Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bengals OL drills getting slammed on twitter...
(08-17-2022, 01:04 AM)tms Wrote: Yeah, don't get me wrong. I like Frank Pollack. I'm glad he's here over Turner. But I think when you're at the bottom, the problems are complex and coaches are a smaller part of the solution than the players themselves. You want to get the right game out of your prospects- for which you can use the coaches- but sometimes you need to invest in proven commodities who can help you on the field. After all, players set the best example for each other, and the Bengals haven't been as willing (or able) to do that. Thuney, Villanueva, Bulaga, Brown, Armstead, etc. were never approached sincerely- forget about Trent Williams lol- neither through free agency nor trade. There was a lot of "we think we know better" (e.g. Carman at 46) or "we can get it cheaper" (e.g. Reiff, XSF, Spain) going on.

I'm glad they took a shot this year, though. They desperately need to lay a foundation; it seems they finally realize they can't build on sand anymore. Good on them.

If we had paid Thuney $80+ million last year then we would not be able to sign all the guys we needed to fix our O-line.

You can't ***** about not signing Thuney and at the same time say you like what we did this year.  We would not have been abel to do what we did this year if we had signed Thuney.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2022, 04:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have no idea what this means but Carman was not really a reach.  He was rated as a 2nd round pick.

It cracks me up when a player is taken much later than the "experts" predict everyone says the experts were wrong and the NFL teams were correct, but when a player is taken earlier than the "experts" predict then everyone says the "experts" were correct and the team "reached".

Fine and dandy to argue about when a player was picked and where the experts think he should have been picked up to the draft and before they play.
After, it's fair to re-evaluate and so far the majority will say he was a reach. His on-field play is not matching his draft status.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 12:02 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Abysmal may be a bit too strong, but if you're argument is that they were good, adequate or anything other than ineffective, I disagree. To be clear, I am referring to the season as a whole, not just the Super Bowl. Mixon went to the Pro Bowl based off of his volume numbers. He ran the ball a lot, so he had a lot of yards. He wasn't particularly good at it, though, averaging just under 4.1 yards per carry, which was below average even for high volume backs. 

Here are some of the metrics that Cincinnati logged...

• 29th in short yardage conversion
  • 24th in yards per attempt
  • 22nd in EPA per attempt
  • 19th in Rush/TD ratio
Now, props where props are due, they did rush well in the redzone. They are either between 12th-15th in the redzone metrics I am looking at, but my main argument is that the running game was not good and Mixon going to a Pro Bowl isn't evidence otherwise. As an example, I don't think you would argue much for the Steelers run game being anything other than bad, but Najee went to the Pro Bowl as well. It's just volume and a recognizable name. 
Najee went because Joe couldn't 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 04:34 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Posted by Duke Manywhether on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/BigDuke50/status/1559201662035705857

Duke Manywhether is a pretty respectable OL coach/guru. He posted the above video with the caption "DO NOT DO THIS". If you scroll down you can see Willie Anderson comment on it "leave me out of this" when he is tagged. Many are blasting the video.

I thought it was interesting.

Twitter is people talking B.S.  

It is way too early to even know what kind of an O Line Bengals will have while still in preseason. 

We do know Bengals won the AFC and went to Super Bowl, so the O Line was better than given credit for.  Plus Bengals WR's can flat out Block.  Some of the best Blocking WR on any one team in NFL. This includes players Bengals use at #4 WR who Fans may not appreciate, but they can catch and they can get open, and they can flat out Block.  The Bengals excel on plays that call for WR blocking. 

I think the O Line may be better than last years Super Bowl Bengals, so I'm not worried about what all the Dip Sticks on Twitter are B.S. talking about.  Twitter don't win no games, and per the Ex Pres who was on Twitter 24/7 it clearly don't win any elections either.  We will see what Bengals have on the field in regular season, not on Twiddle Dee, Twiddle Dumb, Twitter. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote