Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals cutting Iloka
It's funny, some of the people whining about cutting Iloka are the same ones that whine about rookies never getting their shot because of too much loyalty to the vets..... and MB only plays the guys he pays the most. Can't have it both ways...... Bates has answered the only question there was on him. There was zero doubt he is a ball hawk, the question was, is he physical enough to play safety in the NFL. He has answered that question with some outstanding tackles. Out with the old, in with the new. As for MJ, I can see them cutting him, but I also can see them holding onto him, as they want that big rotation on the Dline.....
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 02:35 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Probably Michael Johnson. It’s the veterans going so far (LaFell, Pacman, Iloka). They must foolishly still have hope for Og. Sadly, it’s not like we have much better behind him on half the line either.

His contract is cheap and the tackle market is a wasteland. They were talking the other day somewhere about how no team in the NFL can afford to lose a tackle this year because there is absolutely 0 depth beyond the starters across the league. I was hoping Donald Penn would get cut, but now that they renegotiated that deal it doesn't look like there is anything out there. Part of me thinks calling up Incognito and asking if he wants to play RT may be the best idea, but do you really want that in your locker room?
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 10:00 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Are the Bengals going to bring back "Pac Man" on the cheap to play safety? Ninja

I would actually have zero problems with that.... Adam could move to safety and we could get another 4 or 5 years of quality play from him.... and he's as football smart as they come.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 08:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I would actually have zero problems with that.... Adam could move to safety and we could get another 4 or 5 years of quality play from him.... and he's as football smart as they come.

How many quality 38-39 year old safeties do you know of? Heck, how many good 35 year old ones are there? Adam Jones is done. Stick a fork in him. 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 08:21 AM)Au165 Wrote: His contract is cheap and the tackle market is a wasteland. They were talking the other day somewhere about how no team in the NFL can afford to lose a tackle this year because there is absolutely 0 depth beyond the starters across the league. I was hoping Donald Penn would get cut, but now that they renegotiated that deal it doesn't look like there is anything out there. Part of me thinks calling up Incognito and asking if he wants to play RT may be the best idea, but do you really want that in your locker room?

No man, haven't your heard; you just call teams up and they trade you quality starting caliber tackles for mediocre safeties you're going to cut. 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 08:33 AM)Sweetness Wrote: How many quality 38-39 year old safeties do you know of? Heck, how many good 35 year old ones are there? Adam Jones is done. Stick a fork in him. 

Jones sat several seasons out, and he was playing corner as of last year. He's got a couple of years left in him if he switched. I'm not suggesting they do it, but I would have no problem if they did.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 08:36 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Jones sat several seasons out, and he was playing corner as of last year. He's got a couple of years left in him if he switched. I'm not suggesting they do it, but I would have no problem if they did.

The myth of CB's transitioning to safeties in their twilight years as their skills diminish is interesting. I can't really think of someone outside of Woodson that successfully did this. There have been CB's that transitioned to Safety besides him, but it wasn't because they were older and their skills were diminishing. Every team's fans likes to throw this out about their Corners late (Everyone said it about Revis), but the reality is it just isn't that easy to do. 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 08:33 AM)Sweetness Wrote: How many quality 38-39 year old safeties do you know of? Heck, how many good 35 year old ones are there? Adam Jones is done. Stick a fork in him. 

Adam Jones is 34, and can still play better than a significant percentage of players in the league.  Purely from a football perspective, he brings experience and leadership, along with quality depth in the secondary, to go with his PR skills.

From a public relations perspective, you have to weigh the risk of negative attention versus what he adds to the football team, for sure.

If they wanted to bring back Jones on the cheap?  Fine by me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 08:40 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Adam Jones is 34, and can still play better than a significant percentage of players in the league.  Purely from a football perspective, he brings experience and leadership, along with quality depth in the secondary, to go with his PR skills.

From a public relations perspective, you have to weigh the risk of negative attention versus what he adds to the football team, for sure.

Yeah, there's a lot I don't like about Adam, but I love his fire to win.....
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 09:18 PM)Joelist Wrote: Cutting Iloka is a sign the team is finally tired of getting punked for explosive pass plays because both Saleties were strong and we had no free safety player type.

Cue Fred on posting a stat about their ranking in the NFL about giving up long pass plays, but you are dead on in this assessment.  
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 02:34 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Would like to thank George for his play and representing the community positively.

But new DC may not see him fitting his scheme. Is it better to cut a starter while there is time to catch on with another team or bench him ?

Anyway am certainly hoping it is to add players on right side of OL. Do believe someone will get released and it is best to be prepared cap wise so they can pounce immediately.

Always was a MJ fan but admit he is getting long in the tooth and could see that possibly happening to him as well to make even more cap space.

See George and Lafell as the FO (possibly Marvin has control) being aggressive still and rolling dice trying to go all in in same offseason fashion.

if it brings help where we need it the most then I will applaud it loudly.

As for OG he should be cut purely because he is not cutting the mustard. yet financially he probably does not count much against the cap anyway.

Am also fine If Brown keeps kicking the way he has throughout ultimately replacing Bullock. Think they will stick with experience here though.

On my walk this morning, I figured this was the case; he's just not a scheme fit here, for whatever reason.

When Jim O said that they WEREN'T doing many 3 safety looks, it was a curveball; now we know why.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Shocking move to say the least, but honestly it was needed. Either Williams or Illoka needed to go to let some of these younger and cheaper guys on the field more. I think Williams was kept because he will and has also been being tinkered with in a LB role. The logjam at safety and money is what made this happen. Wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened to MJ later this training camp.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 07:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: FWIW, I still see MJ being released...and maybe Ogbuehi.  Ced will be a huge admission of suction in the draft process as a first rounder that contributed nothing, but he simply doesn't have it.

Agree Racer, good post.

And if they're really going to get serious this need to happen as well. It's time to admit Ogbuehi doesn't doesn't have it. And MJ is useless as a DE he just doesn't have the hips for it. Are they really gonna pay him for 10-12 snaps a game as a situational inside pass rusher ? Wouldn't it be better to keep Glasgow or Okoye ? 

They can't put everybody on the PS
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 08:40 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Adam Jones is 34, and can still play better than a significant percentage of players in the league.  Purely from a football perspective, he brings experience and leadership, along with quality depth in the secondary, to go with his PR skills.

Adam Jones is not better then a significant percentage of players. The eye test last year could tell you that and his PFF scores indicate the same thing. You could tell he was starting to lose a step over the past 2 year, he's now another year older, and would be learning an entirely new position without any training camp. And all this isnt even touching the absurdity of the statement indicating he could give another quality 4-5 years...WHAT?! (I know that wasnt from you)

Adam Jones and leadership should never be used in the same sentence. The guy is a trash human being, albeit a once good football player. 
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 02:57 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Damn.  He was always ok.   But I’d rather release Williams

Yep, me too......this truly is a new look for this organization.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 09:20 AM)dr1441 Wrote: Shocking move to say the least, but honestly it was needed. Either Williams or Illoka needed to go to let some of these younger and cheaper guys on the field more. I think Williams was kept because he will and has also been being tinkered with in a LB role. The logjam at safety and money is what made this happen. Wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened to MJ later this training camp.
What people don't understand is the shock value of him being released may actually help the team in the long run. At any job when a co-worker is canned it makes everyone else evaluate their performance. Either you put your proverbial nose to the grindstone or you are going to be replaced. Are you listening DRE.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 05:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So much for the Marvin won't play rookies over veterans spiel. Iloka's style of tackling, laying the big hit, is going to draw a lot of flags now. I've noticed the whole team seems to be tackling better this year, keeping their heads up and wrapping up instead of looking to just blow someone up. The money saved here would pay for a very good RG or RT for the year, if they can find one. Iloka will catch on somewhere else, hopefully not Pissburgh, so good luck to him.

I have too.  That said, it's kinda looking that way around the league as a whole.  This new rule may have the effect I thought it would, i.e. leading to fundamentally sound tackling versus looking for highlight reel killshots and whiffing.  The new rule may just make the game better.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 06:46 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: But he doesn’t cover TE’s well. George had a shitty game last night and it cost him his job. This is what the good teams do to try to correct the problems. They are flush with quality DB’s.

This.  George has had a shitty year plus.  I liked the guy, and he made some big hits.....but other than that?  I don't see the big deal.  I appreciate his time and effort here, and wish him the best, but it was time to move on.  Now that this has come to pass, we know why they brought "what's his name" from SF in during the offseason.  The only reason Iloka stayed around this long was to make sure Bates could cut the mustard.  Once they became satisfied with his play, it was a matter of time.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 03:08 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: This is shocking and not a good move IMO. Have to think there is something behind the scenes here....

well its obvious they weren't high on one of the safties last year...

Persued Coleman
Checked out Reed
Drafted Bates.

Apparently it was Illoka they weren't happy with
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 09:57 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: What people don't understand is the shock value of him being released may actually help the team in the long run. At any job when a co-worker is canned it makes everyone else evaluate their performance. Either you put your proverbial nose to the grindstone or you are going to be replaced. Are you listening DRE.

Known as a "Landmark Firing" in the business world.....

Reply/Quote