Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals land G- John Miller
(03-16-2019, 10:41 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Do you really think this is anyone other than a regular board member that has created an alt? 

I guess that's possible.  Probably since it's not something I would ever think to do, it never occurred to me that someone else would.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
This is an interesting read. It says Miller struggles in Zone Blocking schemes, but he excels in Power Blocking schemes. Hopefully, we did our due diligence on that.

I have not seen anything on schemes yet.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/3/15/18267625/former-buffalo-bills-guard-john-miller-signs-hefty-deal-with-cincinnati-bengals
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 10:50 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This is an interesting read. It says Miller struggles in Zone Blocking schemes, but he excels in Power Blocking schemes. Hopefully, we did our due diligence on that.

I have not seen anything on schemes yet.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/3/15/18267625/former-buffalo-bills-guard-john-miller-signs-hefty-deal-with-cincinnati-bengals

Is just north of 5 mil a year really that hefty in today's NFL?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 11:04 AM)McC Wrote: Is just north of 5 mil a year really that hefty in today's NFL?

For a starting Guard, I don't think so.

The context though they saw him in and out of the starting lineup in Buffalo in a Zone Blocking Scheme...then he did better in a switch to a Power Scheme.

To Bills fans, he's a little more capable Bobby Hart.

I say he's still an upgrade to Redmond and in the right scheme I think he could thrive.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 11:07 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: For a starting Guard, I don't think so.

The context though they saw him in and out of the starting lineup in Buffalo in a Zone Blocking Scheme...then he did better in a switch to a Power Scheme.

To Bills fans, he's a little more capable Bobby Hart.

I say he's still an upgrade to Redmond and in the right scheme I think he could thrive.

I see people calling him average.  If that's all he is, that is indeed a big jump up from Redmond.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 11:09 AM)McC Wrote: I see people calling him average.  If that's all he is, that is indeed a big jump up from Redmond.

Yep. That's my point too. It's a big step up from the #53 Guard to the #25 guy.

IF I was forced to express a concern, it would be that his pass blocking grade was actually lower than Redmonds. But it's only slightly lower. And I think scheme could fix that.
Reply/Quote
Funny how we sign an obscure player from another team and the rah rah crowd jumps with joy. If someone thinks we need to sign a top free agent the same people say "they must not be that good if their team let them walk".
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 11:30 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Funny how we sign an obscure player from another team and the rah rah crowd jumps with joy. If someone thinks we need to sign a top free agent the same people say "they must not be that good if their team let them walk".

Which top FA did you want to sign?

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 05:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: The Ravens got Mark Ingram and Earl Thomas coming off a broken leg.  They've lost Suggs, Mosely, Smith, Weddle, Brown, and Flacco.  

Thomas graded a 91, Ingram a 79 and Suggs was I think like a 69. I try to browse other teams message boards to get their take, I think that they know more than we do about their own team. Suggs was awesome but even the best eventually wear down, his name is now bigger than his play. Moving on from Flacco is like moving on from Dalton, at least they have the guts to gamble with the move. Dalton is kinda like Marvin Lewis territory, it’s a comfort zone. He’s been decent but the team shouldn’t be afraid to aim higher than just decent. They are though!
Reply/Quote
Average is a step in the right direction from poor. Miller will help.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 12:16 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote:
Thomas graded a 91, Ingram a 79 and Suggs was I think like a 69
. I try to browse other teams message boards to get their take, I think that they know more than we do about their own team. Suggs was awesome but even the best eventually wear down, his name is now bigger than his play. Moving on from Flacco is like moving on from Dalton, at least they have the guts to gamble with the move. Dalton is kinda like Marvin Lewis territory, it’s a comfort zone. He’s been decent but the team shouldn’t be afraid to aim higher than just decent. They are though!

Are you saying these guys can't play based on 1 year of PFF ratings?

Thomas got paid long term deal for $13 million a year
Suggs got 1 year and $7 million
Ingram, 3 years 15 million (Ravens have a great run blocking OL so let's check his numbers playing full time (was back up at NO) before we act like guy was average or bad)
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 11:09 AM)McC Wrote: I see people calling him average.  If that's all he is, that is indeed a big jump up from Redmond.

Is it? Is that our criteria to go from below average NFL starter to average NFL starter and be cause to be happy??

I wished we would have traded for the old Raven and Raider guard. Instead, the Jets got him.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 09:11 AM)McC Wrote: Seems like you took the time to come here, open an account to say good luck with him, he sucks.  So, thanks for that.  Did a lot of Bengal fans do that when you signed Bodine?  Or did we just have better things to do?

My account has been open for a while as it was fun discussing past games between the 2 clubs. 
Oddly, we did have a few Bengals fans give us a forewarning about Bodine but at the same time Bills fans were rolling their eyes at the pickup as it was a pretty lame attempt to save face after Ritchie and Wood were lost.
As ive mentioned 2x however,  there is a difference. Bodine is what he is. Miller, although a liability the way he was being used - flashed potential. Just bc I told you he was nothing short of terrible on a terrible line, doesnt mean you need to ignore the fact that he could benefit for a scheme change and turn into the player he was 2 yrs ago when he showed potential. So if anything, the takeaway should be he has had a rough 2 years BUT if used properly he could be a nice addition . More of a he could make you scream, but he could pleasantly suprise.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 01:02 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Is it? Is that our criteria to go from below average NFL starter to average NFL starter and be cause to be happy??

I wished we would have traded for the old Raven and Raider guard. Instead, the Jets got him.

Did I say that?  It was a pretty simple statement that didn't exactly require exalted IQ to understand.

Reply/Quote
Until/unless we go in complete rebuild mode I consider a FA period where we get at least 1 starter quality player under 30. Miller checks the block for me. I'd love to see a splash such as Jamie Collins at SAM, but he's always been a personal favorite.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
It looks to me that the Bengals are going to be a run heavy offense with Dalton able to manage the game.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 12:59 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Are you saying these guys can't play based on 1 year of PFF ratings?

Thomas got paid long term deal for $13 million a year
Suggs got 1 year and $7 million
Ingram, 3 years 15 million (Ravens have a great run blocking OL so let's check his numbers playing full time (was back up at NO) before we act like guy was average or bad)

I’m not saying that they can’t play. I concede that the Ravens lost some talent. They’re not afraid to sign free agents though, they’re probably not done. The Bengals either fear or are to cheap to sign anyone regarded higher than mediocre. Let’s revisit when Free Agency ends.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 11:38 AM)McC Wrote: Which top FA did you want to sign?

I'll give you a clue ,it wasn't Hart. 
Reply/Quote
Miller may mean our new coaches are planning on moving away from zone blocking. Which would be good as pretty much our whole line is better suited to drive blocking as is Miller.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 01:19 PM)Gobills123 Wrote: My account has been open for a while as it was fun discussing past games between the 2 clubs. 
Oddly, we did have a few Bengals fans give us a forewarning about Bodine but at the same time Bills fans were rolling their eyes at the pickup as it was a pretty lame attempt to save face after Ritchie and Wood were lost.
As ive mentioned 2x however,  there is a difference. Bodine is what he is. Miller, although a liability the way he was being used - flashed potential. Just bc I told you he was nothing short of terrible on a terrible line, doesnt mean you need to ignore the fact that he could benefit for a scheme change and turn into the player he was 2 yrs ago when he showed potential. So if anything, the takeaway should be he has had a rough 2 years BUT if used properly he could be a nice addition . More of a he could make you scream, but he could pleasantly suprise.

I read takes that he was bad for a few years, but the last year in a power blocking scheme he thrived run blocking.

His pass blocking appears to be an issue though.
Reply/Quote