Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals cutting Iloka
(08-20-2018, 09:57 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: What people don't understand is the shock value of him being released may actually help the team in the long run. At any job when a co-worker is canned it makes everyone else evaluate their performance. Either you put your proverbial nose to the grindstone or you are going to be replaced. Are you listening DRE.

I understand why everyone wants to compare the NFL to the jobs they have, but I think there is a big difference.

It is so hard to get into the NFL in the first place and the career window is so short that I don't think there are a lot of lazy slackers in the NFL.  They all get weeded out early on.  And when they do make a roster they know there careers are so short they need to make every year count.

I have played with 3 guys that made it to the NFL and every one of them was about the hardest worker on the team. 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 10:46 AM)Wyche Wrote: Known as a "Landmark Firing" in the business world.....

Competition breeds success and the best in someone. Illoka got pushed by the young guys, and when the coaches realized the play didn't drop off all that much, the money took over the argument. It was business, in a very cut throat industry. 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 10:54 AM)dr1441 Wrote: Competition breeds success and the best in someone.

So Iloka got cut because he got better due to the competition?

I think there is a flaw in that logic.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 10:34 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: well its obvious they weren't high on one of the safties last year...

Persued Coleman
Checked out Reed
Drafted Bates.

Apparently it was Illoka they weren't happy with

Yep
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 11:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So Iloka got cut because he got better due to the competition?

I think there is a flaw in that logic.

because there was little to no drop off between him and the rookie
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 11:32 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: because there was little to no drop off between him and the rookie

Correct.

The point I was making was that Iloka was not the best example of the argument that "competition makes a player better".  It doesn't look like it helped Iloka at all.
Reply/Quote
The play that may have sealed his fate was failing to seal the edge letting Dak get free early on ..idk..I didn't watch it, but Dave Lapham really jumped all over the play.. 
I'm sure the coaching staff saw it as well and not too pleased .
At any rate Iloka impressed early on in his career, but the past season or so he just wasn't cutting mustard.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Good luck to George! It was probably the right time to move on. Bates brings us a ball hawk and someone that will be less likely to draw personal fouls, I hope.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 09:43 AM)Sweetness Wrote: Adam Jones is not better then a significant percentage of players. The eye test last year could tell you that and his PFF scores indicate the same thing. You could tell he was starting to lose a step over the past 2 year, he's now another year older, and would be learning an entirely new position without any training camp. And all this isnt even touching the absurdity of the statement indicating he could give another quality 4-5 years...WHAT?! (I know that wasnt from you)

Adam Jones and leadership should never be used in the same sentence. The guy is a trash human being, albeit a once good football player. 

I agree with way more of what Sunset has to say than not, we're usually right on the same page but I have to agree with you here sweetness.

I want nothing to do with Adam Jones ! The good - the fire, the passion, the ability used to outweigh the bad. It doesn't anymore.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 09:33 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree Racer, good post.

And if they're really going to get serious this need to happen as well. It's time to admit Ogbuehi doesn't doesn't have it. And MJ is useless as a DE he just doesn't have the hips for it. Are they really gonna pay him for 10-12 snaps a game as a situational inside pass rusher ? Wouldn't it be better to keep Glasgow or Okoye ? 

They can't put everybody on the PS

Glasgow was on the 53 man roster last year. I think Sims was also who is gone. My point being we have room to keep MJ, but to me the issue is not keeping him, it is paying him a starter salary so I have suggested ask him to take a huge pay cut, if he balks, then cut him.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 11:51 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Glasgow was on the 53 man roster last year. I think Sims was also who is gone. My point being we have room to keep MJ, but to me the issue is not keeping him, it is paying him a starter salary so I have suggested ask him to take a huge pay cut, if he balks, then cut him.

I'd be onboard with that. At the end of the day I'm for the Bengals not for player A or B. It's nothing personal against anybody, it's not about hate.

I want to see a great product on the field and have a chance at winning it all. 
Reply/Quote
My theory is this. By cutting him now instead of back in March or whenever, the Bengals ie Ownership can pocket the money instead of using it on a quality free agent that would have been available back then. Its purely a financial move with public relations playing a role to delay the cut. Cut him back then, fans would expect to see that money spent elsewhere. Cut him now, that's money in the pocket and fans will say 'I understand & applaud the team for doing something different.'

I mean they werent happy with his play last year, pursued free agents, drafted Bates, and only 2 preseason games in they feel good with the rookie instead of the 5 year experienced vet? Yeah, they knew they were going to cut him long ago, but waited until the fanbase had their pitchforks put away.

Anyways, thats my theory at least, and I hope it gets ripped apart by them making a move in which case that money gets used asap, not next season.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 12:07 PM)Millhouse Wrote: My theory is this. By cutting him now instead of back in March or whenever, the Bengals ie Ownership can pocket the money instead of using it on a quality free agent that would have been available back then. Its purely a financial move with public relations playing a role to delay the cut. Cut him back then, fans would expect to see that money spent elsewhere. Cut him now, that's money in the pocket and fans will say 'I understand & applaud the team for doing something different.'

I mean they werent happy with his play last year, pursued free agents, drafted Bates, and only 2 preseason games in they feel good with the rookie instead of the 5 year experienced vet? Yeah, they knew they were going to cut him long ago, but waited until the fanbase had their pitchforks put away.

Anyways, thats my theory at least, and I hope it gets ripped apart by them making a move in which case that money gets used asap, not next season.

Your theory is extremely flawed and has be proven over and over again MB and the Bengals spend more than their fair share when calculated against other teams. They have rolled money over in to the cap the following year the past 8+ years I believe. That blows your theory out of the water. If MB wanted to pocket the money, then he does not roll over any cap money, but again he has rolled it over for future contracts to keep the best players here for 2nd and 3rd contracts.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 12:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Your theory is extremely flawed and be proven over and over again MB and the Bengals spend more than their fair share when calculated against other teams. They have rolled money over in to the cap the following year the past 8+ years I believe. That blows your theory out of the water. If MB wanted to pocket the money, then he does not roll over any cap money, but again he has rolled it over for future contracts to keep the best players here for 2nd and 3rd contracts.

Actually by rolling over cap monies each year he is pocketing the money. If he has continually rolled over $8M (I think that number is close) since the new CBA was signed then he is 'up' $8M. He has essentially been using the CBA rollover provision like a Visa. Buy now and pay next month. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 11:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Correct.

The point I was making was that Iloka was not the best example of the argument that "competition makes a player better".  It doesn't look like it helped Iloka at all.

And competition isn't helping one Michael Johnson either.

He needs to be the next to go.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 12:48 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Actually by rolling over cap monies each year he is pocketing the money. If he has continually rolled over $8M (I think that number is close) since the new CBA was signed then he is 'up' $8M. He has essentially been using the CBA rollover provision like a Visa. Buy now and pay next month. 

That doesn't work because the minimum spend still requires the moving average over three years to reach a certain average. Rolled over money does not count as spending in this accounting so this theory here is false. It is also known that they have spend up to the ceiling a couple times. The narrative that they are pocketing money is a broken and played out narrative over the last couple years.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals after resigning Eifert and going after Buffalo Bills top Left Tackle and Linebacker in Free Agency said they would make up for this spending with cuts after the draft. So besides letting Bodine, Hill, Pacman go in free agency, they have of late cut LaFell and now IIoka. Unless Bengals say different, all internet stories say this isn't about the 5 year starters play on the field. News stories saying he was cut to save salary cap money. Strictly a money move. If that is the case, I expect an NFL team will be picking him up pretty fast. I don't know how set Zimmer is at safety, but he might consider him for Vikings. Some team will grab him if the 5 year starter was cut over money, not poor play. Also Bengals had a Suspension clause in Burfict's contract, and with him getting suspended the Bengals don't have to pay 1/4 of his contract. So Bengals getting Burfict for millions cheaper due to his 4 game suspension. Bengals were smart to add a suspension clause to Burfict contract. He still gets 3/4 of his contract, just a few million less than he thought. So Bengals getting money back after free agent spending, as they had planned.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 12:48 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Actually by rolling over cap monies each year he is pocketing the money. If he has continually rolled over $8M (I think that number is close) since the new CBA was signed then he is 'up' $8M. He has essentially been using the CBA rollover provision like a Visa. Buy now and pay next month. 

You are missing the point, he makes a decision to roll it over. He could decide to not roll it over and keep it forever, case closed and move on to next year. He keeps the money (credit card) in play versus canceling the credit card (based on your analogy)

Reply/Quote

He is not rolling it all over every year.

In both '15 and '16 the Bengals spent OVER the league salary cap.  They were only able to do this because of the money he rolled over from previous years.

I rip Mike Brown as much as anyone for the mistakes he has made, but he is not just putting all this money in his pockets.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 01:08 PM)kevin Wrote: The Bengals after resigning Eifert and going after Buffalo Bills top Left Tackle and Linebacker in Free Agency said they would make up for this spending with cuts after the draft. So besides letting Bodine, Hill, Pacman go in free agency, they have of late cut LaFell and now IIoka. Unless Bengals say different, all internet stories say this isn't about the 5 year starters play on the field. News stories saying he was cut to save salary cap money. Strictly a money move. If that is the case, I expect an NFL team will be picking him up pretty fast. I don't know how set Zimmer is at safety, but he might consider him for Vikings. Some team will grab him if the 5 year starter was cut over money, not poor play.

Cordy Glenn was traded for, not signed as a free agent. Had he been on the open market it’s highly doubtful we get him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote