Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Didn't Offer Zeitler A Contract
(03-09-2017, 11:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: They don't know how to win.  How anyone can defend 26 years of this bullshit is beyond me.  No wonder they shut down the old boards.

To the OP.....not shocked because Son of Paul doesn't have a damned clue how the game is won and lost.  Yeah....linemen don't win football games....well....Einstien....how the **** you gonna win when you can't take a handoff without a defender immediately in your face....or get a pass off in under 2 seconds every time.  Now we know EXACTLY how effing dumb this man is.  I wish he'd sell the damn team.

Won't sell.  Making too much money to sell.  Even the most inept NFL owners (Snyder, Brown, Haslam) make a fat profit each year.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 12:11 AM)Wyche Wrote: Right....he should have been extended last year.  They just sat on their hands to try and lowball him....then DeCastro got paid and they knew RIGHT THEN they weren't gonna pay Z.....because.......cheap.

Jon Toth can replace him with a 4th rd. rookie contract.... and can push for starting center and let Bodine play right guard.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 10:30 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Looks like all the FA Guards are bringing at least 9 million/year. Amazes me how the Bengals NEVER spend top money on ANY position for the most part, yet have little money left over for FA compared to teams like New England.

That is because New England has no qualms with cutting dead weight, even if they're still under contract.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I am familiar with this guard thing, and saw it to be true on most teams I played on through the years.Even in high school, the worst athletes among the starters were the guards.

In college, that changes quite a bit, though and in the NFL, even more.

So I always think: what's the quickest way to the quarterback? Right up the middle. What bothers a quarterback the most in delivering an accurate pass? Pressure up the middle, right in his face. So then tell me again how guards aren't that important.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 09:14 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: I am familiar with this guard thing, and saw it to be true on most teams I played on through the years.Even in high school, the worst athletes among the starters were the guards.

So I always think: what's the quickest way to the quarterback? Right up the middle.  What bothers a quarterback the most in delivering an accurate pass? Pressure up the middle, right in his face. So then tell me again how guards aren't that important.

They are the least important because there's more players that can play guard than there is center or tackle...
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 10:16 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: That's all that needs to be said. From the Bengals website:

[Image: C6g8vwsWwAEbVq_.jpg:large]

Article: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Facelift/6f86968a-e26b-4fa0-95c3-75c043ecf393

I was pissed when they let Steinbach go, but doesn't that deal kind of vindicate their position?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 05:42 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: One of my biggest issues is they say guards don't win enough games to warrant that kind of money.

Meanwhile you haven't won a playoff game since the 90's. Maybe your strategy isn't working.

I can't wait for the day that Mike Brown is no longer running this team.

I'd be curious to know what position they think does win enough games by themselves.  Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 08:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Jon Toth can replace him with a 4th rd. rookie contract.... and can push for starting center and let Bodine play right guard.

Can Ludwig van Doughboy coach them up though?  I don't have any faith in that.  Shit....he couldn't coach up a 1st and 2nd rounder.......THAT HE HAND PICKED. We won't even get into Blodine.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 11:26 PM)Wyche Wrote: Can Ludwig van Doughboy coach them up though?  I don't have any faith in that.  Shit....he couldn't coach up a 1st and 2nd rounder.......THAT HE HAND PICKED.  We won't even get into Blodine.

You won't find me defending Paul Alexander. I'm sure he was a good line coach 20 years ago....he hasn't evolved with the game, which is the problem with Haslett.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 09:14 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: I am familiar with this guard thing, and saw it to be true on most teams I played on through the years.Even in high school, the worst athletes among the starters were the guards.

So I always think: what's the quickest way to the quarterback? Right up the middle.  What bothers a quarterback the most in delivering an accurate pass? Pressure up the middle, right in his face. So then tell me again how guards aren't that important.

In high school.....we pulled A LOT.  Hell....we even pulled on counters and traps in little league.  Our guards were the ones with the quickest first steps....the meanest bastards...and could also get to the second level on backers.  WTF were your coaches doing? LOL.

And before anyone asks....yes...LTs gotta be ready to roll...and yes I played guard and some C. Long snapped....and played DE....because we were a small school and had to play both ways.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 11:31 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You won't find me defending Paul Alexander. I'm sure he was a good line coach 20 years ago....he hasn't evolved with the game, which is the problem with Haslett.

Besides the fact that they have retained him since the days of the abyss....this is my only real issue with him.  He hasn't adapted....and I hated that Haslett hire.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 10:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Question, did you intentionally spell out FA Guards, because you didn't want to write FA Gs?  Because after their continued ineptitude at stocking the interior of the OL, they look like a bunch of ****..

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 10:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Question, did you intentionally spell out FA Guards, because you didn't want to write FA Gs?  Because after their continued ineptitude at stocking the interior of the OL, they look like a bunch of ****..

Hilarious

You can say we didn't sign any FA Gs or FA RTs.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 08:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Jon Toth can replace him with a 4th rd. rookie contract.... and can push for starting center and let Bodine play right guard.

you make it sound like toth is some proven player already
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 10:58 PM)xxlt Wrote: I was pissed when they let Steinbach go, but doesn't that deal kind of vindicate their position?

Don't really think so. He was a Pro Bowl player in Cleveland. They cut him after 5 years. Granted, he played 4 years with Cleveland. But still. He wasn't bad there at all.

The next year after he signed with the Browns, the whole team gave up 19 sacks the entire season.
Year before? They gave up 54 sacks.

In 2008? They gave up 24 sacks.
In 2009? 30.
In 2010, his last year playing, 36 sacks.

They had 1 year where they had a lower sack total than 36 since he stopped playing. That was in 2014.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 12:50 AM)seahawkscheat Wrote: you make it sound like toth is some proven player already

He's a lineman. It's much easier to watch his game in college and see how he will transition to the NFL than it is for a skills player. He's big, strong, nasty, and smart. He's the real deal. I suspect if he played for any other team in the SEC other than Kentucky, he would be projected much higher.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 10:30 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Looks like all the FA Guards are bringing at least 9 million/year. Amazes me how the Bengals NEVER spend top money on ANY position for the most part, yet have little money left over for FA compared to teams like New England.

Carson Palmer, Chad Johnson, Jeremi Johnson, Levi Jones, Willie Anderson, AJ Green, and Geno Atkins.   All of these men received contracts from the Bengals that put them among the highest paid at their positions.  In some instances they were the highest paid ever at the time of signing.
Reply/Quote
Step 1: draft QB
Step 2: watch QB get injured against Steelers during best season
Step 3: watch o-line deteriorate
Step 4: QB fails to return to form/wants out
Step 5: blame QB, get new QB (see step 1)

We made it through all 5 steps from 2003-2010, started back at step 1 in 2011 and seem to be well on our way through step 3 and onto (perhaps) step 4 again. Riveting stuff.
Reply/Quote
Here's a question, not trying to be... well you all are going to think I am, but really, I'm not...

Riddle me this. How did Zeitler get so damn good with Paul Alexander coaching him? I mean, he's the best guard in the NFL, right?

Are you going to tell me that if he were playing for another team he would have become he highest paid player in the entire league, and the only reason he didn't is because of the Piano Man holding him back with all 88 keys?

Same with Whitworth. I mean, why were teams lining up to throw top dollar at a 35 year old tackle who had been coached by that moron Alexander for his whole career? Surely Whitworth can't know technique. Surely he can't be effective after years of drinking at the poisoned well that is Paul Alexander. Why would anyone want such a tainted player?

For that matter, how the hell did the Bengals end up not only developing, but even drafting Whitworth and Zeitler in the first place? I mean, nobody in the coaching rooms knows stick about coaching offensive linemen or evaluating offensive line talent, especially not Alexander. So, how in the wide wide world of sports did they end up with the best LT and LG in the NFL? Dumb luck? I mean, Alexander is dumber than dog spit so he couldn't have anything to do with it, right?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 04:07 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Don't really think so. He was a Pro Bowl player in Cleveland. They cut him after 5 years. Granted, he played 4 years with Cleveland. But still. He wasn't bad there at all.

The next year after he signed with the Browns, the whole team gave up 19 sacks the entire season.
Year before? They gave up 54 sacks.

In 2008? They gave up 24 sacks.
In 2009? 30.
In 2010, his last year playing, 36 sacks.

They had 1 year where they had a lower sack total than 36 since he stopped playing. That was in 2014.

Wow, I guess I never heard that because he was playing for the Browns and they were struggling so. So, he was the impact player I thought he would be there. Thanks for sharing the numbers. Yet the Browns remained in the cellar, so I still wonder if they had to do it over again if they would sign him. It sure sounds like they would though based on those stats and that the problems were with other dimensions of the team. Thanks again!
Reply/Quote