Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals have a chance to help push wobbling Big Ben to a retirement decision.
There is finally some trouble in Steeler land and not only do we see smoke but we can also see the Fire.

Big Ben hinted at retirement last offseason making some question just how much his heart is into playing football. He said he discussed retiring with his wife before the 2017 season and has 3 young children at home. Retiring to focus on the family is an option.

The 2017 season itself has been a rollercoaster of events that have drawn plenty of media scrutiny. Mike Tomlin had the idea that having his team stay off the field in unison would bind his team together during the National Anthem. Show team unity. That backfired in a Big way when offensive tackle Villanueva stood alone on the field during the Anthem. A heavy dose of negative fan reactions to Steelers not being out on the field during the Anthem followed. Roethlisberger later said that he regretted staying in the tunnel for the Anthem and this may not have sat well with many of his teammates who support the protests. Tomlin's attempt at unity actually created a Wedge with many fans and likely amongst some of the players on his team.

Then we have the Antonio Brown throwing a Gatorade cooler incident during an easy win over the Ravens. Upset that Big Ben wasn't getting him the ball, Brown showed his Diva side with a tantrum. Big Ben later responds by calling out Brown on the radio. Responding publicly, instead of in house, is a big "no, no" to many former & current NFL players which led to another storm of criticism directed at Big Ben from the NFL players fraternity.

Then comes the 5 interceptions game and Ben stating afterwards that "maybe I don't have it anymore". Even more criticism comes towards Ben from former players that expect a team leader like Ben to be "all in" at all times with a complete focus on football. Many saying that he should retire if he is even questioning himself at all and that a highly paid leader should not cause his teammates to question whether he is committed or not to putting his heart totally into winning.

With all of the negative things occurring right now for the Steelers, they still are in 1st place in the Division.
The Ravens and Bengals are within Striking range, however, and Big Ben may have one foot on the retirement side in his mind and the other on the football side.

Wobbling and teetering.

This is normally when Big Ben and the Steelers get it together and take Control of things in the Division. Ending any hopes we may have for their demise.

This time has a chance to be different, though.
A tough game at Kansas City is next for the Steelers with a schedule that includes 2 Bengals games, 1 Ravens game, at Lions, at Colts possibly with Andrew Luck, Titans, Packers, Patriots and at Houston.

The Bengals come out of the Bye week with a Golden opportunity to play a smash mouth game with a Wobbling Steelers team that has some internal divisions right now.

The Storybook says that Big Ben returns to form, squashes the Bengals and we have to watch the Steelers pursue another Superbowl.

Maybe, just maybe, this time will be different.

A less than Hungry Big Ben facing heavy criticisms from many angles could be nudged into a retirement decision by a Young & Starving group of talented Bengals players that have a chance to wrest the vice grip Divisional control away from the Steelers organization.

A disappointing end to the 2017 Steeler's season could have them in full blown quarterback search mode this offseason as Ben retires to escape a year of relentless criticism.

A wobbling Top that will either get knocked over or start spinning stronger again.

Geno Atkins, Carl Lawson, Carlos Dunlap and of course Vontaze Burfict all up in Big Ben's grill may just cause Big Ben's football heart to shrink 3 sizes that day coming out of the Bye.

Big Ben has been the Heart and that Steeler heart beat seems weaker right now. Wobbly. Vulnerable.

This young Bengals team has to add to Steeler land troubles with a physically punishing Win.

Time to earn it.
Reply/Quote
It's a must win game, that's for sure. I have a feeling we'll be looking back at this season's packers OT loss and saying "what if". All it would amount to is a 1st round playoff loss anyway, though.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
..just about got to the end of the original post!

Ben is a drama queen.  Until I seem him getting pounded into the turf by Lawson , Geno  , Burfict whoever and losing I'll still assume for us he will always turn up.

On that note I'm glad we are not playing them this week to give them a chance of a bounce back- we get the bye and he gets a tough road visit to KC...hopefully another loss, plenty of QB pressure and another Brown meltdown will soften him up even  more
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 12:30 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: It's a must win game, that's for sure. I have a feeling we'll be looking back at this season's packers OT loss and saying "what if". All it would amount to is a 1st round playoff loss anyway, though.

There is some vulnerability in the AFC that has not existed for a while.

The Patriots usually hold down a #1 or #2 seed each year but are showing signs of being beatable.

Buffalo holds the #2 seed right now even after losing and the Bengals gave them that recent loss.

The Chiefs are the only AFC team that seems destined for a #1 or #2 seed.

The AFC seems more wide open, Steelers are teetering and the Bengals defense is pretty solid. While not great, the Bengals Offense has a capable starting QB and the ability to put some points on the board. Young developing playmakers

They have a chance to Earn it.
Reply/Quote
There's so much to this. You didn't even mention the drama around Leveon Bell holding out this year and not playing at his old level. There is some truth to all of this. Bell and Brown are distractions. Ben looks fed up. Is he physically spent? I doubt it, but he's aging and mentally I think he's tired of Bell and Brown. He misses Heath Miller (constantly brings him up).

They have a tough matchup @KC and the Steelers usually rise to their competition. If they look bad again, then I think it's fair to seriously question them. For now, I think they'll pull it together. But I do think Ben will more seriously consider retirement this offseason. Especially since he'll owe the Steelers less money next year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 12:40 PM)sonofstat Wrote: ..just about got to the end of the original post!

Ben is a drama queen.  Until I seem him getting pounded into the turf by Lawson , Geno  , Burfict whoever and losing I'll still assume for us he will always turn up.

On that note I'm glad we are not playing them this week to give them a chance of a bounce back- we get the bye and he gets a tough road visit to KC...hopefully another loss, plenty of QB pressure and another Brown meltdown will soften him up even  more

Yeah, I wrote a Short Story there. Tongue

A lot of ways the Steeler's season could go south leading to the end of the Big Ben era.

They will have a hard time replacing him.

It would be beyond nice if Ben's era ended with the Bengals taking the Division.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 12:30 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: It's a must win game, that's for sure. I have a feeling we'll be looking back at this season's packers OT loss and saying "what if". All it would amount to is a 1st round playoff loss anyway, though.

Yup. And once again - us getting screwed by a FG Sad
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 12:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There's so much to this. You didn't even mention the drama around Leveon Bell holding out this year and not playing at his old level. There is some truth to all of this. Bell and Brown are distractions. Ben looks fed up. Is he physically spent? I doubt it, but he's aging and mentally I think he's tired of Bell and Brown. He misses Heath Miller (constantly brings him up).

They have a tough matchup @KC and the Steelers usually rise to their competition. If they look bad again, then I think it's fair to seriously question them. For now, I think they'll pull it together. But I do think Ben will more seriously consider retirement this offseason. Especially since he'll owe the Steelers less money next year.

Leveon was yet another distraction as you mention.

Thing is, the Bengals get them out of a Bye week and very possibly after a loss to the Chiefs.

Dagger in the Heart opportunity to Pile On more negativity and fuel the fires of division in the Steeler's locker room.

Golden opportunity....
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 12:55 PM)depthchart Wrote: Leveon was yet another distraction as you mention.

Thing is, the Bengals get them out of a Bye week and very possibly after a loss to the Chiefs.

Dagger in the Heart opportunity to Pile On more negativity and fuel the fires of division in the Steeler's locker room.

Golden opportunity....

No doubt. Assuming they lose in KC, we could send them to a 3-4 record with 3 straight losses...including 2 at Heinz.

I guess when they barely beat the Browns in week 1, it was a sign of things to come.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
That would be nice, but knowing our luck, the steelers will put it all together, go on a tear and win the super bowl. Sending Ben off into the sunset on top of the world Whatever
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 01:03 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: That would be nice, but knowing our luck, the steelers will put it all together, go on a tear and win the super bowl. Sending Ben off into the sunset on top of the world Whatever

Very true. I gave you rep, but only 1 point, because I did not really want to like what you said based on its contents, but I did.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 01:03 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: That would be nice, but knowing our luck, the steelers will put it all together, go on a tear and win the super bowl. Sending Ben off into the sunset on top of the world Whatever

That's my thinking also. It would be nice to beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh and help push Ben Ben into retirement, but your scenario is a more likely one. Sad
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 12:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: No doubt. Assuming they lose in KC, we could send them to a 3-4 record with 3 straight losses...including 2 at Heinz.

I guess when they barely beat the Browns in week 1, it was a sign of things to come.

If I had to place money on it, I would still bet on the Steelers, however, there are some obvious chinks in their armor.

Either the Ravens or the Bengals stand in line with a chance to topple the Steelers from their Perch. Especially longer term should Ben retire.

It would be cool if that last game of the season at the Ravens was for the Division.
Reply/Quote
Happy for you guys on 2 win a row. I hope you beat up on the Steelers after the bye week. I think you will. They are falling apart.
Reply/Quote
Unleash the Burfict on Ben !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
and Bell !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 01:15 PM)depthchart Wrote: If I had to place money on it, I would still bet on the Steelers, however, there are some obvious chinks in their armor.

Either the Ravens or the Bengals stand in line with a chance to topple the Steelers from their Perch. Especially longer term should Ben retire.

It would be cool if that last game of the season at the Ravens was for the Division.

Well same here. Hard to bet on the Bengals when Marv is 8-22 against the Steelers.

If it makes anyone feel better, we're 6-8 at Heinz and our next game is there.

And yeah, we're 2-12 against the Steelers in Cincy under Marv. 2-14 if you include playoffs.
Reply/Quote
They are gonna fall like a led zeppelin!!!!
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2017, 01:26 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Unleash the Burfict on Ben !

You know that Burfict and Pac Man are going to be completely Fired up for some revenge against the Steelers.

That could Backfire but at this point I'll take another Burfict suspension for a borderline legal or not shot on Ben or Bell or Brown.

The Bengals have to be Starving Hungry for some revenge and some Respect.

I want a War and for this Young Bengal team to "want it more" and take it...
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals had their new Offensive coordinator by week 1 they would be 5-1. I truly believe that. They are way better than Baltimore and Houston. Also they were better than us for the most part in week 3.
Reply/Quote