Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Trade With Jaguars for DE
[Image: 600.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 01:21 PM)rezolve11 Wrote: I would be really pissed if they let AJ go. Why would they? 

He's signed through 3 more years and will be 31 when he's a free agent.

I'd think they'd keep him...but drafting a younger WR would be like the Falcons did with Jones when they had Roddy White.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 12:58 PM)Slythe Wrote: No reason to complain about fresh, young talent. 

Describing a former 5th round pick, who has posted a career 4.5 sacks, has made ZERO starts, and is coming off a 4 tackle season in year 3, as "fresh, young talent" is like calling a 2003 Volkswagon Jetta a prime example of exquisite German engineering.

There a reason this guy was just traded for a literal potential of nothing. That reason? He ***** blows.
Reply/Quote
If we needed to take a flier on DE talent with little to no risk, why didn't we bring in Dion Jordan?

Seems like just a body, probably a stretch to even make roster.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 01:40 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Describing a former 5th round pick, who has posted a career 4.5 sacks, has made ZERO starts, and is coming off a 4 tackle season in year 3, as "fresh, young talent" is like calling a 2003 Volkswagon Jetta a prime example of exquisite German engineering.

There a reason this guy was just traded for a literal potential of nothing. That reason? He ***** blows.

But at the moment he doesn't make us better or worse, so who cares.

Reply/Quote
Saw we made a trade and thought "WOW"
Saw who we traded for and thought "WHO?"

Could be that the Bengals have decided to use their top picks on positions other than DE, but it could also be a smokescreen. Hard telling.

Fwiw, the last time we traded for for a Jags player, it was Reggie Nelson. That said, Reggie was a 1st rounder that showed some potential. Can't really say that about this guy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Well it's something. I'm not going to knock them for trying. No guarantee this guy even makes the team. He was cut his rookie year and wasn't picked up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 01:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Saw we made a trade and thought "WOW"
Saw who we traded for and thought "WHO?"

Could be that the Bengals have decided to use their top picks on positions other than DE, but it could also be a smokescreen. Hard telling.

Fwiw, the last time we traded for for a Jags player, it was Reggie Nelson. That said, Reggie was a 1st rounder that showed some potential. Can't really say that about this guy.

I would sincerely hope that a guy with 4.5 career sacks does not influence the draft strategy, but you never can tell...
Reply/Quote
Nah..It was done to give Hobson something to actually write about.  They had already cycled through 3 different pictures on the 'mock on' page. Now we get to read about the greatest trade since the Reds landed the Houston trade that brought Joe Morgan..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 12:34 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Sounds like a rotational piece for the d-line.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/11/bengals-trade-for-jaguars-de-chris-smith/

More production than Hunt, should of have no bearing on the Draft.
Reply/Quote
Putting those 2018 Comp picks to work! Love it. Ninja
Reply/Quote
It's a conditional pick, so unless he makes the team, this is no news. Even so, can't imagine it'll be much more than a 5-7.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 02:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: More production than Hunt, should of have no bearing on the Draft.

Truth. Hunt has one less sack with one more year of NFL experience. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/chris%20-smith?id=2543692

Good insight into what people thought as he was coming out of college.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 01:40 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Describing a former 5th round pick, who has posted a career 4.5 sacks, has made ZERO starts, and is coming off a 4 tackle season in year 3, as "fresh, young talent" is like calling a 2003 Volkswagon Jetta a prime example of exquisite German engineering.

He's talented enough to compete for a rotational spot in the NFL and he's 25... so yeah I'm not sure what there is to refute with calling him young talent. How many players have been signed off of our roster that were two-three year no shows that become contributors elsewhere? Matt Lengel, Cobi Hamilton, Frostee Rucker. Rucker had a whopping total of 3 sacks through his first three years and he actually ended up developing into a pretty decent pro elsewhere.

I have literally no expectations of him, but your point of view is supremely short sited. You have to bring in new guys to keep the team fresh, even if they haven't broken out yet. By your logic teams should never bother bringing in an unproven guy after they've been in the league for three years.

For some reason the Bengals thought it was worth not letting him hit waivers, and decided to trade to ensure they could get a crack at him. Although the pick might be worth nothing in the end, this clearly implies that they think he has potential.
Reply/Quote
The rich get richer.
Reply/Quote
Could be just getting ebenezer used to human trading/trafficking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 01:40 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Describing a former 5th round pick, who has posted a career 4.5 sacks, has made ZERO starts, and is coming off a 4 tackle season in year 3, as "fresh, young talent" is like calling a 2003 Volkswagon Jetta a prime example of exquisite German engineering.

Wallace Gilberry was not even considered good enough to trade for.  We signed him off the street after Tamps Bay released him.

But why wait and see if he turns out any good?  That would be wasting a good chance to whine..
Reply/Quote
I think we use this guy as a rush OLB. Not a bad pickup. He's a pass rusher. Undersized for a DE at 6 foot 1.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Long arms. Very good take-off, burst and closing speed. Wins with quickness and effort. Plays hard with good urgency and runs to the ball. Good finishing speed and hustle in backside pursuit. Gradually improving strength. Likable personality with natural leadership traits. Has a 37-inch vertical jump.

WEAKNESSES Lacks functional playing strength and can be controlled easily when big-bodied blockers get their hands on him (see Alabama). Struggles to split the double team. Not a nuanced pass rusher -- reliant on upfield speed too much. Can do a better job diagnosing the run more quickly and shedding blocks.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 3-4

BOTTOM LINE A weakside pass rusher who could most ideally project to the rush linebacker position in the pros for a 3-4 front, Smith graded more highly as a junior than he did as a senior, yet possesses the tools to earn a starting job in the pros in multiple schemes. Versatility is a plus.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/chris%20-smith?id=2543692
Reply/Quote
Video of him. He was supposed to be a 3rd or 4th Round pick:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000341145/2014-Draft-profile-DE-Chris-Smith-Arkansas
Reply/Quote