Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals bringing Greg Little in for a Try out
We needed to draft a WR. This is getting bad already.
Reply/Quote
Little fits our free agency model. We already know he won't help when/if we need him, but he'll likely get signed anyway.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 06:15 PM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: He worked out with the Jets Yesterday.
He does know the play book a bit...

I really hope they at least call Reggie Wayne.

Truth is they may have called but Wayne turned them down because of playing Time.

AJ, MJ, Sanu - When does Wayne get on the field?

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/7/28/9061255/bengals-hosting-greg-little-for-workout-per-report

why Why WHY!?!?!?  he can't catch the friggin ball.  Camp fodder is what I'd say.
Reply/Quote
I am not sure where the freaking out comes from, or the Sanu is garbage narrative for that matter. What team has a high quality WR at #4? People act like a lot of teams have legit WRs all the way down to their 4th spot, they don't. Sanu is not a #1 and has never been projected as a #1, but the idea he is bad after being forced to be the #1 last year for a lot of the season is a joke. Sanu had some bad games, but it doesn't make him a bad #3. I'd argue he is actually one of the better #3 WRs in the NFL.

Would we like to keep adding depth at WR? Sure, but people acting like we have nothing at WR are just doom and gloom for the sake of it. We had injures last year they happen, no team is going to lose their #1WR, #2WR, #1bTE, #1aTE (For a bit) and still have a good receiving group.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 11:36 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: The oldest WR on the Bengals roster is Brandon Tate at (I think) 26 years old.  Wayne is not a diva and could help lend quality depth.  He may not be a burner but he knows how to set people up and get open.  I would definitely look at him, especially with one receiver already lost for the season. 

I certainly agree. He definitely would be beneficial, if not on the field, then as a mentor. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a lot of action either though.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 02:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We still have Green, Jones, Samu, and Moore.  That is a pretty solid top 4.

I'd rather have Red Green, Forgetful Jones, Shamu, and Roger Moore.  Nah, I kid.  But haven't we heard Moore is looking not so awesome in camp or have I been misinformed?  Please don't tell me I have not been misinformed.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 09:45 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd rather have Red Green, Forgetful Jones, Shamu, and Roger Moore.  Nah, I kid.  But haven't we heard Moore is looking not so awesome in camp or have I been misinformed?  Please don't tell me I have not been misinformed.

Misinformed, I haven't seen anything much at all about him.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 10:01 AM)Au165 Wrote: Misinformed, I haven't seen anything much at all about him.

" Moore has to have a better summer than spring and Hamilton has to reverse last year’s disastrous preseason if those two guys are to get any kind of a roster sniff. "

Per Geoff Hobson, "Bubbling up"   - posted July 23, 2015
Reply/Quote
[Image: 47924769f1744aac5c3e3f48df4d2f68.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
"For a try-out"
means
"we need someone to run routes for AJ while we work on a deal"
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 01:43 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: "For a try-out"
means
"we need someone to run routes for AJ while we work on a deal"

Let's hope.
Reply/Quote
This past draft is just tough for me to digest. It's not even training camp and we're worrying about WR depth.

I get the strategy of drafting the 2 tackles to offset the possibility of paying out 2 huge contracts to vets next year, but what was the cost of this kind of thinking on the field in 2015? You've got you're 1 and 2 draft picks that won't have major roles if all goes well. One probably won't see the field until late November, if at all in 2015.

Meanwhile, you're a team with hopes of making noise in the postseason that passed up opportunities to draft players that could help this season if need be. 1st round wry that contribute in year one aren't nearly as rare as they once were. The team also has all 3 of it's top wrs up for FA next season, just like at OT.

It's going to sting if this team ends up in another 2014 injury situation at the offensive skill spots and we are subjected to the Greg Littles and Coby Hamiltons of the world trying to carry any hope of an effective offense in the playoffs while Cedric is sitting on the sidelines waiting for 2016 to get here. Just zero urgency in this organization.
Reply/Quote
Would folks just stop? We are looking to replace James Freaking Wright. Dude had 5 catches last year. There was talk of ST ace; however, he was never noticable there. Our CBs (Dre, Dennard) were our gunners and Wright didn't do returns or excel at making tackles. We have a ton of folks on the roster that can do what Wright can on STs. 

Little has suspect hands but he has amazing raw talent. If we can work on his concentration this Training Camp we could have a hidden gem. Let's give him a chance. Why do we freak out over out #4 WR position?  We have plenty folks on this team that can catch the ball.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
This just boggles my mind. He couldn't even get on the field when everyone was hurt.
Reply/Quote
Just stop yourself on this one bfine. Has all of the tools no doubt but still has the exact same question marks that he had going into the draft nearly 6 years ago or so. Hasn't added a single positive since coming out of NC. I have nothing against the kid but he hasn't shown a single bit of growth since his college days.
I'm not particularly over concerned with the loss of Wright but you are just being contrary because that's your MO. That same skill set that hasn't progressed even after several years of NFL level coaching.
Raw talent coming out but lacks focus,suspect hands because of lack of focus. Nothing has seemed to change thus far with Little.
B.Lloyd and James Jones would both be better fits. Sure, if he plays up to his so called potential it's a savy move but no one has had a glimpse of that since his college days.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 01:26 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Just stop yourself on this one bfine. Has all of the tools no doubt but still has the exact same question marks that he had going into the draft nearly 6 years ago or so. Hasn't added a single positive since coming out of NC. I have nothing against the kid but he hasn't shown a single bit of growth since his college days.
I'm not particularly over concerned with the loss of Wright but you are just being contrary because that's your MO. That same skill set that hasn't progressed even after several years of NFL level coaching.
Raw talent coming out but lacks focus,suspect hands because of lack of focus. Nothing has seemed to change thus far with Little.
B.Lloyd and James Jones would both be better fits. Sure, if he plays up to his so called potential it's a savy move but no one has had a glimpse of that since his college days.

Greg Little has been in the league only 1 more year than Sanu or Jones. Yet he has 42 more catches and 500 more yards than Sanu. He also has 92 more catches and 1000 more yards than Marvin Jones. But it’s Greg Little that hasn’t shown anything since coming in the league?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 03:50 PM)samhain Wrote: This past draft is just tough for me to digest.  It's not even training camp and we're worrying about WR depth.  

I get the strategy of drafting the 2 tackles to offset the possibility of paying out 2 huge contracts to vets next year, but what was the cost of this kind of thinking on the field in 2015?  You've got you're 1 and 2 draft picks that won't have major roles if all goes well.  One probably won't see the field until late November, if at all in 2015.

Meanwhile, you're a team with hopes of making noise in the postseason that passed up opportunities to draft players that could help this season if need be.  1st round wry that contribute in year one aren't nearly as rare as they once were.  The team also has all 3 of it's top wrs up for FA next season, just like at OT.  

It's going to sting if this team ends up in another 2014 injury situation at the offensive skill spots and we are subjected to the Greg Littles and Coby Hamiltons of the world trying to carry any hope of an effective offense in the playoffs while Cedric is sitting on the sidelines waiting for 2016 to get here.  Just zero urgency in this organization.

Back ups are back ups.

We are just as likely to have an OT injured as we are to have a WR injured.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 10:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We are just as likely to have an OT injured as we are to have a WR injured.

Good luck explaining that to some people around here.

There's just no reason to take a WR highly in the draft for the reasoning that one guy may, possibly, sort of, potentially get injured.

People want to complain about our WR depth, but what did our T, TE, LB, and S depth look like pre-draft?? Seems awfully strange that 7 of our 9 picks went to those positions. Maybe, just MAYBE our depth there was worse than WR.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 11:45 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Good luck explaining that to some people around here.

There's just no reason to take a WR highly in the draft for the reasoning that one guy may, possibly, sort of, potentially get injured.

People want to complain about our WR depth, but what did our T, TE, LB, and S depth look like pre-draft?? Seems awfully strange that 7 of our 9 picks went to those positions. Maybe, just MAYBE our depth there was worse than WR.

Meh. The tackle depth pretty bad, but drafting 1 tackle high would've solved that. Drafting Ogbuehi didn't help T depth at all because he's starting on the PUP.

I know some people like to rationalize team decisions, but our draft this year made it seem as if we have no immediate needs. There was no urgency in FA or the draft.

If this team were coming off a Super Bowl win, I'd understand. But you'd think a team coming off of a historic run of playoff ineptitude would show a little more urgency to find players that may make an impact or become an x-factor. Especially after this statement from Marv back in January:

Quote:"Oh yeah, (Mike Brown) is the one leading the charge," Lewis said last month. "He doesn't want to hear, 'We will be better when we get these guys back.' No, we need to get better. He knows we need to get better. He's pushing people to identify players that will make us a better football team in free agency."

"It's a different feel than where we have been," Lewis said. "It's not a status quo. There has not been a status quo conversation or 'Oh, we'll be OK, we'll just get these guys back.' No, no, no, that's bull. We got to be better."

I think our WR depth has been as bad as any position on the team. This seemed clear to me after MLJ and AJ went down and we were trying to plug in Greg Little off the street. I thought Denarius Moore would help, but I haven't heard anything good on him yet. With what happened last year combined with the fact that our top 3 WR's are due to become FA's, you'd think they would've addressed the position a little more seriously.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 12:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Meh. The tackle depth pretty bad, but drafting 1 tackle high would've solved that. Drafting Ogbuehi didn't help T depth at all because he's starting on the PUP.

I know some people like to rationalize team decisions, but our draft this year made it seem as if we have no immediate needs. There was no urgency in FA or the draft.

If this team were coming off a Super Bowl win, I'd understand. But you'd think a team coming off of a historic run of playoff ineptitude would show a little more urgency to find players that may make an impact or become an x-factor. Especially after this statement from Marv back in January:

I think our WR depth has been as bad as any position on the team. This seemed clear to me after MLJ and AJ went down and we were trying to plug in Greg Little off the street. I thought Denarius Moore would help, but I haven't heard anything good on him yet. With what happened last year combined with the fact that our top 3 WR's are due to become FA's, you'd think they would've addressed the position a little more seriously.

I'd like to see more urgency in FA (hence me screaming for a vet WR in free agency every offseason for the last 4), but I didn't think it was the year to take one higher in the draft.

WRs are coming out NFL ready, we can get one next year if it's a need. A.J., Jones, Sanu, Moore, Eifert, Kroft, Bernard, and Hill are plenty good enough to catch passes from Andy this season. I wouldn't complain one bit if they start the year by trading a future pick for a vet WR, or if they'd have taken a WR highly in the draft or gone after someone great in free agency. BUT, when it's all said and done, I won't complain about lack of WR in the draft now because I think we're set just fine, but sure, this offseason could have been much better, I can't disagree with that notion.
Reply/Quote