Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals claim Max Scharping Off Waivers
(08-31-2022, 03:09 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: started 33 games in his 4 years.. that is more starts than probably all are backups combined

right might take a few weeks to get this scheme down.   But will see who starts 9/11

If he can play multiple spots he becomes our best backup too
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 03:04 PM)Nepa Wrote: Great! And waiver claims ended at noon so this is settled then. 

Maybe won't start, since he will be brand new to the system, and according to the article you posted he went back and forth between starting and being on the bench, but still this is comforting.

Wait, starting? Scharping was passed over by 30 teams before the Bengals took him.
He would be on our ***** list real quick if he had to start.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 03:52 PM)Joelist Wrote: Scharping's career so far seems pretty average-ish:

2020 PFF Overall 52.1 Pass 60.7 Run 48.6

2021 PFF Overall 59.9 Pass 53.8. Run 60.4

2022 Preseason PFF Overall 65.4 Pass 76.7 Run 59.6

I'm not a PFF fan but the stats are what they are. He got 70 snaps this preseason BTW.

After seeing both Volson and Carman pass blocking this preseason, Scharping is an upgrade in that department.
Both Volson and Carman might be (somewhat) better in the run game though.

This offense lives and dies with Joe Burrow, so keeping him upright is Priority #1, IMO.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
At least his grades generally seemed improve year to year. I think this was a good pick up considering where we were in the order. I think all their pickups have been decent. tufele should provide decent rotational depth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 04:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: After seeing both Volson and Carman pass blocking this preseason, Scharping is an upgrade in that department.
Both Volson and Carman might be (somewhat) better in the run game though.

This offense lives and dies with Joe Burrow, so keeping him upright is Priority #1, IMO.

How many total pressures did Volson give up in 2 preseason games? 4 or 5? (I know it was 3 pressure 1 sack vs the Giants).
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 04:31 PM)Synric Wrote: How many total pressures did Volson give up in 2 preseason games? 4 or 5? (I know it was 3 pressure 1 sack vs the Giants).

3 pressures total in 101 preseason snaps.

Scharping, by comparison, only had 1 total pressure. He played 70 snaps.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 04:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 3 pressures total in 101 preseason snaps.

Scharping, by comparison, only had 1 total pressure. He played 70 snaps.

Yea and one pressure and the sack was a failed DB blitz pickup.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 04:45 PM)Synric Wrote: Yea and one pressure and the sack was a failed DB blitz pickup.

I guess that doesnt count
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 04:45 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I guess that doesnt count

It's tough there to know in some of those situations if the back or potentially someone else blew that assignment. Blitzers are tricky because there are SO many checks that can be made for how you want things blocked.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 04:45 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I guess that doesnt count

Mental mistake made not only by who the sack was counted against by the C and QB setting the protection. 

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 04:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: It's tough there to know in some of those situations if the back or potentially someone else blew that assignment. Blitzers are tricky because there are SO many checks that can be made for how you want things blocked.

(08-31-2022, 04:49 PM)Synric Wrote: Mental mistake made not only by who the sack was counted against by the C and QB setting the protection. 

I'm not going to make an assumption y'all are trying to say Volson actually performed better than his pressures indicated.
But I did get to watch that Preseason Game 2 and his limited athleticism was evident that he could struggle blocking defenders if having to cover a bigger area than a phonebooth.

I do want to point out too that Scharping has better athleticism than Volson.
And Scharping has not allowed more than 3 sacks in a season before.
Only 6 sacks across over 2000 offensive snaps in the regular season is pretty solid.

Could Volson be as good or better? He might.
But wouldn't people feel more comfortable with someone with experience like Scharping over the gamble that is Volson?
At least for the first part of the season while Volson still continues to grow?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
This feels like it could be a Spain type of move. Adding a guy others past on and he comes in with a chip on his shoulder and holds down a spot. Not flashy, not all pro but a solid guy you can count on.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 04:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not going to make an assumption y'all are trying to say Volson actually performed better than his pressures indicated.
But I did get to watch that Preseason Game 2 and his limited athleticism was evident that he could struggle blocking defenders if having to cover a bigger area than a phonebooth.

I do want to point out too that Scharping has better athleticism than Volson.
And Scharping has not allowed more than 3 sacks in a season before.
Only 6 sacks across over 2000 offensive snaps in the regular season is pretty solid.

Could Volson be as good or better? He might.
But wouldn't people feel more comfortable with someone with experience like Scharping over the gamble that is Volson?
At least for the first part of the season while Volson still continues to grow?

Let a high level NFL and vet center call the protections and check out of plays before we worry too much is what I'd say.

I feel like I have explained this before but they are going to let their drafted players attempt to man the spot. If the quality is even remotely close between say Volson and Scharping they will go with Volson for experience and  contract reasons. You learn to play OL in this league by playing in real games. We have to play guys to develop them and that is what they will do here unless it gets really bad, which the odds of that happening if all else on the line are healthy are probably slim.

Outside of week 1, we don't really see a an interior defender until the back half of the year. He will get plenty of reps to know what we have by that point.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 05:00 PM)Au165 Wrote: Let a high level NFL and vet center call the protections and check out of plays before we worry too much is what I'd say.

I feel like I have explained this before but they are going to let their drafted players attempt to man the spot. If the quality is even remotely close between say Volson and Scharping they will go with Volson for experience and  contract reasons. You learn to play OL in this league by playing in real games. We have to play guys to develop them and that is what they will do here unless it gets really bad, which the odds of that happening if all else on the line are healthy are probably slim.

Outside of week 1, we don't really see a an interior defender until the back half of the year. He will get plenty of reps to know what we have by that point.

If that's the case, I hope it works out as you say.
I just don't like that gamble, especially after seeing that gamble with Mike Johnson two years ago.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Also when we say "pressures" who is doing the counting? I suspect the coaches do not define pressure the same way sports writers or people on the internet do.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 05:00 PM)Au165 Wrote: Let a high level NFL and vet center call the protections and check out of plays before we worry too much is what I'd say.

Thank you! I've been trying to say this, let the young man develop. It's going to help with Jonah and Ted beside him. Will he make mistakes, yes.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 04:26 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Wait, starting?  Scharping was passed over by  30 teams before the Bengals took him.
He would be on our ***** list real quick if he had to start.

True, but all the other teams have all pros for back ups.... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 05:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If that's the case, I hope it works out as you say.
I just don't like that gamble, especially after seeing that gamble with Mike Johnson two years ago.

Where the line is, and Burrow for that matter, is a long ways away from then. I always say you can hide one weakness on an Oline you can't hide 2+ and we had at least 2 that year and for most the year 3+.

Random fact, Jordan actually got 10 starts in Carolina last year and is their projected starter this year.
Reply/Quote
Another smart, quality addition. Love it.

Such an incredible feeling to watch this franchise make smart, shrewd moves with winning as the objective - not “aligning payroll to resources.”
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 05:04 PM)Joelist Wrote: Also when we say "pressures" who is doing the counting? I suspect the coaches do not define pressure the same way sports writers or people on the internet do.

There is no universal definition of pressures. PFR, PFF and O-Line Stats will all have different pressure measurements. And then the coaches will have different measurements still. So, yeah, coaches aren't defining it the same way, but no one is. 
Reply/Quote