• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Release Chris Carter
Roster addition to come.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
welcome Christian Ponder!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 06:53 PM)corpjet Wrote: welcome Christian Ponder!

should be a fine backups backup
Reply/Quote
JaMarcus Russell
Reply/Quote
Tim Tebow. He's a killer of Steeler hopes.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 06:53 PM)corpjet Wrote: welcome Christian Ponder!

No idea how some of these guys keep getting jobs in the NFL. Even as backups. They've proven to truly be pretty darn bad QBs. Ponder is incapable of throwing it more than a couple yards past the line of scrimmage. Wouldn't it be better to try and take an unknown QB who might have potential rather than a known bad QB who certainly doesn't?

If they do sign Ponder, he'll be a 12th overall pick on his 4th team in 5 years. Shouldn't that be enough of a warning flag to not go after him?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 07:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: No idea how some of these guys keep getting jobs in the NFL. Even as backups. They've proven to truly be pretty darn bad QBs. Ponder is incapable of throwing it more than a couple yards past the line of scrimmage. Wouldn't it be better to try and take an unknown QB who might have potential rather than a known bad QB who certainly doesn't?

If they do sign Ponder, he'll be a 12th overall pick on his 4th team in 5 years. Shouldn't that be enough of a warning flag to not go after him?

dont know anywhere he started outside of minny.... and that team was pretty bad all around while he was there.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 07:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: No idea how some of these guys keep getting jobs in the NFL. Even as backups. They've proven to truly be pretty darn bad QBs. Ponder is incapable of throwing it more than a couple yards past the line of scrimmage. Wouldn't it be better to try and take an unknown QB who might have potential rather than a known bad QB who certainly doesn't?

Seems to me, you shake the available QB tree, not much comes falling out other than a bunch of Ponder-ish kinda guys.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 07:08 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Tim Tebow.  He's a killer of Steeler hopes.

Still has more upside than Ponder.

Downside? Then we'd have TWO SEC QBs who are BCS Champions on the team. Can you even imagine the ridiculous SEC fanboying then? There'd be no more commenting on the forum by half of the members because their hands would be too busy.   Ninja Ninja Ninja

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 07:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Still has more upside than Ponder.

Downside? Then we'd have TWO SEC QBs who are BCS Champions on the team. Can you even imagine the ridiculous SEC fanboying then? There'd be no more commenting on the forum by half of the members because their hands would be too busy.   Ninja Ninja Ninja

Yeah.  And its a conspiracy plot that he's not still in the league right?
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 07:14 PM)McC Wrote: Seems to me, you shake the available QB tree, not much comes falling out other than a bunch of Ponder-ish kinda guys.

I don't know. Maybe that's true. Would just like them to take a chance on someone with a bit more upside. It worked for Buffalo with Tyrod Taylor. Won't excatly carry a team with his arm, but certainly much much better than Ponder/Cassel-ish guys.

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 07:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't know. Maybe that's true. Would just like them to take a chance on someone with a bit more upside. It worked for Buffalo with Tyrod Taylor. Won't excatly carry a team with his arm, but certainly much much better than Ponder/Cassel-ish guys.

Who?  They just aren't out there

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Put me down as someone who doesn't like that move.

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 07:25 PM)pally Wrote: Who?  They just aren't out there

Yeah, got to looking and it's really rough. I still think I would prefer to take a chance on someone like Devin Gardner, Jeff Tuel, or Cain Colter maybe you catch lightning in a bottle or something from someone who hasn't gotten a chance yet. You're sure not going to get it from Ponder.

What is Dan LeFevour doing these days?

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 07:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, got to looking and it's really rough. I still think I would prefer to take a chance on someone like Devin Gardner, Jeff Tuel, or Cain Colter maybe you catch lightning in a bottle or something from someone who hasn't gotten a chance yet. You're sure not going to get it from Ponder.

What is Dan LeFevour doing these days?

CFL.  Pine.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 07:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't know. Maybe that's true. Would just like them to take a chance on someone with a bit more upside. It worked for Buffalo with Tyrod Taylor. Won't excatly carry a team with his arm, but certainly much much better than Ponder/Cassel-ish guys.

Taylor had a lot of time to develop. Whomever we bring in, won't have that
Reply/Quote
IMO, you decide on an approach. Do you still try to win if AJM were to be injured or do you consider the season over? If the former (which I'm pretty sure the Bengals coaching staff would choose) then you MUST choose the smarter, most experienced player. Not necessarily the most talented. If it's the latter, heck, go for the talent and see if there's something there - a potential backup, a potential trade piece, etc.

Because Dalton is supposedly coming back THIS season, I want them to sign a guy that can step in RIGHT NOW and not lose the game. I think of all the names I heard, that's most likely Ponder.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Yeah as it will take very little to no time to not develop. Whoever is brought on in.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 07:49 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Taylor had a lot of time to develop. Whomever we bring in, won't have that

Fair enough, but maybe that's a good starting point for an argument to have a 3rd QB on the roster to develop rather than Margus Hunt and his 2 total tackles in 4 games active, or Will Clarke and his 4 total tackles in 11 games active, or Brandon Thompson and his 7 total tackles in 6 games active, or Marcus Hardison and his 0 games active.

Way too many DL busts being carried on the roster, now effecting the team's depth because I think we all took Dalton starting 16 every year for granted.

Reply/Quote
It's a QB epidemic. There's not even 32 starting caliber QB's in the league. That's why folks like Christian Ponder hang around and why even teams that carry 3 QB'S will often times search for a better replacement than even their own back ups when their starter goes down.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote