Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals UDFAs Official Thread
Looks like this is the most up to date list thus far:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-undrafted-free-agent-signings

Looks like a WR, RB, CB, OL, and some LB's.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
DT- Tyler Clark Georgia

[Image: usatsi_10520465.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1]

https://ugawire.usatoday.com/2020/04/26/georgia-bulldogs-nfl-draft-tyler-clark-uga-udfa-cincinnati-bengals/
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 03:59 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: DT- Tyler Clark Georgia

[Image: usatsi_10520465.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1]

https://ugawire.usatoday.com/2020/04/26/georgia-bulldogs-nfl-draft-tyler-clark-uga-udfa-cincinnati-bengals/

I like this addition.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
I like the Tyler Clark addition myself.
Reply/Quote
I'm sure there's more to come, but here's how I see the UDFA class so far, in order from best to least, based on some Google research:

Tyler Clark: Was once listed as draftable, probably the headliner as a 3T.

Marcel Spears: Another guy I had at least heard of as draftable. He said on Twitter that he was going to run a sub-4.4 on his pro day that was cancelled. Who knows if that's true, but he's certainly athletic on tape (I watched some), though small. Good signing.

Scotty Washington: Hadn't heard of him but watched some youtube and he's a big dude with a huge catch radius. Listed at 6'5" 225. WRs all have an uphill battle to make it in the league because there are just so many of them though.

Isiah Swann: Hadn't heard of him either but posted intriguing workout numbers at a "virtual" pro day, plus he has good production and he's smart. Fwiw, GBNrepport.com has him listed as their 53rd best CB in the class. That doesn't mean much except that it's higher than some guys I had heard of, like Jaron Bryant and Luq Barcoo (that is more likely GBN's oversight though, but point being Swann isn't exactly nobody).

Kendall Futrell: watched a little youtube and he's basically a 226 lb defensive end who will need to bulk up and transition to SLB. But he did look pretty quick on tape and put up 11 sacks last year.

Josh Knipfel: Also happens to be GBNreport's 53 ranked guard. Ok that doesn't mean anything but worth a flyer. GBN just lists way more prospects than almost any other site, though I think they're guessing frankly.

Trey Dishon: Guess what, also GBNreport's 53rd ranked DT. Almost like the Bengals went to GBNreport.com and said give me their 53rd guy at every position. NT type.

Devway Waley: Yeah kind of uninspiring even by UDFA standards.

Clay Cordasco: I don't see him ranked on any list anywhere and can't find much about him. Maybe just camp invite? (if there is a camp)

Also, about 6 weeks ago if you recall there was a report that we had interest in Sal Cannella, a TE/WR from Auburn who would likely add weight and play TE. I can't find any indication of him having signed anywhere yet (as of 4:20 pm April 26), so he'd be a good pick up.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Mitchell looks like a good grab too
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Wow, I hadn't seen the Wilcox signing, that is indeed a good one. A while back he was consistently listed as draftable.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 05:24 PM)pally Wrote:

I really like this kid. I'm really surprised no one drafted him. He's a great fit. He'll match Burrow in terms of intensity and confidence. He also holds school records for yards and receptions for a tight end, and USF is no minor program. Falls somewhere in the middle with UC, Louisville, etc. 

Also love this Scotty Washington kid. 6'5" with speed and strong hands? Maybe he's this year's Auden Tate. 

Both of these guys have a shot to make the roster. Not gonna say they will, but I think they have a chance. Same with CB from Dartmouth and the OL from Iowa state. I wanna say the Edge/LB from ECU (Futrell) has a shot, but I'm afraid my ECU bias could color things (purple and gold).  ThumbsUp
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 09:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Do we always sign this many UDFA’s? Seems like more than usual.

Are they expanding the practice squad this season or did I imagine that? If so, will be more roles available for developmental prospects than in previous years.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 03:05 PM)phil413 Wrote: If I ever have a wife, I appreciate the recent posts to remember...burried deep in a place she will never look.  Unless she values initial opinions of past undrafted Bengals free agents.

Now you're catching on.. Use this board to bash wives, gf's and any potential female partners who might wonder what you really think in times of dire stress. They'll never think to look here...unless you mention posting here then it'll be constantly monitored. Remember to delete all browsing history and destroy all hard drives. Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 05:55 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: I really like this kid. I'm really surprised no one drafted him. He's a great fit. He'll match Burrow in terms of intensity and confidence. He also holds school records for yards and receptions for a tight end, and USF is no minor program. Falls somewhere in the middle with UC, Louisville, etc. 

Also love this Scotty Washington kid. 6'5" with speed and strong hands? Maybe he's this year's Auden Tate. 

Both of these guys have a shot to make the roster. Not gonna say they will, but I think they have a chance. Same with CB from Dartmouth and the OL from Iowa state. I wanna say the Edge/LB from ECU (Futrell) has a shot, but I'm afraid my ECU bias could color things (purple and gold).  ThumbsUp

He wasn't drafted b/c he ran a very slow 40 yd dash, 4.89 and 4.95. Yikes!

He didn't help himself any by getting hit in the head during the "Gauntlet" hands drill. He just had a horrible combine.

But, he just seems to find ways to get open and catches everything. Plus, like you said, his intensity is off the charts.

I have a feeling he will make the Bengals TE room. If not, at least make the practice squad.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 05:55 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: I really like this kid. I'm really surprised no one drafted him. He's a great fit. He'll match Burrow in terms of intensity and confidence. He also holds school records for yards and receptions for a tight end, and USF is no minor program. Falls somewhere in the middle with UC, Louisville, etc. 

Arrrgh!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 03:13 AM)Whatever Wrote: The skins went into the draft with a big hole at TE and didn't draft one.  Moss has a great chance of making their roster and could potentially win the starting job in TC.  The Bengals have Uzomah on a fairly hefty contract and took Sample in the 2nd last year, so he's got an uphill battle for reps if he makes our roster, at least on paper.  Smart CFA's or the ones with good agents look to sign with teams that are weak at their position groups.  Only dumb ones sign with the hometown team or sign where their buddies were drafted.

Smart CFAs look at Dwayne Haskins sub-60% completion, sub-7.0 YPA, 7 TD/7 INT in 9 games (with 29 sacks and 6 fumbles) and then look at Joe Burrow who he already has a working relationship and chemistry with.

Doesn't matter if you have a chance of starting Year 1 if your QB is no good and only threw for 152 yards/game last year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 07:56 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: He wasn't drafted b/c he ran a very slow 40 yd dash, 4.89 and 4.95. Yikes!

He didn't help himself any by getting hit in the head during the "Gauntlet" hands drill. He just had a horrible combine.

But, he just seems to find ways to get open and catches everything. Plus, like you said, his intensity is off the charts.

I have a feeling he will make the Bengals TE room. If not, at least make the practice squad.

Damn!!! That's what I used to run. Not using that as an excuse for why I didn't get drafted though. LOL. I was a 185 pound lineman for Taylor HS. And I was the biggest one on the team. We sucked.  Hilarious Hilarious
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 07:56 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: He wasn't drafted b/c he ran a very slow 40 yd dash, 4.89 and 4.95. Yikes!

Good to know, been eyeing TE's and I know nothing about this guy Mitchell Wilcox but I like his numbers.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 09:33 PM)tBengal Wrote: Guy looks like Eric Winston

LMAO  Hilarious...He really does.  We should track where Winston was playing when this guy would have been conceived. 
Reply/Quote

Good stuff...In the past I would have strolled right by this thread as I would never have thought any of them had a legitimate shot, being UDFAs.  Not that they didn't have the talent, but that the Bengals (Marv, in my mind) would have always gone with a veteran dud.  Sure, Burfict was a huge UDFA for us and likely the best defensive player we have had in a decade, but even he was sitting on the bench until an injury.  

I really liked how Zac started Michael Jordan and Damien Willis last year.  Sure, they both struggled and Willis ultimately didn't show in the regular season, but he was the best option based on what we saw in the preseason.  Jordan struggled, got injured, but then returned to play very well down the stretch.  If he never played, we would be back at square one if he had simply started a dud like John Jerry as a stop-gap.  Sometimes you just have to take your lumps to improve.  I always use the example of Andrew Whitworth.  He struggled mightily early, as a guard, but worked hard, improved, and now I believe should be in the HOF.  

Maybe there is a diamond in the rough in this group of UDFAs.  Maybe there isn't.  But I know this:  They will get a shot and if they end up being a talent that everyone missed, but the Bengals got and turned in to a productive starter....well, that is huge.  
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 09:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good stuff...In the past I would have strolled right by this thread as I would never have thought any of them had a legitimate shot, being UDFAs.  Not that they didn't have the talent, but that the Bengals (Marv, in my mind) would have always gone with a veteran dud.  Sure, Burfict was a huge UDFA for us and likely the best defensive player we have had in a decade, but even he was sitting on the bench until an injury.  

I really liked how Zac started Michael Jordan and Damien Willis last year.  Sure, they both struggled and Willis ultimately didn't show in the regular season, but he was the best option based on what we saw in the preseason.  Jordan struggled, got injured, but then returned to play very well down the stretch.  If he never played, we would be back at square one if he had simply started a dud like John Jerry as a stop-gap.  Sometimes you just have to take your lumps to improve.  I always use the example of Andrew Whitworth.  He struggled mightily early, as a guard, but worked hard, improved, and now I believe should be in the HOF.  

Maybe there is a diamond in the rough in this group of UDFAs.  Maybe there isn't.  But I know this:  They will get a shot and if they end up being a talent that everyone missed, but the Bengals got and turned in to a productive starter....well, that is huge.  

Yeah, Baby Hawk, Vinny Rey, and Burfict jump to mind when I think of UDFAs who made the team under Marvin over 16 years. Was Tate a Marvin guy? Zac does seem a little more willing to give guys a shot though. I was pulling for Damian Willis last year. He didn't do too much. I have to wonder how much of it was him, and how much it was Andy. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 09:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good stuff...In the past I would have strolled right by this thread as I would never have thought any of them had a legitimate shot, being UDFAs.  Not that they didn't have the talent, but that the Bengals (Marv, in my mind) would have always gone with a veteran dud.  Sure, Burfict was a huge UDFA for us and likely the best defensive player we have had in a decade, but even he was sitting on the bench until an injury.  

[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg....pY2%3D3534]

Reply/Quote