Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals MUST defend this against Carolina
Everyone knows it is coming. They check the ball down to Christian McCaffery a shit-ton of times in the game. He will have targeted early and often.

The Bengals would do well to put Dennard on him and follow him the entire game.

Austin can’t sit back on this one. He has to defend them up tight or they will have a lot of long drives.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 02:33 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Everyone knows it is coming. They check the ball down to Christian McCaffery a shit-ton of times in the game.  He will have targeted early and often.  

Austin can’t sit back on this one.  He has to defend them up tight or they will have a lot of long drives.

Sounds like a good plan. I think this will be 1 game we can go heavily press man. That soft cover 2 crap will kill us.
Reply/Quote
You can't really key on the check down. The idea of having someone follow him sounds good but the reality is that only applies to man. We can't only run Man or else you allow Cam to easily run through us as the easiest time for a QB to run is when all the guys backs are turned in man. What makes check down backs so dangerous is this whole concept.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 03:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: You can't really key on the check down. The idea of having someone follow him sounds good but the reality is that only applies to man. We can't only run Man or else you allow Cam to easily run through us as the easiest time for a QB to run is when all the guys backs are turned in man. What makes check down backs so dangerous is this whole concept.

Couldn't we have someone spy on Newton? That would mean, we'd be only rushing 4 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 03:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: You can't really key on the check down. The idea of having someone follow him sounds good but the reality is that only applies to man. We can't only run Man or else you allow Cam to easily run through us as the easiest time for a QB to run is when all the guys backs are turned in man. What makes check down backs so dangerous is this whole concept.

Sorry, THIS is exactly WRONG. Man, relieves the team to  play "Man Up". It would allow the D-Line to BE VERY flexible about how to attack Cam.
The Falcons beat him and I believe the Bengals are EASILY as good as the Falcons right now.

GO BENGALS! 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 04:00 PM)jwayne Wrote: Sorry, THIS is exactly WRONG. Man, relieves the team to  play "Man Up". It would allow the D-Line to BE VERY flexible about how to attack Cam.
The Falcons beat him and I believe the Bengals are EASILY as good as the Falcons right now.

GO BENGALS! 

Sorry, saying it's wrong because you want it to be doesn't make it so. What you just said makes no actual sense. Without a spy the QB is the unaccounted for offensive player. That means that as great as the rush lane integrity may be if he gets outside there is no one on him. If you drop a spy on him you are limited to a single high safety look at best the whole game which means you are putting all of your WR's out on an island. The other issue in all man is if McCafferey does beat his man there is no help coming because they will most likely work the same side receivers across traffic to clear out.

Winning and what you describe as a "scheme" are not mutually exclusive. They can beat the Panthers, some mythical tail on McCafferey all game isn't the way to do it though.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 03:45 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Couldn't we have someone spy on Newton? That would mean, we'd be only rushing 4 

It's not the rush that this hurts it's the safety shell. You basically commit to single high all game. That creates a lot of easy reads and risky propositions throughout the game, especially with Dre's habbit of grabbing WR's on deep routes when he doesn't have help over top. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 02:33 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Everyone knows it is coming. They check the ball down to Christian McCaffery a shit-ton of times in the game.  He will have targeted early and often.  

Austin can’t sit back on this one.  He has to defend them up tight or they will have a lot of long drives.

Or we blitz 1 or 2 guys to make him stay in and pass protect with a spy on him. I could be wrong, but I think our corners match up well one on one. Their TE threat is hurt so no match up nightmare. Lots of way to defend an offense with limited WR talent
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 04:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: It's not the rush that this hurts it's the safety shell. You basically commit to single high all game. That creates a lot of easy reads and risky propositions throughout the game, especially with Dre's habbit of grabbing WR's on deep routes when he doesn't have help over top. 

Thanks for the info!
Reply/Quote
The key to me is to play disciplined.

Have the ends stay out and do not crash inside, Cam runs outside every time that happens. Once he is outside, most LBers leave their area and move forward to stop Cam from running for the 1st down, once they do that, the TEs are usually left wide open and Cam hits them for the gain. Since Olsen is out, I believe that McCaf will take on this role.

What makes Newton dangerous is if the LBers stay back, then it gives him running room to take off for the 1st down. Which is why I say stay outside and make him stay in the pocket and try to run on the inside of the rush.
Reply/Quote

Dennard is an excellent choice for this assignment.

Reply/Quote
We've been burned alive in these first two games underneath !

We're the 27th ranked D giving up 402 yards a game, 30th ranked pass D giving up 332 yards a game and the bulk of that has been underneath.

This D is better than that and they've got to quit playing so soft and giving up so much on the dinking and dunking.
Reply/Quote
Cover 1 with a spy then? Yeah it's a much easier said than done have to play zone better especially from the LBers.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
AU, ice Periodic Table ref too, anyway.

I have just looked at most of the statistics I could find and I honestly do NOT see the Panthers winning. Close MAYBE. The Bengals have TOO much offense, McCaffery is their BEST receiver. OK, he is good.
The Bengals will win. And BTW, I like the idea of blitzing Cam with the Corners and Safeties. Crazy fronts to mess with him... OH YEAH...
Oh and another BTW, the Bengals D-Backs are pretty good....

GO BENGALS!
Reply/Quote

Yes, tackle McCaffrey well on Defense, don't let Cam out of the pocket running and don't turn the ball over on Offense.

I think it is a simple strategy in beating this team.
Reply/Quote
I love our DEs versus the Carolina Tackles. However, they are aware that their Tackles are shit, and plan around it. We're going to need for the LBs and Safeties to play the most disciplined game that they are capable of. Go ahead, allow the DE's to run wild and cause chaos, the rest of the D needs to be ready to pick up those busted plays that Cam Newton is so good at making.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 04:11 PM)Au165 Wrote: Sorry, saying it's wrong because you want it to be doesn't make it so. What you just said makes no actual sense. Without a spy the QB is the unaccounted for offensive player. That means that as great as the rush lane integrity may be if he gets outside there is no one on him. If you drop a spy on him you are limited to a single high safety look at best the whole game which means you are putting all of your WR's out on an island. The other issue in all man is if McCafferey does beat his man there is no help coming because they will most likely work the same side receivers across traffic to clear out.

Winning and what you describe as a "scheme" are not mutually exclusive. They can beat the Panthers, some mythical tail on McCafferey all game isn't the way to do it though.

Au165, you are a great football mind but all you had to say is tackle the check down well lol

(09-20-2018, 04:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: It's not the rush that this hurts it's the safety shell. You basically commit to single high all game. That creates a lot of easy reads and risky propositions throughout the game, especially with Dre's habbit of grabbing WR's on deep routes when he doesn't have help over top. 

This is true about the QB spy. Just keep Cam in the pocket and tackle the checkdowns while your DB's try and hold up.

We have good DB's, even Dre has been good so far this year and has not been grabbing near as much.
Reply/Quote

Sure you can, and although I understand what you are saying with “man coverage” and their backs being turned, I would think you could have Dennard stay on CM without altering everything else in your game plan. He is our best tackler and is versatile enough to stick with him, or rush the passer if his key on CM would tell him he’s staying in to block.

They wouldn’t be blitzing if they did this, and I think it would force Cam to make higher-risk throws, as well as hold the ball longer which can only help the pressure.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2018, 09:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Sure you can, and although I understand what you are saying with “man coverage” and their backs being turned, I would think you could have Dennard stay on CM without altering everything else in your game plan.  He is our best tackler and is versatile enough to stick with him, or rush the passer if his key on CM would tell him he’s staying in to block.

They wouldn’t be blitzing if they did this, and I think it would force Cam to make higher-risk throws, as well as hold the ball longer which can only help the pressure.

No, you really can't. You can get away with guys following in zone on the outside, but not in the backfield because of the two way go. You'd have to have him playing man which means your not going to put zone behind that, it just would leave too big of gaps. The other issue is that means you are in dime personnel because you can't leave a LB out on a slot WR when they go 3 wide since a CB is taking the HB. Now we are in dime personnel all game, which puts us at a mismatch on the slot with Dennard on CMC and Phillips or Mcrae on DJ Moore, and so Carolina starts running a bunch of inside zone and killing us as their O line are now getting to the second level on DB's instead of LB's. When we sell out to stop the run from our dime personnel package they crush the slot mismatch. 

CMC is not going to single handily beat us catching check down passes. We will probably play zone mainly with some press man on longer 3rd downs. As someone else said you can slow down CMC by sending extra blitzers and making him stay in to block. You don't get too cute and break fundamental football concepts for CMC, he is good but he isn't as good as guys here are acting like Le'Veon Bell is better and we have bottled him up before. 
Reply/Quote
To limit Cristian McCaffrey the linebackers and safeties need to tackle in space and limit his yards after catch.

The match up I don't like against Carolina is Kuechly vs Gio. Luke Kuechly just seems to matchup well against what Gio brings to the game.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote