Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Reportedly Signing WR- Rashaun Simonise
Being in the supplemental draft does not mean he is no good. Lots of good players have been taken in the supplemental draft. But the fact is that he was not even drafted. So he has the same potential of any other undrafted free agent, and that is pretty low.

Every year there are some undrafted free agents that make some NFL rosters, but most teams sign 10-15 undrafted free agents and only draft 7-8 players. So the chances of Simonise making the team are slim.

I am not going to write him off. In fact I would like for us to have a good tall WR. But the odds are against him.
Reply/Quote
Being tall does not mean he will be good.

According to Pro Football Reference there were 17 WRs 6'5" or taller last year. Seven of them had fewer than 15 receptions. Only four of them had more than 35 receptions.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2016, 09:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Being tall does not mean he will be good.

According to Pro Football Reference there were 17 WRs 6'5" or taller last year.  Seven of them had fewer than 15 receptions.  Only four of them had more than 35 receptions.

True, physical attributes are only an advantage if the player is talented, to begin with.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2016, 03:43 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Supplemental is for players that aren't eligible to be drafted.  Ahmad Brooks, Chris Carter, Josh Gordon, and many other good players came from the supplemental draft, but keep playing like the supplemental draft means he won't be good.

Maybe he won't be anything special, but I think the potential is there to be an impact player.

Ssssshhhhhh.......  don't tell Nate that because it doesn't fit his agenda!

Just curious, but what would you say my agenda is here?  Also, you haven't acknowledged that the Steelers have an undrafted FA WR who ran the 40 in 4.62 seconds to this guy's 4.60 BUT he's 6'6.  How are we going to stop the Steelers when they line him up across from Antonio Brown?  How is anyone going to stop that?

(07-16-2016, 09:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: True, physical attributes are only an advantage if the player is talented, to begin with.

Agreed.  This guy would have been taken in the 1st round by Al Davis...and maybe ol BFritz, ZING!
Reply/Quote
6'5" isn't exactly unheard of. Maybe I'm just being cynical, but 6'5" is only an inch taller than 6'4", but reading 6'5" sounds so much taller almost like 9'13"
Heck, let's just say he's an unstopable 4'29". No NFL defense has ever had to stop a 4 foot 29 inch receiver or let's just list him at 77"!#

# Disclaimer..At no point have I claimed to be a mathematical wizard just in case I've made a mistake with the numbers
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2016, 11:35 AM)grampahol Wrote: 6'5" isn't exactly unheard of. Maybe I'm just being cynical, but 6'5" is only an inch taller than 6'4", but reading 6'5" sounds so much taller almost like 9'13"
Heck, let's just say he's an unstopable 4'29". No NFL defense has ever had to stop a 4 foot 29 inch receiver or let's just list him at 77"!#

# Disclaimer..At no point have I claimed to be a mathematical wizard just in case I've made a mistake with the numbers

Well, a guy who is 4'29 is actually 6'4 isn't he?

I am interested in seeing what this 9'13 guy can do, but I hope he isn't as thin as Simonise is.  Actually, I hope Simonise is great so I can sing "Ain't no way to cover Simonise" to the tune of the Eagle's "Ain't no way to hide your lyin' eyes."
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2016, 11:35 AM)grampahol Wrote: 6'5" isn't exactly unheard of. Maybe I'm just being cynical, but 6'5" is only an inch taller than 6'4", but reading 6'5" sounds so much taller almost like 9'13"

He's Canadian, so 195.58 cm.... defenders will be too distracted by trying to convert that into 'Murican numbers that he'll run right past them while they take off their shoes to try to calculate.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2016, 11:51 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, a guy who is 4'29 is actually 6'4 isn't he?

I am interested in seeing what this 9'13 guy can do, but I hope he isn't as thin as Simonise is.  Actually, I hope Simonise is great so I can sing "Ain't no way to cover Simonise" to the tune of the Eagle's "Ain't no way to hide your lyin' eyes."

May want to check your arithmetic on that..

29 inches = 2 feet, 5 inches..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2016, 04:49 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's Canadian, so 195.58 cm.... defenders will be too distracted by trying to convert that into 'Murican numbers that he'll run right past them while they take off their shoes to try to calculate.

Hopefully he can learn our language quickly. I guess we will rely on hand signals until he does.

It's great that the Bengals are getting all of this international talent. Peko and Mauauluga have represented the nation of Hawaii very well. Aloha means hello AND good bye in their language. They've both learned to speak English so well.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2016, 11:20 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Just curious, but what would you say my agenda is here?  Also, you haven't acknowledged that the Steelers have an undrafted FA WR who ran the 40 in 4.62 seconds to this guy's 4.60 BUT he's 6'6.  How are we going to stop the Steelers when they line him up across from Antonio Brown?  How is anyone going to stop that?

Agreed.  This guy would have been taken in the 1st round by Al Davis...and maybe ol BFritz, ZING!

You're throwing out bullshit rhetoric, as well as taking my suggestions of possibilities to the extreme, just to try to discredit anything that I post that says he could be good and to try and make stupid jokes about me, which was evident by your second reply to a post in this reply.

And I looked at that player the Steelers signed and he doesn't look like he has any talent, which Simonise does, so that's how we'll stop them.

The guy the Steelers signed even got cut by the 49ers, so how good do you really think he is?

Also, how much quality coaching do you think Simonise has had up to this point to develop his game?
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2016, 04:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: May want to check your arithmetic on that..

29 inches = 2 feet, 5 inches..

Right...the guy is 4'29...meaning 4 feet plus 2 feet and 5 inches and thus 6'5.  Was I off?

(07-16-2016, 08:25 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You're throwing out bullshit rhetoric, as well as taking my suggestions of possibilities to the extreme, just to try to discredit anything that I post that says he could be good and to try and make stupid jokes about me, which was evident by your second reply to a post in this reply.

And I looked at that player the Steelers signed and he doesn't look like he has any talent, which Simonise does, so that's how we'll stop them.

The guy the Steelers signed even got cut by the 49ers, so how good do you really think he is?

Also, how much quality coaching do you think Simonise has had up to this point to develop his game?

Funny how the general consensus around here agrees with my "bullshit rhetoric" and not your rock-solid prognostications!  Also, a guy who gets cut by the 49ers and a guy who gets passed over by the 49ers (and the Browns, and a slew of other crap teams) probably have the same amount of talent...ie, not much.

But seriously, did you make the statement that our tall undrafted guy has more talent than theirs based on anything other than that video of him catching the football on an empty field?  That's a serious question, because you seem pretty sure of this.
Reply/Quote
I will be honest I didn't read every post in the thread;wts, if he was signed as an UDFA then it was a good move based the kid's size and upside. Nothing wrong with this move.

The more abundant young talent at WR position is a good thing during this transition period.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 01:07 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Right...the guy is 4'29...meaning 4 feet plus 2 feet and 5 inches and thus 6'5.  Was I off?

Funny how the general consensus around here agrees with my "bullshit rhetoric" and not your rock-solid prognostications!  Also, a guy who gets cut by the 49ers and a guy who gets passed over by the 49ers (and the Browns, and a slew of other crap teams) probably have the same amount of talent...ie, not much.

But seriously, did you make the statement that our tall undrafted guy has more talent than theirs based on anything other than that video of him catching the football on an empty field?  That's a serious question, because you seem pretty sure of this.

You really think I've been basing all this on a video of him running on an empty football field?

Wow.......  just wow.

Now, a lot of your stupid comments make sense.....  they're still stupid, but I understand now  ThumbsUp

I looked up his highlights when we first signed him and saw loads of talent.

Watch this video (highlight video) and also this one (highlight video) to see that he's a long strider that can make plays in the open field and is difficult to cover when he goes long, and all of that was done with pretty shitty QB play, so will be interesting to see him with an NFL QB throwing him the ball.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 09:24 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: You really think I've been basing all this on a video of him running on an empty football field?

Wow.......  just wow.

Now, a lot of your stupid comments make sense.....  they're still stupid, but I understand now  ThumbsUp

I looked up his highlights when we first signed him and saw loads of talent.

Watch this video (highlight video) and also this one (highlight video) to see that he's a long strider that can make plays in the open field and is difficult to cover when he goes long, and all of that was done with pretty shitty QB play, so will be interesting to see him with an NFL QB throwing him the ball.

Well, you've convinced me that this guy is certainly the favorite to win the 2016 Golden Binns Award, if nothing else.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 12:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, you've convinced me that this guy is certainly the favorite to win the 2016 Golden Binns Award, if nothing else.

This years competition is a tight one. Who's going to win it? Simonise or Core? Seems neck and neck to me, but Core might be losing steam.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 01:23 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: This years competition is a tight one. Who's going to win it? Simonise or Core? Seems neck and neck to me, but Core might be losing steam.

As of now I have the depth chart (for the Binns award...not to actually do anything) as:

1. Simonise
2. Kumerwowowowow!!
3. Core
4. Alford
5. Wright
6. the next nobody WR we sign, possibly from the lingerie league this time
7. Armon Binns himself (we could probably pry him away from the Ottawa Redblacks if we offer a 3rd)
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 12:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, you've convinced me that this guy is certainly the favorite to win the 2016 Golden Binns Award, if nothing else.

See, that's why it's impossible to take people like you seriously.

You say that I'm just claiming something stupid and post false bullshit, I counter it, and you post something ridiculous.  
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 02:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: See, that's why it's impossible to take people like you seriously.

You say that I'm just claiming something stupid and post false bullshit, I counter it, and you post something ridiculous.  

What false bullshit have I stated?  I said the guy is undrafted and isn't likely to be some mega breakout star who revolutionizes the NFL, NFL offense, and/or the position of WR. Fast WRs...tall WRs...they've existed before this guy, sorry to break it to you.

I also pointed out that the Steelers also have a WR who is taller than him, is almost exactly as fast, and has almost 30lbs on him.  I'm also saying that I hope this guy is great, but I just don't have a lot of hope that he will be based upon a wealth of evidence and football history.  I said the same thing about Armon Binns when people around here were already carving his HOF bust.

What have I said that is stupid?  What have I said that is bullshit?  What have you countered?  You are building a case based upon conjecture and highlight films.  You're just taking your biased optimism to an absurd level and if the Browns or Steelers or Ravens signed this guy instead of us (lord knows they ALL had the chance to do so) I sincerely doubt you'd be pissing your pants in fear over what he was going to do to our defense.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2016, 02:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: What false bullshit have I stated?  I said the guy is undrafted and isn't likely to be some mega breakout star who revolutionizes the NFL, NFL offense, and/or the position of WR.  Fast WRs...tall WRs...they've existed before this guy, sorry to break it to you.

I also pointed out that the Steelers also have a WR who is taller than him, is almost exactly as fast, and has almost 30lbs on him.  I'm also saying that I hope this guy is great, but I just don't have a lot of hope that he will be based upon a wealth of evidence and football history.  I said the same thing about Armon Binns when people around here were already carving his HOF bust.

What have I said that is stupid?  What have I said that is bullshit?  What have you countered?  You are building a case based upon conjecture and highlight films.  You're just taking your biased optimism to an absurd level and if the Browns or Steelers or Ravens signed this guy instead of us (lord knows they ALL had the chance to do so) I sincerely doubt you'd be pissing your pants in fear over what he was going to do to our defense.

First you post that I posted a video of him just running down the field.

Then, you fail to acknowledge any value in what I post and instead take it to another extreme saying he'll just be another scrub, which has become typical of you- take things to one extreme to avoid admitting that there could be any truth in what you're arguing against.
Reply/Quote
What's with the profanity laden videos ? Street cred ? Straight Outta Calgary !
Reply/Quote