Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals: No Extension For Dalton
(03-28-2019, 06:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Started off Eh  and just got worst with every addition to IR.  especially losing like 4 TEs  its like we were signing them directly to IR later in the year.

Pretty accurate, but he had a 96.0 rating and 11 TD's through the first 4 games, which is better than "eh" I'd say. He was on pace for 4700 yards and 44 TD's at that point. He seemed to fall off when Eifert went down, then when AJ went down, it was a wrap. He kept throwing TD's at a decent clip though (9 in his last 6 full games), but his overall numbers fell off. Kinda showed how lousy our depth was/is.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 08:23 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Bengals will not be giving #14 an extension prior to the start of the season.  No-brainer imo.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/27/bengals-will-not-extend-andy-daltons-deal-before-season/

I didn't know anyone was expecting them to.

I don't think Dalton was even expecting the team to offer an extension with two years remaining on his current deal.

Makes you wonder why the team would even bother announcing it.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 03:39 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I'm just really interested in yours at this point.

Edit:
Here is a little more thought.

If the goal is to win championships, it would appear you only really need to pick one guy.

Brady

BUT, it is my opinion that if the Bengals and Patriots switched rosters during the 5 PO glory run - Bill's Dalton led Patriots would have crushed Marvin's Brady led Bengals.

Those that would love to have Andy as their starter:

Dolphins

Tampa Bay

NY Giants

Skins (cause their starter is hurt)

Arizona

Those starters I'd take over Andy:

Wentz
Ryan
Brees
Prescott
Cousins
Stafford
Rogers
Trubisky
Wilson
Goff
Mayfield
Big Ben
Brady
Watson
Luck
Foles
Rivers
Carr
Mahomes
Smith (if healthy)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 06:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Pretty accurate, but he had a 96.0 rating and 11 TD's through the first 4 games, which is better than "eh" I'd say. He was on pace for 4700 yards and 44 TD's at that point. He seemed to fall off when Eifert went down, then when AJ went down, it was a wrap. He kept throwing TD's at a decent clip though (9 in his last 6 full games), but his overall numbers fell off. Kinda showed how lousy our depth was/is.

Yep if it wasn’t for injuries he was on pace for 144 TDs n 6700 yards after the first quarter of the first game. Too bad he ended with 22 tds n 2500 yards for the year.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 06:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Pretty accurate, but he had a 96.0 rating and 11 TD's through the first 4 games, which is better than "eh" I'd say. He was on pace for 4700 yards and 44 TD's at that point. He seemed to fall off when Eifert went down, then when AJ went down, it was a wrap. He kept throwing TD's at a decent clip though (9 in his last 6 full games), but his overall numbers fell off. Kinda showed how lousy our depth was/is.

IF he would have kept that 96.0 rating he would have ended up the 16th rated QB in the league: aka "eh"

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 08:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Everyone knows that Mike Brown isn't involved in the management of the Bengals anymore. The article has to be mistaken when it interviews him.

Lol.  No kidding.

If I had a nickle for everytime I read on this board that Mike brown was no longer involved in personnel/management decisions. Hilarious

Must be newer fans of the team.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 09:20 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Yep if it wasn’t for injuries he was on pace for 144 TDs n 6700 yards after the first quarter of the first game.  Too bad he ended with 22 tds n 2500 yards for the year.

You've actually got to give Andy credit for righting the ship. His first pass of the season was an INT. If he would have continued at that clip he would have ended the season with 0 completions, for 0 yards, and 0 TDs, and 428 INTs. Hell that's possibly worse than any of his playoff games. 

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 09:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You've actually got to give Andy credit for righting the ship. His first pass of the season was an INT. If he would have continued at that clip he would have ended the season with 0 completions, for 0 yards, and 0 TDs, and 428 INTs. Hell that's possibly worse than any of his playoff games. 

You’ve must have missed the first playoff game against the Texans.
Reply/Quote
Makes you wonder if Andy is starting to feel like Flacco, minus the Super Bowl victory.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 05:22 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I dunno man the Pats train kept on marching along even when Brady was hurt those 2 (?) times. Because of that, I will always wonder if he isn't just the best damn system QB of all time regardless of his fire. 

Sacrilege perhaps.

I suppose we will never know - nor will we know the answer to my fantasy scenario. Keep in mind i was talking about switching entire rosters - not just QB's. I guess we have a small sample in Burkhead - look what he did for them in the post season. On the flip side one of the best Bengals of all time couldn't even understand the playbook!

I won't deny that the Patriots and Bill Bellyache have one hell of a system in place, but Matt Cassel winning 10 games (and missing the playoffs) and having 21 TDs to 11 INTs and a rating of 89 isn't exactly a sign that the Patriots can win it all with anyone.

Just off the top of my head, the following QBs have had 1 year windows that were as good as, or better than Cassel's miracle year in New England (and they all did it without being on the Patriots)

Case Keenum
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Ryan Tannehill
Derek Carr
Jay Cutler

and I'm sure there are plenty more in the past decade.  No one looks at the Dolphins or Raiders or Jets and brags up their system because a ho-hum QB had one good year there, but Cassel getting 10 wins when Brady was out gets everyone speculating just who else could have won 6 SBs in NE, I guess.

(03-28-2019, 10:14 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Makes you wonder if Andy is starting to feel like Flacco, minus the Super Bowl victory.

I don't think you can compare them seeing as Flaccco lost his job to a guy who can't throw the football and Andy plays for an owner/GM who only loses franchise QBs because they demand trades.  Seriously, Dalton has the chance to be the first franchise QB to actually lose his starting job here against his will in the past 28 years.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 09:47 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: You’ve must have missed the first playoff game against the Texans.

Well to my credit I did say possibly. 

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 09:20 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Yep if it wasn’t for injuries he was on pace for 144 TDs n 6700 yards after the first quarter of the first game.  Too bad he ended with 22 tds n 2500 yards for the year.

Yeah, Xeno was talking about the start that Dalton got off to, so the first 4 games was relevant. Showing what pace he was on helps illustrate how hot the start was.

Hopefully this helps ya sort things out.

(03-28-2019, 09:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: IF he would have kept that 96.0 rating he would have ended up the 16th rated QB in the league: aka "eh"

Big Ben had a "eh" season last year, then. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2019, 12:15 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Big Ben had a "eh" season last year, then. 
We agree!! But maybe below "eh" for Ben. Led the NFL in yards and led the NFL in INTs. Wasn't able to get his team to the playoffs. I'm sure he's disappointed in his season as well.

Reply/Quote
Not really news worthy.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2019, 05:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We agree!! But maybe below "eh" for Ben. Led the NFL in yards and led the NFL in INTs. Wasn't able to get his team to the playoffs. I'm sure he's disappointed in his season as well.

So 5,100 yards and 34 TD's = eh. Got it.
Reply/Quote
The entire thread is meaningless, since in another article from the same day they clearly state the plan is to get AJ extended then work on extending Andy because he is under contract for a year longer than AJ.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 01:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So 5,100 yards and 34 TD's = eh. Got it.

No I don't think you do. Are you suggesting a season in which you lead the NFL in INTs is a good season? It's the absolute worst thing a QB can do.

The Army has reached a new level of desperation when they pimp Big Ben in an effort to make Andy seem anymore than average and dispute the notion that he started off "eh". Dude was well below average last year. Cherry picking a 4 game stretch brings him up to "eh"

WTS, I'll take 'eh' from Andy this upcoming year

Reply/Quote
It runs counter to the team's current narrative, but I'm mentally preparing myself for the possibility of them drafting a quarterback in the first or second round. I know that they say Andy is the guy, but this is lying season in the NFL. Basically little to nothing should be believed as gospel between now and the draft.

New coaches like new quarterbacks. It's as old a saying as any in the league. Taylor is a former qb and made his name as a passing game coordinator. If Lock or Jones are appealing to him and remain on the board at 11, then you never know. A lot of crazier things have certainly happened. Same goes for perhaps a Grier or Thorson in 2.

I'm not saying I expect or hope for it to go down that way, but I'm not going to be shocked, either.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 04:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No I don't think you do. Are you suggesting a season in which you lead the NFL in INTs is a good season? It's the absolute worst thing a QB can do.

The Army has reached a new level of desperation when they pimp Big Ben in an effort to make Andy seem anymore than average and dispute the notion that he started off "eh". Dude was well below average last year. Cherry picking a 4 game stretch brings him up to "eh"

WTS, I'll take 'eh' from Andy this upcoming year

Led the league with a whopping 16...which is the lowest by a league leader for as long as ESPN has tracked NFL stats (since 2002). No one threw a lot of INT's last year. Ben just happened to be at the top with 16, which isn't terrible. Throw in 5,129 yards (lead the league) and 34 TD's, and I think bfine is the only poster on here who will claim that's an "eh" season.

The 4 games weren't "cherry picked" to make Andy's season look better. Xeno made a point about the start Andy got off to, but you already knew that. I'll reiterate though, just so you don't confuse anyone. We're not talking about Dalton's "season". The first 4 games were brought up specifically to refute the notion that Dalton got off to an "eh" start
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 07:11 PM)samhain Wrote: It runs counter to the team's current narrative, but I'm mentally preparing myself for the possibility of them drafting a quarterback in the first or second round.  I know that they say Andy is the guy, but this is lying season in the NFL.  Basically little to nothing should be believed as gospel between now and the draft.

New coaches like new quarterbacks.  It's as old a saying as any in the league.  Taylor is a former qb and made his name as a passing game coordinator.  If Lock or Jones are appealing to him and remain on the board at 11, then you never know.  A lot of crazier things have certainly happened.  Same goes for perhaps a Grier or Thorson in 2.

I'm not saying I expect or hope for it to go down that way, but I'm not going to be shocked, either.

I think it's a possibility. I certainly wouldn't be shocked either. 
Reply/Quote