Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals face risk in chasing next young offensive mind
I thought this was a good article. The gist was everyone wants the next McVay.

The trouble could come in giving in to desperation for the next McVay without realizing the unique, freakish skill set of those who succeeded.

Look no further than the 2016 coaching carousel. Everyone in search of the next great offensive mind went into the carnival and came out with their prize.

The Philadelphia Eagles landed Pederson, 50, who led them to their first Super Bowl. Fans can point to him and yell into the night: ‘Go get that guy!’

But wait one second, Pederson was one of seven.

Miami got Adam Gase, Tampa Dirk Koetter, Cleveland Jackson, San Francisco Chip Kelly, NY Giants Ben McAdoo and Tennessee Mike Mularkey. All also from offensive backgrounds.

Three years later all have been fired. The majority went down in flames.

--------------
Gase, Koetter, Jackson while with the Bengals all were successful OC's. Kelly was a hot college commodity.

Being a successful OC and being a great HC are different traits. You need way more skills like leadership, communication, ect.
Reply/Quote
We would just need to cross that bridge if we come to it. For now, hiring an offensive minded coach from outside the organization is doing exactly what I want this team to do. Step outside their comfort zone and take a risk, even if it ultimately backfires.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 09:27 PM)Big Boss Wrote: We would just need to cross that bridge if we come to it.  For now, hiring an offensive minded coach from outside the organization is doing exactly what I want this team to do.  Step outside their comfort zone and take a risk, even if it ultimately backfires.

I think that as long as we don't get swept up into finding a good playcaller and look at the qualities like leadership, communication, and teaching that we'll be ok.

But, there's risk with any of these guys we hire...and a lot of it. They're all largely unproven.
Reply/Quote
I’m confident we’ll look back at this year’s carousel satisfied that the bengals got it right.

However if I’m honest, doubt is beginning to creep in regarding Bieniemy, but only a little. He’s been my favorite since Marvin left.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 09:38 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I’m confident we’ll look back at this year’s carousel satisfied that the bengals got it right.

How do you know that without knowing who they hire?

I'm sure Dolphins fans were happy they signed Gase. I'm sure Bucs fans thought Koetter was a great hire.

You just never know.

I could make a Pro and Con list of any of them. It's really an untested batch. Plus some great offensive coordinators in the past have washed out as HC's. Most of these guys haven't been great OC's for more than a year...if that.
Reply/Quote
I’d rather miss trying for the next McVay over settling for the next Marvin Lewis.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 09:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: I’d rather miss trying for the next McVay over settling for the next Marvin Lewis.

No doubt. Got to swing for the fences.

Lets face it...we're going to be a tough team to turn around. We need a lot of upgrades at offensive line and LB mainly. Plus, we need a 3rd WR if Ross doesn't improve.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 09:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: I’d rather miss trying for the next McVay over settling for the next Marvin Lewis.

Me 2 X 1,000,000
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The idea that everything Sean Mcvay has ever touched is gold could very well burn us.

Honestly? Truly? I'd be okay with Vance Joseph, but would prefer if the Bengals went after Adam Gase. He's a well established offensive mind that can put up with a lot of bullshit and win. His stint in MIami shows this.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 09:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How do you know that without knowing who they hire?

I'm sure Dolphins fans were happy they signed Gase. I'm sure Bucs fans thought Koetter was a great hire.

You just never know.

I could make a Pro and Con list of any of them. It's really an untested batch. Plus some great offensive coordinators in the past have washed out as HC's. Most of these guys haven't been great OC's for more than a year...if that.

Obviated answer; because they have to get this right. That’s all.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 10:16 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: The idea that everything Sean Mcvay has ever touched is gold could very well burn us.

Honestly? Truly? I'd be okay with Vance Joseph, but would prefer if the Bengals went after Adam Gase. He's a well established offensive mind that can put up with a lot of bullshit and win. His stint in MIami shows this.

We've going pretty far down the McVay coaching line to get these guys...and Taylor hasn't been successful in some prior stings.

Gase was great when he had Peyton Manning.

If he couldn't win with Tannehill, what makes you think he'll win here with Dalton? I'd say Tannehill and Dalton are similar.
Reply/Quote
Just dont make a retread hire (McCarthy) and dont make a hire for a guy that has success with great players (McDaniels).

Look for a young coach who has done more with less. Find coaches who have made bad talent look OK, good talent look great or young talent suddenly develop and ones who are still young enough to take risks and challenge hand-me-down NFL wisdom.

Like a Jeff Brohm would be an awesome hire, but he hasn't paid any bullshit dues I guess.
Reply/Quote

Only nine days into 2019 and we already have the Post of the Year.

Agree 100%, and then some.
Reply/Quote
Rather than reach for a coach, how the bca
Best Coach Available
I don't care if he's offensive, young, old, etc.
I do care about accountability, passion, gumption, innovation.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
Pederson, Reich, McVay and Nagy were seasoned OCs in advanced offenses.

Irrespective of whether they called on gameday, they were involved in game strategy.

Taylor and Waldron concern me greatly!!!!!!!!

We are now delving into the ridiculous. And No. Waldron is not the OC in LA.
Reply/Quote
This entire offense blast could just be a new thing that needs to be figured out - just saying.

But then again the NFLz loves it so..

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 09:27 PM)Big Boss Wrote: We would just need to cross that bridge if we come to it. For now, hiring an offensive minded coach from outside the organization is doing exactly what I want this team to do. Step outside their comfort zone and take a risk, even if it ultimately backfires.

Bingo
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 10:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We've going pretty far down the McVay coaching line to get these guys...and Taylor hasn't been successful in some prior stings.

Gase was great when he had Peyton Manning.

If he couldn't win with Tannehill, what makes you think he'll win here with Dalton? I'd say Tannehill and Dalton are similar.

Let's suppose Tannehill and Dalton are similar. I'm not sure they are, but whatever. Tannehill missed a good chunk of games this past year, and I do believe Jay Cutler was the Dolphins QB in 2017. Brock Osweiller (the only man who can shut down DeAndre Hopkins) filled in for Tannehill this year. The Bengals offense is better than the Miami offense.

It's a moot point... Gase isn't gonna coach in Cincinnati.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 09:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I thought this was a good article. The gist was everyone wants the next McVay.

The trouble could come in giving in to desperation for the next McVay without realizing the unique, freakish skill set of those who succeeded.

Look no further than the 2016 coaching carousel. Everyone in search of the next great offensive mind went into the carnival and came out with their prize.

The Philadelphia Eagles landed Pederson, 50, who led them to their first Super Bowl. Fans can point to him and yell into the night: ‘Go get that guy!’

But wait one second, Pederson was one of seven.

Miami got Adam Gase, Tampa Dirk Koetter, Cleveland Jackson, San Francisco Chip Kelly, NY Giants Ben McAdoo and Tennessee Mike Mularkey. All also from offensive backgrounds.

Three years later all have been fired. The majority went down in flames.

--------------
Gase, Koetter, Jackson while with the Bengals all were successful OC's. Kelly was a hot college commodity.

Being a successful OC and being a great HC are different traits. You need way more skills like leadership, communication, ect.

I will argue the counterpoint that none of those teams had a roster with the talent of Cincinnati, nor had they started a season 9-0.  The Bengals have a lot more talent than those teams, offensively, but it has been neutered with tired, predictable schemes.  Pederson was successful because he used the talent they had and made it work together...I would also give Frank Reich a ton of credit for Philly's success and the subsequent success in Indy. 
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 10:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: If he couldn't win with Tannehill, what makes you think he'll win here with Dalton? I'd say Tannehill and Dalton are similar.

Except Tannehill has never been able to stay healthy and Dalton is rarely injured. Moot point anyway, as Gase is going to HC the NYJ and taking Vance Joseph as his DC...
Reply/Quote