Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Trade With Jaguars for DE
(04-12-2017, 01:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lot younger too. Liking the move myself.

If they can utilize him well in a niche role, package personnel type of player, then great.  Guenther likes to show 3-4 looks, perhaps they have a specific role for him in mind.  I don't mind the team trying different things.  Heck, with this guys build and athleticism, he should rock some people on 'teams.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2017, 01:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It reminds me more of another 25 year old DE we once got from the Jags. Derrick Harvey.

Ugh. I felt like one of the few who had absolutely no hope for Harvey. The guy was a bust in Jacksonville, but Hobson tried to spin it like he was some sort of answer to take over for Fanene and Rucker. Low and behold, he was cut at the end of camp because he wasn't good.

Shocker.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I'd say they seen Harris at a Pro Day and offered jags an offer. I doubt this move has any impact on the draft...in fact I think it points to them doubling down on pass rushers.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2017, 04:06 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Ugh. I felt like one of the few who had absolutely no hope for Harvey. The guy was a bust in Jacksonville, but Hobson tried to spin it like he was some sort of answer to take over for Fanene and Rucker. Low and behold, he was cut at the end of camp because he wasn't good.

Shocker.

Draft status is one of the few things that isn't similar.

Harvey had 8 sacks in 3 years. Smith had 4.5 sacks in 3 years. Obviously Harvey played more, but not being able to break the Jag's rotation is a concern.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2017, 02:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If they can utilize him well in a niche role, package personnel type of player, then great.  Guenther likes to show 3-4 looks, perhaps they have a specific role for him in mind.  I don't mind the team trying different things.  Heck, with this guys build and athleticism, he should rock some people on 'teams.

Yeah, i am not saying this guy is going to be a star or anything. I just like seeing the team looking at players with a
different build than the usual 6'6" plus guys they have in the past. Size isn't everything, bend, speed and athleticism
play arguably a much bigger role in getting to the QB, being disruptive and stopping the run.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 01:40 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Describing a former 5th round pick, who has posted a career 4.5 sacks, has made ZERO starts, and is coming off a 4 tackle season in year 3, as "fresh, young talent" is like calling a 2003 Volkswagon Jetta a prime example of exquisite German engineering.

There a reason this guy was just traded for a literal potential of nothing. That reason? He ***** blows.
Cool

Sorry for the bump, not trying to gloat (okay, maybe a little), but thought this thread was very amusing to look back on. 
Smith might prove to be a Preseason warrior and nothing more, but I say he's earned the right to be called a "fresh, young talent"
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2017, 10:25 PM)Synric Wrote: I'd say they seen Harris at a Pro Day and offered jags an offer. I doubt this move has any impact on the draft...in fact I think it points to them doubling down on pass rushers.

Harris?...Don't ask me...I was right about the doubling down though lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 03:40 PM)Slythe Wrote: Cool

Sorry for the bump, not trying to gloat (okay, maybe a little), but thought this thread was very amusing to look back on. 
Smith might prove to be a Preseason warrior and nothing more, but I say he's earned the right to be called a "fresh, young talent"

Looking at what happened with Chris Carter a couple years back, I'd say it's a bit early for gloating. I'll be glad if he makes the team though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 03:40 PM)Slythe Wrote: Cool

Dude definately looks much better than Chris Carter. Looks much bigger than i thought as well.

Great pass rush moves. Need to see if he can stop the run though.

But Chris Smith has looked great in the pass rush.
Reply/Quote
I'm glad this is an April thread bumped to the top before regular season.....Glad to see McCarron or LaFell or Hill not traded to Jacksonville or one of the other players fans yak about trading.....I've said that Anthony Munoz very impressed by Smith and Willis, and he should know THE TRENCHES of Blocking and also who is beating the Blocking.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 06:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dude definately looks much better than Chris Carter. Looks much bigger than i thought as well.

Great pass rush moves. Need to see if he can stop the run though.

But Chris Smith has looked great in the pass rush.

Chris Carter had 3.5 sacks that preseason and was the toast of the town.

I like Smith and wouldn't mind if he took MJ's place, but I'm also aware that sometimes the preseason stars don't translate over to the real deal. I'm not saying he'll be bad or good, I'm just saying I won't crown his ass (RIP Denny Green) over a good preseason stretch. I think that's being fair.
Reply/Quote
Orien Harris is rested and ready to go.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 06:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Chris Carter had 3.5 sacks that preseason and was the toast of the town.

I like Smith and wouldn't mind if he took MJ's place, but I'm also aware that sometimes the preseason stars don't translate over to the real deal. I'm not saying he'll be bad or good, I'm just saying I won't crown his ass (RIP Denny Green) over a good preseason stretch. I think that's being fair.

That is completely fair.

How many pressures did Carter have? That is what stands out in Chris Smith's play this Preseason IMHO.

He has consistently got after the QB in different spots as well, unlike just the edge like Carter did.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 07:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Orien Harris is rested and ready to go.

LOL
Reply/Quote
Think Smith adds great rotation. Surprised how well he's doing.

Can we trade with the Jags more? First Reggie Nelson, and now Smith?
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Boy was i wrong. Smith is a player, a great find. Add him, Lawson, dunlap, geno to the pass rush n lets roll. If only the NFL didnt hate Burfict so much.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 07:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is completely fair.

How many pressures did Carter have? That is what stands out in Chris Smith's play this Preseason IMHO.

He has consistently got after the QB in different spots as well, unlike just the edge like Carter did.

I also don't remember Carter getting sacks against number 1's, but may be wrong
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 12:36 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Who?  What?  Why?  Yawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you still Yawning?
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 11:09 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Are you still Yawning?

Yes, I'm tired. And let's see how he does over the coarse of a season. This may prove to be a good move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Everyone looks like a stud in PS, but not everyone carries it through the rest of the season. The good news is he's been in there with the #1s and holding up so far. 
If he keeps it up it'll be a regular coup...if not then just a trade..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote