Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bengals OL drills getting slammed on twitter...
Posted by Duke Manywhether on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/BigDuke50/status/1559201662035705857

Duke Manywhether is a pretty respectable OL coach/guru. He posted the above video with the caption "DO NOT DO THIS". If you scroll down you can see Willie Anderson comment on it "leave me out of this" when he is tagged. Many are blasting the video.

I thought it was interesting.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Duke is talking technique hands and feet move as one but this is a strengthening drill not a technique drill.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Maybe this is why the oline looked like complete garbage on Friday night..
Reply/Quote
Some other tweets from the chain...

"From the ground-up, It’s ingraining bad habits, not realistic foot/ground contact. Strike-timing not realistic. For a player that specifically needs to sync his feet and hands while making a position switch, this is doing him a disservice" - Duke Manywhether

" Sick " - Bryan Bulaga

"Lol wtf?" - Geoff Schwartz

"say it again for the ppl in the back brodie" - Vinston Painter (former journeymen NFL lineman)

I'm not going to say that it is downright stupid or anything based off of this, but Geoff and Bulaga making those comments in particular is interesting.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 04:54 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Some other tweets from the chain...

"From the ground-up, It’s ingraining bad habits, not realistic foot/ground contact. Strike-timing not realistic. For a player that specifically needs to sync his feet and hands while making a position switch, this is doing him a disservice" - Duke Manywhether

" Sick " - Bryan Bulaga

"say it again for the ppl in the back brodie" - Vinston Painter (former journeymen NFL lineman)

I'm not going to say that it is downright stupid or anything based off of this, but Geoff and Bulaga making those comments in particular is interesting.

They are talking technique most NFL teams use huge runner bands to strengthen ankles and legs.

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a26412541/ankle-strengthening-exercises/

Its essentially a form of this... trust me seeing it in person at the gym is like wth is that.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 05:00 PM)Synric Wrote: They are talking technique most NFL teams use huge runner bands to strengthen ankles and legs.

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a26412541/ankle-strengthening-exercises/

Its essentially a form of this... trust me seeing it in person at the gym is like with is that.

Cool, good to know. Thanks Synric.
Reply/Quote
I’ve always been big on Pollack, but it’s somewhat concerning to see other well respected OL guys calling something out so harshly.

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 04:54 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Some other tweets from the chain...

" Sick " - Bryan Bulaga

Jeff Allen is also roasting it. 
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 04:49 PM)Synric Wrote: Duke is talking technique hands and feet move as one but this is a strengthening drill not a technique drill.

It seems to me like all these guys are laughing and destroying the entire drill in general...whether its technique or strengthening doesn't seem to matter. 
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 05:01 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Cool, good to know. Thanks Synric.

I thought it was mostly for runners that's how I know about it. I've never seen it used as a football drill...

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 05:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve always been big on Pollack, but it’s somewhat concerning to see other well respected OL guys calling something out so harshly.

I think there's a lot of pressure on Pollack this year. If the OL doesn't improve especially with the new additions then he may be on the hot seat. 
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 05:08 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think there's a lot of pressure on Pollack this year. If the OL doesn't improve especially with the new additions then he may be on the hot seat. 

If the starters stay relatively healthy I expect to see a huge improvement. We’ll still have certain people whining about sack numbers, but at least some of that is just Burrow’s play style.

I just want to see some consistency. No crazy games like against the Titans or Rams where it’s literally killing the offense. I also want to see improvement in the short yardage running game. We’d be Super Bowl champs right now if we could have extended that final drive and picked up 1 lousy yard. There’s not a doubt in my mind.

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 05:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If the starters stay relatively healthy I expect to see a huge improvement. We’ll still have certain people whining about sack numbers, but at least some of that is just Burrow’s play style.

I just want to see some consistency. No crazy games like against the Titans or Rams where it’s literally killing the offense. I also want to see improvement in the short yardage running game. We’d be Super Bowl champs right now if we could have extended that final drive and picked up 1 lousy yard. There’s not a doubt in my mind.

if Carman wasnt worse than the worst starting RG in the game, Bengals would be super bowl champs
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 05:08 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think there's a lot of pressure on Pollack this year. If the OL doesn't improve especially with the new additions then he may be on the hot seat. 

He will be out of the door if the line fails to protect Burrow this year. All that money invested to protect one of the best QBs in the game going to waste? Not a chance.
Reply/Quote
I don't get too fired up about this. Duke has never actually had to be held accountable in any way for coaching a team. It's great to be a trainer and only get recognized for all the stars that work with you while disregarding all the duds you also train. I also have to take it with a bit of a grain of salt because we don't really know what kind of personal relationships/issues he has with certain coaches/teams that can bias things.

It was a strength exercise, acting as if this single exercise is going to hurt someone's technique is a bit of a reach. They go through hundreds of reps knocking a couple balls away while balancing isn't going to turn someone into Bobby Hart. It's a non story.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 05:22 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: if Carman wasnt worse than the worst starting RG in the game, Bengals would be super bowl champs

Well, ironically - Carman is actually a pretty good run blocker. Just can’t pass protect for shit.

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 05:07 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It seems to me like all these guys are laughing and destroying the entire drill in general...whether its technique or strengthening doesn't seem to matter. 

I said what it's for I don't know if it's a good FOOTBALL drill or not. I do know runners do something similar to increase ankle strength and flexibility.

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 05:26 PM)Synric Wrote: I said what it's for I don't know if it's a good FOOTBALL drill or not. I do know runners do something similar to increase ankle strength and flexibility.

Right, if you notice today Taylor was talking about working to minimize soft tissue injuries and such. They have made a big investment in health and trying to prevent injuries. This very well may have been 100% about strengthening ankles to prevent sprained ankles which are very common on the line.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 05:26 PM)Synric Wrote: I said what it's for I don't know if it's a good FOOTBALL drill or not. I do know runners do something similar to increase ankle strength and flexibility.

Seems like it would also benfit balance, coordination and focus.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 05:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, ironically - Carman is actually a pretty good run blocker. Just can’t pass protect for shit.

his awful-ness at pass blocking completely negates whatever ok run blocking skills he possesses
Reply/Quote