Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals land G- John Miller
(03-15-2019, 04:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Miller should really help our run game.

He's not a good pass blocker though, but maybe our system will fit his style better?

Maybe they will go zone blocking.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like it.
Reply/Quote
I'm happy with this signing. Not a flashy, big money name, but definitely an upgrade at a position that we desperately needed on at.

I like that he's a good run blocker. It would be really nice to see the Bengals converting some 3rd and 2s and 4th and 1s, by simply handing the ball to Mixon up the gut. Being able to run the ball when you want to, as opposed to catching the defense by surprise, is a valuable asset to have in football.

On another note, we should finally see a healthy and fully prepared Billy Price at Center this season. I have a feeling that our offense will look a lot better this season, than last.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 04:13 PM)Whatever Wrote: How in the world can you look at who the Ravens and Steelers lost and say they improved, let alone improved more than the Bengals?

I did say after Free Agency ends..... The Ravens haven’t done too badly.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 05:40 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I did say after Free Agency ends.....  The Ravens haven’t done too badly.

The Ravens got Mark Ingram and Earl Thomas coming off a broken leg.  They've lost Suggs, Mosely, Smith, Weddle, Brown, and Flacco.  
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 01:13 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:

WELCOME JOHN MILLER.  So coaches have added a D Player and an O Lineman first days of free agency. I look for them to add more. Lets face it, more tackling and blocking is needed on this team.  GO BENGALS
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 01:34 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Per rotoworld.  An upgrade yes, but an average starter at best.  Hmmm

Better than the walking dead we had in there last year.....
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 02:53 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Given that Price tore his pec at the combine and couldn't lift all year, I'm surprised he didn't get steamrolled every play. He will not only be smarter, but much stronger this season.

People also seem to forget that Price injured his foot. For an O lineman that's your base. So last season he was held out of OTAs and minicamps (and lifting) due to his torn pec. Then after just a few games he injured his foot. Throw in the inexperience factor and you have a lot of evidence for why he didnt perform all that well last season. 

I will give the kid a pass on that. If he comes in this year uninjured, with a full off season of learning the offense and lifting, I think he may surprise a lot of people who are claiming his demise.
Reply/Quote
Anytime we can improve on a position, is a good move to me.

Redmond was just a mess last year with the constant penalties, not to mention his atrocious blocking.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Price was injured in the second quarter of game 2. He then missed six games. I want to see what happens if he has a full offseason to prep.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 04:53 PM)Joelist Wrote: If that's all he allowed blocking for Josh "hold the ball forever" Allen then he may not be bad.

Lol, Allen has been called MANY things- but this hasnt been one of them. The kid had to run for his life more often than not due to the combo that his line was porous, they couldnt get the run game going AND his WR didnt get open/seperation.

Miller may be a change of scenery guy.
He had potential under Rex, but didnt fit the new regime.
He was a liability on one of the worst lines in football last year- and consider Bodine was there as well lol. Sadly, Bodine may actly stick around as a backup but luckily he will no longer need to be a key cog but simply depth. Same situation with Miller, he was just noticeably worse quite often and when guys come in... guys get moved on from.
Buffalo made a huge effort to get better there and he just wasnt part of the plan ESP at that money. 
He is was a guy who should have been rotational/backup getting thrust in as a starter bc there was nothing better.
Hopefully for you guys (and him bc he seemed like a good kid) its one of those situations where a change of scenery and game plan do him well. He was in a situation where he was starting on a team that was having a treading water/trying not to drown year while their rookie qb got some reps and the team ate up as much dead cap qs they possibly could so this year they got a fresh slate for a rebuild. He just apparently wasnt part of it. I wish him success with you guys!
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 12:37 AM)Gobills123 Wrote: Lol, Allen has been called MANY things- but this hasnt been one of them. The kid had to run for his life more often than not due to the combo that his line was porous, they couldnt get the run game going AND his WR didnt get open/seperation.

Miller may be a change of scenery guy.
He had potential under Rex, but didnt fit the new regime.
He was a liability on one of the worst lines in football last year- and consider Bodine was there as well lol. Sadly, Bodine may actly stick around as a backup but luckily he will no longer need to be a key cog but simply depth. Same situation with Miller, he was just noticeably worse quite often and when guys come in... guys get moved on from.
Buffalo made a huge effort to get better there and he just wasnt part of the plan ESP at that money. 
He is was a guy who should have been rotational/backup getting thrust in as a starter bc there was nothing better.
Hopefully for you guys (and him bc he seemed like a good kid) its one of those situations where a change of scenery and game plan do him well. He was in a situation where he was starting on a team that was having a treading water/trying not to drown year while their rookie qb got some reps and the team ate up as much dead cap qs they possibly could so this year they got a fresh slate for a rebuild. He just apparently wasnt part of it. I wish him success with you guys!

Josh Allen had the highest Time to Throw in the NFL in 2019 at 3.22 seconds. So yea he held on to the ball a little...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 12:46 AM)Synric Wrote: Josh Allen had the highest Time to Throw in the NFL in 2019 at 3.22 seconds. So yea he held on to the ball a little...

Really? Thats your take away? Throwing some rando stat w zero context that you specifically googled to allign with something you think you know but really havent taken the time or effort to 'actually ' know except for your google search?

Jee wiz man. 
Is that how you treat all your guests? I like the Bengals. Ive always enjoyed seeing them do well as another AFC team when my rooting interest is done. Heck, the final game 2 years ago was icing on the cake! Because of that, i figured Id take a minute and lyk as a Bills fan although Miller didnt find success with us, a scheme fit may do him - and you- well.

You decide to try and tell me how the qb of the team I root for and watched every snap last played based on a stat you liked totally out of context? With respect, thats kind of ignorant. Just as it would be if I came here and started laying Dalton stats on you that are similarly as lazy as the ones national pundits protray to fit their narriative. Its as silly as if i told you Andy Daltons .6 QBR wk 1 in 2017 means he is a terrible qb. Its not true but out of context it can be viewed a certian way. Lets be better than that huh? Its odd... but even with a statment like that I'll still defer to you when discussing what you would know better.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 05:01 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Maybe they will go zone blocking.

Zone blocking is where Miller struggles. He's a mauler phone booth type of guy. Bang it out, steamroll some pass rush 3 techs kind of a dude. Maybe throw him in for some goalline stuff. Anthony Linn(chargers HC) said that he was pro-bowl worthy once upon a time, for what that's worth.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 02:08 AM)Gobills123 Wrote: Really? Thats your take away? Throwing some rando stat w zero context that you specifically googled to allign with something you think you know but really havent taken the time or effort to 'actually ' know except for your google search?

Jee wiz man. 
Is that how you treat all your guests? I like the Bengals. Ive always enjoyed seeing them do well as another AFC team when my rooting interest is done. Heck, the final game 2 years ago was icing on the cake! Because of that, i figured Id take a minute and lyk as a Bills fan although Miller didnt find success with us, a scheme fit may do him - and you- well.

You decide to try and tell me how the qb of the team I root for and watched every snap last played based on a stat you liked totally out of context? With respect, thats kind of ignorant. Just as it would be if I came here and started laying Dalton stats on you that are similarly as lazy as the ones national pundits protray to fit their narriative. Its as silly as if i told you Andy Daltons .6 QBR wk 1 in 2017 means he is a terrible qb. Its not true but out of context it can be viewed a certian way. Lets be better than that huh? Its odd... but even with a statment like that I'll still defer to you when discussing what you would know better.

Welcome to The Bengals Board man. I wasnt trying to give you a hard time if you took it that way.

I was just showing a legitimate stat that correlates with how long a QB holds onto a football. Time to Throw measures the average time it takes for a QB from the snap to release. 

Because we are discussing offensive linemen that stat effects their pass protection not the other way around. Since you mentioned Dalton he had one of the worst lines in the NFL and his time to throw was 2.61 seconds which was 5th lowest meaning he got the ball out of his hands very quickly. It also kept his sack stats down even though the line gave up a ton of pressures. Josh Allen held on to the football it's a fact 3.22 seconds is high.

These are Next Gen Stats. https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw
One of the cute blondes shows them on the NFL network.  Cool
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 02:27 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Zone blocking is where Miller struggles. He's a mauler phone booth type of guy. Bang it out, steamroll some pass rush 3 techs kind of a dude. Maybe throw him in for some goalline stuff. Anthony Linn(chargers HC) said that he was pro-bowl worthy once upon a time, for what that's worth.

I think the Rams ran different variants of zone blocking so they may try it here
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 01:30 PM)Synric Wrote: John Miller had a rough season in pass protection but I have to wonder how much of that was on rookie QB Josh Allen.

Have to wait and see. Aka Bengals 2019 offseason motto...I wonder if they can put that on t shirts.

I thought every off season (and in season) motto was "Welp, there's always next season!"  If not it should be or at least shoulda been.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 02:08 AM)Gobills123 Wrote: Really? Thats your take away? Throwing some rando stat w zero context that you specifically googled to allign with something you think you know but really havent taken the time or effort to 'actually ' know except for your google search?

Jee wiz man. 

Seems like you took the time to come here, open an account to say good luck with him, he sucks.  So, thanks for that.  Did a lot of Bengal fans do that when you signed Bodine?  Or did we just have better things to do?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 09:11 AM)McC Wrote: Seems like you took the time to come here, open an account to say good luck with him, he sucks.  So, thanks for that.  Did a lot of Bengal fans do that when you signed Bodine?  Or did we just have better things to do?

Haha. Exactly. I've read mixed reviews on Miller. I've read he has the talent to dominate at times and others he gets pushed around. He's a better run blocker than pass blocker.

However, you slice it...he's better than Redmond by a decent margin.

The Bills are kind of a team how we are. It's possible that if you put him in the right system he thrives.

Would I bet on it? No. But, even if he just plays like he did last year...he's better than Redmond.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 09:11 AM)McC Wrote: Seems like you took the time to come here, open an account to say good luck with him, he sucks.  So, thanks for that.  Did a lot of Bengal fans do that when you signed Bodine?  Or did we just have better things to do?

Do you really think this is anyone other than a regular board member that has created an alt? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote