Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Cap Situation going into Free agency
(03-08-2019, 06:41 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm all for re-signing our own. But what team keeps extending players who have proven not capable of getting them over the hump?

This organization is the king of just treading water and hoping that the rescue boat will show up for them. If we are to really see the dawn of a “New Dey”, that has to change. I want to see them making aggressive moves to upgrade the roster rather than standing pat and hoping that a new coaching staff can wave a magic wand over the same squad and make them a contender. I am still hoping for culture changing moves in regards to the roster, but my PTSD has my confidence low that it will happen.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 07:40 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Here is a crazy thought.... wake up! Have you been asleep for the last 25 years. It is the samething every year the facts are up in one of the posts above. They spend way below the cap and make changes to backups and expect the results to be different. Those are facts not conclusion jumping.

My bad.  Don't let me get in the way of your premature misery.  Go on and ignore all the signs.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 06:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The thing with Hart is, he's not even one of "our own".  He was drafted by the Giants, essentially their version of Fisher or Ogbuehi.  Hell, I'm still not even sold on Cordy Glenn at LT, for all the money we're giving him.  They need to make some FA moves, and make them count.  

Yep...except I think Hart was a 7th Round pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 07:18 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I couldn't have said it better. You have to have some upgrades forpr player not just coaches. Keep trotting out the same players expecting different results. The old player that change are the back ups and special teams. Its like having a race car with an average engine and you keep only changing the tires in hopes you will win the race

Hart, Redmond, and Hopkins are all bad starters that should be backups.

Yet we tender Hopkins with a 2nd Round tender. He was slightly better than Price at Center. But Price was terrible.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 08:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep...except I think Hart was a 7th Round pick.

Now, there's the real irony of the situation.  Bobby freakin' Hart is better (or sucks less) than a duo 1st and 2nd rounders.  To be fair, I thought Fisher had some promise, until the heart problem arose.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 07:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, Vigil is the only one who's contract expires after the 2019 season.  Both Dalton and Lawson's contracts run through the 2020 season.

True but there both going to get major extensions 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 09:08 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: True but there both going to get major extensions 

Maybe.  Depends on how each of them perform for the next two seasons.  They are the hand that Taylor is dealt, 2020 will be his first real opportunity to "throw it in" and get a new hand.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 09:08 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: True but there both going to get major extensions 

Lawson has to stay healthy and improve against the run. Health was his major issue in college and he was injured Year 2. He was getting pressure but few sacks.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 03:31 PM)Synric Wrote: 1.) Dont forget they have draft picks, 2.) some extensions (Green, Boyd), a choice on Dennard and 3.) minor roster spots like backup TEs and OL.

I'd say they have a shot at one good free agent and I would guess a linebacker.

EVERY single team has to worry about (consider) 1.) Draft picks 2.) "Some extensions" and 3.) minor backup positions.

Sorry to single you out here, but these counters always land in every single cap related thread. It drives me nuts. These reads, and always has to me, like an excuse in advance.

This thread is just a ranking of teams. Nowhere is there any breakdown of actual dollars to be spent here, here, and here. It's just, here are the teams, ranked 1-32, in cap space.

So why exactly do we need to be reminded of draft picks relative to this thread?  Just kind of strikes me as odd to remind people of. To be fair, not just OP, but this happens all time.

Draft picks, extensions, injury settlements, injury pools, are NOT unique to the Bengals. 

We have more than enough money to make waves in free agency. Will we? Maybe, maybe not. But I assure draft picks and minor backup positions have nothing to do with our ability to do so.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 08:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You must have been asleep last year when we brought in two new starters. Glenn was the 8th highest paid OT in the league and Brown was in the top half of the league in pay for his position.

Or in 2011 when we re-built our defense by signing three new starters in free agency (Howard, Lawson, Clements).

Those are the FACTS not just whining.

Lol. You had to go back to 2011 to prove a point. Awesome. Bengals can do no wrong.
Reply/Quote
Unless they are okay with kneecapping Taylor in his first season they almost need to have the checkbook more open this offseason. The need areas are LB and OL and aren't just small needs but catastrophic gaping holes. I hope that have been scouting the Free Agents so they have a target list and instead of sitting back and getting substandard players they go out right away and take care of business.
Reply/Quote
The assistant coaches mentioned free agency in their interviews a few times so I would certainly be encouraged by the probability that they'll make some splashes. Should we expect it? That's the thing about the Bengals. They'll make a few changes to convince the fanbase they're all in but revert back to the same habits.

That said, if the Bengals do nothing but resign a few of their guys, I think the draft will go way different than everyone expects. I can see ZT drafting for talent more so than need for the future, cause Devin White isn't going to fix the linebackers alone and a 4th round OT isn't likely to be good right away if they want to compete this season. They need to dive into FA plain and simple. That doesn't mean throw $60 million at the first guy you see, but give everyone a thorough look and if you see a possible upgrade, no reason not to do it because you bring Alex Redmond back. No reason not to give up one of the 6th round picks if a decent player that can help immediately gets put on the trade block.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 10:19 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: EVERY single team has to worry about (consider) 1.) Draft picks 2.) "Some extensions" and 3.) minor backup positions.

Sorry to single you out here, but these counters always land in every single cap related thread. It drives me nuts. These reads, and always has to me, like an excuse in advance.

This thread is just a ranking of teams. Nowhere is there any breakdown of actual dollars to be spent here, here, and here. It's just, here are the teams, ranked 1-32, in cap space.

So why exactly do we need to be reminded of draft picks relative to this thread?  Just kind of strikes me as odd to remind people of. To be fair, not just OP, but this happens all time.

Draft picks, extensions, injury settlements, injury pools, are NOT unique to the Bengals. 

We have more than enough money to make waves in free agency. Will we? Maybe, maybe not. But I assure draft picks and minor backup positions have nothing to do with our ability to do so.

We get to watch teams with less cap space do way more than the Bengals every year.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 10:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Lawson has to stay healthy and improve against the run. Health was his major issue in college and he was injured Year 2. He was getting pressure but few sacks.

He is our best pass rusher + he is young he will get a second contract  here.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 11:50 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He is our best pass rusher + he is young he will get a second contract  here.

Let's see if he can stay healthy. He has 2 years left on current contract too.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 11:50 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He is our best pass rusher + he is young he will get a second contract  here.

Easy there. Dunlap and his 72.5 sacks don’t agree.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 03:08 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: its like the colts are only paying luck right now

And Margus Hunt...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 06:42 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: damn forgot Gio Bennard too

I have nothing against Gio, but I think he can walk. I'm not sayin' his replacement is on the roster, but they can draft a change of pace guy next year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 04:51 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: FWIW, over the past 3 seasons, the Bengals have been extremely consistent in the total amounts spent on free agency, with the average cap space during that time being around 39m:

Estimated Cap Space - 38m
Free Agents re-signed - 21.7m
Outside FA's signed - 5.3m
Total cap spent - 27m

Estimated Cap Space - 42m
Free Agents re-signed - 19.5m
Outside FA's signed - 8.1m
Total cap spent - 27.6m

Estimated Cap Space - 39 m
Free Agents re-signed - 6.4m
Outside FA's signed - 8.8m
Cordy Glenn trade - 11.2m
Total cap spent - 26.4m

Even with 50-51m in cap this year, I would expect them to remain around that 27m average for free agency - which includes signing outside guys and re-signing their own. Maybe they bump the total to 30m, but I would be stunned if it went much higher than that. 

For me, the more important aspect is HOW they spend that money, and how much say Taylor will have in those decisions.

And where did they end up each season since 2016? A losing record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2019, 03:31 PM)Synric Wrote: Dont forget they have draft picks, some extensions (Green, Boyd), a choice on Dennard and minor roster spots like backup TEs and OL.

I'd say they have a shot at one good free agent and I would guess a linebacker.

Hobs is that you?

This team could easily sign 3 good free agents
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote