Poll: Who is the Bengals most notorious hater?
Dan Fouts
Rodney Harrison
Mike Florio
Bart Scott
Gregg Rosenthal
Some other hater
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Player Haters Ball
(01-19-2022, 07:20 PM)samhain Wrote: Collinsworth just can't resist slobbering over Roethlisberger and his super-toughness.  

Unrealted: it annoys me to no end that he had to nepotism his kid's way onto the broadcast crew.  Are there not better candidates?  Is the only way to fill a high profile job like that to find somebody's kid that never played pro ball and nobody gives a shit about?  Garbage.

I mean for years we got on the Brown family about nepotism, probably where he learned it  Ninja

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I had to go with Bartholomew Scott. Classic washed-up, never that good to begin with, meat head who calls out an assassination of Joe Burrow?

I still can't believe the guy has a job. I would have liked to see him apologize and mention how injuring players is not what the NFL should be about and how gun violence metaphors are stupid in sports....but nothing.

What a loser.
Reply/Quote
Florio for me, just the worst scum
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 12:23 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Did he even watch Dalton play?

My God man. Did 2015 ever happen in Key's mind? Lol 

But yeah, easy to make fun of this guy, he makes fun of himself. Mellow

Keyshawn fits right in on the national media circuit.  He makes a lot of racket but actually has very little knowledge about things outside of major markets.  

He actually makes a weekly appearance on the local ESPN afternoon drive show to talk Bengals with Mo Egger.  He's said some stuff that didn't age well.  He really crapped on the Burrow pick, saying in as many words that he didn't think he'd be any good.  Mind you, he didn't JUST say this because he thought the Bengals were a bad organization that was incapable of developing him.  He actually made it a point to say that Burrow himself didn't have the physical and mental tools to be successful in the league.  Just brilliant stuff.

On top of that, he was all over Logan Wlson when he made his comments about Lamar Jackson before the first Baltimore game this year.  He loudly insisted that the Ravens would make it a point to use what Logan said as bulletin board material and make him look bad on Sunday.  He wasn't anywhere to be found when the Bengals eviscerated Baltimore that weekend.

Dude was a pretty disappointing player in his NFL days.  He got a ton of hype when he was drafted out of USC, but really never amounted to much more than a good possession receiver with a lot of physicality and not much else.  Guys like Keyshawn are not considered elite, and his career was basically that of a high level journeyman with a name and reputation.  Dude made his money off of talk and hype.  
Reply/Quote
I voted Fouts for reasons already stated by posters.

Regarding Collingsworth, I've never viewed him as that much of a Bengals hater but boy oh boy he sure seems to love him some Pittsburgh Steelers a bit too much. That's when his broadcasting becomes cringe worthy for me to hear.
Reply/Quote
I've actually heard Bob Trumpy tear into them pretty good a few times. He seemed to have a genuine beef with the family over the debacle of the 90's. I can't especially blame him, though.

I recall the ealry Marvin years when the team showed promise, he'd come onto local shows and say very adamantly that no team run by Mike Brown would ever win a title.

I kind of give Trumpy and Collinsworth a pass with their perceived haterisms. Both guys were very high profile Bengals in their playing days, and then major sports media figures locally afterwards. Their 700 sports talk days are unrivaled since. I loved listening to them as a kid, and everything after in that slot has been pretty mediocre. They both ascended to the highest levels of sports media success nationally while the team they played for became an absolute laughingstock in the 90's. Their perspective is very different from fans or even other ex-players form this team.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 11:17 AM)samhain Wrote: I've actually heard Bob Trumpy tear into them pretty good a few times.  He seemed to have a genuine beef with the family over the debacle of the 90's.  I can't especially blame him, though.  

I recall the ealry Marvin years when the team showed promise, he'd come onto local shows and say very adamantly that no team run by Mike Brown would ever win a title.

I kind of give Trumpy and Collinsworth a pass with their perceived haterisms.  Both guys were very high profile Bengals in their playing days, and then major sports media figures locally afterwards.  Their 700 sports talk days are unrivaled since.  I loved listening to them as a kid, and everything after in that slot has been pretty mediocre.  They both ascended to the highest levels of sports media success nationally while the team they played for became an absolute laughingstock in the 90's.  Their perspective is very different from fans or even other ex-players form this team.

Oh man, I enjoyed hearing Trumpy in my younger days. He was an engaging speaker.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 11:22 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Oh man, I enjoyed hearing Trumpy in my younger days. He was an engaging speaker.

He was the undisputed father of Cincinnati sports radio and the call-in show.  He wasn't afraid to go after anyone, and his voice was one of the best.  
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 06:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We've had some pretty nasty haters through the years...but who is the most filthiest, foulest, nastiest hater out there? You can use any criteria you want. Longevity. Quality of hate. Platform. Etc.

[Image: R.b23ad046542d4be75c5760878508f010?rik=c...ImgRaw&r=0]

So who wins the player hater's ball?

Candidates:

Dan Fouts
[Image: R.4f267ed5f62c031b2d28ebd77e52d4fa?rik=j...ImgRaw&r=0]

This man has been hating us since 1982. Still resents losing the Freezer Bowl, and has dedicated his life to taking shots as an announcer. A true OG.

Rodney Harrison
[Image: R.488e57dbc7feecbeb3876e9aeefbe341?rik=p...ImgRaw&r=0]

He has no ties to the Bengals or reasons to hate, but that's never stopped him. Always picks against us and takes shots at the organization, while making sure everyone knows he once played for the Patriots.

Mike Florio
[Image: R.febfbaafb43135ed82df3cf14f9137c9?rik=U...ImgRaw&r=0]

Born and raised in Steelers country, practiced law in Pittsburgh, and also had a years-long beef with Marvin Lewis after Marvin questioned Florio's alma-mater after they produced Chris Henry and Pacman. Recent love affair with Joe Burrow aside, this man has spent plenty of time bashing the Bengals and gushing over the Steelers.

Bart Scott
[Image: 71c1abcc0b5e328d5f87018b1ddbc17b-original.jpg]

Our most recent addition to the ball, Bart made up for lost time with his "red dot" tirade. Truly a legendary hater moment.

Gregg Rosenthal
[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

A Florio disciple, Gregg popularized "The Dalton Line", which could've easily been used on Jay Cutler, Alex Smith, Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr or any other solid-not-great QB. He also ranked Burrow 26th to start this season, behind a host of bad QB's, and in general rarely has anything nice to say when he has a choice.

-------------

You can also vote "other" and add your favorite hater to the list.

I didn't realize that about Rosenthal...the 26th ranking.  Boy, he looks like a clown now.  
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 06:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm surprised Colin Cowherd isn't on this list.
He's been a Bengal Basher for a long time.
Perhaps he's been coming around more with Burrow though.
I haven't really listened to anything from him in years.

Excellent call.  He was notorious for bashing OSU, calling them the "Luckeyes" after beating Miami in 2002.  Now he looks like a complete ass.  He actually praises OSU now.  He's always taken lots of shots at the Bengals.  It's too bad, because a lot of the time, I like his unique perspective on things, but he acts like such a smug prick at times, it ruins him.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 07:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've never seen it with Cris. He always seems happy when the Bengals are doing well. I guess his gushing over other teams (particularly the Steelers) has led people to believe he hates the Bengals? I don't see it. I think he's just tried to stay fair in his job.

This.  I will never understand the hate for this guy or Romo.  They are the most insightful guys calling games.  Much more so than that bump on a log, Aikman.

I remember Collinsworth having a very heated reply to someone (Cowher?) about what would have happened if they didn't take Palmer out in 2005.   That both surprised me (because he inferred it was dirty) and enamored me to the guy.  

For those that are not old enough to remember him as a player, he was an outstanding WR with really good long speed.  Kenny's bombs to him were a thing of beauty.  
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 11:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Excellent call.  He was notorious for bashing OSU, calling them the "Luckeyes" after beating Miami in 2002.  Now he looks like a complete ass.  He actually praises OSU now.  He's always taken lots of shots at the Bengals.  It's too bad, because a lot of the time, I like his unique perspective on things, but he acts like such a smug prick at times, it ruins him.

He sort of acknowledges all of this though. He openly talks about how hot takes bring in listeners and that is his job. He doesn't care about having good takes, insightful analysis, or fair coverage. He's a ratings guy only which makes him insufferable to listen to most of the time.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 11:52 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: He sort of acknowledges all of this though. He openly talks about how hot takes bring in listeners and that is his job. He doesn't care about having good takes, insightful analysis, or fair coverage. He's a ratings guy only which makes him insufferable to listen to most of the time.

Yeah, I think that is a short term viewpoint.  With so many options now on podcasts, I don't have to listen to some of these douchebags because "it is all that is on".

I travel a lot for work and music is great, but you burn out quickly.  Sports talk radio keeps the day going...like coffee.  
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 11:52 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: He sort of acknowledges all of this though. He openly talks about how hot takes bring in listeners and that is his job. He doesn't care about having good takes, insightful analysis, or fair coverage. He's a ratings guy only which makes him insufferable to listen to most of the time.

I used to really dislike him because of his delivery style and his hot-take focus.  But as time went on, I minded him less and kind of appreciated him at least being honest.  He's also admitted he was wrong about things, unlike most hot-take people.  But I haven't listened to him in probably 5 years and don't miss him, either.  Definitely wouldn't add him (or anyone who's just focusing on hot takes vs analysis) to this list just because he's said some inflammatory things.  Because they flame everyone to get the listeners riled up and engaged. 
Reply/Quote
How could the OP not mention the originator of the term "Bungles" and "Terrible Towel".

Myron Cope
[Image: myron-cope.jpg?resize=743%2C557&ssl=1]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 07:58 PM)Whatever Wrote: I used to think Stephen A was a Bengals hater.  After seeing his takes on the Cowboys after their 1st round exit, I now know I was wrong.  It's like he went scorched earth on Cowboy's Nation and then did a flyover while pxssing out of the side door after dropping the napalm.  I didn't think a national media outlet would let one of their hosts  express that much hate for a team and their fanbase, but I was wrong.  Dude is straight up ruthless when he actually hates a team.

I find Steven A. Smith's hatred for the Cowboys HILARIOUS!!!  Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 07:10 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: Both Colon Cowturd and Steven A Smith should be on the list.

[Image: 3709b27c7b286299baa77ea62836e472.jpg][Image: a5c38224665b5e26a46947807f976a9d.jpg]

This was in October!!!!

Reply/Quote