Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Free Agents: Who stays, who goes?
(12-28-2018, 07:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't see it as far as Uzomah being a #1. I don't trust his hands or his playmaking ability.

As for the Bengals rarely using the TE, the Bengals will use a TE if they have a good one. Eifert was just an elite redzone target. He wasn't elite in the other 80 yards of the field. Kroft and Uzomah have only put up numbers the same way Sanu did when AJ Green went down that one year, by force feeding due to lack of other better options.

Gresham caught 172 passes in his first three seasons as a Bengal. Gronkowski caught 187 passes in his first three seasons as a Patriot. Now Gresham didn't have Gronkowski ability, and he sure didn't have Tom Brady throwing him the ball, but to say that the Bengals don't use the TE when they have a healthy and good option just isn't true.

Agreed. I'd be ok with CJ being a backup.

The dropoff from Eifert to the other TE's was huge and a reason why our offense tanked early in the year.
Reply/Quote
I am a sick twisted freak and love the Bengals . Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results . I'll still be watching and supporting the Bengals next year but if any players reach free agency and want to win a championship they should run away from here as fast as they can .
Reply/Quote
The good news...is we don't have any really good free agents that would hurt the team in losing. Atkins and Dunlap are already locked up.

The others can go.
Reply/Quote
I'm cool with keeping Kroft, Uzomah, Andre and Brown. Junk the rest and while we're at it cut Rey, Nickerson, Redmond and Og just to start.

As to the TE issue, we need to get a real pass catcher there whether by trade, free agency or the draft. What killed us was losing both Eifert and Kroft in rapid succession. It basically removed all our multiple TE sets from the playbook.

At LB Brown and Vigil give us something to start to build with. Burflict is toast too. We basically need to draft two blue chip LBs to restock the drawer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 02:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think we need to move on from Eifert. He's played over 8 games in a season something like twice in 6 years.

yeah you make sense. he's always hurt. can finish a full.season. 
the thing is Kroft and Uzomah are at this really good backups. Uzomah has progressed nicely.
he hands are so much better and he can take a hit and secure the baĺl.
hes gotten better at cb blitz pickups.
but C.J still lacks the intangiables to make  the defense pay for putting a LB or S over him in single coverage.
Eifert is a relative bargain. 
Id keep.him around and still draft another TE with the same skill set as Eifert.
let Kroft walk. 
in this day and age of the NFL you need 2 better than average TEs that can do damage.
Maybe with Lewis gone, Eifert can stay healthy as now a new culture can even chase away the injuries 
that have plaqued Eifert.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 12:59 AM)impactplaya Wrote: yeah you make sense. he's always hurt. can finish a full.season. 
the thing is Kroft and Uzomah are at this really good backups. Uzomah has progressed nicely.
he hands are so much better and he can take a hit and secure the baĺl.
hes gotten better at cb blitz pickups.
but C.J still lacks the intangiables to make  the defense pay for putting a LB or S over him in single coverage.
Eifert is a relative bargain. 
Id keep.him around and still draft another TE with the same skill set as Eifert.
let Kroft walk. 
in this day and age of the NFL you need 2 better than average TEs that can do damage.
Maybe with Lewis gone, Eifert can stay healthy as now a new culture can even chase away the injuries 
that have plaqued Eifert.

Eifert isn't a bargain. We paid him $5.5 million this season. He's played over 8 games in 2 out of 6 years.

I'd rather spend that money elsewhere.

Kroft of Uzomah are ok backups for the right price. I don't think either are really good starting quality, but you need backups.

Eifert has back injuries and now this ankle injury. At some point all the injuries will add up and take away his talent. Plus, he can't practice much so that hurts the offense that way.

IF he costed like $2-3 million a year I'd keep him. But for $5.5 million we could sign a REALLY GOOD LB or GUARD.
Reply/Quote
Not a glowing list of prospects. I would keep Uzi and Kroft. I do not want to sign Eifert because my hope is that he retires before his health hurts him off the field.

I do not want to keep Brown because my hope is they draft a Stud at Linebacker in White or Josh Allen and I want them to play right away.

Dennard has been disappointing. They still need help at CB position. So many holes to fill but the players on this list would not better the team.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Well since not many of us are thrilled at the idea of resigning all these guys it can only mean one thing . They'll all be back next year ..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote