Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bengals Packers Preseason Game One Observations
(08-11-2023, 10:29 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The score doesn’t matter even a little.

Know but blocking, running the ball, not being out of
Position, and penalties do, and guess what- that leads to scores/stops.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 12:28 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Know but blocking, running the ball, not being out of
Position, and penalties do, and guess what- that leads to scores/stops.

This was a tryout. A lot of people that played today aren’t going to be on the team.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2023, 11:04 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: At what point do you start looking at Frank?

a year ago or so.

We need Big Fat paulie to elevate the team again.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2023, 10:53 PM)Joelist Wrote: I didn't really care if they WON, but to do this is embarrassing and doubly so to do it at home. It's basically pissing all over the fans and saying they don't care about rewarding the fans with good play. 

Tonight was about player evaluation to develop a roster for when the wins and losses matter.
Reply/Quote
Why do we do this every preseason?
Reply/Quote
Let me guess...the sky is falling in preseason.
Reply/Quote
why didn't volson play?
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 01:13 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: why didn't volson play?

Did any starters play?
Reply/Quote
I had thought Chase Brown looked good and had a lot of yards but the box score says he only had 12 yards so I guess I gotta re-watch it!
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 01:51 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I had thought Chase Brown looked good and had a lot of yards but the box score says he only had 12 yards so I guess I gotta re-watch it!

He had a big catch and run.

Also, he was crushed behind the line several time, which skews his yardage and oer carry avg. He looked fine. Dynamic for sure

Evans was excellent all around.

Yoshi was excellent even with having some stuff not go his way.

^ Half a foot out for a sweet TD grab. Another toe touch barely missed what would have been a killer catch. And blatant PI that wasn't called negated a long gain. Dude climbed Yoshi's back well before the ball got there.

Yoshi looked like a real deal threat to ve out there. chock Sizzle was with the cleanup crew at the end. Looked like a JAG. Quick, but no separation or good body positioning on the throws he got. Yoshi dominated. Big. Strong. Fast. Genuinely impressed. This kid makes the team if he has 1 more game like this.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 12:48 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: a year ago or so.

We need Big Fat paulie to elevate the team again.

Hell no! Keep Alexander as far as you can from this team. He is the reason our line s in the state it is in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 07:35 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Hell no!  Keep Alexander as far as you can from this team.  He is the reason our line s in the state it is in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There is no one on this line that was with bengals when he coached and Pollack does not come close to the accomplishments of Alexander. This is Pollacks line plain and simple and a make or break year I think for him especiallywith the historic investmentsbengals have made in FA pickups on the line.. With that said no starters played so hard to be that critical of the coaching when you have many players that played who won't be on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2023, 11:09 PM)phil413 Wrote: Anyone miss Brandon Allen?

At this point I am missing Matt Scott and he literally threw up on the field. 

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 01:53 AM)PDub80 Wrote: He had a big catch and run.

Also, he was crushed behind the line several time, which skews his yardage and oer carry avg. He looked fine. Dynamic for sure

Evans was excellent all around.

Yoshi was excellent even with having some stuff not go his way.

^ Half a foot out for a sweet TD grab. Another toe touch barely missed what would have been a killer catch. And blatant PI that wasn't called negated a long gain. Dude climbed Yoshi's back well before the ball got there.

Yoshi looked like a real deal threat to ve out there. chock Sizzle was with the cleanup crew at the end. Looked like a JAG. Quick, but no separation or good body positioning on the throws he got. Yoshi dominated. Big. Strong. Fast. Genuinely impressed. This kid makes the team if he has 1 more game like this.

I agree Evans looked good but I was really impressed with Chase Brown. I was out at an outdoor party watching it at the bar with a guitar player making it so I couldn't even hear the announcers, and the negative plays just didn't stand out nearly as much. 

Yoshi looked damn good and that touchdown grab was more like a tenth of a foot out, if that. It felt like he caught ten balls out there. I thought I remembered him having a drop early (might be wrong) but then the fact that he rebounded and still played well makes it that much more impressive! He looked like a man amongst boys.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 01:44 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: Did any starters play?

Hill did on defense, i don't believe any starter did on offense that I saw at the game 
Reply/Quote
Game 1 Personal Evaluation

Who Gained

Offense:
Evans: he needed a good start to preseason and he got it, really looked good running the ball and blocking looked solid
Losivas: solid game, another one will put him play for 6th or possible 7th (this might be the year we carry one less TE)

Defense
Hill: He finally got to play more safety than corner like last year and covered well
Anderson: put him in position be 3rd safety off the bench

Who did not Gain

Offense
Browning: though he played against more 2nd teamers, he needed a better start to jump more into the possible backup QB to Burrow
Jones: had a rough 1st preseason game,, cuts looked off and seemed to have trouble getting much separation
Carman: pretty much iced any discussion of him as our starting tackle,

Defense:
Murphy/Gunter: really zero pressure from these two
Jones: The veteran needed a better game to be on the roster at start of season
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 01:44 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: Did any starters play?

Believe Dax Hill was the only starter to play last night besides the punter, kicker, and long snapper. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The best thing to come from last night was Joe Burrow's warm ups. He was running and throwing well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 09:31 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Game 1 Personal Evaluation

Who Gained

Offense:
Evans: he needed a good start to preseason and he got it, really looked good running the ball and blocking looked solid
Losivas: solid game, another one will put him play for 6th or possible 7th (this might be the year we carry one less TE)

Defense
Hill: He finally got to play more safety than corner like last year and covered well
Anderson: put him in position be 3rd safety off the bench

Who did not Gain

Offense
Browning: though he played against more 2nd teamers, he needed a better start to jump more into the possible backup QB to Burrow
Jones: had a rough 1st preseason game,, cuts looked off and seemed to have trouble getting much separation
Carman: pretty much iced any discussion of him as our starting tackle,

Defense:
Murphy/Gunter: really zero pressure from these two
Jones: The veteran needed a better game to be on the roster at start of season

That’s a good synopsis. I’d say the backup run defense was awful. Tufele looked okay.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2023, 01:00 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Tonight was about player evaluation to develop a roster for when the wins and losses matter.

The roster is better and they’ve got to make more tough decisions than they have in recent years. And for once some are going to get picked up after the Final Cut. I was really disappointed in the backups in the trenches.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote