Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals UDFAs
I like Matt Johnson,very accurate deep throw I wonder if it can translate to his other throws
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 11:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Matt Johnson is a phenomenal QB.  If he were a couple inches taller, he might have been a day 2 selection.  I hope he gets a good shot here and becomes Andy's backup while McCarron becomes a nice, high draft pick.

Agreed, watched many of their games over the last few years, as my wife is a BGSU alum. He's the real deal. Could easily become our next backup. He will learn the system quickly. Great leadership qualities, extremely accurate with the deep ball. Could give us the flexibility to acquire draft picks for McCarron in the future
Reply/Quote
They haven't signed him yet, but I think Travis Wilson will turn his try out into a PS spot.
Reply/Quote
Didn't see Frankie Williams mentioned at all, but he signed with the Bengals yesterday as a UDFA.
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/5/1/11549662/bengals-sign-udfa-frankie-williams-cb-purdue

Frankie Williams is short but is very fluid and has ball skills. CJ mentions that due to his height, he actually may get work as a safety. He also is an accomplished punt returner, which should help his chances to make the roster.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Don't sleep on Alonzo Russell from Toledo. This guy is an absolute freak who I see making the 53 man roster.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 11:02 AM)Thundercat34 Wrote: Don't sleep on Alonzo Russell from Toledo. This guy is an absolute freak who I see making the 53 man roster.

He could make the PS this year, won't be seeing the 53 unless we have a couple of injuries to WR's
Reply/Quote
I would like to see these guys brought in:
Mike Matthews- c- Texas A&M
Dj Hunter- s- Marshall
Crevan Leblanc- cb- Fau
Kris Frost- lb- auburn
Terrance smith- lb- Florida st
Brien Boddy-Calhoun- cb- Minnesota
Drew Ott- de- Iowa
Last 2 with some character concerns:
Duke Williams- Wr- auburn
Shawn Oakman- De- baylor
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 11:23 AM)bengalsdh Wrote: I would like to see these guys brought in:
Mike Matthews- c- Texas A&M  - CLEVELAND
Dj Hunter- s- Marshall
Crevan Leblanc- cb- Fau  - NEW ENGLAND
Kris Frost- lb- auburn  - Camp invite NEW ENGLAND
Terrance smith- lb- Florida st  - KANSAS CITY
Brien Boddy-Calhoun- cb- Minnesota   - JACKSONVILLE
Drew Ott- de- Iowa  
Shawn Oakman- De- baylor

updated the list for you.

go here next time: :)

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2016-nfl-undrafted-free-agents
Reply/Quote
[quote='leonardfan40' pid='213208' dateline='1462198822']

He could make the PS this year, won't be seeing the 53 unless we have a couple of injuries to WR's

Ok, I see AJ, Lafell, Boyd, and maybe Alford as locks. They will keep at least 5Wr's maybe 6 and I truly feel he could be one of the remaining two. Who are your 6 that make it?
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 11:33 AM)Thundercat34 Wrote: Ok, I see AJ, Lafell, Boyd, and maybe Alford as locks. They will keep at least 5Wr's maybe 6 and I truly feel he could be one of the remaining two. Who are your 6 that make it?
They'll likely keep 6. The 4 you listed, that leaves 2 spots. Then Russell will have a minimum of Tate (who has stuck around forever so no one should expect anything different until we see it), wright, core, and Kumerow to have to beat out. It's just not happening. He should have a decent shot at the PS for a year and then maybe the 53 next year like Kumerow.
If he does make the PS tho he could see the roster at some point due to injury tho 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 11:31 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: updated the list for you.

go here next time: :)

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2016-nfl-undrafted-free-agents

Damn ok. I just looked at the updated Udfa page on nfl.com.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 11:23 AM)bengalsdh Wrote: I would like to see these guys brought in:
Mike Matthews- c- Texas A&M
Dj Hunter- s- Marshall
Crevan Leblanc- cb- Fau
Kris Frost- lb- auburn
Terrance smith- lb- Florida st
Brien Boddy-Calhoun- cb- Minnesota
Drew Ott- de- Iowa
Shawn Oakman- De- Baylor

Dude Oakman is under investigation for sexual assault. He shouldn't be touched by any team until what ever hes going through is over. That's a best case scenario.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 11:51 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Dude Oakman is under investigation for sexual assault. He shouldn't be touched by any team until what ever hes going through is over. That's a best case scenario.

I realize that. Here's my take on it though... Say we sign him now for little to nothing and his charges get dropped and he eventually ends up producing. We would have a steal. It worked out pretty well for lael Collins and Burfict. Their stuff wasn't as serious I know. Or his charges could stick and we could just cut him. How much are we really out if the second situation happens?
Reply/Quote
I'm glad we got Tra Carson. I think he can be our PS development RB.

Here's his CBS write up:

Quote:STRENGTHS: Powerfully-built with proportionate body mass. Physical mentality, squaring his shoulders and running behind his pads. Sturdy contact strength to deliver blows and knock would-be tacklers on their heels. Gear-grinding finisher when he churns his legs through contact, crawling for every inch. Runs with purpose and tough to slow down once he gets going north-south downhill.

Fluid lateral footwork to make strong cuts without losing momentum, bursting off his plant foot. Holds the ball high and tight, protecting it with both arms. Active as a pass-catcher with reliable hands. Waited his turn to be the starter and responded with a career-year in 2015, finishing fifth-best in the SEC in rushing.

WEAKNESSES:
Carrying a lot of weight, not all of it good weight. Taller runner and doesn't consistently finish with forward lean. Bad habit of stopping his feet at contact, allowing defenders to take their shot. Slows after contact and takes too long to reach top speed after gearing down.
Needs to put more thought into his moves, relying too much on jump cuts. Doesn't exhibit much elusiveness or make-you-miss to his run style. Tunnel vision and needs to better trust the blocking design, especially on screens in space. Inconsistent in pass protection due to poor technique.

IN OUR VIEW: Carson won't make defenders miss. He is a banger between the tackles with a contact-driven mentality, making him a chore for defenders to finish off (Sumlin: "He's a workhorse...can do everything for us and he's a leader").
He is a reliable pass-catcher, but needs to improve his focus and fundamentals as a blocker to earn a roster spot, likely in a third down role.
Dane Brugler (2/21/16)
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 11:02 AM)Thundercat34 Wrote: Don't sleep on Alonzo Russell from Toledo. This guy is an absolute freak who I see making the 53 man roster.

He kinda looks like Chris Henry.

Out of all the UDFAs I have seen I like his chances. WR has a couple spots up for grabs. I definitely wouldn't be mad if he claimed one of those spots.
Reply/Quote
Any word on Laquan McGowan. I haven't seen him signed anywhere. We need to get the big fella.
Reply/Quote
Matt Johnson is a very good QB.

He will stick on an NFL roster somewhere.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 04:27 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: That has to be a special formula. I could see something like the UDFA/s that make the 53 man roster at the beginning of the year for every team have a higher success rate than the guys drafted in round 2-7. 2 free agents making the roster for every team would be 64 guys which is probably a high estimate. compared to 2-7 round draft picks for 32 teams which would be 192 plus the 32 comp picks is 224. 6 of the UDFAs become long term starters and they can say 9% of UDFAs became long term starters. Then they can say 6 of the 2-7 round draft picks become long term starters and that is only 2.6%.

Ok, I found this article and it explains how draft position correlated with "starter" status in 2014. It found that outside of 1st and 2nd rounders, UDFAs made up the highest percentage of starters in 2014. That probably has a lot to do with the fact that a typical team only picks up one player in rounds 3-7 while picking up several UDFAs per draft. It seems to have more to do with their sheer numbers rather than having a better chance than a late round pick.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2015/05/22/tracking-nfl-draft-efficiency-how-contingent-is-success-to-draft-position/#1ecd1a5928ea

That being said, in a climate where players like Burfict can go undrafted, I'm willing to believe that amazing things can happen with any given player.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2016, 06:07 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: He kinda looks like Chris Henry.

Out of all the UDFAs I have seen I like his chances. WR has a couple spots up for grabs. I definitely wouldn't be mad if he claimed one of those spots.

Didn't we just draft that guy, Cody Core?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 12:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't see how that could be possible.  Maybe they mean each individual round.  That would mean that if a total of 33 UDFAs made a roster somewhere in the league that would be more than the 32 guys taken in the second round.  That might be possible.

But I did see a stats that only 36% of the players in the NFL last year were drafted in the first three rounds.  That means almost 2/3rds of the players are mid-to-late draft picks or UDFAa.

How much of that is due to money?  In my opinion, more and more often, players with a higher degree of potential are finding themselves out of the league sooner than later.  Part of it may be the immediate expectations of high output.  As these players reach the end of their rookie deals, players that were drafted later, or even signed as UDFA are finding themselves developed and ready to assume starting roles, for much lower pay rates that players drafted in the top three rounds.

The combination of Salary Cap and CBA puts a tremendous amount of pressure on higher round draft picks to produce immediately, or face termination for a cheaper player that has had the time to develop at a lower pay grade.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote