Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Bengals Have Never Won In Play-Offs 2 Years In A Row
Bengals could make history by beating Ravens. From 1968 on, Bengals have never won in play-offs 2 straight years. This team can do something Sunday that no Bengals team has ever done. Bengals play-off wins are few. 1981, 1988, 1990, 2021 and that is it. For all Bengals Fans, I hope Bengals win Sunday, because Bengals Fans sure have suffered through many losing seasons and deserve to have some winning teams for a change.

GO BENGALS

Tiger Who Dey Who Dey Who Dey Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 02:23 PM)kevin Wrote: Bengals could make history by beating Ravens.  From 1968 on, Bengals have never won in play-offs 2 straight years.   This team can do something Sunday that no Bengals team has ever done.  Bengals play-off wins are few.  1981, 1988, 1990, 2021 and that is it.   For all Bengals Fans, I hope Bengals win Sunday, because Bengals Fans sure have suffered through many losing seasons and deserve to have some winning teams for a change.

GO BENGALS

Tiger  Who Dey  Who Dey  Who Dey  Tiger

It's always so stark when you see it written out like that.  Four playoff-winning seasons out of 54 is a little over a 7% success rate.  But hey, you can't change the past and the present and future look bright  ThumbsUp  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
They also have never won back-to-back division titles until this year. Joe Burrow doesn't care about history, he cares about winning.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals can get the win Sunday, then...

51 years without Joe Burrow --> 5 playoff wins
3 years with Joe Burrow --> 4 playoff wins
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 02:41 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: If the Bengals can get the win Sunday, then...

51 years without Joe Burrow --> 5 playoff wins
3 years with Joe Burrow --> 4 playoff wins

Sobering contrast.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 02:23 PM)kevin Wrote: Bengals could make history by beating Ravens.  From 1968 on, Bengals have never won in play-offs 2 straight years.   This team can do something Sunday that no Bengals team has ever done.  Bengals play-off wins are few.  1981, 1988, 1990, 2021 and that is it.   For all Bengals Fans, I hope Bengals win Sunday, because Bengals Fans sure have suffered through many losing seasons and deserve to have some winning teams for a change.

GO BENGALS

Tiger  Who Dey  Who Dey  Who Dey  Tiger

well also anytime we win 1 playoff game we go to the SB right?
Reply/Quote
We've never won an away playoff game until last year, either.

Winds are changing in the Queen City.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 03:42 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: We've never won an away playoff game until last year, either.

Winds are changing in the Queen City.

Things have only changed because of Burrow.  The guy is dragging this franchise to relevance, and he's probably going to be our Tom Brady where we don't win before he gets there, and we don't win after he leaves.

And yes, I realize it is both oddly optimistic and pessimistic to compare Burrow to Brady and then propose that we're likely to go back to being a middling team after he's gone like the Patriots without Brady or the Bulls without Jordan.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if I live to be 90 and I said the only time being a Bengals fan paid off was the Burrow era.
Reply/Quote
There were a lot of things we've never done before or in recent history that have been done in the last 2 years

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 03:58 PM)pally Wrote: There were a lot of things we've never done before or in recent history that have been done in the last 2 years

We've never won a Super Bowl either.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 03:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Things have only changed because of Burrow.  

Burrow mainly, but zac deserves credit for building the anti marvin lewis culture
Reply/Quote
Good reminder that we should take nothing for granted. The Ravens game will not be a cakewalk just because we beat them this week.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 04:04 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Burrow mainly, but zac deserves credit for building the anti marvin lewis culture

Zac deserves credit for going 2-14 and enabling us to get Burrow.  I'm not sure the guy is a bad coach, but I am sure that losing enough games to get Burrow is the greatest contribution he's made to this franchise.

So yes, I'll hand it to ZT for getting us that franchise-changing 1st overall pick that Marvin never did.  Maybe the guy is a good coach...he sure doesn't win when Burrow doesn't play, though.

I'd rather have Marvin Lewis and Joe Burrow right now than Zac Taylor and Andy Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 02:40 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: It's always so stark when you see it written out like that.  Four playoff-winning seasons out of 54 is a little over a 7% success rate.  But hey, you can't change the past and the present and future look bright  ThumbsUp  

Jesus... when you put it like that! 

I thought I was doing badly by seeing ONE playoff winning season in my entire life so far... but 4 out of 54 seasons is a rough stat. Very sobering. Makes you realise just how good we have it as Bengals fans right now. 

The Bengals had never won a road playoff game prior to last year. Had never won a road AFC Championship game. Equalled a record in doing it too. Had never won 3 playoff games in the same season.

Burrow and the boys care not about the history of the Bengals. They'll be writing it though.
Reply/Quote
I think there are four primary ingredients in the turnaround:

Joe Burrow
Zac Taylor
Lou Anarumo
Elizabeth Blackburn
Reply/Quote
All true, times are a changin'. I am sure it will be a tough game as the Division games are so heated and this is the first
time playing the Rats in a Playoff game. Harbaugh always has his teams playing their best in the Playoffs and SB so I am
sure it won't be easy but that being said I think we win on Sunday night breaking another never won narrative.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 04:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Zac deserves credit for going 2-14 and enabling us to get Burrow.  I'm not sure the guy is a bad coach, but I am sure that losing enough games to get Burrow is the greatest contribution he's made to this franchise.

So yes, I'll hand it to ZT for getting us that franchise-changing 1st overall pick that Marvin never did.  Maybe the guy is a good coach...he sure doesn't win when Burrow doesn't play, though.

I'd rather have Marvin Lewis and Joe Burrow right now than Zac Taylor and Andy Dalton.

One of Zac's first moves after being named coach was to oust Burfict. He then helped to get rid of guys like Atkins and Dunlap. Say what you want about his first season with a depleted roster and Marvin's guys still there but he took the time to setup the lockerroom with the character guys he wanted.

Yeah, it helps that Burrow is who he is, but there are plenty of number 1 overall picks who get paired with new coaches that do no pan out mostly because the rest of the team doesn't gel. Look at recent pairings like Hue Jackson/Baker Mayfield, Kliff Kingsbury/Kyler Murray, and Trevor Lawrence/Urban Meyer. It takes more than getting the number 1 overall pick on your team to see success. You have to fill out the rest of the lockerroom with the right culture and the right character guys. Zac seems to know how to continue to do that with the turnover year to year with rookies and free agents so far.

I will be the first to say, I've been critical of Zac, especially when it comes to play-calling and some offensive schemes and game plans, but I will always defend that he is a good coach given the culture he has helped to build in the Bengals team and organization. The MNF/Damar Hamlin incident definitely shows what he has helped to build here.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 05:52 PM)CincyWestside Wrote: I will be the first to say, I've been critical of Zac, especially when it comes to play-calling and some offensive schemes and game plans, but I will always defend that he is a good coach given the culture he has helped to build in the Bengals team and organization. The MNF/Damar Hamlin incident definitely shows what he has helped to build here.

that lacking is still painfully on display
Reply/Quote
New Dey
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 05:52 PM)CincyWestside Wrote: One of Zac's first moves after being named coach was to oust Burfict. He then helped to get rid of guys like Atkins and Dunlap. Say what you want about his first season with a depleted roster and Marvin's guys still there but he took the time to setup the lockerroom with the character guys he wanted.

Yeah, it helps that Burrow is who he is, but there are plenty of number 1 overall picks who get paired with new coaches that do no pan out mostly because the rest of the team doesn't gel. Look at recent pairings like Hue Jackson/Baker Mayfield, Kliff Kingsbury/Kyler Murray, and Trevor Lawrence/Urban Meyer. It takes more than getting the number 1 overall pick on your team to see success. You have to fill out the rest of the lockerroom with the right culture and the right character guys. Zac seems to know how to continue to do that with the turnover year to year with rookies and free agents so far.

I will be the first to say, I've been critical of Zac, especially when it comes to play-calling and some offensive schemes and game plans, but I will always defend that he is a good coach given the culture he has helped to build in the Bengals team and organization. The MNF/Damar Hamlin incident definitely shows what he has helped to build here.

Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray aren't in Burrow's league, you make good points but let's face facts. I wouldn't trade Burrow for any QB right now, and even the QBs in his league like Mahommes and Allen had to be developed and built into what they are.

I don't dislike ZT and I'm fine with him being here, but I also realize that the case for him being a good HC is heavily dependent on declaring that every game he's ever coached without Burrow under center doesn't count.
Reply/Quote