Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals cutting Iloka
(08-19-2018, 05:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is definately different. Traded for a LT, drafted a Center in the first. When is the last time we did this?

50 years ago or somethin'?

Guess i have to bump my own quote since it was just ignored by I-C Deadpeople...

Last time we drafted a Center in the first round was a long damn time ago and he already looks much better than Bodine.

I could list many reasons why it is different this year but i bet it would just be ignored. Cutting Iloka is just one of many.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 05:58 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Again I ask, what evidence was there that this team has changed? Zero. This team is built to be average from top to bottom.

Bringing in 2 Probowl caliber players and drafting a C in the first round for starters. And if that wasnt enough getting how about getting rid of piano man and replacing him with a top notch coach.
Reply/Quote
Iloka had some great plays for us and seemed like a classy dude. Good luck to him. I'm sure he will be in the NFL a few more years.

There are going to be other surprise cuts from other teams over the next couple weeks. Hopefully, one of them is a surprise cut of a solid veteran RT and we snatch him up.
Reply/Quote
You don't bring in a new DC and new DB coach and not expect them to give the HC an evaluation of our roster. After 2 games, I guess Austin and Jones saw what they needed to from Bates and others. They made Iloka and his salary expendable.

Signing someone new? Maybe we can work a trade, but I'm not holding my breath.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 06:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Guess i have to bump my own quote since it was just ignored by I-C Deadpeople...

Last time we drafted a Center in the first round was a long damn time ago and he already looks much better than Bodine.

I could list many reasons why it is different this year but i bet it would just be ignored. Cutting Iloka is just one of many.

Meh, wouldn't worry about it. Some don't see the impact of the changes as others do. The real proof will be in the pudding though, and that won't get served for a few more weeks, and just a little at a time for the following four months! I agree with your assessment - major moves this off season, especially for this organization!

AS for Iloka, I'm with the coaches on this decision. Youth that has agility, speed, and discipline to create more turnovers will serve us well in the long run.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 04:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When I first read the OP, was in shock.  Then, after reading all 63 posts, letting my emotions cool, and allowing logic to take over, I think that I'm alright with this move.

I loved George as the big hitter he was, coming out of Boise St., however his coverage skills never quite grew to match his ability to lay the wood.  In recent times, we've seen him pretty much forego playing the ball, in favor of "picking a shot", which has made him into a penalty machine in today's NFL.

I'm completely comfortable with Shaw, Bates, and Wilson filling out the Safety position with Williams.

I agree.  

Illoka was nothing more than average, and he's not the safety we need because hitting isn't what makes money these days in the NFL, making plays on the ball is what makes money and makes plays.  Bates is a ball hawk and needs to be on the field.  He makes great reads and great plays on the ball to create turnovers, which is what we need, not a guy like Illoka.

Making room for Bates to be on the field more improves our secondary and saves us a lot of money for extensions/fa signings.
Reply/Quote
This cut will make sense when the Front Office recapitalizes the money into obtaining a quality right tackle.
Reply/Quote
this move is exactly like the LaFell move.........George sees he is going to be splitting time w a rookie and wanted out................goes to his agent and asks for his release to pursue other teams where he will start

saves us a bunch of money to sign our future HOF Geno and Pro Bowler Carlos

Fedj, Bates and Brandon Wilson pushed Iloka right of the roster..........just like you draw it up
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 06:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I agree.  

Illoka was nothing more than average, and he's not the safety we need because hitting isn't what makes money these days in the NFL, making plays on the ball is what makes money and makes plays.  Bates is a ball hawk and needs to be on the field.  He makes great reads and great plays on the ball to create turnovers, which is what we need, not a guy like Illoka.

Making room for Bates to be on the field more improves our secondary and saves us a lot of money for extensions/fa signings.

They could have easily played  Iloka, Williams, and Bates together. This isn't about money or getting Bates more playing time. This is simply about the Bengals not knowing what they are doing. 
By the way why wouldn't any team in the NFL want a 6-4 safety who has the athletic ability to man up and cover TEs. Yeah Iloka wasn't a Ball Hawk and yes we needed one in Bates but George was also a guy who knew how to line everyone up, give a nice lick, and had the Athletic ability to play the deep zone.  
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 05:49 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I don't think MJ would mind the "insult" of being offered that vs. straight up cutting him. He may not draw much more than vet minimum on another team if he's cut outright.

Anyhow, I'm not so sure that I get the timing of the Iloka release. Maybe he said something or projected some sort of an attitude that rubbed the higher ups the wrong way. We may never know. Best of luck to him, he was a good pro when he was here. 

I think that I understand what you're aiming at, he's experienced and that wisdom makes a difference.  But, keep this in mind, that experience is only an asset to the team, until the vector between his rapidly diminishing physical skills and his game wise experience trends toward the former, more than the latter of those variables.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 06:36 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: They could have easily played  Iloka, Williams, and Bates together. This isn't about money or getting Bates more playing time. This is simply about the Bengals not knowing what they are doing. 
By the way why wouldn't any team in the NFL want a 6-4 safety who has the athletic ability to man up and cover TEs. Yeah Iloka wasn't a Ball Hawk and yes we needed one in Bates but George was also a guy who knew how to line everyone up, give a nice lick, and had the Athletic ability to play the deep zone.  

But he doesn’t cover TE’s well. George had a shitty game last night and it cost him his job. This is what the good teams do to try to correct the problems. They are flush with quality DB’s.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 06:10 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: Bringing in 2 Probowl caliber players and drafting a C in the first round for starters. And if that wasnt enough getting how about getting rid of piano man and replacing him with a top notch coach.

We didn't touch Dak last night Ninja

Reply/Quote
I mean...I always felt like Iloka was a bit overhyped and was mostly an average safety that had a propensity for head hunting on occasion but....damn.

This is crazy.

What's even crazier is that Michael Johnson outlasted Iloka on this team hahaha.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 05:31 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: We keep V.Rey even though he does nothing and we keep OG who completely sucks. 

Vinney Rey can come in and play all 3 linebacker spots. He is what he is, an experienced valuable backup. Agree on OG, time to fire him and show him the door.
Reply/Quote
I don't think this is the end of the cuts. I'm wondering who'll be next.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 07:42 PM)snowy Wrote: I don't think this is the end of the cuts. I'm wondering who'll be next.

I'm going to bet you're right unless they allow us to keep 89 players on the roster this year. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 06:10 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: Bringing in 2 Probowl caliber players and drafting a C in the first round for starters. And if that wasnt enough getting how about getting rid of piano man and replacing him with a top notch coach.

Yeah, usually we just grab one alright vet in FA and sign a washed up 1st rounder or bust.

Glenn, Preston and Pollack are proven NFL players and coaches in their prime.

We never do anything like this. Van Pelt is another proven QB coach and Bicknell is a proven WR coach.

We have had the same O-line coach for like the last 23 years before this.

(08-19-2018, 06:15 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Iloka had some great plays for us and seemed like a classy dude. Good luck to him. I'm sure he will be in the NFL a few more years.  

There are going to be other surprise cuts from other teams over the next couple weeks. Hopefully, one of them is a surprise cut of a solid veteran RT and we snatch him up.

Yes sir, George was a classy dude and man if we can just get a serviceable RT it would be huge for us.

(08-19-2018, 06:24 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Meh, wouldn't worry about it. Some don't see the impact of the changes as others do. The real proof will be in the pudding though, and that won't get served for a few more weeks, and just a little at a time for the following four months! I agree with your assessment - major moves this off season, especially for this organization!

AS for Iloka, I'm with the coaches on this decision. Youth that has agility, speed, and discipline to create more turnovers will serve us well in the long run.

Yes WF, we will see if these moves all come to fruition but it is extremely early and i knew it was going to
take time with all these changes. Good moves though that a team that wants to win makes for once.

I know you agree with the assessment cause you are a smart fella. Cool

The guys on here that don't acknowledge the moves is who i don't understand.

They just say, what moves and ignore them all. Whatever
Reply/Quote
I was thinking the Fjd might get some playing time
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 06:46 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: But he doesn’t cover TE’s well. George had a shitty game last night and it cost him his job. This is what the good teams do to try to correct the problems. They are flush with quality DB’s.

Good teams also cut coaches well before they can go 0-7 in the playoffs. nothing changes here until at least ML is gone, everything else is cosmetics. Keep believing things have changed, let me know when we win. Playoff game, anything less is SSDD
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 07:04 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I mean...I always felt like Iloka was a bit overhyped and was mostly an average safety that had a propensity for head hunting on occasion but....damn.

This is crazy.

What's even crazier is that Michael Johnson outlasted Iloka on this team hahaha.

Agree on that, if we cut Iloka how is Michael Johnson and his salary still around.

Im fine with moving on from Iloka but you mean to tell me no team would have given up and 6th or 7th rounder for a veteran safety?
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote