Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals claim Max Scharping Off Waivers
(09-01-2022, 08:53 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Seems like the Texans were looking to add Sharping back to their roster.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/texans-don-t-sound-thrilled-about-losing-max-scharping-to-bengals-on-waiver-wire/ar-AA11lIwf?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=fb38139b8be649d98eb5faa3b09a4c91

Good find. And he almost cleared waivers and made it back to the Texans. Probably hurts more than the Bengals losing an UDFA in Pryor to the team at the very top of the list to make waiver claims.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 09:40 AM)Wyche Wrote: Nice waiver pick up....this organization is really doing a good job lately. Who'da thunk it?

It's certainly a welcome change from the days of old.  Who Dey
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 09:43 AM)Nepa Wrote: Good find. And he almost cleared waivers and made it back to the Texans. Probably hurts more than the Bengals losing an UDFA in Pryor to the team at the very top of the list to make waiver claims.

Bengals seem to hit well drafting WR, and the Texans tend to draft well at OL, so I'm going to call it a wash.  I like that this is only Sharping's 4th season as a pro, meaning he could still be a rising player.  If he pans out, the team could sign him to a longer contract and have a little security at interior OL, as well as emergency Tackle.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 09:48 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bengals seem to hit well drafting WR, and the Texans tend to draft well at OL, so I'm going to call it a wash.  I like that this is only Sharping's 4th season as a pro, meaning he could still be a rising player.  If he pans out, the team could sign him to a longer contract and have a little security at interior OL, as well as emergency Tackle.

I read somewhere yesterday evening that some Texans fans were pretty upset they lost him, FWIW ?

And I feel a bit better about our Oline backups. I just don't have a ton of confidence in the bunch we have. (On comes a 15 page debate about the quality of our backups at Oline.)
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 01:24 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I remember liking him as a draft prospect in 2019 but thinking the 2nd round was a little high for him (I liked him in the 3rd to 4th round range) because I didn't expect a guy from Northern Illinois to be ready to start for a year or two and we needed immediate help on the Oline.

Sounds like he has had his ups and downs and may be capable of delivering around average (Or perhaps "acceptable") play at the guard position which, you know, would be an upgrade over what we currently have backing up our guards.

Nice pick up.

Remember the same thing in our Draft talks and Mocks. Scharping was in a lot of our Mocks in the mid rounds.

From his PFF ratings over his 3 years he has continually gotten better which is what you want to see in a young player.

(09-01-2022, 08:53 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Seems like the Texans were looking to add Sharping back to their roster.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/texans-don-t-sound-thrilled-about-losing-max-scharping-to-bengals-on-waiver-wire/ar-AA11lIwf?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=fb38139b8be649d98eb5faa3b09a4c91

Yeah baby, this is what I like to see. Nice find Sunset as Nepa said. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Can certainly get behind any move to help bolster the OL and suspect as OP suggested that Max will be the starting LG soon.

Who Dey

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Dude has started more NFL games than Jonah Williams
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
if you really take pff as gospel, this guy should be Cincy's starting LG without question. Has graded well enough over the last 2 seasons, and his preseason grade for 2022 is much higher than Volson's

underrated pick up
Reply/Quote
I think we'll see Volson start and if he struggles they will bring Sharping in to spell him.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 02:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think we'll see Volson start and if he struggles they will bring Sharping in to spell him.

I could imagine Volson's leash is short. I'd wonder, if he gets raked early on some stunts or just has trouble keeping up with the power of some #1 DTs, would they be comfortable bringing Sharping in or would it be Carman first?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 02:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think we'll see Volson start and if he struggles they will bring Sharping in to spell him.

This pickup has put Carman in the trade mix, he's on thin ice.  Unless Shapring plays multiple spots, it doesn't make much sense to have 3 LG's.
It also says that the Bengals saw a wide gap between Volson and Carman in terms of readiness to start.  
I don't get it with Carman, he is a physical specimen as a guard.  He's shown nastiness at times, a trait needed to play online but can't be coached.  Is he just not smart enough to understand his job?  Lazy?  Gets easily confused?  Or is he not mature for all of 22?
Zac had some nice words about Carman yesterday, that goes both ways, a buildup to help his trade value or Zac means it for a Cincinnati Bengal.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 02:32 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I could imagine Volson's leash is short. I'd wonder, if he gets raked early on some stunts or just has trouble keeping up with the power of some #1 DTs, would they be comfortable bringing Sharping in or would it be Carman first?

Probably depends on how quickly Scharping gets a handle on the playbook. Not sure Carman is very high on the backup list right now ?
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 02:34 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: This pickup has put Carman in the trade mix, he's on thin ice.

Don't know about that. Trading Carman would put about $2.1m in dead cap on the Bengals, opposed to his current $1.7m cap hit this year. Cutting him would create $3.1m in dead cap.

Maybe next year, when the Bengals would save cap space by either cutting or trading him, but I don't know if they are willing to take an increased cap hit to get rid of him this year. Doesn't seem like a particularly Bengals thing to do.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 02:34 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: This pickup has put Carman in the trade mix, he's on thin ice.  Unless Shapring plays multiple spots, it doesn't make much sense to have 3 LG's.
It also says that the Bengals saw a wide gap between Volson and Carman in terms of readiness to start.  
I don't get it with Carman, he is a physical specimen as a guard.  He's shown nastiness at times, a trait needed to play online but can't be coached.  Is he just not smart enough to understand his job?  Lazy?  Gets easily confused?  Or is he not mature for all of 22?
Zac had some nice words about Carman yesterday, that goes both ways, a buildup to help his trade value or Zac means it for a Cincinnati Bengal.

As TLL says here, trading Charmin doesn't make any sense right now.

Him being only 22 actually does make sense in him still struggling. It is also a reason you keep him around hope he 
grows into that nasty, mauling Guard in the run game. If he can get his sets down and his hand placement at some 
point this season or next Offseason he could still be good.

Anyone saying different just hates the guy and is a pessimist like Frank lol

(09-01-2022, 03:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't know about that. Trading Carman would put about $2.1m in dead cap on the Bengals, opposed to his current $1.7m cap hit this year. Cutting him would create $3.1m in dead cap.

Maybe next year, when the Bengals would save cap space by either cutting or trading him, but I don't know if they are willing to take an increased cap hit to get rid of him this year. Doesn't seem like a particularly Bengals thing to do.

This.

BTW, Scharping WAS a very good pick up and I am glad we got him in here somewhat early so he can learn the scheme
before the opener in case Volson does really struggle which I kind of expect against Heyward and company. We will have 
to help Volson out with a RB a TE chipping and Jonah and Ted helping. Volson will be the player on the OL Defense's will
try to attack the most without question.

If Scharping can come in and solidify LG and make Defense's think about attacking somewhere else that is great.

I don't know if he will be THAT good though so soon. He has improved every year he has been in the league though.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 03:04 PM)Nepa Wrote: Great! And waiver claims ended at noon so this is settled then. 

Maybe won't start, since he will be brand new to the system, and according to the article you posted he went back and forth between starting and being on the bench, but still this is comforting.

Aren’t we last, well 2nd to last behind the Rams on claiming players?
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 07:38 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Aren’t we last, well 2nd to last behind the Rams on claiming players?

My understanding is that teams had from 4pm on Tuesday until noon on Wednesday to make claims. Numerous teams may make claims on the same player, but those with the poorer records get the claims. It doesn't work sequentially; before noon, any team can swoop in and make a claim. Since it was after noon on that date, and only the Bengals had made a claim on Scharping by noon, they won out. They lost out on at least one other player they claimed to a team with a poorer record. Several players had multiple claims made; one I believe had five teams making a claim.
Reply/Quote
Saw someone online say how a week ago most of us would have gladly traded Pryor for Scharping, which I agree with. So that’s one way to look at it for those of us who are bummed about losing Pryor.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 09:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Saw someone online say how a week ago most of us would have gladly traded Pryor for Scharping, which I agree with. So that’s one way to look at it for those of us who are bummed about losing Pryor.

That is true, thanks Nicomo. Wink
Reply/Quote
Thought a walk down memory lane would be kind of entertaining. Max was rated all over the place due to his swing ability. There's one list that rated our very own Michael Jordan as a tad better than him. Enjoy!

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-top-15-tackles-for-2019-nfl-draft
https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/20/draft-position-rankings-offensive-line-tackles-guards-centers-jawaan-taylor-andre-dillard-jonah
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2832463-nfl-draft-400-ranking-the-drafts-top-offensive-tackles
Reply/Quote