Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Trade With Jaguars for DE
Meh, nothing exciting. The guy will either not make the 53 or he'll be the last DL to make it.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Live look into the front office:

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 02:22 PM)grampahol Wrote: Nah..It was done to give Hobson something to actually write about.  They had already cycled through 3 different pictures on the 'mock on' page. Now we get to read about the greatest trade since the Reds landed the Houston trade that brought Joe Morgan..

Don't forget Geronimo and Billingham. Even better than the CP9 trade with the Raiders. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I still think we should've picked up Phillip Glasscock in FA at DE. He was the young talent that we've been looking for all these years. The guy could play hard and knew how to shoot a burst all over his defenders.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 03:41 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Meh, nothing exciting. The guy will either not make the 53 or he'll be the last DL to make it.

Not every signing has to be exciting... This guy could turn out good for us or do nothing and it will have basically cost us nothing to find out.

A depth signing  we give away a 6th or 7th rounder in the 2018 draft (not likely to make it anyways)  So we have a little depth if we cant land the DL talent we want or someone gets hurt before the season.

A Jags fan said he played well in his limited snaps he was given.  So it will be interesting to watch this preseason.

I see people bashing this move but why? he could be another gilberry who was on the street before we picked him up.
Reply/Quote
Maybe he is the next Wallace gilberry
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 04:03 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Not every signing has to be exciting... This guy could turn out good for us or do nothing and it will have basically cost us nothing to find out.

A depth signing  we give away a 6th or 7th rounder in the 2018 draft (not likely to make it anyways)  So we have a little depth if we cant land the DL talent we want or someone gets hurt before the season.

A Jags fan said he played well in his limited snaps he was given.  So it will be interesting to watch this preseason.

I see people bashing this move but why? he could be another gilberry who was on the street before we picked him up.

Cool. Already know this. I'm just no doing backflips over this.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
No impact on the draft besides maybe if we were thinking of going DE in round 6 or 7, we probably don't now
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 04:27 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Maybe he is the next Wallace gilberry

Gilbert actually flashed talent with KC.

PFF had him rated the 2nd best 3-4 DE one year and claimed he'd be better in a 4-3.

I think he had like 7 sacks that year. People just hadn't heard of him, so they thought he was a nobody.

I don't see as much potential in Smith...but who knows?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 03:42 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Live look into the front office:

That moment you realize this team has a playoff win as recently as the Bengals.  Sad
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 12:49 PM)sonofstat Wrote: the last time we traded a conditional pick for a Jags player we got Reggie Nelson....yes, I'm clutching at straws - hopefully this has no bearing whatsoever on our draft approach

The crazy thing is that the pick is in next years draft, not this one.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 12:58 PM)Slythe Wrote: No reason to complain about fresh, young talent. Getting younger on defense is clearly a priority right now. And even though he hasn't blown the league away he has shown he can produce. Hopefully he earns a place in the rotation.

I waited for the best response and this was it...

What talent did he have around him in Jax?  At least he has some speed and explosiveness that we haven't seen out of MJ.  I'm not saying he's going to be a three down starter, but I like what I see as a rotational pass rusher.  

Here is his combine evaluation:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/chris-smith?id=2543692
Reply/Quote
But, he looks like a beast!

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3VsrqPm6bloSYRE_nfSI...eqXRfbkd-Q]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 06:36 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I waited for the best response and this was it...

What talent did he have around him in Jax?  At least he has some speed and explosiveness that we haven't seen out of MJ.  I'm not saying he's going to be a three down starter, but I like what I see as a rotational pass rusher.  

You bring up a fair point about the Jacksonville situation.

Their MO the past 2 years has been going 3 and out for 3 quarters, then Bortles making the stat line look far closer than it really was against a passive zone defense in the 4th quarter.  Being left on the field for most of the first half and getting blown out early doesn't lead to many opportunities to rush the passer, much less chances to be successful at it.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 01:40 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Describing a former 5th round pick, who has posted a career 4.5 sacks, has made ZERO starts, and is coming off a 4 tackle season in year 3, as "fresh, young talent" is like calling a 2003 Volkswagon Jetta a prime example of exquisite German engineering.

There a reason this guy was just traded for a literal potential of nothing. That reason? He ***** blows.

Arguably the Jacksonville DL isn't too shabby these days so a cast off might have something to offer. And 4.5 sacks in his first 3 years where he only played in a little over 1 season's worth of games isn't a bad start. It certainly is an upgrade from Margus Hunt. He's basically another Wallace Gilberry -- rotational and worth 5 sacks a year when he's healthy and doing well. 

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2017, 03:55 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: Arguably the Jacksonville DL isn't too shabby these days so a cast off might have something to offer. And 4.5 sacks in his first 3 years where he only played in a little over 1 season's worth of games isn't a bad start. It certainly is an upgrade from Margus Hunt. He's basically another Wallace Gilberry -- rotational and worth 5 sacks a year when he's healthy and doing well. 

Yup, this is how I'm seeing it as well.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I love defense, whenever the Bengals can make additions to the LB's, DE's, NT's then iam all in. Dominate and crush your enemy.
Reply/Quote
It reminds me more of another 25 year old DE we once got from the Jags. Derrick Harvey.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 06:36 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I waited for the best response and this was it...

Thanks man, good stuff on Chris Smith, great get off and burst, quite the athlete, projected in the 3rd to 4th round.

Led Arkansas in sacks one year...

(04-11-2017, 07:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But, he looks like a beast!

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3VsrqPm6bloSYRE_nfSI...eqXRfbkd-Q]

Looks like the type of End we need to compete actually, has bend unlike MJ and Hunt.

(04-12-2017, 03:55 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: Arguably the Jacksonville DL isn't too shabby these days so a cast off might have something to offer. And 4.5 sacks in his first 3 years where he only played in a little over 1 season's worth of games isn't a bad start. It certainly is an upgrade from Margus Hunt. He's basically another Wallace Gilberry -- rotational and worth 5 sacks a year when he's healthy and doing well. 

Yeah, that isn't a bad start, a younger Gilberry with upside that has better burst, speed and athleticism is what i am seeing.

At first i was like who is this guy? The more i read up on him i think i remember watching him play for the Razorbacks and him impressing.

This shows we are not just going after the tall Ends anymore to me, which is a good sign.

Would love to get a Von Miller type on this team.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 02:55 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Truth. Hunt has one less sack with one more year of NFL experience. 

Lot younger too. Liking the move myself.
Reply/Quote