Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Turned down Jack Del Rio
(02-15-2019, 12:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Or Grantham was already in a really good position at Florida so it would have taken a truly ideal scenario to get him to move. And when he determined it wouldn't be an ideal scenario, he decided to stay where he was at. No shame in that.

I don't think I'll ever be convinced he ever had any intention of taking the job.  He didn't know the roster before he made the trip?  He didn't know his kids didn't want to move?  He didn't know the ownership?  Who wants a guy who could be that ill informed?

It was just a play for more money from Florida.  Like I said before, good luck trying to catch Bama and Georgia.  The current staff there will fail at it and be looking for new jobs in a few years anyway.  He can go kick rocks.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 12:40 PM)McC Wrote: I don't think I'll ever be convinced he ever had any intention of taking the job.  He didn't know the roster before he made the trip?  He didn't know his kids didn't want to move?  He didn't know the ownership?  Who wants a guy who could be that ill informed?

It was just a play for more money from Florida.  Like I said before, good luck trying to catch Bama and Georgia.  The current staff there will fail at it and be looking for new jobs in a few years anyway.  He can go kick rocks.

Yup,

I'd say a lot of fishing for more money goes on by threatening/hinting at leaving.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 12:40 PM)McC Wrote: I don't think I'll ever be convinced he ever had any intention of taking the job.  He didn't know the roster before he made the trip?  He didn't know his kids didn't want to move?  He didn't know the ownership?  Who wants a guy who could be that ill informed?

I actually think he wanted the job but ZT has his mind set on transitioning to a 3-4 defense and JDR doesn't really do that.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 01:30 PM)Okeana Wrote: I actually think he wanted the job but ZT has his mind set on transitioning to a 3-4 defense and JDR doesn't really do that.  

I wqs replying to a post about Grantham.

It does seem well established that JDR did want the job.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:43 AM)Wyche Wrote: At the time, Dennis Allen was not under contract IIRC.  Seems they extended him after the postseason.  Don't hold me to it, but I think that was the case.

I know. I'm just saying it was highly unlikely that the Saints and Allen would part after all the success over the last 2 years.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

(02-15-2019, 01:34 PM)McC Wrote: I wqs replying to a post about Grantham.

It does seem well established that JDR did want the job.

This is true from everything i have heard. I liked Grantham intially cause he liked to play a lot of press man and he liked to play aggressive and blitz a lot but the way he handled all of this i am happy he went back to Floriduh.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 06:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah this needs to be said more often as others have been stating falsely everyone is turning us down.

Not true.

Could be, he was my favorite option but evidently Zac didn't think he fit what he was wanting for some reason.

I am going to trust in the new coach until he fails.

Taylor turned down the best candidate out there. Now he's been turned down by like 6 guys in a row, maybe 7 now that Ohio State's DC turned him down.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 09:54 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor turned down the best candidate out there. Now he's been turned down by like 6 guys in a row, maybe 7 now that Ohio State's DC turned him down.

Other NFL Teams and Players have to be looking at this laughing.
Reply/Quote
Too bad Zac didn't read these forums when he became coach. We have die hard fans listing pros and cons of many different options. Del Rio seemed to check a lot of boxes on the list. At this point, he should go back to Del Rio and offer him 2 million a year to be DC and assistant HC. Then have a big media campaign where he shows a millenial sense of humor by saying "We were just screwing with you all, Del Rio was the man the whole time. We came up with this whole joke over the phone lol!" 
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 01:30 PM)Okeana Wrote: I actually think he wanted the job but ZT has his mind set on transitioning to a 3-4 defense and JDR doesn't really do that.  

Then why did he want Allen and Glenn both are 4-3 guys.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 11:59 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Then why did he want Allen and Glenn both are 4-3 guys.

It almost appears like they're scrambling with no plan.

3-4 guys. 4-3 guys.

They'll take what they can get and hope it works out.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 12:55 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It almost appears like they're scrambling with no plan.

3-4 guys. 4-3 guys.

They'll take what they can get and hope it works out.

True. It looks like we don't even know what system we want to run. If so, that's pretty pathetic.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I've been wondering the last few days,

1st: Would the Bengals even consider at this point to lose face, go back to JDR and see if he's still willing to come aboard?

2nd: Would JDR even consider at this point to take the job still? He'd have to know hes the best option available at this point and could pretty much demand the farm if they were to come back to him now. But would it be enough for him to swallow his pride and take the job now?

At this point I'd rather revisit this well and try at least. Let's be honest its getting late in the game and the pickings are extremely thin. I'm starting to worry that we're gonna end up with some Joe Smoe off the streets that fails terribly bad.
Reply/Quote
So Taylor wasn't comfortable with Del Rio for whatever reason and decided he wasn't a good fit for his staff. Would we really want Taylor to hire a guy that he really doesn't want just because that guy happens to be a fan favorite? 

Whoever Taylor ends up choosing, it needs to someone he wants to work with and who he's comfortable having by his side.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 02:47 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: So Taylor wasn't comfortable with Del Rio for whatever reason and decided he wasn't a good fit for his staff. Would we really want Taylor to hire a guy that he really doesn't want just because that guy happens to be a fan favorite? 

Whoever Taylor ends up choosing, it needs to someone he wants to work with and who he's comfortable having by his side.

I get that, and totally agree.  But at this point it feels like we're just blindly throwing darts at a board and saying lets ask this guy.  I'd hate to see a guy brought in as a project just cause no one else wanted the job.   I'm fully on board with ZT doing this his way and getting the staff he wants to give it a truely ZT effort and all,  but if we're just shooting in the dark at this point to just fill the job then eff that.   Sometimes in life we don't always get things our way.   Sometimes we have to make the best outta what we got.   JDR is out there,  he was willing to come here.  He is one of the best options available.  I don't want him cause I like him,  I want him cause he is a better option then Joe Smoe off the street corner.   Work with that you can get at this point and next off season bring in or go after someone you really want.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 03:01 PM)Goncrazzy Wrote: I get that, and totally agree.  But at this point it feels like we're just blindly throwing darts at a board and saying lets ask this guy.  I'd hate to see a guy brought in as a project just cause no one else wanted the job.   I'm fully on board with ZT doing this his way and getting the the staff he wants to give it a truely ZT effort and all,  but if we're just shooting in the dark at this point to just fill the job then eff that.   Sometimes in life we don't always get things our way.   Sometimes we have to make the best outta what we got.   JDR is out there,  he was willing to come here.  He is one of the best options available.  I don't want him cause I like him,  I want him cause he is a better option then Joe Smoe off the street corner.   Work with that you can get at this point and next off season bring in or go after someone you really want.

It could be the case that Taylor and Del Rio's personalities just didn't mesh. While I would be fine with Del Rio as DC, if Taylor wasn't comfortable with him, then he shouldn't be the guy. Other than talking to the Bengals this year, and maybe the Giants last year...it's not like teams have been beating down Del Rio's door to be their DC. 

Like everyone else, I'll be glad when the search is over and we finally have a guy. I disagree about the whole 'shooting in the dark' idea. I think they going throw possibilities one by one, until they find someone they want and who wants to be here. Maybe they'll have to go through a few more guys to finally get that match, but at some point we'll have a DC...and all I'm concerned with is that whoever it is can produce results on the field. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 02:47 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: So Taylor wasn't comfortable with Del Rio for whatever reason and decided he wasn't a good fit for his staff. Would we really want Taylor to hire a guy that he really doesn't want just because that guy happens to be a fan favorite? 

Yep. It sends the wrong message to the players at this point if they'd now hire DelRio.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 09:54 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor turned down the best candidate out there. Now he's been turned down by like 6 guys in a row, maybe 7 now that Ohio State's DC turned him down.

Not true at all, did you even read the OP Chris?

Bengals turned down these guys, Grantham got a raise from the Gators. This has all been mutual.

Taylor is trying to find the guy that fits and sure, if it is some no name guy that i don't know anything about and has a bad resume i might think we settled and things just didn't play out right. But as of right now we don't know if we are getting Rex Ryan, Elko or Fox. If we get one of these guys all you guys panicking will look like fools. I am honestly sick of the lies on here.

Name one guy that turned us down that wasn't just upped in pay. There is nothing to back this up, we have been blocked and turning coaches down.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 04:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not true at all, did you even read the OP Chris?

Bengals turned down these guys, Grantham got a raise from the Gators. This has all been mutual.

Taylor is trying to find the guy that fits and sure, if it is some no name guy that i don't know anything about and has a bad resume i might think we settled and things just didn't play out right. But as of right now we don't know if we are getting Rex Ryan, Elko or Fox. If we get one of these guys all you guys panicking will look like fools. I am honestly sick of the lies on here.

Name one guy that turned us down that wasn't just upped in pay. There is nothing to back this up, we have been blocked and turning coaches down.

Technically, I think you could say Joseph turned them down. But, he was interviewed for the HC job prior to Taylor, didn't get the job and apparently wasn't interested in just being the DC here. 

Since Taylor was named head coach...

Allen re-signed with Saints.
Mutual interest wasn't there with Del Rio & Capers.
Pleasant reportedly has interview, but no info about it.
Grantham got raise and extension from Florida to return.
Glenn was blocked for interviewing.
Halfey declines because of his commitment to OSU.

So far, only one guy has actually been offered the job.

It's been reported that they have interest in Elko, Nolan and Manuel as well, but so far it doesn't appear they've talked to any of them - or put in a request in Nolan's case.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 04:27 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Technically, I think you could say Joseph turned them down. But, he was interviewed for the HC job prior to Taylor, didn't get the job and apparently wasn't interested in just being the DC here. 

Since Taylor was named head coach...

Allen re-signed with Saints.
Mutual interest wasn't there with Del Rio & Capers.
Pleasant reportedly has interview, but no info about it.
Grantham got raise and extension from Florida to return.
Glenn was blocked for interviewing.
Halfey declines because of his commitment to OSU.

So far, only one guy has actually been offered the job.

It's been reported that they have interest in Elko, Nolan and Manuel as well, but so far it doesn't appear they've talked to any of them.

Thank you for facts Holic, getting sick of the lies on here hating on our new HC...
Reply/Quote