Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bengals Packers Preseason Game One Observations
(08-12-2023, 09:31 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Game 1 Personal Evaluation

Who Gained

Offense:
Evans: he needed a good start to preseason and he got it, really looked good running the ball and blocking looked solid
Losivas: solid game, another one will put him play for 6th or possible 7th (this might be the year we carry one less TE)

Defense
Hill: He finally got to play more safety than corner like last year and covered well
Anderson: put him in position be 3rd safety off the bench

Who did not Gain

Offense
Browning: though he played against more 2nd teamers, he needed a better start to jump more into the possible backup QB to Burrow
Jones: had a rough 1st preseason game,, cuts looked off and seemed to have trouble getting much separation
Carman: pretty much iced any discussion of him as our starting tackle,

Defense:
Murphy/Gunter: really zero pressure from these two
Jones: The veteran needed a better game to be on the roster at start of season

I really love Chase Brown but it was really nice to see Chris Evans get quality reps and do well with them.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 10:44 AM)chrisball96 Wrote: I really love Chase Brown but it was really nice to see Chris Evans get quality reps and do well with them.

Brown had a good game also but knock on Evans has been running and blocking, they know he can catch the ball so what he did last nite in his areas of concern really helped him to keep in the mix for a roster spot
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 10:02 AM)Go Cards Wrote: The best thing to come from last night was Joe Burrow's warm ups. He was running and throwing well.

Yes, i think unless a setback, he will be ready for practice two weeks out of opening game. 
Reply/Quote
Defense flashed a lot of individual talent on all levels. Collectively they struggled. The talent was flashing. The ones that had been getting the hype flashed. Good game one for more players on D then the score would indicate.

Offense not so much. It’s the system I fear. We will never be able to run the ball consistently. This system isn’t dedicated to it. If this O could establish a consistent run game including running from under center (and have them actually believe you will throw it which no one does when we do try to run from under center), they will have reached their ceiling and be dominant.

Pollack has to be in the hot seat but I thought Hil, Smith, had some solid moments worth noting.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Let me start by saying that I hope Jackson Carman somehow becomes an adequate Right Tackle for when Jonah leaves after this season. We need him to turn into a decent player if the bengals want to win a super bowl

WITH THAT SAID, Im grinning ear to ear at the people who really genuinely thought he was even near Jonah Williams' level. Talk about a bunch of know nothings

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
There wasn’t a drop off between him and Jonah at LT last year. No one knew how he’d be at RT. I think the hope is / was he could beat Williams out at Rt for the sake of the future need at the position.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 11:26 AM)jj22 Wrote: There wasn’t a drop off between him and Jonah at LT last year. No one knew how he’d be at RT. I think the hope is / was he could beat Williams out at Rt for the sake of the future need at the position.

sure but Jonah was battling injuries early on. Even when Jackson was playing good (buffalo), it wasnt as good as 2021 Jonah, or post bye week 2022 Jonah.

but now that Orlando Brown is here, Jackson Carmen is completely worthless. A 2nd round back up LT at best. Im very happy to see that Carmen train die down, but there's still gonna be plenty of cope lol

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
I thought DJ Turner had quite the nice game. He really flashes athletically. The slide that he ran down in the first quarter was impressive, he closed the gap quickly. I also thought Browning played up-and-down. Most of his throws were routine plays but he had a really nice back shoulder to Iosivas and had a couple of nice plays where he evaded pressure and got rid of the ball with different arm angles. However, he threw the pick where he placed the ball high, almost threw another pick where he lackadaisically tossed the ball up on a screen gone wrong and put himself under pressure a few times. Dax did well, from what I can tell without All-22. They had him as center fielder and I think he showed good range getting to the sideline to bat that deep ball away. Chris Evans was nice breaking some arm tackles and breaking off chunk runs.

It's hard to comment on the defensive line. There was essentially no pressure. On the first watch, it seemed like the ends were in contain often but they ran some stunts and nothing came of them. Murphy was getting chipped often in the second half but man, he really had very little impact. I was hoping to see more from him. I didn't really pay any attention to the linebackers. Siemian, in my mind, was maybe a bit better than Browning, maybe on-par. He missed on a back shoulder early, but made up for it later with a beautifully placed deep ball that Iosivas was barely out on. He made a good decision to ground a broken screen, had no issue checking down when nothing else was there, he seemed more poised and didn't put himself under pressure as often. He did well evading some pressure late in the 4thb but man, that subsequent throw was so poor. Close to 10 yards underthrown and was a dropped interception.

Shout out to Tycen Anderson, awesome game from him.
Reply/Quote
Probably already noted, but surprised to see the Bengals defer the ball after winning the coin flip

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 10:50 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Brown had a good game also but knock on Evans has been running and blocking, they know he can catch the ball so what he did last nite in his areas of concern really helped him to keep in the mix for a roster spot

I concur. I think losing Perine is a bigger loss than most of us have realized thus far. He served this need well IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 12:39 AM)michaelsean Wrote: This was a tryout. A lot of people that played today aren’t going to be on the team.

And a lot of them will be. What’s your point?
Reply/Quote
My observations from being at the game last night:

We are in terrible shape at Backup QB. Browning was slightly better of the 2 but neither looked like anything more than 3rd string. For an Offense so focused on the Pass I’m surprised that we don’t find a better back up
Of the rookies, Yoshi and Battle stood out the most. I saw some saying Yoshi looked slow but I didn’t see that. He was open a lot, ran good routes and showed good hands. If he keeps this up I think he’ll be first off the bench for Tee. Battle was very active. Had some good tackles and a nice pass break up.

On the flip side, I was hoping to see the rest of the rookies flash a bit more. While Turner had a good pass break up, he looked a little chaotic out there. His speed saved him several times. Poison Ivey got burned twice but he did lay a good hit. Murphy did nothing. He lost contain on the one QB scramble and he couldn’t get any pressure even in one on ones. All of this should be taken with a grain of salt since we were playing so vanilla but still I hoped to leave the game a little more excited about the rookies.

Tycen Anderson did a great job reading the QBs. Safety will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Leaning towards keeping 5 right now.

Jackson Carmen is a LT only! I don’t understand why the coaches keep running him out there at other positions. Either pencil him in as the back up LT or cut him. Also any one else unimpressed with Dante Smith? I feel like he’s regressed mightily the last 2 years.

Jay Tuefele was a one man wrecking crew. Glad to have that depth behind Reader.

Overall was a typical ZT preseason game where don’t look that great but I have trust in the process.
Reply/Quote
I was hooked on the game at the third offensive play of the Bengals.
I saw a play by Carman Id never seen a pro make.
He got into his stance, then at the snap he stood up and made no attempt to block anyone has two guys sauntered past him.
Then the most astonishing act, standing there he turned his head around to see what happened.

Carman the pee wee football player.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 03:44 PM)WhoDeyK Wrote: My observations from being at the game last night:

We are in terrible shape at Backup QB. Browning was slightly better of the 2 but neither looked like anything more than 3rd string. For an Offense so focused on the Pass I’m surprised that we don’t find a better back up
Of the rookies, Yoshi and Battle stood out the most. I saw some saying Yoshi looked slow but I didn’t see that. He was open a lot, ran good routes and showed good hands. If he keeps this up I think he’ll be first off the bench for Tee. Battle was very active. Had some good tackles and a nice pass break up.

On the flip side, I was hoping to see the rest of the rookies flash a bit more. While Turner had a good pass break up, he looked a little chaotic out there. His speed saved him several times. Poison Ivey got burned twice but he did lay a good hit. Murphy did nothing. He lost contain on the one QB scramble and he couldn’t get any pressure even in one on ones. All of this should be taken with a grain of salt since we were playing so vanilla but still I hoped to leave the game a little more excited about the rookies.

Tycen Anderson did a great job reading the QBs. Safety will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Leaning towards keeping 5 right now.

Jackson Carmen is a LT only! I don’t understand why the coaches keep running him out there at other positions. Either pencil him in as the back up LT or cut him. Also any one else unimpressed with Dante Smith? I feel like he’s regressed mightily the last 2 years.

Jay Tuefele was a one man wrecking crew. Glad to have that depth behind Reader.

Overall was a typical ZT preseason game where don’t look that great but I have trust in the process.

Don't know who this Carmen guy is, but I think the coaches want to see Carman play more than one position. It would help the team a 
lot of if we had a future starter at RT on the roster for when Jonah leaves...

Problem is from what we saw last night, Carman sucks at RT.

(08-12-2023, 04:18 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I was hooked on the game at the third offensive play of the Bengals.
I saw a play by Carman Id never seen a pro make.
He got into his stance, then at the snap he stood up and made no attempt to block anyone has two guys sauntered past him.
Then the most astonishing act, standing there he turned his head around to see what happened.

Carman the pee wee football player.

Saw that as well, was just plain weird...
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 11:40 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: sure but Jonah was battling injuries early on. Even when Jackson was playing good (buffalo), it wasnt as good as 2021 Jonah, or post bye week 2022 Jonah.

but now that Orlando Brown is here, Jackson Carmen is completely worthless. A 2nd round back up LT at best. Im very happy to see that Carmen train die down, but there's still gonna be plenty of cope lol

So you're happy that he played poorly so you can say you were right vs him play really well and possibly fight for a starting job. Sounds like Frank. 
Reply/Quote
La’el coming back healthy may end up being a cheat code with Carman being up in the air
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 05:07 PM)TheFan Wrote: So you're happy that he played poorly so you can say you were right vs him play really well and possibly fight for a starting job. Sounds like Frank. 

Him playing poorly honestly makes me very nervous because (a) we don’t know when Collins will be healthy and (b) who knows what Collins will look like when he actually gets back. Jonah doesn’t have the best track record health wise, so the backup RT position is pretty important in my mind and I really hope Carman can will find a way to play better.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
Other than Ben Brown the Bengals backup offensive line was tough to watch. D'Ante Smith was the best tackle of the bunch but its not saying much.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 05:16 PM)chrisball96 Wrote: Him playing poorly honestly makes me very nervous because (a) we don’t know when Collins will be healthy and (b) who knows what Collins will look like when he actually gets back. Jonah doesn’t have the best track record health wise, so the backup RT position is pretty important in my mind and I really hope Carman can will find a way to play better.

I certainly agree. No Bengals fan should be rooting or hoping that he doesn't play well. It's in everyone's best interest that he shows he can at least be a decent back up, even if he's not a top starting lineman. 
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 02:38 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: And a lot of them will be. What’s your point?

Never mind
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote