Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Bengals haven't done enough to address O-line problems.
I know it is still very early and lots of things can happen but if the Bengals dont make any more moves to improve the O-line other than sign Cappa and Karras the O-line will have issues again next season. While Karras is good as a guard he is not as good at center. His previous two years at center he played at about the same level as Hopkins so having Karras at center doesnt upgrade what we already have with Hopkins. Cappa is a big upgrade from Adeniji no doubt but if Cappa is the only upgrade on the O-line and every other position plays at the same level, Burrow is going to take a beating again. The Bengals need to do more to fix the O-line.
Reply/Quote
I would prefer they address both C and RT, but I can live with either/or if they use some of the other money towards other units. I’d prefer not to have to rely on our draft to find starters on the O-line since we have sucked at it.
Reply/Quote
Still need to get a rt and LG.

I would have taken Moses for 3 years $15 million.
Reply/Quote
They got two guys day one. They weren’t going to sign 3-4 the first couple days of FA. I assure you, they aren’t done.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 12:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They got two guys day one. They weren’t going to sign 3-4 the first couple days of FA. I assure you, they aren’t done.

Agree 

am very pleased so far and think a RT is really all that is needed now imho. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Take a breath, there is still a lot of time left. Guys will be released and we need not rush into anything at the moment.
Reply/Quote
Glad some of you guys are dishwashers and not GM’s. Look at all the really good players that got released today to get under the cap. Geez.
Reply/Quote
We need to upgrade the C position. Something like 68% of Burrows sacks came up the middle. Get a C and resign Reiff.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 11:40 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: While Karras is good as a guard he is not as good at center.  His previous two years at center he played at about the same level as Hopkins so having Karras at center doesnt upgrade what we already have with Hopkins.

I agree we need one or two more additions but this statement just isn't true.  If you look at PFF grades Hopkins= 51 Karras= 73.  That's a pretty big difference. 

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 01:30 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I agree we need one or two more additions but this statement just isn't true.  If you look at PFF grades Hopkins= 51 Karras= 73.  That's a pretty big difference. 

Right guard just improved so greatly that even with Hopkins at center, the line just went from bad, to average-ish
Reply/Quote
I bet they are also looking at Tretter. if he's a fit, then Karras moves to LG.
Hopkins would likely be released in that scenario. As Karras would be Back up C, and Carman back up LG.

Then only thing is find a 1-2 year placeholding vet and draft/develop a RT.
Reply/Quote
1) Karras at C is a miniscule upgrade over Hopkins but would be a substantial upgrade over Carman at LG. He is a small but significant uograde over Spain.

LT: Same
LG: Small upgrade (Karras) or significant downgrade (Carman)
C: Same (Hopkins) or miniscule upgrade (Karras)
RG: Large to huge upgrade (Cappa)
RT: Same
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 02:18 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: 1) Karras at C is a miniscule upgrade over Hopkins but would be a substantial upgrade over Carman at LG. He is a small but significant uograde over Spain.

LT: Same
LG: Small upgrade (Karras) or significant downgrade (Carman)
C: Same (Hopkins) or miniscule upgrade (Karras)
RG: Large to huge upgrade (Cappa)
RT: Same

I think you are depending way to much on PFF Grading.

Ted Karras has been improving with snaps. 2019 was his first year getting a high percentage of game snaps. In 2020 he switched teams/offenses but was still continued to improve. 2021 New England Ted Karras was better because he has developed and is trusting his technique especially in pass protection. It's not because he suddenly got better moving from Center to Guard. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Haha, what?

Reply/Quote
How often do we even have commitments by day two? We’ve clearly shown that the long neglected issue, which we’ve tried solving via grooming or bargain shopping, is finally a priority. Let’s give them some space to work. I’m willing to have faith that at a minimum we still have a Reif level tackle incoming, that along with our two signee's and our current roster of ascending (hopefully ) talent is enough to satisfy me. We could do more, but we could do much less. I’ll trust the process.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 11:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Still need to get a rt and LG.

I would have taken Moses for 3 years $15 million.

Ugh. I hadn't seen that yet until seeing your post and to the Ravens no less. I'm hoping they're silence yesterday means they are working on something and Moses would've been a fine addition and very affordable. We have to do something at RT I really don't think we're in position to fix it this year in the draft. Wonder if they'll just sign Reiff and draft one late in the 1st. Trade for Collins or someone take a swing.
Reply/Quote
Man, it’s amazing how half you guys are already over Carman. Dude was a rookie who was coming off back surgery. He now has a full healthy off season and a little experience.

Don’t sit in this forum and think you know more than the guys getting paid to upgrade this team.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 07:26 AM)Cosmokramer Wrote: Man, it’s amazing how half you guys are already over Carman.  Dude was a rookie who was coming off back surgery.  He now has a full healthy off season and a little experience.

Don’t sit in this forum and think you know more than the guys getting paid to upgrade this team.

I don't think people are over Carman. But relying on the guy to start is just a bad idea. He was not able to beat out Hakeem Adeniji 21 games into his rookie season. He will likely improve in his second season but...what if he doesn't? Are you really going to bank on a player to take a transcendent leap from year 1 to year 2 and have no back up plan if he does not take that leap? That's how you get Cedric Ogbuehi'd.

No one wants to get Cedric Ogbuehi'd again.
Reply/Quote
I know Spain fell off late but I want to bring Spain back and if possible get Reiff back as a swing tackle. If we could get one more good lineman that would be great.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 08:22 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I know Spain fell off late but I want to bring Spain back and if possible get Reiff back as a swing tackle. If we could get one more good lineman that would be great.

I think we have to bring Big Spain back, if nothing else just for quality depth. Having him fresh late in the season should there be an injury would be nice.
Reply/Quote