap space and an overhauled new coaching staff couldn't change anything.

They could've signed Ty Nsekhe who got similar money to Bobby Hart and has allowed 27 pressures in 3 seasons. But of course, they go with the guy that they want to convince everyone they can make magic out of instead of getting someone that might be better. They could've easily got Jordan Hicks. That's 2 needs filled right there and I would've been satisfied.

Maybe they'll go hard and make a bunch of signings next week. There are some decent options still out there, but man.. They just won't ever change and it's frustrating.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 03:50 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: Green Bay has certainly changed its approach to FA. Signing a pass rusher and pretty good safety. No one "wants to play in Buffalo" but they've been signing a bunch of guys. Oakland, for better or worse, shelled out money for AB, Joyner, and a tackle after Kolton Miller felt flat on his face year 1. These are teams that were similar to the Bengals in not being aggressive in FA, but now what's the excuse? Even being top 8 in cap space and an overhauled new coaching staff couldn't change anything.

They could've signed Ty Nsekhe who got similar money to Bobby Hart and has allowed 27 pressures in 3 seasons. But of course, they go with the guy that they want to convince everyone they can make magic out of instead of getting someone that might be better. They could've easily got Jordan Hicks. That's 2 needs filled right there and I would've been satisfied.

Maybe they'll go hard and make a bunch of signings next week. There are some decent options still out there, but man.. They just won't ever change and it's frustrating.

And boy if they do 1 thing different than in the past...man are fans praising it! In reality, you see that other teams, even GB and Buffalo do more with less cap space.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 03:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And boy if they do 1 thing different than in the past...man are fans praising it! In reality, you see that other teams, even GB and Buffalo do more with less cap space.

They don't "do more".  Their is no "free money".  For every big player they sign they have to cut back somewhere else.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 04:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They don't "do more".  Their is no "free money".  For every big player they sign they have to cut back somewhere else.

Shrewd orgs cut bait on the Harts and Burficts of the world. That’s how cap space is created when a team operates closer to the cap than the floor.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote