Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals UDFAs
Drew Ott is still available unless I missed it. He would be a nice UDFA pickup to add at DE
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
From what I saw from watching Roger Lewis videos, the Bowling Green QB looked pretty good. Anyone know more about any of the RBs or WRs?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 08:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They really need to get a kicker to replace Nugent.

Not really. We are making play-offs with Nugent and Huber and I can't say either have been why we have lost the play-off games. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Roach was the only UDFA that touched the roster last year wasn't he?
Reply/Quote
Trevon Coley DT Florida Atlantic
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 12:42 AM)kevin Wrote: Not really. We are making play-offs with Nugent and Huber and I can't say either have been why we have lost the play-off games. 

probably the lamest rationale I've ever heard from anyone ever.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 12:42 AM)kevin Wrote: Not really. We are making play-offs with Nugent and Huber and I can't say either have been why we have lost the play-off games. 

I had a feeling we were gonna stick with Nuge and I have absolutely no problem with it. A first rd draft choice kicker that has been pretty damn solid as Bengal. 

They will bring in someone to compete but he's more than likely our guy this upcoming season.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 11:06 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Damn I wanted Garrett, I had a feeling Carolina would get him, they like big WR's. What about the S Cash? I would have rather went Cash and Garrett with the last 2 picks.

Would of could of but yeah.

I still like the Cody Core pick.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 12:58 AM)Stormborn Wrote: probably the lamest rationale I've ever heard from anyone ever.

Then I'll add Nugent has never missed a FG for Bengals inside the 30, and has been very accurate inside the 40 except for 2011 season.....and in 2015 he was 6 for 6 inside 30, 5 for 6 inside 40, 10 of 13 inside 50 and 2 of 3 over 50 yards away......Plus his overtime FG beat Seattle, which was a big win.......also 34 is not old for a kicker.....and to me the idea of wanting to bring in a rookie to replace him is lame. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I don't think an UDFA makes it this year
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 02:57 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I don't think an UDFA makes it this year

UDFAs have a surprisingly high rate of "sticking" in the nfl. I forget the formula, but I remember a good case being made for how UDFAs have the best shot at becoming long term starters outside of 1st rounders.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 08:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They really need to get a kicker to replace Nugent.

I was telling my friend this and he was acting like Nugent is good.  Shocked
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 03:16 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: UDFAs have a surprisingly high rate of "sticking" in the nfl. I forget the formula, but I remember a good case being made for how UDFAs have the best shot at becoming long term starters outside of 1st rounders.

Its because sometimes its better to go undrafted than picked in the 7th even the 6th. The player has the chance to decide which team is weak in depth giving then a better shot at making the team. That is if multiple teams are calling them.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 03:16 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: UDFAs have a surprisingly high rate of "sticking" in the nfl. I forget the formula, but I remember a good case being made for how UDFAs have the best shot at becoming long term starters outside of 1st rounders.

I was talking about on this team. We had some UDFAs close last year. But I don't think any made the opening day roster. There will probably be more UDFAs than draft picks this year league wide, idk what the breakdown is but it sure seems like a good chance there are more undrafted guys than drafted. I haven't broken it down yet. Maybe with Thompson a PUP candidate, Mays and Burfict suspended one has a slim chance. But I thought we were pushing it trying to get 7 draft picks onto the 53 man roster.

That has to be a special formula. I could see something like the UDFA/s that make the 53 man roster at the beginning of the year for every team have a higher success rate than the guys drafted in round 2-7. 2 free agents making the roster for every team would be 64 guys which is probably a high estimate. compared to 2-7 round draft picks for 32 teams which would be 192 plus the 32 comp picks is 224. 6 of the UDFAs become long term starters and they can say 9% of UDFAs became long term starters. Then they can say 6 of the 2-7 round draft picks become long term starters and that is only 2.6%.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 08:07 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: So far:

Matt Johnson, QB, Bowling Green
John Weidenaar , OT, Montana State
Ryan Brown, DE, Miss. State
Darien Harris, LB, Michigan State
Alex Erickson, WR, Wisconsin
Darius Hillary, CB, Wisconsin
Tra Carson, RB, Texas A&M
Alex Cooper, OT, Houston
Antwane Grant, WR, Western Kentucky
David Dean, DT, Virginia
Alonzo Russell, WR, Toledo
Dy'Shawn Mobley, RB, Eastern Kentucky
Antonio Longino, LB, Arizona State

Matt Johnson is a phenomenal QB.  If he were a couple inches taller, he might have been a day 2 selection.  I hope he gets a good shot here and becomes Andy's backup while McCarron becomes a nice, high draft pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 11:27 PM)Shady Wrote: From what I saw from watching Roger Lewis videos, the Bowling Green QB looked pretty good. Anyone know more about any of the RBs or WRs?

I'm a BGSU Alum, and I can tell you that Johnson is a stud.  His only knock is he is only 5'11", but he can read defenses and can sling it.  Reminds me a lot of Drew Brees, but he is more athletic on the hoof.  

Roger Lewis is a talent, but had a sexual assault case pending.  From what I hear, it is bogus, and he will have a number of teams looking to sign him once it clears.  The Bengals are one of those teams that are interested.  
Reply/Quote
Urban Meyer hasn't lost many games at Ohio State, but that Michigan State defense was tough....which makes me hope they take a good look at this LB named Harris from Michigan State. He sure came from a team that was playing some tough defense against Ohio State who was beating everybody else.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 03:16 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote:  I forget the formula, but I remember a good case being made for how UDFAs have the best shot at becoming long term starters outside of 1st rounders.

I don't see how that could be possible.  Maybe they mean each individual round.  That would mean that if a total of 33 UDFAs made a roster somewhere in the league that would be more than the 32 guys taken in the second round.  That might be possible.

But I did see a stats that only 36% of the players in the NFL last year were drafted in the first three rounds.  That means almost 2/3rds of the players are mid-to-late draft picks or UDFAa.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 01:29 AM)kevin Wrote: Then I'll add Nugent has never missed a FG for Bengals inside the 30, and has been very accurate inside the 40 except for 2011 season.....and in 2015 he was 6 for 6 inside 30, 5 for 6 inside 40, 10 of 13 inside 50 and 2 of 3 over 50 yards away......Plus his overtime FG beat Seattle, which was a big win.......also 34 is not old for a kicker.....and to me the idea of wanting to bring in a rookie to replace him is lame. 

Didn't his winning kick bounce off the upright and in? Better lucky than good I guess... And how far was the OT kick he missed against Carolina in 2014?

Not saying I'm against Nugent being our kicker, but he's getting up there in and age we should be seriously looking for his replacement
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 01:29 AM)kevin Wrote: Then I'll add Nugent has never missed a FG for Bengals inside the 30, and has been very accurate inside the 40 except for 2011 season.....and in 2015 he was 6 for 6 inside 30, 5 for 6 inside 40, 10 of 13 inside 50 and 2 of 3 over 50 yards away......Plus his overtime FG beat Seattle, which was a big win.......also 34 is not old for a kicker.....and to me the idea of wanting to bring in a rookie to replace him is lame. 

Nugent's FG% Rankings...

2015: 23rd
2014: 27th
2013: 23rd
2012: 20th
2011: 8th (14/14 FGs of 29 yards or less, aka shorter than 2015 PATs)
2010: 21st

Yes, you read that right, the only time Nugent has been better than 20th in the NFL in FG% was 5 years ago. Even that was mostly due to his 14/14 on FG of 29 yards or less. You might recall 2015 PATs are 32 yards, so literally shorter than PATs now and not even attempting a 50+ all year was the only way he could manage a higher ranking than the 20s.

Repeat after me: Nugent is not a good kicker.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote