Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals.com article about OL at the combine
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/New-combo-lines-up-at-combine/e397be99-4bc7-401e-bfdf-ff0653b23cf2

Some thoughts:

1) Pollak indicasting in any way he likes Ogbuehi and Bodine is enormously discouraging. We're talking about the worst Center and LT in the NFL here...

2) The draft talk was interesting. As Hobson mentioned the issue with drafting OL out of colleges running spread offenses its a safe bet the team braintrust has it in mind too (since basically he is the Pravda of that braintrust).

3) Also interesting was the comparison of Mike McGlinchey to Andrew Whitworth coming out of college (and this is not the first time I've heard that).

Mostly its pablum but you can leach out a bit of what the coaches are thinking from it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 04:11 PM)Joelist Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/New-combo-lines-up-at-combine/e397be99-4bc7-401e-bfdf-ff0653b23cf2

Some thoughts:

1) Pollak indicasting in any way he likes Ogbuehi and Bodine is enormously discouraging. We're talking about the worst Center and LT in the NFL here...

2) The draft talk was interesting. As Hobson mentioned the issue with drafting OL out of colleges running spread offenses its a safe bet the team braintrust has it in mind too (since basically he is the Pravda of that braintrust).

3) Also interesting was the comparison of Mike McGlinchey to Andrew Whitworth coming out of college (and this is not the first time I've heard that).

Mostly its pablum but you can leach out a bit of what the coaches are thinking from it.

I didn't like it, either, but Pollack can't just throw guys under the bus when we don't know what we'll have next season. Plus, maybe he sees things that he can work with them on to improve.  They did, after all, have Paul Alexander as their coach.

The draft talk also goes back to the first point because you can draft a guy high but his talent might not translate to the NFL, and then we're stuck with what we have on the team.

I think it's just coach speak while also keeping all of our options open.

I love that we have so many options and that we have coaches that actually know what they're looking for, doing, and talking about  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 04:11 PM)Joelist Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/New-combo-lines-up-at-combine/e397be99-4bc7-401e-bfdf-ff0653b23cf2

Some thoughts:

I know it is extremely discouraging to us fans but probably the biggest mistake a coach can do is rule out a player, even if it is
Bodine or Ogbuehi. If Pollack sees something in them who am i to argue. If we bring back Bodine i just hope it is not for starter
money, i would be happier if we just moved on though and that way it would force the team to take a Center early.

I don't see Bodine getting better, he was never a high ceiling type of Center. He was solid coming out of college and could lift
the weights, but he didn't have the longer arms, punch or lower weight to really anchor.

This is all just talk right now but if Pollack wants nasty, these guys are not it and he will see that.
Reply/Quote
Showing respect for decisions made prior to his arrival is what I would hope Pollack would do. That, and deferring to the time when he can get with the players he's inherited for a thorough evaluation is an expectation. It's how he will earn respect from his peers, and with that respect comes open minds when he speaks of his preferences. We still have several weeks to go to see what comes out of the wash with all of this. My hopes are he will know what he has, along with what he needs come draft day.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 04:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't see Bodine getting better, he was never a high ceiling type of Center. He was solid coming out of college and could lift
the weights, but he didn't have the longer arms, punch or lower weight to really anchor.
[Image: KerryBodine-TRex-1024x512.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 05:31 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Showing respect for decisions made prior to his arrival is what I would hope Pollack would do. That, and deferring to the time when he can get with the players he's inherited for a thorough evaluation is an expectation. It's how he will earn respect from his peers, and with that respect comes open minds when he speaks of his preferences. We still have several weeks to go to see what comes out of the wash with all of this. My hopes are he will know what he has, along with what he needs come draft day.

Exactly.  It may be just "coachspeak", but it is the right way to handle the situation.  If some of Coach Pollack's integrity rubs off on those linemen in question, perhaps they'll take a little more pride in their positions?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I've been as vocal as most, especially where Bodine is concerned. That said, I believe we have to give Pollack a chance to work some magic.
Perhaps Ced has had a great off season & comes in really ready? Maybe he gets moved inside? As much as I don't want to defend the FO, they weren't the only organization that had both Fish & Ced high on their draft board's.
I'm willing to be a little patient with a new chef in the kitchen.

Draft a couple more bullets, and retool/reload.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 05:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Exactly.  It may be just "coachspeak", but it is the right way to handle the situation.  If some of Coach Pollack's integrity rubs off on those linemen in question, perhaps they'll take a little more pride in their positions?

As long as Pollack walks the walk when any of the incumbents fail to respond with what is needed, then we should start seeing why Pollack was a good choice. This is one of those 'time will tell' scenarios that drives fans nuts that we won't be avoiding. Might as well forget about dismissing Ogbuehi, Bodine, or Fisher from consideration before all of the above plays out. On to the defensive holes to plug.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 06:02 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I've been as vocal as most, especially where Bodine is concerned. That said, I believe we have to give Pollack a chance to work some magic.
Perhaps Ced has had a great off season & comes in really ready? Maybe he gets moved inside? As much as I don't want to defend the FO, they weren't the only organization that had both Fish & Ced high on their draft board's.

Og doesn't have the build to move inside. Tall and lanky, not a Guard body. He is a LT and that is it, hopefully our backup LT
if he doesn't improve immensely. McGlinchey, Solder or Glenn as the starting LT please...
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 06:02 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I've been as vocal as most, especially where Bodine is concerned. That said, I believe we have to give Pollack a chance to work some magic.

Agree heavily with bolded.

As for moving Ced inside?  Nah, I don't see it.  He struggles with power, I'd hate to see him have to contend with a #315-#330 DT in his face every play.  For Ced, I think it's swim or sink at Tackle, unfortunately.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 05:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Exactly.  It may be just "coachspeak", but it is the right way to handle the situation.  If some of Coach Pollack's integrity rubs off on those linemen in question, perhaps they'll take a little more pride in their positions?

That's what I'm hoping.  I can't see any way that they aren't looking to replace at least one of those two players.  It's fairly obvious that both are awful, but there's no reason to tip their hand unnecessarily.  Maybe create some doubt in other teams that they see OT or C as a massive need.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 06:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agree heavily with bolded.

As for moving Ced inside?  Nah, I don't see it.  He struggles with power, I'd hate to see him have to contend with a #315-#330 DT in his face every play.  For Ced, I think it's swim or sink at Tackle, unfortunately.

He already drowned,... and he took the boat with him..
Reply/Quote

No.. ced is terrible. He needs to go. 

Is our goal to try and not hurt feelings??? Wtf... I wouldn't even want a player who couldn't take the truth.. how is he supposed to get better if he keeps hearing complete bs like "well left tackle is his natural position?"  

I get the coach not throwing players under the bus thing but he needs a good dose of reality. And that reality is if he doesn't show up looking like a completely different person in camp he needs to get cut. 

Imo he should have been cut at the end of 2016. 
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 07:39 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: No.. ced is terrible. He needs to go. 

Is our goal to try and not hurt feelings??? Wtf... I wouldn't even want a player who couldn't take the truth.. how is he supposed to get better if he keeps hearing complete bs like "well left tackle is his natural position?"  

I get the coach not throwing players under the bus thing but he needs a good dose of reality. And that reality is if he doesn't show up looking like a completely different person in camp he needs to get cut. 

Imo he should have been cut at the end of 2016. 

Ah, that takes me back to last offseason.  When Ced had spent all that time at a MMA camp, learning how to be aggressive.   LOL

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 07:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ah, that takes me back to last offseason.  When Ced had spent all that time at a MMA camp, learning how to be aggressive.   LOL

Well, he did become more fierce at playing badly  Cool

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 05:31 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Showing respect for decisions made prior to his arrival is what I would hope Pollack would do. That, and deferring to the time when he can get with the players he's inherited for a thorough evaluation is an expectation. It's how he will earn respect from his peers, and with that respect comes open minds when he speaks of his preferences. We still have several weeks to go to see what comes out of the wash with all of this. My hopes are he will know what he has, along with what he needs come draft day.

This makes a lot of sense. I, too, would be dismayed (being nice here) if Ogee and Bodine are the starters. Definitely don't want to burn any bridges at this point.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 07:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ah, that takes me back to last offseason.  When Ced had spent all that time at a MMA camp, learning how to be aggressive.   LOL

How does MMA help you in football as a lineman? Sorry, but that’s just stupid. He would have gained more from yoga classes, knitting, or water aerobics?

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 08:54 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: How does MMA help you in football as a lineman? Sorry, but that’s just stupid. He would have gained more from yoga classes, knitting, or water aerobics?

Yeah, I thought it was horse manure when I first read it.  However, some of the members of the board were getting excited, so I just left it alone.

On another note.  Remember back in the '70s when it became public that Lynn Swann and several other NFL players were taking ballet to improve their body control?  I remember being in like 4th or 5th grade and the teacher telling us about it.  We were all astonished.  Mellow   LOL

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 09:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I thought it was horse manure when I first read it.  However, some of the members of the board were getting excited, so I just left it alone.

On another note.  Remember back in the '70s when it became public that Lynn Swann and several other NFL players were taking ballet to improve their body control?  I remember being in like 4th or 5th grade and the teacher telling us about it.  We were all astonished.  Mellow   LOL

That would make more since. At least Lynn Swan had the catch in SB X. What has MMA done for Ced but holding calls and laying on his back? Lol...

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 09:38 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: That would make more since. At least Lynn Swan had the catch in SB X. What has MMA done for Ced but holding calls and laying on his back? Lol...

Maybe he thinks that if "taps out" the DE will stop bothering him?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote