Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals: No Extension For Dalton
(03-28-2019, 12:35 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Bengals fans new low.  22 tds 11 ints 2500 yards.  Balling

Baker Mayfield had 27 TDs and 14 INTs in 2 more starts than Andy, and everyone seems to think he was "balling" last year. Baker was also one game under .500, posted a lower QBR, and had a similar quarterback rating... plus he had the advantage of playing the Bengals defense twice.

The Bengals had a million problems last year. Andy wasn't one of them.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 10:43 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: He ended the year throwing 22 tds n 11 ints for 2500 yards. n bengals had 5 n 6 record.  My god is this considered “balling out”.    In such a passing league that’s not very good.   Now here come the excuses.

22 TD's in 11 games would average out to 32 TD's for a full season.

That's a lot of TD's. And lets not forget that his receivers and line were doo-doo for much of the year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 12:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well he broke his thumb on the one he executed a couple years back. Perhaps we're better served having him on the sidelines during the Defensive plays. We might not be there yet for the offensive plays, but it's trending that direction. 

Just to clarify things I'm really not suggesting any QB is responsible for being the best tackler on the field..nor for tackling in general. The few times a QB has to make tackles are the exception and far, far from the rule..
The only thing we should be concerned about in regards to the QB is playing the QB position and not that of defensive mavin..  But that's just my humble opinion. Others may vary.. 
At any rate, Andy will eventually be replaced, but I'm not so sure anyone should be in a hurry to find his replacement. He's far from the worst QB we've ever had and many teams and fans would love to have him on their teams.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 01:25 PM)grampahol Wrote: Just to clarify things I'm really not suggesting any QB is responsible for being the best tackler on the field..nor for tackling in general. The few times a QB has to make tackles are the exception and far, far from the rule..
The only thing we should be concerned about in regards to the QB is playing the QB position and not that of defensive mavin..  But that's just my humble opinion. Others may vary.. 
At any rate, Andy will eventually be replaced, but I'm not so sure anyone should be in a hurry to find his replacement. He's far from the worst QB we've ever had and many teams and fans would love to have him on their teams.. 
List all the teams that would love to replace their starter with Andy. Then list all the QBs you would gladly replace Andy with and tell me which list is longer
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 12:43 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Nobody is saying Dalton is Mahomes or Brady, though.

Nor was Marvin Belichick.or Reid and those aren't excuses.

Dalton was team MVP until the pick play period. But things started going down with Eifert. Lazor couldn't adjust and they didn't figure out how to use Mixon until midway through the season.

We had the worst defense in the NFL and one for the history books. We had one of the worst OL in the NFL as well. Again, not excuses but facts.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 02:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: List all the teams that would love to replace their starter with Andy. Then list all the QBs you would gladly replace Andy with and tell me which list is longer

I only have one and he is surely going to be a bright shining star.

[Image: mccarron.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&...410&crop=1]

am i right am i right?

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 11:32 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I heard the DOLPHINS are desperately looking for a QB.

They've already got an ex-Bengal QB to start for them. Or have you already forgotten about the early 2018 season that was "FitzMagic"?  Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 03:01 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I only have one and he is surely going to be a bright shining star.

am i right am i right?
Each person will make their own list. Some more thought out than others
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 03:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Each person will make their own list. Some more thought out than others
I'm just really interested in yours at this point.

Edit:
Here is a little more thought.

If the goal is to win championships, it would appear you only really need to pick one guy.

Brady

BUT, it is my opinion that if the Bengals and Patriots switched rosters during the 5 PO glory run - Bill's Dalton led Patriots would have crushed Marvin's Brady led Bengals.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 08:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Need to wait a year and see what he does with the new coaching staff.

This. If he's the guy with the new coach and new offense, then keep him.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 03:39 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I'm just really interested in yours at this point.

Edit:
Here is a little more thought.

If the goal is to win championships, it would appear you only really need to pick one guy.

Brady

BUT, it is my opinion that if the Bengals and Patriots switched rosters during the 5 PO glory run - Bill's Dalton led Patriots would have crushed Marvin's Brady led Bengals.

This is where the difference between Brady and Dalton comes into play. There is no way that Brady plays the good soldier and gleefully carries out Marvball. Also if Mike and Marv don’t run him out of town for challenging thier nonsense, I would be willing to bet he has that roster playing more inspired football than we see under #14.

So Marvin still gets outcoached, and maybe Billy B gets the W, but I seriously doubt that it would have been a cakewalk.
Reply/Quote
So now we are comparing Brady to Dalton n justifying his play. I have seen it all. Never I s all those great 4th quarry throws we witness every year. It’s all Bill.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 05:07 PM)HuDey Wrote: This is where the difference between Brady and Dalton comes into play. There is no way that Brady plays the good soldier and gleefully carries out Marvball. Also if Mike and Marv don’t run him out of town for challenging thier nonsense, I would be willing to bet he has that roster playing more inspired football than we see under #14.

So Marvin still gets outcoached, and maybe Billy B gets the W, but I seriously doubt that it would have been a cakewalk.
I dunno man the Pats train kept on marching along even when Brady was hurt those 2 (?) times. Because of that, I will always wonder if he isn't just the best damn system QB of all time regardless of his fire. 

Sacrilege perhaps.

I suppose we will never know - nor will we know the answer to my fantasy scenario. Keep in mind i was talking about switching entire rosters - not just QB's. I guess we have a small sample in Burkhead - look what he did for them in the post season. On the flip side one of the best Bengals of all time couldn't even understand the playbook!

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 05:22 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I dunno man the Pats train kept on marching along even when Brady was hurt those 2 (?) times. Because of that, I will always wonder if he isn't just the best damn system QB of all time regardless of his fire. 

Sacrilege perhaps.

I suppose we will never know - nor will we know the answer to my fantasy scenario. Keep in mind i was talking about switching entire rosters - not just QB's. I guess we have a small sample in Burkhead - look what he did for them in the post season. On the flip side one of the best Bengals of all time couldn't even understand the playbook!

I thought you were just switching QB’s...That does change the outlook. It’s all speculation anyway, but yeah I don’t much like Marvin with that Pats roster, I’ll definitely take Bill in that scenario.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 03:01 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I only have one and he is surely going to be a bright shining star.

am i right am i right?

Hes no Matt Scott though.....   That guy  left his guts on the field for us.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 05:22 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I dunno man the Pats train kept on marching along even when Brady was hurt those 2 (?) times. Because of that, I will always wonder if he isn't just the best damn system QB of all time regardless of his fire. 

Sacrilege perhaps.

I thought you were just switching QB’s...That does change the outlook. It’s all speculation anyway, but yeah I don’t much like Marvin with that Pats roster, I’ll definitely take Bill in that scenario.
Reply/Quote
As Far as no Extension for Dalton right now its probly the right call... See how he transistions into the new coaching staffs scheme...

Hes not yelling for more money so no real reason to rush the issue.

We will probly be in trouble if we let him hit the market with out an heir apparent though
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 12:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 22 TD's in 11 games would average out to 32 TD's for a full season.

That's a lot of TD's. And lets not forget that his receivers and line were doo-doo for much of the year.

Started off Eh  and just got worst with every addition to IR.  especially losing like 4 TEs  its like we were signing them directly to IR later in the year.
Reply/Quote
As I said in a earlier post, Dalton has much to prove. Zac needs to sharpen the guillotine, and make heads float down the Ohio river if they cannot perform their jobs.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 06:03 PM)HuDey Wrote: I thought you were just switching QB’s...That does change the outlook. It’s all speculation anyway, but yeah I don’t much like Marvin with that Pats roster, I’ll definitely take Bill in that scenario.
Oh yeah no doubt whatsoever Dalton could complete those short passes Brady does. Difference is there it works because blocking. Here it doesn't because no blocking and Gio is usually the victim of utter destruction as soon as he catches the ball.

Another example would be Gronk. They lose Gronk all the time and the train keeps on marching. We lose Eifert and 3 losing seasons with this past season literally being the pinnacle of what losing Eifert does to this team.

Reply/Quote