Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals GM
Is this the year Mike Brown realizes he needs a GM from a successful franchise to help run the team? We can only dream. BTW please don't say move Marvin up to GM he has already reached his level of incompetence.
Reply/Quote

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
And give up now on his 40 year plan to success ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If he didn't realize it during the dreadful, awful, terrible 90's, I highly doubt he will now. He probably feels he is doing a pretty good job now.
Reply/Quote
GM sounds great, but just give me a coach who players really want to play for. I'd be happy with that.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 08:56 AM)bengaloo Wrote: GM sounds great, but just give me a coach who players really want to play for. I'd be happy with that.

It takes more than a great coach.  An organization aimed at being competitive in the league starts at the top, with Management.  Management needs to have a vision of a winning team, then hires the right coaching staff, and selects the talent with the correct skill sets to put together that said envisioned team.

That means being able to make the hard choices, take advantage of every opportunity to improve the team one step closer to achieving the goal of a championship.  It's become more than obvious that our current Management is comfortable with merely putting just enough into the team, in order to keep just enough of a façade of competitiveness out there that fans still remain interested, just enough to turn a profit.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown has almost become this mythical character. I honestly don't think he does much more then ride out to practice in his golf cart and sleep anymore. It has kind of been alluded to for a while now that Katie and Troy run a lot of the show now. He is basically just a figure head at this point that the fans have this image in there head of him sitting in his office on a pile of cash laughing as the team loses.
Reply/Quote
Legacy ultra rich 80+ year old men just love to shake things up.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 09:20 AM)Au165 Wrote: Mike Brown has almost become this mythical character. I honestly don't think he does much more then ride out to practice in his golf cart and sleep anymore. It has kind of been alluded to for a while now that Katie and Troy run a lot of the show now. He is basically just a figure head at this point that the fans have this image in there head of him sitting in his office on a pile of cash laughing as the team loses.

There's probably a lot of truth in that, but, Mikey still signs the checks. Yes they have to wake him up and ask "Mike can we order some toilet paper, we're almost out ? " "Yes but wait until it goes on sale somewhere, just let em use the brown hand towels in the meantime."

"Mike we can get this top level RG in free agency" "Why would I want to pay him $x,xxx,xxx when I can get player Z for $xx,xxx ?"
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 11:32 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Is this the year Mike Brown realizes he needs a GM from a successful franchise to help run the team? We can only dream. BTW please don't say move Marvin up to GM he has already reached his level of incompetence.

After 26+ years of no playoff wins...

You think a season which we started what 5-3...will be the year that breaks the camels back and makes him hire a GM?
Reply/Quote
Duke Tobin is pretty much the Gm. Listen to him talk in preseason and you can definitely tell. I think Mike has some say just like any other Owner would.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 11:17 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: After 26+ years of no playoff wins...

You think a season which we started what 5-3...will be the year that breaks the camels back and makes him hire a GM?

Think again. No changes of any significance as long as Mikey is in charge.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Any fan that doesn’t think Mike Brown has a huge hand in the organization has no idea how the Bengals operate. He absolutely is pulling the strings. Talk to anyone tied to the organization and they will tell you that. Every major decision is run by him.
Reply/Quote
Oh common now, we are only a player or 2 away and every other player just has to play better! Lol
Reply/Quote
Things aren't changing until Mike Brown is no longer owner. Any ideas on how to force a change in ownership?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 12:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Things aren't changing until Mike Brown is no longer owner. Any ideas on how to force a change in ownership?

Hmm, maybe if we got enough people to vote for the NFL to step in and force the hand!

I would be fine with some people on these message boards combining their minds and running the organization! 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 12:29 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Oh common now, we are only a player or 2 away and every other player just has to play better!  Lol

This isn't your first rodeo, is it?  ThumbsUp

The Bengals have the following positions potentially losing starters to FA:
- RG (Hopkins and Redmond)
- RT (Hart, Fisher, and Ogbuehi)
- TE (Eifert, Kroft, Uzomah)
- MIKE (Preston Brown, Vincent Rey)
- RDE (Michael Johnson)
- Slot CB (Dennard)

That's six prominent roles needing to be filled.

It's probably safe to assume one of Willis, Hubbard, or Lawson (or a combo of all) will take over RDE, so the prominent roles go down to five.
If they are lucky, the Bengals might be able to find 2-3 quality starters in the draft.
So they will still need to get at least a couple quality veterans in FA to fill the remaining gaps in order to be a true competitor next year. And I don't mean Bobby Hart quality.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 12:44 PM)thillan Wrote: Hmm, maybe if we got enough people to vote for the NFL to step in and force the hand!

I would be fine with some people on these message boards combining their minds and running the organization! 

The only way the NFL would force the hand is by having something controversial happen. The NFL will not simply force Brown to sell simply because he's inept.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 11:55 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Duke Tobin is pretty much the Gm. Listen to him talk in preseason and you can definitely tell. I think Mike has some say just like any other Owner would.

You can keep on thinking that way, but I've never seen his role completely defined.  Also, I think if he really were a GM, who's hands weren't tied by the real Management that always has to approve any move he makes, we might see a bit more activity in Free Agency and the trade market.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 12:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You can keep on thinking that way, but I've never seen his role completely defined.  Also, I think if he really were a GM, who's hands weren't tied by the real Management that always has to approve any move he makes, we might see a bit more activity in Free Agency and the trade market.

Exactly. If you think all Tobin wants to do every offseason is bring in mediocre over the Hill LBers than that wouldn’t speak too highly of him anyway. I also kind of doubt Marvin would continually be brought back if it was up to anyone other than Mike Brown.

Reply/Quote