Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals brilliant in taking Kicker Elliot over Gonzalez
They clearly placed an enormous wager on which kicker would be drafted first when it should have been Gonzalez and then won enough money to build a new stadium! 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 03:57 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: They clearly placed an enormous wager on which kicker would be drafted first when it should have been Gonzalez and then won enough money to build a new stadium! 

So is Elliott decent? I only knew about Gonzalez before the draft.
Reply/Quote
It's sad because we could have used/traded that pick for a true contributor. There's a high chance that NO ONE would have drafted him. He could have competed for basically free as an undrafted free agent.

My crystal ball tells me Bullock wins the kicking competition for next season. He did well for us, only missing the one kick that we later found out was due to a poorly communicated timing-change for the delayed snap count.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 03:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So is Elliott decent? I only knew about Gonzalez before the draft.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3050478/type/college/jake-elliott

you tell me!
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:02 PM)BoBengal Wrote: It's sad because we could have used/traded that pick for a true contributor.  There's a high chance that NO ONE would have drafted him.  He could have competed for basically free as an undrafted free agent.

My crystal ball tells me Bullock wins the kicking competition for next season.  He did well for us, only missing the one kick that we later found out was due to a poorly communicated timing-change for the delayed snap count.

The research I did on Elliot showed me that he was a solid kicker in a similar climate.  He had a terrible sophomore season, but got it worked out.  He is, however, incredibly small.  Not even 5' 9" and not 180 lbs.  I fear him being in pieces the first time he is involved in a tackle.

I was kind of rooting for Gonzalez, as he has OCD (as do I) and he is a bigger guy with a much deeper kickoff and hang time. 

Scratching my head a bit at this one, but maybe they liked something about Elliot.  Can't be his tiny size. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:03 PM)pulses Wrote: http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3050478/type/college/jake-elliott

you tell me!

(04-29-2017, 04:09 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The research I did on Elliot showed me that he was a solid kicker in a similar climate.  He had a terrible sophomore season, but got it worked out.  He is, however, incredibly small.  Not even 5' 9" and not 180 lbs.  I fear him being in pieces the first time he is involved in a tackle.

I was kind of rooting for Gonzalez, as he has OCD (as do I) and he is a bigger guy with a much deeper kickoff and hang time. 

Scratching my head a bit at this one, but maybe they liked something about Elliot.  Can't be his tiny size. 

Hmmm, gotta trust Simmons i guess. You would think we would of got a Kicker with a bigger leg with more talent
if they wanted to use a pick on a Kicker. Sounds like our only bad pick so far. Bullock likes it though lol
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hmmm, gotta trust Simmons i guess. You would think we would of got a Kicker with a bigger leg with more talent
if they wanted to use a pick on a Kicker. Sounds like our only bad pick so far. Bullock likes it though lol

bigger leg?  Elliot hit from 55 i would say thats not a weak leg.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:17 PM)pulses Wrote: bigger leg?  Elliot hit from 55 i would say thats not a weak leg.

His kickoffs are very weak.  If you watched the game when he made the long FG-- he had about a 20 mph wind at his back.  

Anything outside of 44-45 yards will be "iffy at best" for him.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hmmm, gotta trust Simmons i guess. You would think we would of got a Kicker with a bigger leg with more talent

Agreed.  Maybe there was something about Gonzalez they didn't like...who knows.  I trust their judgment. 
Reply/Quote
Whether this guy is a good kicker or not...we could have likely drafted him in the 7th Round.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:17 PM)pulses Wrote: bigger leg?  Elliot hit from 55 i would say thats not a weak leg.

Thanks man, knew nothing about the guy. Just heard he was 202/202 on extra points in college with 78% conversion on FG's.

Looks like with the goal posts being moved in Simmons didn't want to miss those extra points anymore. I like the pick now.
Reply/Quote
Gonzales was the highest-rated kicking prospect since Janikowski.

As a senior, he made seven of nine field goals from more than 50 yards and he booted touchbacks on 75.3 percent of his kickoffs in his last two seasons.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks man, knew nothing about the guy. Just heard he was 202/202 on extra points in college with 78% conversion on FG's.

Looks like with the goal posts being moved in Simmons didn't want to miss those extra points anymore. I like the pick now.

That's just it though...college is the short extra point still.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Gonzales was the highest-rated kicking prospect since Janikowski.

As a senior, he made seven of nine field goals from more than 50 yards and he booted touchbacks on 75.3 percent of his kickoffs in his last two seasons.

You don't want touch backs now with the ball moved out to te 25 for touchbacks. you want to place it on the one yard line and cover.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks man, knew nothing about the guy. Just heard he was 202/202 on extra points in college with 78% conversion on FG's.

You do realize that college extra points are on goal posts that are 6-8' wider?  And, that they kick from ~25 yards closer than the NFL now (after the NFL moved the PATs back to be equivalent to a 34-yard FG)?

Those extra point statistics are not a relevant comparison.  
Reply/Quote
Wish we had Asiata over Elliot though.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:26 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Wish we had Asiata over Elliot though.

Yep. IF we wanted this guy...we could have got him in the 6th or 7th Round and taken other contributors.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. IF we wanted this guy...we could have got him in the 6th or 7th Round and taken other contributors.

Because te 4th round guard we took last year who was a much better prospect has contributed so much right? 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:25 PM)BoBengal Wrote: You do realize that college extra points are on goal posts that are 6-8' wider?  And, that they kick from ~25 yards closer than the NFL now (after the NFL moved the PATs back to be equivalent to a 34-yard FG)?

Those extra point statistics are not a relevant comparison.  

Of course. But this guy was more accurate than Gonzalez and has a big leg to boot.

I trust Simmons.

This was the 2nd best Kicker according to most and we might of been able to have him later but we don't know that for sure.

Maybe Simmons liked his nerves better than Zane, need nerves of steal to be a good kicker in the NFL as we all know.

Like the pick.
Reply/Quote
Gonzalez has OCD. While you may think that is good for a K, if other teams figure out how to get him off his routine, his accuracy will likely suffer.
Reply/Quote