Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
'Bengals need to part ways with Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins now'
I know there's a thread about Geno and Carlos being frustrated, but I though this article deserved it own:

Dehner Jr.: Bengals need to part ways with Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins now

'How long must the charade continue?

This organization made two mistakes giving large third contracts to Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap.

It did. Spin it any way you’d like, the fact that $25 million in cap hit this year is tied up in two aging 30-somethings who have contributed next to nothing is a debilitating reality.

With a 21-point lead Sunday, the Bengals needed two quality pass rushers to put Philip Rivers and the Colts away.

Instead, on the biggest play of the game, their defensive line consisted of Xavier Williams, Christian Covington, Andrew Brown and Khalid Kareem.

Or otherwise known as a guy plucked off the street last Tuesday, a guy traded for in September, a recent healthy scratch who was waived Monday and a rookie fifth-round pick.

On the sideline was $25 million in pass rushers.

Anarumo and head coach Zac Taylor are in the crosshairs as any coordinator and coach with three wins in 22 games should be. I question how they allowed the relationship with these former players to get so toxic or why Carl Lawson ever comes off the field at this point, but they probably aren’t wrong on who is giving them the best chance to win.

Atkins has zero pressures in 37 snaps this season. Zero. Not a second spent breathing the same air as the quarterback. He has all zeros across every stat in the box score. Not a tackle. Not an assist. Not a thing. If the shoulder he’s dealing with is part of this, then maybe an IR stint is necessary.

He needs to play like a 14m defensive tackle. That’s what the Bengals needed Sunday. He contributed nothing in the snaps he did have, which has mostly been the case in the past few years.

Dunlap’s disinterested effort has translated to his base production. He ranks 47th out of 58 qualifying edge rushers in pass-rush productivity and dead last on the team despite the most pass-rush snaps.

We can argue how it came to this. This isn’t about who carries the blame for the undeniable disconnect created between these players and the staff. Bottom line, between the public bashing Dunlap has fired at the organization and staff at every turn possible this season and the lack of desire illustrated by Atkins to play, much less provide production, it’s obvious there’s no resolution here.

It’s over. The organization has constantly latched onto somehow re-creating 2015, and this is the latest lame attempt.

You have three options for this moment in time. Get rid of Dunlap and Atkins, eating the rest of their ill-advised contracts. Or force the coaching staff to find some way to make it work and risk the veterans continuing to hang around and infect a new core of the locker room. Get rid of the coordinator and hope a new face in charge makes them magically start playing like they are 27 again, at the same time jeopardizing the progress you have seen at other positions, namely with Jessie Bates, William Jackson III and the young linebackers (wasn’t everyone praising Anarumo last week for the innovative plan and success against Lamar Jackson and the Ravens?).

For those discussing a trade, save your breath. Finding teams willing to trade away anything for the large contracts and unproductive tape available on Atkins and Dunlap is wildly misunderstanding the market.

If you actually could find some team willing to give up any assets for those players, then lump that into these conversations as well.

More specifically, just cut them now. End it.'
Reply/Quote
But, they're veterans....
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 03:32 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Atkins has zero pressures in 37 snaps this season. Zero. Not a second spent breathing the same air as the quarterback.

Geno is just practicing effective social distancing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm with Dehner. I'm not a Zac fan at all, but I'll give him some credit for benching two big name vets that apparently do not fit their scheme. That takes some guts. But keeping them around now that they are grumbling doesn't make sense. So trade them each for a Day 3 pick, or go ahead and release them if nobody bites on a trade.
Reply/Quote
I wonder what things would be like if this team was 4 and 2 or 3 and 3 now and trending upward?
How much displeasure would be posted on social media?.....if any at all?
Reply/Quote
He's right....He is on Mo's show right now and he had a good example:

Which worked better last year:

Parting ways with Preston Brown or sticking with a malcontent in Cordy Glenn? It isn't even close. Time to move on. Thanks for the memories. There were as many good memories as bad ones, and they were a big part in those good memories.
Reply/Quote
I never saw this much player dissension in all of Marvin Lewis years combined
Reply/Quote
They'll never do it.

They already look stupid for not trading these guys last season, or cutting them in the offseason. If they cut them now it would be an admission of guilt, and would just spotlight their ineptitude even more.

They'll try to save what little face they have left, by keeping these guys involved, before they admit they were wrong. Even if it's in spite of the team and the locker room, I still can't see them making these moves.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 04:15 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: He's right....He is on Mo's show right now and he had a good example:

Which worked better last year:  

Parting ways with Preston Brown or sticking with a malcontent in Cordy Glenn?  It isn't even close.  Time to move on.  Thanks for the memories.  There were as many good memories as bad ones, and they were a big part in those good memories.
1.) Brown wasn't good and was never in the same league as Geno or Carlos.
2.) The offensive line would be better with Glenn than it is now. A Williams/Glenn Tackle combination over A Hart/ Williams any day of the week.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 04:30 PM)J24 Wrote: 1.) Brown wasn't good and was never in the same league as Geno or Carlos.
2.) The offensive line would be better with Glenn than it is now. A Williams/Glenn Tackle combination over A Hart/ Williams any day of the week.

1.) News Flash: Geno and Carlos aren't good either.  Not anymore.

2.) Good point about Cordy Glenn.  Who does he play for again? 
Reply/Quote
Paul doesn't like either Dunlap or Geno so I advise people to take his word with a grain of salt.

This team needs to win and Taylor definitely needs wins. Playing Geno and Carlos gives you the best chance to win. Also this team isn't far out of the playoff spot this season and a win against Cleveland puts them in decent position for a playoff spot.

How is it fair to judge the other players on the roster if you get rid of two of the best players. How can you give a proper evaluation of the young guys if you don't even give them a fighting chance.?How is the secondary supposed to play at a high level with zero pass rush? How are the LBers supposed to play with zero penetration from the DTs? How is Carl Lawson supposed to create pressure when he is the only pass rush threat?

Also what happens when Atkins and Dunlap go elsewhere and ball out? Mean while the Bengals get nothing for those two guys and again are struggling to compete next season? How are they going to explain that to a Joe Burrow or a Jessie Bates? Hey we had the solution on the roster but we didn't know how to use them so oh well not our fault!

The Coaching staff needs to do a better job of using the players the right way and stop alienating guys left and right.
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 04:27 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I never saw this much player dissension in all of Marvin Lewis years combined

Because if you were a vet, or a high draft pick, your spot was guaranteed. It's one of the things people complained about.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 04:53 PM)J24 Wrote: Paul doesn't like either Dunlap or Geno so I advise people to take his word with a grain of salt.

This team needs to win and Taylor definitely needs wins. Playing Geno and Carlos gives you the best chance to win. Also this team isn't far out of the playoff spot this season and a win against Cleveland puts them in decent position for a playoff spot.

How is it fair to judge the other players on the roster if you get rid of two of the best players. How can you give a proper evaluation of the young guys if you don't even give them a fighting chance.?How is the secondary supposed to play at a high level with zero pass rush? How are the LBers supposed to play with zero penetration from the DTs? How is Carl Lawson supposed to create pressure when he is the only pass rush threat?

Also what happens when Atkins and Dunlap go elsewhere and ball out? Mean while the Bengals get nothing for those two guys and again are struggling to compete next season? How are they going to explain that to a Joe Burrow or a Jessie Bates? Hey we had the solution on the roster but we didn't know how to use them so oh well not our fault!

The Coaching staff needs to do a better job of using the players the right way and stop alienating guys left and right.

You realize that's the problem with playing Atkins and Dunlap. No pass rush and no penetration.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 04:33 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 1.) News Flash: Geno and Carlos aren't good either.  Not anymore.

2.) Good point about Cordy Glenn.  Who does he play for again? 

1.) How would you know? Geno has only played 36 snaps this season and Dunlap came into the colts game playing good football. Eagles Game 9 solo Tackles (6 stops), Jaguars game pff grade of a 70, and he had a sack in the Raven game. 

2.) So? 
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 03:32 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: This organization made two mistakes giving large third contracts to Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap.

At the time we gave Geno his last contract he had 29 sacks, 67 QB hits, 3 Straight Pro Bowls and an All-Pro selection in the three previous years.

So anyone got a link to Paul trashing the move back then?

He is not playing well now.  I don't know why, but I have no problem if we release him.  BUt I just hate all these guys who trash the team with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 04:30 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: They already look stupid for not trading these guys last season, or cutting them in the offseason.

Geno's fellow NFL players selected him  to the Pro Bowl and we had NO ONE on the roster to replace him.

When Dunlap got healthy last year he was as productive as and DE in the league over the last half of the season.

Bengals would have looked foolish getting rid of two of their best players at the same time they were claiming they were trying to win now.  Coming into this season almost everyone here talked about how the D-line was going to be one of the strengths of the team and it was not because of Christian Covington and Khalid Kareem.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 05:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You realize that's the problem with playing Atkins and Dunlap. No pass rush and no penetration.

Lawson is the only player on the team with more sacks and QB hits than Dunlap.

How you going to blame the lack of pass rush on him.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 05:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lawson is the only player on the team with more sacks and QB hits than Dunlap.

How you going to blame the lack of pass rush on him.

How many sacks does he have this year?
Reply/Quote
Even though we're only one year removed from this FO making changes to the "norm", I feel like they'll do this no-brainer move (cut both of them this offseason). This team is at least two years away from really competing, there's no reason to keep those bloated/old contracts on the team especially if they are playing like shit. Cut bait and move on.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 05:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You realize that's the problem with playing Atkins and Dunlap. No pass rush and no penetration.

Atkins has only played 36 snaps this season so I have zero idea how anyone can honestly give an opinion of his play so far 

Secondly Dunlap played well the previous 3 games so once again the demise of him has been extremely exaggerated just like last season.
J24

Reply/Quote