Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals claim Max Scharping Off Waivers
Sound pickup in a spot of need.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 03:52 PM)Joelist Wrote: Scharping's career so far seems pretty average-ish:

2020 PFF Overall 52.1 Pass 60.7 Run 48.6

2021 PFF Overall 59.9 Pass 53.8. Run 60.4

2022 Preseason PFF Overall 65.4 Pass 76.7 Run 59.6

I'm not a PFF fan but the stats are what they are. He got 70 snaps this preseason BTW.

That is a good year last season compared to what our guys were doing besides Spain who had a good regular season.

Thanks for the numbers Joelist.

(08-31-2022, 03:56 PM)Nepa Wrote: Well, relative to the miserable PFF pass grades we saw posted for the preseason with both Volson and Carman, this would be just fine. Those Carman/Volson preseason pass grades were head-shakingly poor. (Their run grades were fine.)

Edit: I found what fans had posted Jungle Noise threads. Carman had a PFF pass block grade of 34.8 for the Rams preseason game. Volson had a PFF pass block grade of 38.5 for the first two preseason grades. Yeah, Scharping looks just fine from that standpoint.

All true.

(08-31-2022, 03:57 PM)Joelist Wrote: Maybe the thought is Scharping will do well in our blocking scheme rather than what he was previously in.

Pollack wouldn't of wanted him if he didn't think he would fit his scheme.

(08-31-2022, 04:04 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Scharping seems to be an OK pass blocker. Thats what this team needs

Volson and Carman are both poor in pass pro. Carman especially

True.

(08-31-2022, 04:06 PM)Synric Wrote: Bengals need a good run blocker at guard. Run blocking was a huge reason the Bengals were on of the worst redzone and 3rd and short teams in the NFL.

I know everyone is super focused on protecting Joe Burrow but if they dont improve in the redzone and short yardage they will struggle this season.

Between our new guys in Cappa, Karras and Collins and Jonah, Volson and Carman we should be much better this year.

(08-31-2022, 04:10 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: last season 3/5 of the o-line couldnt pass block, let alone run block. 

Collins and Cappa help with run blocking as well as pass blocking. Karras is a better run blocker than Hopkins was. Jonah is a good run blocker.

Bengals already have good run blockers. The run blocking is going to be better in 2022. Im all for a LG who may lack ideal run blocking skill, but can protect Burrow with decent pass pro skill.

Unless you really want Volson or Carman starting over Scharping, which I dont think you actually want

Plus Pollack is good at coaching up run blocking compared to pass protection.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 04:10 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: last season 3/5 of the o-line couldnt pass block, let alone run block. 

Collins and Cappa help with run blocking as well as pass blocking. Karras is a better run blocker than Hopkins was. Jonah is a good run blocker.

Bengals already have good run blockers. The run blocking is going to be better in 2022. Im all for a LG who may lack ideal run blocking skill, but can protect Burrow with decent pass pro skill.

Unless you really want Volson or Carman starting over Scharping, which I dont think you actually want
Plus, I'd much rather see Mixon overcome bad run blocking than to see Burrow try to overcome shitty pass blocking.

Mixon hits holes fast/hard and doesn't need as good of blocking, but, since it's a passing league now and Burrow is the face of our franchise, protecting him is most important.

A strong run game is important, and I think we should be better in that department, but, even if we stay the same, I feel like Mixon will still be near the top of the league in rushing.
(08-31-2022, 04:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not going to make an assumption y'all are trying to say Volson actually performed better than his pressures indicated.
But I did get to watch that Preseason Game 2 and his limited athleticism was evident that he could struggle blocking defenders if having to cover a bigger area than a phonebooth.

I do want to point out too that Scharping has better athleticism than Volson.
And Scharping has not allowed more than 3 sacks in a season before.
Only 6 sacks across over 2000 offensive snaps in the regular season is pretty solid.

Could Volson be as good or better? He might.
But wouldn't people feel more comfortable with someone with experience like Scharping over the gamble that is Volson?
At least for the first part of the season while Volson still continues to grow?

I like the Scharping signing and think it helps solidify our line, but I also hope that it makes the guys around him better and makes Volson work even harder to get on the field so (1) we have good depth and (2) Scharping knows that he has to perform or Volson is there to take his spot!
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 03:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He has been pretty good too in his starts. This is a really nice claim IMO. Wink

He is coming off of the Texans who are maybe the worst team in the league and don't know what the heck they are doing.

The Texans look to have a very good offensive line this year. But that could still mean good things for Max as he might be just the odd man out on a strong unit.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 04:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not going to make an assumption y'all are trying to say Volson actually performed better than his pressures indicated.
But I did get to watch that Preseason Game 2 and his limited athleticism was evident that he could struggle blocking defenders if having to cover a bigger area than a phonebooth.

I do want to point out too that Scharping has better athleticism than Volson.
And Scharping has not allowed more than 3 sacks in a season before.
Only 6 sacks across over 2000 offensive snaps in the regular season is pretty solid.

Could Volson be as good or better? He might.
But wouldn't people feel more comfortable with someone with experience like Scharping over the gamble that is Volson?
At least for the first part of the season while Volson still continues to grow?

Love that stat of only 6 sacks with over 2,000 snaps.

What great depth at the very least.

Just what we needed.

(08-31-2022, 05:00 PM)Au165 Wrote: Let a high level NFL and vet center call the protections and check out of plays before we worry too much is what I'd say.

I feel like I have explained this before but they are going to let their drafted players attempt to man the spot. If the quality is even remotely close between say Volson and Scharping they will go with Volson for experience and  contract reasons. You learn to play OL in this league by playing in real games. We have to play guys to develop them and that is what they will do here unless it gets really bad, which the odds of that happening if all else on the line are healthy are probably slim.

Outside of week 1, we don't really see a an interior defender until the back half of the year. He will get plenty of reps to know what we have by that point.

Both Karras and Jonah WILL help Volson no doubt and agree with everything you say here as usual Au165. Cool

(08-31-2022, 05:10 PM)Au165 Wrote: Where the line is, and Burrow for that matter, is a long ways away from then. I always say you can hide one weakness on an Oline you can't hide 2+ and we had at least 2 that year and for most the year 3+.

Random fact, Jordan actually got 10 starts in Carolina last year and is their projected starter this year.

Wild, good for Jordan.
Reply/Quote
Great depth signing. Just what we wanted really. Guess this means Spain isn't coming back.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 05:22 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: The Texans look to have a very good offensive line this year. But that could still mean good things for Max as he might be just the odd man out on a strong unit.

That could be right on Nug. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 03:09 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: started 33 games in his 4 years.. that is more starts than probably all are backups combined

3 years, he was drafted in 2019.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If I’m Carman realty just sunk in
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 05:58 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: If I’m Carman realty just sunk in

We call him Charmin now lol
Reply/Quote
This was a Scharp move by the team!
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
And watch as the winning TD pass in the Superbowl goes from Joe Mixon to Scharping on a trick option play featuring Aaron Donald getting pancaked by Joe Burrow!
Reply/Quote
We needed a backup RG
Reply/Quote
Late on replying to this but this was a solid pickup. You get a young guard that can possibly play emergency tackle. I'd assume if he comes in and picks up the system quick they'll make a corresponding cut on the OL and bring back Allen officially right before the Steeler game.
Reply/Quote
Definitely a nice pickup for us. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I remember liking him as a draft prospect in 2019 but thinking the 2nd round was a little high for him (I liked him in the 3rd to 4th round range) because I didn't expect a guy from Northern Illinois to be ready to start for a year or two and we needed immediate help on the Oline.

Sounds like he has had his ups and downs and may be capable of delivering around average (Or perhaps "acceptable") play at the guard position which, you know, would be an upgrade over what we currently have backing up our guards.

Nice pick up.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 05:27 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Great depth signing. Just what we wanted really. Guess this means Spain isn't coming back.

I'd welcome Spain back. 
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Seems like the Texans were looking to add Sharping back to their roster.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/texans-don-t-sound-thrilled-about-losing-max-scharping-to-bengals-on-waiver-wire/ar-AA11lIwf?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=fb38139b8be649d98eb5faa3b09a4c91

Quote: Texans general manager Nick Caserio told Aaron Wilson of Pro Football Network the loss hurts: “That was a tough one. Max is a good player. It’s where we were right now. We felt like it was the best decision for us.”

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 08:11 AM)EatonFan Wrote: I'd welcome Spain back. 

They are kind of the same player but Max is 5 or 6 years younger.
Reply/Quote
Nice waiver pick up....this organization is really doing a good job lately. Who'da thunk it?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote